Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought Ken's trolling game was weak yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Flynn really underestimated the challenge of taking on McConville.

He had some interesting points later about the Dublin team and standards, but the bit of about anti Dub was nonsense and McConvillr was right to go after it as hard as he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I enjoyed Paul Flynn asking "have you read the rule book?". That backfired when Oisin answered "yes". It was weird hearing the raised voice from Oisin. Such BS from Paul Flynn though and rightly Oisin called him out on it.

Pillar Caffrey was also saying similar stuff, probably worse as he was saying that everyone he spoke to was saying it was a great hit. He was basically laughed at and told that just wasn't right at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not a fan of Paul Flynn at all. Can just imagine him at the front of a meeting room talking corporate waffle to a room of stooges who will eat it up.

That being said the tension between himself and Oisinn has made for great podcast content!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

surely there is a Nobel prize to be awarded to Oisin for not being online? Pretty disgusting he wasn’t applauded by the other contributors. He seems to think he deserves it.

I thought that part of the conversation was a shitshow to be honest. Paul Flynn has a point on the abuse of amateur players (and referees) which is getting way too close to the bone. I understand philly mcmahon was abused about his brother and Da dying on Twitter. Dublin fans are no shrinking violets themselves when it comes to online abuse.

but anyway paul flynn got his point across badly and Oisin went in like John small did.

I think he got his point across quite well. It was just an awful point to be making. I didn't see the abuse he was getting about his brother and his Da. I am online. I presume it was very much a small element then. I didn't really see any abuse of John small. I think he has been given the benefit of doubt by most people. I don't know the guy at all. But it looked to me like he didn't really care where he got the other player.

Flynn's point about the players having no duty of care? Absolute nonsense and the sort of attitude that should be nowhere near the game. I would hope he isn't coaching any young players.

Of course players should have a duty of care. In so many other sports you wouldn't get away with that. American football, it would be a hit on a defenceless receiver and in rugby it would be a high tackle. Two games that are much more vicious than GAA. GAA seem to be all high and mighty at times over other sports, in particular over soccer. GAA has zero reason to be on any high horse.

shoulder charge a guy while observing a duty of care towards him. I don’t think that makes any sense outside of a rule book.

because any time you physically monster someone legally (which a shoulder amounts to) you can’t do it in a way that is mindful to the safety of an opponent. You can write those words down in a rulebook but they don’t make any sense.

Of course they make sense. You can shoulder a player, shoulder to shoulder. That would be taking into account the care of the other player. Not shoulder to the jaw. Or to the chest or in the back. If you mistime it, it's your fault and you should be put off.

If it is shoulder to shoulder then you are most like going to hurt the player but injure them. Big difference.

• Advertisement

a shoulder to a head is illegal within the rules so that’s nothing to do with a duty of care. I don’t understand how I can shoulder or be shouldered while a duty of care is being observed. Suppose I am fairly shouldered but still get my shoulder dislocated.... did the opponent observe a duty of care? Talking about a duty of care is rulebook nonsense talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Is breaking someone's jaw not 'abuse'?

Disgusting stuff from the Dubs on Saturday imo, thank god there's no Omerta in calling out thugs as thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

that was ridiculous, it should be oisin asking paul has he read the rule book and seen the bit about duty of care.

it made no sense paul asking oisin and when he said yes, passing it as off 'yerra you must have been the only one to read it'. in paul's head everybody is winging it and nobody has any real idea of the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You must be being intentionally obtuse. If you're thundering in for a shoulder you have a duty to be careful and execute that shoulder correctly, and so not connect with your opponent's head.

Injuring someone obviously doesn't necessarily mean you didn't show care.

Flynn was spot on for the most part and the finger wagging at him here probably only enforces his point really. A large number of news outlets and reporters tried their damnedest to paint the picture it was an elbow on Sunday evening in an effort to get Small vilified.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Flynn made a fool of himself with the all the media are out to get Dublin including Oisin on the Sunday Game, good man Oisin for correcting Flynn's guff.

Again, It’s set out within the rules that contact with the head (in any attempted tackle) is not allowed within the rules so I don’t get the tacked on “duty of care to an opponent” when as you put it you’re “thundering into them with a shoulder”.

you can’t thunder into someone with a shoulder while observing a duty of care. Its laughable.

if you actually want to go deeper into the rules, a shoulder charge isn’t really legal at all. The scope with which shoulder charges are legal as follows...

• If contact is made to opponent’s head
    • If opponent has no opportunity to protect himself
    • If contact/impact is excessive or causes injury
    • If the elbow/forearm/hurley is part of the contact
    • If the player making contact jumps or has two feet off the ground
    • If the player making contact had a realistic alternative by way of challenging opponent
    • The direction and distance covered by the player who makes contact

So effectively the scope is so limited that Oisin citing the rulebook is virtually meaningless. The rulebook is ridiculous.

if matches were refereed strictly by the rulebook there would be a free every couple of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Enjoying the tussles between Flynn & McConville.

Oisín got very cranky at some long overdue pushback on what passes for analysis on The Sunday Game. Kind of ironic that a guy should label a shoulder as "shocking" having played in the Ulster Championship throughout his career.

The team assembled by Sky are leaving RTE in their slipstream. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Hope John Casey enjoyed his popcorn! :-D

The duty of care on the pitch lies with each individual player to act in accordance with the rules. You have a duty of care not to shoulder someone in the head. If you make a mistake and break the rules, you're punished for that. It's not laughable, it's the basis for all the rules.

What you've written in bold there isn't in the rulebook.

• Advertisement

Tbf, it is in the referee handbook. Is that different to the rulebook?

The handbook isn't that arduous really. 84 pages but half of it is taken up by cover pages and pictures.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/ogd9kegh1slxnvvuwmll.pdf

True. But that's also related to influencing how a referee should sanction an illegal shoulder charge, not disallowing any and all shouldering as has been suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What a load of rubbish from Paul Flynn. There's no duty of care on the players? So it's okay to just mistime tackles and break jaws until they start better enforcing rules? And his point regarding the rule book was just silly, you'd expect players, especially senior intercounty players, to know the rules of the sport they are playing.

Put it this way, if something similar happened in the Cork Kerry or Tyrone Monaghan game nobody would give a ****, let along be still going on about it 4 days later. Flynn was pretty much spot on with that end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not a GAA man, but that argument between Paul O' Flynn and Oisín McConville was great entertainment.

O' Flynn sounded like an absolute prat when he asked "have you seen the rulebook? " and McConville said yes and then he tried to move the goalposts because the rulebook was so "thick". I had to laugh, talk about been made to look like an absolute spoofer! He talks a fair amount of hot air.

Though I think he has a kernal of a point, but maybe doesn't entirely have the wit to express it in a coherent way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

He really, really wasn't. I didn't see any media outlet aside from anonymous twitter users or possibly Joe or one of those sites post anything that suggested he elbowed him. Any commentary I saw from verified media accounts were similar to what Oisin said, which is that if you go in like that the onus is on you to ensure you get it right, wrong and you are off which is perfectly fair.

GAA needs to adapt the same rule as that in NFL with regards to a defenceless receiver. If a player cannot protect himself against the hit then it should be a straight red regardless of whether they connect with the shoulder. Its far too high risk an action to allow it, particularly with the size and strength of players now. No issue with two players running side by side for a ball and delivering a shoulder but lining up someone who is about to turn into a shoulder should be a straight red. There is no safe way to allow that sort of hit anymore, it carries way too much risk. There is no way any amateur player should have their jaw broken, there is no argument against it IMO. Its about time the GAA moved with the times as well in terms of discipline, there won't be any action taken against Small and even if there was we all know they'd appeal it and appeal it until he got away with it, that needs to stop both at inter county and at club level. Foul play has to have some punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What was that comment about someone breaking a leg!!? It was just breezed over!

Edit. Nevermind a few moments later, it was McMahon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lads, I'm no Dub but I think maybe a little harsh here on Paul Flynn. He reflects an attitude where putting big hits in exists. He was just honest about it. Sure even Oisin was lauding big Mayo hits moments before he got all excited.

If there's a culture and appreciation of big hits then lads are going to get hurt. Not all big hits are going to be perfectly timed regardless of how serious some lad takes his duty of care.

Overall, I think Flynn was very complimentary of Mayo and where they take you on the field. Interesting insight. Quite clearly a guy who has immeasurable respect for Mayo.

I don't think anyone was too upset about him when he talked about the game or big hits in general but the 'anti-dublin bias' stuff was absolute bullshit of the highest order and rightly called out by Oisin and commented on here. I don't have much complaints about his commentary about the game overall outside of what he said about that incident.

Anti dub bias exists. I’m from kildare. A lot of gaa fans have been utterly utterly obsessed with Dublin being beaten….by anyone ..not even their own county.

Oisin is “not online” so he might not be aware of it but have a read of Ewan Mackenna’s Twitter account and the replies to it and try telling me with a straight face that Dublin is just another county.

There’s no anti Dublin bias on the sunday game but generally among gaa supporters, please don’t tell me anyone believes there isn’t any anti Dublin bias. It’s been going for half a century FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Paul flying is a spoofer - players have no duty of care to each other- this is the guy that was head of the GPA.

• Advertisement

Flynn was directly accusing the analysts on the Sunday Game and others in the media of it. Flynn made it seem like the whole Irish media and pundits were out to get Small which is 100% bullshit and easily disproven, the only image I saw posted of Small that hinted he'd led with the elbow was not posted by anyone prominent and I didn't see a single verified account suggest it, Flynn clearly went out of his way on twitter to find it or much more likely, saw a few screenshots in a Dub WhatsApp group and parroted it out without thought. Plenty of GAA fans wanted Dublin to get beaten, I sincerely doubt anymore than a very small minority are 'utterly utterly obsessed'. You'll find the same is true of any dominant sports team, people like an underdog and neutrals are bound to shout for them. Thats not bias.

As for Ewan McKenna, Seriously? He has been irrelevant for years and I'm surprised anyone is still reading the nonsense he trots out on twitter. He's no longer writing for any decent media company that I am aware of, his opinions are about as relevant as Gemma O' Doherty at this stage.

No, listen again. He didn’t specifically go after the Sunday game analysts originally. He said the online commentary on Twitter/social media has been abusive towards Small and the pundits including the Sunday game and Oisin haven’t helped.

Oisin basically went a bit spare after that.

as for a very small minority being obsessed with Dublin, well I don’t agree. There is an absolute obsession on a large part of GAA watchers with Dublin being beaten. But hey, we are free to believe what we wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

BOMBAZO!

Or the dominance of Dublin trend in the GAA forum. Proudly going around in circles since 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Healthy to and fro on the last weekends game going on here but lets finish it on Ken's hillarious efforts to troll Mayo's victory. His take on the image of the game.....

"It just seems to me if you're stretching like that for a ball, you've actually made a mistake a fraction of a second earlier......you should've been closer to the ball....there's room to improve" 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You'd swear with how people have reacted that Small put McLoughlin in hospital

#justiceforsmall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The problem with this is that all TSG analysts said in regards to the incident was that it was a terrible challenge that should have been a red. No witch hunt. No demanding a lengthy suspension. No dragging up any previous with Small, no slander of his character.

Flynn seems to think this is "abuse" (as he directly referenced TSG analysts) and had a whinge about it. McConville was absolutely correct and entirely right to pull him on it. Made a wee boy of him.

You’d swear McLaughlin was the first player in the history of the sport to get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I have no idea what Paul Flynn expected to happen but McConville obviously wasn’t going to accept a statement like that without rebuttal.

If you’re going to throw a statement like that out, you need to back it up with specific examples. Flynn had nothing to say when called up on it, looked foolish.

Entertaining stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

All this GAA talk on the thread is as interesting as the Lions analysis on the show.

I'm not trying to. Like I said above, if it happens between any two other teams we wouldn't still be hearing about it on podcasts a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

It's only being discussed within the context of the game. It's not like the incident is getting dedicated podcast episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Officially I will always say my favourite thing about Second Captains is Ken talking about soccer.

But the truth is it's Ken talking about any other sport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken talking about the Lance Armstrong documentary last year was great.

Heard Creep by Radiohead in a shop yesterday, all I could think about was Jack Charlton talking about fish and chips and social commentary from young Eoin.

You get the fish and chips and then you eat the fish and chips. Nobody had any soup for starters, nobody had any pudding to finish.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

That Jack Charlton audio bed always sets me off. Without-fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No credibility after his disastrous dabble in management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Different sport but Gary Neville and Roy Keane are arguably 2 of the biggest pundits in football and their management records could be called disastrous too.

Quirke has a podcast on off the ball anyway so he probably can't go back to Second Captains

Advertisement