Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same but iPhone for me. Haha.

had once since iphone4 and can’t escape since.

Saw this earlier and thought of all the cat owners on here...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Haha. 😂😂

I see flip phones are trying to make a comeback, weird!! 🤔

I was in Tesco Tonight and they had Lynx gift sets out. It's a smaller Tesco and they wouldn't normally have these.(I think it might be Christmas stock).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

BT Christmas must be opening soon?

(It's the middle of August, where has the year gone 😬).

Last year it was delayed. Hopefully not this year. We might need to get one of us to get a job there to keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Busy weekend, dismantling and making beds, moving chest of drawers etc. Elves 1 & 3 are moving in together and Elf 2 is getting his own room. Hope to get down to my sisters place in Wicklow next weekend and then the one after is the last one before they go back to school so trip to the zoo and few other bits and pieces organised. So the weekend just gone was the last opportunity to get it done.

Really feels like the summer is over with the mixed, cooler weather and lots of school things things happening.

Hope all had a good weekend.

Was great to come in this morning and see 7 bold threads, lets hope its a sign of things picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Nice little place. I haven't been in many years, loads of Fijian lads there, the rugby club is good craic.

I went from Iphone to android and loved it. I have had a Huawei phone for years and its been unreal. It is dual sim which I need but now its locked out of many items on play store. I have been told the iphone 12 pro is dual sim also, if not it will go back.

I had an issue with apple which is Christmas related. One year I went to download Christmas albums which I had removed from my phone. When I downloaded it half the songs were missing. I emailed itunes (after days of been getting the run around) and they informed me the license for those songs had expired. I argued that I bought the songs not the license, they countered with pages of terms and conditions. I eventually got 99cent per song which was missing. If I hadn't of fought for it I would have gotten nothing. AHAHHHHH I dont want to deal with that company.

• Advertisement

I'm the same. My OH has gone la few different android makes and i just don't think any are as easy to use as the iphone. Have had a few small issues along the way however over all nothing too major. In saying that I don't do a massive amount on my phone so don't need anything too fancy.

Noticed a difference this morning when the alarm went off at 6am, visibly darker than it had been even late last week, I needed to put a lamp on just to see what I was doing, and as I'd said last week, definitely chillier in the morning when leaving at around 6.45am I've noticed i's using the heating on the car, it might only be the 16 or 17 degree setting but it had been set to coldest for a while now so it was a noticeable moment changing it up ffor the first time in a few months.

Definitely an autumnal feel to it these days 🍂😁

BTW added dark reader to chrome and the site comes up in dark mode (see screengrab below)... such a relief on my eyes, I'm v.sensitive to bright lights so having this is a godsend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I came on to post the same thing. Alarm went off at 6am and even during my 3minute walk to the gym I noticed the chill in the air and all I could think was there is definitely a smell of Christmas in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

If it's not wet I sit out with my morning coffee at 7/8. This morning it was only 12 degrees and I had my fleece dressing gown on. OH came out to join my in his shortie pjs - I suggested he get himself a blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Definitely cooler today. Lots happening in our house before school starts. I’m vaccinated so I’m back in school teaching after months working from home. Eldest is into first class, youngest starts ECCE and we have an au pair arriving for the first time. I’m equal parts dying for routine and nervous about the changes! This time of year is the main start of the ramp up for us and as the days close in it feels more and more like the season is coming.

Having said that I’m heading west to deny reality for another few days from tomorrow 🤣🤣

You're welcome Posy. I know many considered it a trivial element but the bright colour scheme was very hard on my eyes and made the site far less enjoyable... all good now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

4 more working days and I’m on my summer holidays 🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

DvB I have put dark reader on and though I am not mad about the aesthetic I can feel the difference in my eyes so it is staying. Like an early Christmas present from DvB

I see the 'like's button at the bottom has changed back to 'Thanks'... another small change.

Haha, i was staring at the screen going something is different however couldn't put my finger on it!!

After complaining bitterly about it, I didn't even notice it had changed back. 😂😂😂

Won't be long now!

• Advertisement

Funnily enough it reappears if you click into categories at the top of the page... but disappears if you actually click into any of the categories.... its all a bit weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vaguely considering moving house at the moment and viewing a few places in the past week or so.

One which has ridiculously low ceilings I initially rejected as being "too small for a tree" due to that (its ~1700 sqft, vastly bigger than any house I've lived in before, but all the ceilings are about 6'6").

Another with no chain on the sellers side I thought of along the lines of "we'd be in here by Christmas".

Think that's a sign for me that its tipped over the time of year by now - although I'll still find whenever Brown Thomas open their Christmas shop to be way too early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The evenings are getting a little darker and colder, my son was singing Do They know It's Christmas in the kitchen earlier, the volume of posts on here is starting to increase and everyone on here is starting to feel the "tingle".

I really really want to put up the tree! 😋

Must fight the urge 🎄

We have an offer on a house and I'm assuming we wouldn't be in by Christmas so thinking this might be our last one in this house- have to make it a good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we're not out of here, this will be our last either in this house, or as it is now - there'll be a drastic extension and renovation job done otherwise.

It can't be my turn to host again here, after doing the full family in 2019 and most of the family in 2020 (COVID related) so we just need it to be nice for a few evening drinks hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That’s how many Christmas house warming parties we have to attend 👍😉😄😄

We're into the 120's!

Very soon and they'll be less than 100 days until December 1st!

Was in my local Tesco yesterday and was actively looking for Christmas stuff. Didn't see anything, was all back to school stuff in their usual seasonal aisle :(

Wouldn't be long I'm sure.

Summer hols start today. 3 nights up north and I'll do my best to find Christmas somewhere. Back on Saturday and puppy on Sunday so this is a good week 😁

I was the same in Dunnes on Saturday, other than the small boxes of quality street (ridiculously priced too) which I think are available all year round anyway I saw nothing. Was convinced we'd starting seeing the odd bit this time last year so was kind of expecting to see something. Must check back & see when we started spotting stuff last year, though that may be a chore with the search & find my posts functions not what they were (or gone altogether)

Enjoy the break tscul32, fingers crossed the weather is kind to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Down west and my youngest decided last night was not the night for sleeping. I’m exhausted now 🙈. I did not appreciate my older boy half enough for being a good sleeper. This one is almost three and is still appalling

Sea swimming today in my new christmas red dry robe though!

Funnily enough, I did hear over the weekend from my brother in law who works in logistics that there is a huge shortfall in haulage at the moment which is leading to items being unavailable, apparently there's a huge backlog of goods sitting in warehouses that cant be delivered into the country due to the lack of available transport.

So I suppose there's a real chance we could see shortages of Christmas stock... 🤔

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t panic yet lads. Still plenty of time.

I think if we didn’t see any shortages last year we won’t be seeing shortages this year. I do know of one Supervalu that have received in its Christmas stock but have yet to display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Hi All,

New to this thread. What an uplifting thread it is after following many of the Covid threads 😕

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this in, if it's not please let me know.

I am looking to light up the outside of my house this year, past attempts have been rather pathetic and I used battery operated lights which ran out in two days!

I'm looking to order a few sets of lights for the outside which my husband has assured me he will have an outdoor socket for very soon!!

Can anyone recommend a website where I can buy these type of mains operated lights at a reasonable cost? I'm going to order this week in case it takes ages for them to arrive. Many thanks in advance. 😀

Hear they need 100K truck drivers in the UK so can defo see delays in stuff getting to the shops. Let's hope it doesn't impact Christmas stuff too much.

Just to echo what Loughc said above, there's plenty of time yet for stuff to appear, in fact my neighbour only mentioned that the Dunnes Christmas stock is scheduled to appear soon, she did tell me a more precise time at the time but have genuinely forgotten. But brexit this time seems to be having a greater impact to haulage than Covid ever did so other products are likely to be affected, the answer to that, stock up early!!😆

I'm not sure where the Brexit rumour is coming from, the majority of suppliers have either an Irish or EU depot setup to avoid the brexit headache. I work for a well known retailer and I can assure you there has been no delay in supply chain. Stock comes from France, Germany and Spain instead of UK. All the big players are set up that way.

Same as last year, there will be no shortage of any stock Christmas or not, there will be more than enough stock to go around.

Ooh looks busy in here today ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Welcome Champagne Sally!!😊

The M50 Christmas shop might have what you're looking for https://www.beechvista.com/m50-christmas-shopp

Less than 2 weeks to September, the silly season is beginning to ramp up.

That's good to hear Loughc!!

But, & not to disagree, I know there are certain UK brands that have definitely been affected by Brexit & have had supply issues into Ireland, to be fair the majority of retailers have sourced alternatives so we'd not run out but there's definitely been shortages. Maybe that's taken on a life of its own or suchlike, but as I said my BIL who works in haulage logistics said its getting progressively worse... to be fair they deal with the UK a lot so maybe his view is skewed by that.

Either way, as long as i get my stollen (should be appearing soon in Lidl) & mince pies.... happy days!!

• Advertisement

We should be fine for Christmas. Cadbury is an american brand now with a German base, Walkers/Pringles/Doritos same American with German depots, etc.

Lidl/Aldi both will heavily import from Germany as well. UK exclusive brands will struggle to export for sure but most of the big players are multinationals will just heavily rely on their Central Europe depots and deploy from there.

Don't forget as well most Christmas orders are made in April/May with an expectation to ship for Jul/Aug. So even if there was a delay it would only set us back a month or two.

Advertisement