Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Examiner have more details on the roadmap to the roadmap

Roadmap for loosening of Covid restrictions to be announced at end of the month (irishexaminer.com)

•  Covid-19 sub-committee meeting will be held this Thursday for what government sources call a "run-down" of the current situation.
    • Briefings from public health officials to government.
    • Thursdays meeting will form a basis for the recommendations which will be passed onto the Cabinet when it meets on the last day of the month.
    • Formal announcement on the roadmap on 31 August.
    • Leaks say this will not be about lifting restriction X on Y date. It will be about "the available options once a certain amount of the population are fully vaccinated and based on public health advice from the current Covid-19 situation at the time".
    • The Irish Times previously said that the roadmap will allow restrictions to be lifted once 85-90% of 16+ are fully vaccinated AND hospitals are not "struggling" AND R rate is below 1 AND no new variants increased transmission or vaccine evasion i.e. 4 criteria to meet.
    • Remaining restrictions include WFH, nightclubs, certain live events, masks, social distancing etc

Reading between the lines:

• NPFET who are "concerned" about the increase in hospitalisations are surely going to tell the government "not now" for office reopening's etc until the situation greatly improves.
    • No dates will be given in the roadmap just potential plans when the triggers are met.

I would be surprised if the criteria are met anytime soon which could easily mean that remaning restrictions stay in place until Spring 2022.

Post edited by JTMan on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

What's your favourite horror film guys?

Mine is 'Night of the Living Unvaccinated'

Starring Gary Oldman as Tony Holohan and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Ronan Glynn.

"If you think we're going out there without a mask you've got another thing coming!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So no roadmap so,just a load of whataboutery and waffle from MM. Some joke,And there were posters scoffed at here when they said all restrictions would be lifted in September.Wait until you see all emergency legislation will be extended regarding the vaccine passports as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There is not a hope having gone all summer maintaining the majority of restrictions that we are going to see anything change heading into winter

The vaccine goal posts are heading further and further up the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The R0 of the virus will never go below 1 unless we keep restrictions in place - vaccinations are not enough to prevent the spread such that the virus "died out" in a population, so R0 will never go below 1 without non-pharmaceutical interventions (lockdowns, other restrictions)

So the plan is to keep covid restrictions forever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Exactly and wait until they start introducing even more restrictions as the winter goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

And what we will have on here is "lol that wont happen", "of course we will lift restriction" "conspiracy theory forum over there" "ha, whats the lotto numbers" and all the usual stuff that comes up from the same posters.

Of course then when all of this does come to pass, the response will be "well is it really that big a deal anyway"

Case in point being the vaccine passports, same reaction "lol conspiracy theory forum over there" "that wont happen, anyone who keeps going on about is a doom monger" etc etc followed by "cmon is it really that big a deal?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• "No dates will be given in the roadmap just potential plans when the triggers are met."

"And no, we won't tell you what those triggers are"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Yeah it’s very low but that doesn’t matter too much with a zero covid strategy

Fully vaccinated people are getting infected and spreading it

It could be 100% and that will still happen

I honestly don’t know what NZ goal is now

Our goal is stop the hospitals being overwhelmed which with restrictions and 90% vaccinated should be possible

Jude Law as a composite character representing the restrictions thread

Zero Covid is dead.

Australia in the past 8 weeks has had a 32x increase in cases, Ireland 5.5x. That's vaccinations.

you're posts are about as relevant as BRUCE FORSYTHIA!

the Omega man has spoken folks.. get your Mask ready for the big shop eh!🤣

Isn’t great that we can borrow all this free money from the back arse of nowhere to keep this farce going now.anyone who thought all restrictions we’re going to be lifted in Ireland are gone beyond trying to reason with.the chickens are coming home to roost off the incompetence of the hse and successive ff and fg governments with the health services on the brink of collapse.that’s the reason why this crap is going to stay going.

fighting Irish my arse.we deserve everything that’s coming to us.well done to the sainted Tony,rte and the other bed wetters for the fear mongering in destroying the country,it’s people and the future generations to come who will be saddled with the bill for this.let klaus swab and bill gates just take over the place and be done with it!

"ooh guys, lets all make up witty labels and pointless insults for everyone who disagrees"

but you admit I'm witty then??" how's the packed lunch tasting today sitting on your high horse overlooking d'oul M7!

ohhh guys lets redirect everyone to the phantom zone, who has a contrasting view with Raind.

c'mon now, in reality I dig your posts, sometimes you sound so wooden that you'd give a message therapist splinters but your posts are good.

who wants a thread full of non thinking yes men. 🤔

that's not an insult either raind, that's banter, insults are trolling and ban worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's some high thresholds for any further easing of restrictions

• The Irish Times previously said that the roadmap will allow restrictions to be lifted once 85-90% of 16+ are fully vaccinated AND hospitals are not "struggling" AND R rate is below 1 AND no new variants increased transmission or vaccine evasion i.e. 4 criteria to meet.

very hard to see all those things happening coming into the winter

This roadmap is essentially useless if that's the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

People saying the world economic form and their 'great reset' ideas shaped our lockdowns used to be considered conspiracy theorist. Look at this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Since before COVID when have the hospitals not been struggling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Maybe I'm just not au fait with the latest 'banter'...but...what's Omega Man?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Nothing wrong with Pfizer really. All they had to do was extend the dose to 12 weeks and everything would of been grand. You remember when everyone on here were calling Boris and his crazy scientists reckless for being the only ones to extend the time between doses ?

Good job they did when you think about it, considering all the most at risk of dying got Pfizer first. That was 7 months ago when they were handed out.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, we will hit the first one easily in the next 2-3 weeks and probably the required R0 rate soon enough. Hospitals will be unclear for at least another month or so by which time these boosters will be starting.

omega man is an 80's sci film, kind of like I am legend.

The inference being that the pandemic doesn't seem to affect him in any real way. He's out there on the egde, servicing man kind, no mask, bag of self made sandwiches in hand, mustang car and a black lab on the seat.

The rest of us in masks, working from home are exaggerating.. but not this man..he's not affected by any restrictions but for the big shop on Saturday, when he does wear a mask and mingles with the dreggs and doom mongers..

It's a joke, to lighten the mood though. But It seems insulting to him..

I cant put it in French for you though monsieur Au Fait.

The Omega Man (stylized as The Ωmega Man) is a 1971 American post-apocalyptic action film[3] directed by Boris Sagal and starring Charlton Heston as a survivor of a global pandemic. It was written by John William Corrington and Joyce Corrington, based on the 1954 novel I Am Legend by American writer Richard Matheson.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I don’t think I could trust someone who wears a mask alone in their car or house.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Vaccinations for sure, we're almost at 85% first doses for over 12s already. R I have my doubts, as the vaccine seems to reduce spread but not zero it (but I don't think we had any data released on how many of the new cases are vaccinated, just who ends up in hospital). Hospitals overload - it really depends if we're only talking about covid patients here, or just hospitals in general.

It essentially is that anyone who doesn't buy into the broad view here that NPHET et al want us to remain restricted forever and expresses a positive opinion that an ending is approaching is the thread embodiment of the Charlton Heston character from the film of the same name as last man on earth.

It also seems to be coupled with the belief that anyone expressing those opinions is living in fear and avoiding contact with the real world, hence the "weekly big shop" jibe.

It strikes me that the doom merchants living in fear of the big bad government are those not getting on with living life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

"Going to be hard for the people in charge to spin that one as a vaccine good story"

Did any of them get sick or die? If not, that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

If it is the NPHET that calculates the R rate, and given how they took all the most negative assumptions to calculate their irrealistic forecasts for september, I am worried we will be stuck with a "R is between 0.9 and 1.2" forever that prevents any easing of restrictions.

Edit: This R rate is completely stupid as a requirement. Let's imagine there is a big decrease that brings us from 2k cases to a much much lower number, but during the decrease the hospitals are still struggling so we can't ease anything. Let's say 200 cases at the low bottom. Then every week it increases a bot, we'll have 210, 220, 250 cases per day. After a while the hospital numbers drop because of the low circulation of the virus, but the R rate is above 1 so you can't reopen anything ?

It is like if the gardai would not check your speed on the road, but if your speed is going up. It it starts from a low level it can only go up.

• Advertisement

Frightening, but people have decided that it's a conspiracy theory.

Advertisement