Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mossie

Absolutely there were Sunday deliveries at Christmas in the 1990's and only ceased in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

There is no postal service in Ireland on the Sunday before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Never before have I seen such dodgy witness's - did you actually watch the netflix doc. If you look into their backgrounds they virtually all have something to hide and all have had personal grievances with Bailey. Very few could be called reliable witness's - alot of what they say cannot be verified at all. Locals in the area will also claim that several of these people are absolute nutters and are trying to cash in on this fame.

As I said there were Sunday deliveries in the 1990's I worked for An Post from mid 80's and I know this. As far as I know this practice only ceased in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement

Agree completely with what you say here. The truth is we'll never know what she was doing that night - she probably never left her house. How MF hasnt faced legal punishment for her part in all of this is astonishing. She definately has a special hold over the Garda Siochana thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

You make it sound like a libel trial is trivial, IB was in line for a major payout if he won his case. The legal teams for the papers did their homework, employed an investigator and shredded IB in the witness box. As he said himself in the West Cork podcast he was 'shanghaied', they grilled him about his different accounts of his movements, his attacks on Jules, his diaries etc.

There's absolutely no reason his team couldn't have torn the defence witnesses apart in return, they get the exact same opportunity to cross examine them and ask the same questions. The idea that witnesses would get an easier ride because it was a libel trial is a fallacy, IB's 'performance' proves this.

Im sorry but a murder trial and libel trial are completely different. There was no chance of IB being sent down for murder in the libel trial. The cross examination of witness's in a murder trial would have been prepared, researched and questionned completely differently.

I don't think that's the case at all. IB brought the proceedings himself and therefore had as much time as needed to prepare with his legal team and they would have been aware of the witnesses to be called in advance. If he had been charged with murder and brought before the court in a timely manner, there's no reason to think they would have prepared better questions when time was against them. Many of the witnesses had to be compelled to give evidence and were there reluctantly, they should have been easy pickings, if Boardsies are to be believed they wouldn't last five minutes in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

• Advertisement

That's unlikely, she paid all the fines that were due, GSOC found the claims she made that her son got off convictions were untrue as they were recorded and processed in the normal way. It was Judge Hedigan who said he was referring her testimony on behalf of IB with her new version to the DPP directly, there was no need to involve the gardai as her testimony was exposed at trial and in the public record. If she hasn't been charged with anything when she should have been, that's a failing of the DPP rather than the gardai:

The final indignity — and perhaps more than that — for Farrell came when Mr Justice Hedigan announced he was referring a transcript of her evidence to the DPP and it would be for the DPP to decide if there are to be any further consequences for her over her testimony to the High Court. Ian Bailey case: Marie Farrell evidence derailed action (irishtimes.com)

We got post deliveries on Sundays in the run up to Christmas, I'm actually surprised to hear it's ended.

If you want to think this that's fine but you're spouting bullsh*t. As I said I know this from personal experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Definitely there used to be post deliveries on the last Sunday before Christmas in the 80's and 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

He doesn't work well to deadlines. Sure he said as much himself as he had to get up in the middle of the night after a session to finish a story that was due...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

the fact that Farrell hasn't had to reveal who she was with is beyond ludicrous .... a woman was murdered yet she is trying to "save face"

of course the problem is that you can't believe anything she says -- she happens to spot both Sophie and a suspicious character in town that day and but a few hours later stumbles upon a suspect during the murder timeline ---

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sad if garda bot is the best you can do when wrong? I recall many times getting mail on sunday. Did you check with an post. ask them was there ever post on sunday. nonsense bot

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Christmas falls on a different day of the week every year. I imagine that the Sunday delivery would be in place when Christmas falls on a Monday or Tuesday and may depend on volume of mail awaiting delivery and number of postal workers prepared to work the extra shifts so could vary from area to area.

As far as the Saturday sighting in the village goes, there are two other witnesses who saw IB and Sophie in town that day. Ceri Williams says she practically walked into Sophie as she came out of Brosnan's Spar and IB was across the road at the same time. Schull is practically just one street and Spar is on the road through it. It seems unlikely that there are two men in long black coats below the knee and black hats hanging around at the same time as Sophie was there, yet MF was the only person in the entire place who saw the other guy. It does seem much more likely that it was IB she saw, just like the other witnesses. IB said he was in town at the time.

Bill Fuller's account of what he claims IB said is strikingly accurate 'you saw her in Spar and she turned you on'.

• Advertisement

Pretty much this but usually was on the last Sunday before Christmas even if xmas day was towards the end of the week.

That is 2020, did you not know the murder was in 1996??. I live in Ireland too and many times got mail on Sunday.

I will not be responding to you again as insults re bots is the best you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I may have read that a man was seen throwing something in to the water that day. Could it have been the missing axe?

surely they would have searched if that is true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The only reason why bailey and his legal team lost their civil case action against the state was because of the statute of limitations(6 years) which the defense team jumped to when they were about to lose the case. Because of this, they were able to disregard the DPP report & Martin Grahams statements (which the bandon tapes backed up) about how the gards bribed him to give false statements with money, clothes & drugs no doubt taken from the evidence room. If they werent able to do this, no doubt Bailey would have won & rightly so. For all some posters attempts at clinging to GSOC reports(blatantly irrevelant because they rely on the co operation of known corrupt gards) & garda statements(again, well known to be false and corrupt), they were only able to save themselves on a technicality at the end from having to pay huge compensation to Bailey for their blatant corruption.

He lost his case against the 8 newspapers before this primarily because they had only claimed he was arrested and suspected of committing the murder by the gards, not that he actually was the murderer.

This case raises bigger questions about corruption amongst our so called police force, who if they think you are a fish out of water and fit the profile of someone who might possibly commit a crime, they will go to any lengths to convict. Even if it means breaking the law themselves. That's a grave situation and a threat to the very fundamentals of what this state has been founded on & democracy itself. They are willing to perjure, intimidate, bribe, coerce amongst many other things to convict an innocent man while the real perpetrator walks free. Thats something that every citizen should be concerned about for themselves and their family.

GSOC itself needs to be fully reformed or disbanded (I would actually prefer the latter since they are so useless), if garda corruption is found to have existed, prosecutions of these gards need to take place.

The reason the state did not raise the objection of the complaints being statue barred until the very end of the trial was not because the state was going to 'lose' the case. That's ridiculous, Marie Farrell was the star witness for IB and she imploded during cross-examination, completely discredited herself and the judge said he was referring her testimony to the DPP. The case was well lost by that point. The Bandon Tapes did not provide any evidence to back up Martin Graham's claims.

The real reason they delayed raising the objection of several claims being statute barred was to demonstrate that Bailey's case would have failed on its own merits and to allow the witnesses to put forward their version of events under cross-examination. If the state had halted the case before a word of it was heard it would forever be thought of as the state sneaking away from its responsibilities. They knew they could win against the flimsy evidence and witnesses put forward against them. They wanted to prove this in court and put the real story in the public record. This allowed Judge Hedigan to remark, after hearing all the evidence, that Bailey's claims of unlawful arrest etc. would indeed have failed on their own merits.

The High Court jury decided they did not believe MF's claims of garda corruption and misbehaviour. This issue was not statute barred and went to the core of IB's case, that gardai had conspired to frame him. The jury decided this was not true.

Your entire post is the opposite of the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, in fact I believe that the appointment of an outsider, Drew Harris, to the commissioner position was de facto recognition that corruption within the Gardai had become too obvious to ignore. The Kerry babies, The Donegal cases, Maurice McCabe and this particular mess all contributed to the realisation that something had to be done.

The truth is, however, is that corruption is a problem for all police forces and it is difficult to do anything about it, unless it becomes outrageous and a matter of grave public concern. Then the Government is forced to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The problem in Ireland I feel is that because GSOC are so incompetent and limited in their powers, we dont even know the half of what is going on. Yes, the appointment of a commissioner from outside Ireland was a good start but a lot lot more needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, and I think that attempts at reform are underway.

To be fair to the Gardai, they do a difficult job, dangerous at times and they often take dog's abuse from certain sections of the public.

They also have to rely on each other for support and strong bonds of loyalty are part and parcel of the job. This does engender a reluctance to break ranks and a tendency to "circle the wagons" when they are criticised.

I must say, much of the criticism that they get is unfair and they are entitled to expect a high level of public support and even, to some extent, the benefit of the doubt.

But in the case of blatant corruption or perversion of the course of justice - the line has been crossed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement