Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

From 9am today - one of RTE's resident US Democrat party sycophants talks to the author of a book about 'Donald J Trump's chaotic administration'

The timing is, as always, imperative.🤨

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Has Ryan Tubridy made any comment on the situation in Afghanistan or is he too busy 'being kind', the fork tongued bootlicking sleeveen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he must think people are fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Did none of these young fellas of 20 years of age or thereabouts whip out their phone and video this altercation with the celebrity and post it to social media ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Bit of an eye opening experience for Ryan. I think he's genuinely shook. Nobody deserves to get abuse on the streets or feel threatended like that. Unfortunately it's an experience most people who live in Dublin have to go through. Luckily a former probation office has told us that the scumbags sometimes grow out of it by their late 20s so it should be OK Ryan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

RT relaying some recent experiences he's had in Dublin where quote 'young men in their 20s have shouted 'f aggot' and 'paedo' at him.

He confronted two and asked them why they were saying that, reply was something about 'they disagreed with his beliefs'

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

One of them did a few weeks ago but it was a kid

So far since the 2nd holiday (8th Aug) we've had:

Bookshop / Author: 4

Death & illness/domestic abuse: 2

A.N Other: 4

Toy Show mentions: 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Tubs could described as a bundle of sticks.

Anyway I'd love to sit down and discuss my views on Public Service Broadcasting with Tubs, unlike to happen but then I wouldn't go around calling people names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The man needs a dose of reality, but that doesn't entail abuse on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I heard that. It sounded like two incidents in the one day. So, I think some public figures are more subject to it than the average person. Ireland is such a goldfish bowl, with max one or two interesting people or things going on at a time, that everyone has an opinion on and feels they have the right to express to your face.

Apart from all the usual gripes people have against him, I wonder if that group in particular is aggrieved about restrictions/lockdowns and maybe he being perceived as a "cheerleader" for the establishment in that regard.

Is it a group? or just in general.

I didn't like Tubs before Lockdown and I still don't particularly like him.

I am not going to call him names, but as mentioned in a city you can get abuse when walking down the street, regardless of who you are, and I have seen it in other cities.

Imagine a twenty something who grew up with tubs as the "toy man" is aggravated by him.

I don't agree with what happened to Pat Kenny on TLLS or on The Frontline but I agree with both sentiments, but it should be directed at RTÉ, not the individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It's shítty to abuse the lad in front of his daughter. We've all encountered thick scumbags around town.

But it's a pity he doesn't want to engage in "civil debate" when he is interviewed by people who can formulate a coherent argument against him.

Any time he is asked any difficult questions he sticks the head in the sand - his salary is nothing to do with him, wont address his controversial tax set up, and never mentions all the times he took it upon himself to promise people that COVID would be gone soon and they would have a normal Christmas, summer holiday, etc, etc.

He's not really interested in having debates about why people dislike him, unless his opponent is an inarticulate moron perhaps.

I wonder how common his experiences are among other presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Quiet an opening piece from Tubridy today about Afghanistan. He berated the US and Trump of course, even had an audio clip of Trump from 2 weeks ago saying the withdrawal was impossible for Biden to avoid. Barely a mention of Biden.

I think he said at one stage that the withdrawal represents an end to a 20 year crime which was American involvement in Afghanistan. Ask the women in Afghanistan how they feel today about the withdrawal and the 20 years the Yanks were there!

He's some clown-Sleepy Joe said only last week that there was no prospect of a Taliban invasion.

The CancerMan won't mention THAT though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tubridy should expect all sorts of criticism - harsh criticism even - when he continues to accept that absolutely crazy money that RTÉ have somehow deigned to pay him

he is not worth a quarter of the money they are paying him.

I never listen to the show, but it seems from the thread that I may have refered to Tubridy as a "bootlicking sleeveen" at the very same time that he was complaining on the radio about being on the receiving end of abuse. I feel a bit bad now.

It's just he's such a lackey for the Democrats and by extension a lackey for the war machine.

Nevertheless, it has since come to my attention that he also likes to lick other items of imperialist's clothing, so I wish to withdraw my remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am no fan of Ryan, his salary, his workload, his extensive holidays etc, but I don't think he deserves to get harassed on the streets when he is out for a walk with his kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I'm glad all the people on here who abuse Tubridy regularly in writing and on the permanent record of the Internet agree that he should not be verbally abused on the street in front of his daughter 🙄

There is a huge difference called a person a shithead in person 😂 But seriously most of the criticisms are of his work on both TV and Radio. I've met him once, seems alright but can't take a joke. (And it wasn't at him).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

unfortunately for him, he is leaving himself wide open to harsh criticism due to his absolutely terrible, shoddy, lazy as hell presenting work on a daily basis

There's a difference between mindless abuse from some gym bunny on Dun Laoghaire pier, and the considered and informed criticism he gets on here.

I have yet to see someone on boards call him a f4gg0t or a paedo-why would they? (Why would anyone?)

I'd be quite happy to see him engaged with in meaningful discourse on some of the points we regularly raise here-he's in the public eye and on the public purse, but how someone can equate one with the other is beyond me.

Public figures and rte associated figures for sure are more subject to it than the regular punter.

They have to contend with the anti-lockdown crowd sub-group that think rte figures eat babies or something like that. They also attract more comments both positive and negative through the nature of just being familiar to people and may draw the focus and ire of some people with less than stable mental health situations. They then also have to contend with the same appalling levels of scumbaggery that everybody else does.

Its poor form and I didn't hear the part referenced above that his daughter was with him when he was approached and if that's the case then that's just such a really low thing to do and not acceptable and I hope they both weren't too shaken by the incident. Nobody deserves to be made feel unsafe or intimated in any way ever. Its unacceptable.

I find that the approach taken in rte towards any online reflection / analysis / criticism of their many and deep rooted poor practices and unethical ways of operating is to often lump the negative criticism / analysis in with the typical type of unacceptable troll poison that you find online and then write it all off as the thoughts of vile unhinged maniacs on the Internet.

Its even been attempted in this thread too.

The no go area that is Dublin city at certain times is also totally either ignored or else the broadcasters discussing the issues of the day must live in a bubble and don't realise what it's really like in the real world (Duffy drives down sherrif Street and sees people smiling in their front gardens and waving and I'm going to assume Tubridy thinks the working class in Dublin are like the chimney sweeps in Mary Poppins (joke)). There is a resistance to even entertain the idea that there are just scumbags in town and even the ones who harass Ryan are said to take issue with him on an intellectual level with his beliefs and what he represents rather than the actually more than likely scenario where the guy was just an absolute scumbag.

I get the impression that following recent events in England that:

1) Any and all online comments that aren't Barry Egan in the Sindo levels of positive; and

2) The violent actions of 4th generation unemployed feral scumbags

are going to be classed as the output of one group - Disenfranchised angry isolated and insular young men with mental health and social issues who are online too much etc etc. There will be talk about how to prevent the tragic events that transpired in England occurring here (which of course is perfectly valid and needed) but there will be no reflection on any of the negative but legitimate points being made regarding rte and there will be no acknowledgement that there are just more dangerous scumbags out there than ever.

Pretending to talk about a problem is worse than not talking about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you are on 13 times the starting salary of a Garda and you express surprise at getting abuse in public in Dublin while working for the state broadcaster you are an idiot. Man up and purchase either private security to travel with you in public (which is what I would do as I know Dublin is a fooking out of control lawless kip inside the canals and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot) or else take the abuse and report it to the law as a crime like Joe Soap has to.

I did see Nigel Farage walking around Dublin with private security pre Brexit, the price of fame.

Post edited by Atlantic Dawn on

Part of the problem is that he is an attention seeker, like so many in that line of work. That's fine, but attention seekers should be aware that there are no guarantees that the attention you receive will be positive. This is basic stuff. Take the good with the bad. Any criminal matters should be treated as such at the time; talking about it on the radio is just more attention seeking and frankly, out of touch whining.

It seems that we are building up to some sort of crackdown on speech (which includes ugly speech, of course). What makes me suspicious of these efforts is that it seems to be mostly an attempt to create a safe space for politicians and celebrities. Poor Ryan. Poor millionaire footballers. Poor politicians (not including genuinely disturbing stalking type stuff like that which came out yesterday, which seems to me to be a criminal matter). Some of the most privileged people in society want more molly coddling and less criticism.

There are real problems in society from housing to health and poverty but they want us to put all aside and cry for them instead. Perspective appears to be lacking on their part.

And I'll say it again: Democratic Party fan boys like Ryan are Ireland's New West Brits, sleeveens cozying up to imperial power. You don't get to mouth off about 'being kind' and criticizing the US in Afghanistan, when your default position is cozying up to key components of the global war machine, (which, BTW, spits out its veterans like worthless trash). So Ryan, yes there are stupid, nasty creeps around, but my God, you are some creep yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sad to see the equivocating on this issue in the Radio Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What a load of nonsense. You think this is some sort of call to arms for a lock down on speech?

And that Ryan is some sort of propaganda wing for American liberals.

Yeah you are right that is exactly it.

It couldn't be something simple like a **** thing happening a mediocre broadcaster who has a shallow interest in politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

What was the joke about? He does come across in that way alright, seems very sensitive if guests ever poke fun at him

I wasn't speaking about the specifics of whatever incident he talking about yesterday. I don't know them. I don't listen to his drivel. I prefer other drivel :D

I was laying out why I dislike the man (because of his New West Brit political tendencies).

He has a bully pulpit, a massive platform... and yet he plays the victim. Those of us that know bullies well know that they are the world's number one experts at playing the victim, so I would advise him to stop whining and focus on serving the public at the public broadcaster we all pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah there are a few people who keep it above board and will only criticise the show or content but plenty on here take personal swipes regularly and revel in it. Just because those people are keyboard warriors who wouldn't have the guts to say anything to his face doesn't make them any better than the scumbags abusing him in the street. It just rings hollow here. Especially all the faux shock at the daughter being present. Like do ye think she doesn't have access to boards.ie?

• Advertisement

This is the radio forum. If you don't want to post about radio. Lots of other places to go and post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you don't know the specifics of the incident he was talking about, how can you say he's "playing the victim".

Is someone who actually is a victim, and speaks about the experience, playing the victim?

Do you think victims should not speak out?

🤣 G'wan outta that. I'll post where I like, including on a thread about Ryan Tubridy. If the mods have a problem, no doubt they would let me know.

From reading the thread.

And yes, you've cracked it, I am calling for a crackdown on victims speaking out. 🙄

Nobody wants to read this bickering. If someone can unpick the impression I have that he is a toady for Dem politicians (and by extension for the MIC, whether he knows it or not) that would be substantive and I might change my mind about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

"Nobody wants to read this bickering"

Why are you in the thread?

To shame Ryan Tubridy for his politics, primarily. You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I wonder how the abuse on the street is any different from the abuse he gets on here?? Of course there isn't, but the hypocrisy is breath taking!

In my opinion there is a difference between reflections and discussion on a lazy / often hypocritical programme and a family getting roared at on the street.

Well here we try and discuss the merits of his show. Its strengths and weaknesses. And when people post unwarranted or unjustified claims about him or his family we challenge them.

We are not just screaming obscenities in his face because he is in front of us.

• Advertisement

Because most of the people on here are classic keyboard warriors and would not have the gumption to squeak loudly in public let alone call a man 'lazy', 'shoddy', 'bootlicking sleeveen' or an American 'imperialist' (the comments on this page alone!) to his face.

Dress it up whatever way you want, but the 'considered opinions' on this forum are no better or worse than the scumbags that accosted him on the street.

I can't speak for anyone else. But personally I have no problem calling the man up on his short comings as radio host and querying his unusual tax situation. But would I do it in the middle of Dun Laoighre pier.

If you can arrange face time with him for my criticism to him. I'll happily meet him.

Alternatively we could submit a list of questions.

You'd have to have been there, wasn't really funny but it was his snide remark to the other presenter, anyway I wasn't not noticed at all :)

“If I was back in charge of RTE, you wouldn’t see this utter shite on Friday night,” wrote O’Rahilly.

“The opinion seems to be, ‘Let’s get whoever is in town, who’s flogging books, who’s flogging movies’. I haven’t seen the Late Late set the agenda in a long time – other than when Ryan is giving out about people slagging him on Twitter.”

Yeah gobdaws!

I most certainly would call him a bootlicking New West Brit sleeveen to his face in the course of a conversation. However, I would probably spread the epithets out a bit more so as not to overwhelm the poor fella. :D

And I wouldn't shout it at him, because I'm not a shouter. I feel empowered to call people like him out on his effette cooing at the feet of powerful U.S. politicians of the Dem persuasion this week of all weeks beause the rapid fall of Afghanistan brought up a lot of feelings I have about the exploitative treatment of vets in the U.S. and memories of fellas with PTSD and changed personalities.

I am not in any way anti-American. There's nothing more 'American' (whatever that means) than calling out the sick puppies in D.C. for their nation-building adventures and the way they treat military vets.. all the while the weapons makers raking it in. They piss me off and Turbidy should be ashamed of himself for tipping the cap to the very sort of militaristic pr*cks Ireland worked hard to liberate itself from.

I guess I am anti-Tubridy and will remain so until someone can persuade me that he has a conscience. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s not nice to have this happen to anyone but I can’t help feeling that it’s a bit of Karma for the abuse he gave to Peter Casey on the LLS for having a different view to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

"I’d no intention of speaking about it until I heard the signature tune of the show, and I thought: ‘You know what? I think it’s time to tell people what happened,’” he said.

On Tuesday, Mr Tubridy spoke on his radio show about how he was verbally attacked with homophobic and abusive slurs, while out walking with his family on Monday.

“I hadn’t written anything, hadn’t prepared anything. So I spoke off the cuff. That’s why it was so passionate, because it came from a very sincere part of my heart. I’d never experienced anything quite like it before.”

Gives you an idea on the amount of preparation he does for the show. Just turns up and says the first thing that comes into his head.

I have just seen a video made by a child calling Tubs a F**

It scares me that he reacted how I would, and that I would later regret a good comeback.

So was it a child or a 20 something year old?

Much as we may love and admire Ryan's insights into the human condition, it remains the case that The Toy Show set is drenched in the blood of innocents as long as he remains at the helm and the likes of Samantha Power are given a platform. :)

Where's the ignore poster function gone when you need it...

happy to help. It's beside the 'Protect Tubridy From A Showdown With His Conscience' button you just pressed. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement