Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

"I don't wear seatbelts and don't intend too either. I have been safe all this time while out driving on the roads even at night. I ain't even had a fender bender in all this time. Know no one who has died in a car crash or had a serious injury. I have known people who were in car crashes but nothing wrong with them."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I've been safe too, took loads of precautions at work and avoided mingling with people as much as possible. Didn't even have my annual head-cold in February. I also know nobody who has died or became very ill with it.

I'm fully vaccinated now though. As remote as the chances of becoming seriously ill with it might have been, I still didn't fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's clear that you don't have the slightest notion what it means, or you've been caught pushing one of the latest anti-vax talking points and have nothing to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@floorpie wrote

why are a higher proportion of symptomatic fully vaccinated under 50s dying?

We would see this effect if the vaccines were most effective in preventing symptomatic infection in people with highly functioning immune systems, because those people would be filtered out of the sample from which you derive your skewed death rate.

Which is why, as a bunch of people have told you repeatedly, you have to use the vaccinated population as your denominator, not the symptomatic vaccinated population, in order to determine whether vaccines prevent death.

Even then there are other possible biases in the populations, like age, comorbidities, exposure, timing of vaccination etc. We would expect the take up of vaccines in young people to be biased towards the those greater at risk, e.g. people with underlying conditions, healthcare workers, older people. To take a trivial example, the under 50 vaccinated population is almost certainly older than the under 50 unvaccinated population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Given the denigration, insults, condescension, fanaticism, scorn and self-parodying intellectual vanity displayed on this thread, a 'Something is not quite right about this' feeling is only natural.

Why Novavax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

We would see this effect if the vaccines were most effective in preventing symptomatic infection in people with highly functioning immune systems, because those people would be filtered out of the sample from which you derive your skewed death rate.

Right, that's one possibility, albeit it's a guess that vaccines reduce hospitalisation rates of healthy people with highly functioning immune systems, such that we'd see it reflected in deaths, or conversely that healthy unvaccinated people are dying at significantly high rates. Maybe they are, but rates of comorbidities in all hospitalisations (incl pre vaccination) are extremely high.

Even then there are other possible biases in the populations, like age, comorbidities, exposure, timing of vaccination etc. We would expect the take up of vaccines in young people to be biased towards the those greater at risk, e.g. people with underlying conditions, healthcare workers, older people.

90% of adults are vaccinated by at least one dose both here and in the UK. There is of course bias but it's miniscule. There definitely is a question raised by the UK data re: time since vaccination

Which is why, as a bunch of people have told you repeatedly, you have to use the vaccinated population as your denominator, not the symptomatic vaccinated population, in order to determine whether vaccines prevent death.

And as I have said repeatedly, vaccines are proven to reduce symptoms, and it's likely that absolute deaths are lowered due to this. The questions are still raised, that Aristotle waved away by repeating "per capita". It's interesting to see boards.ie users deeming CFR to be unimportant in epidemiology and vaccine development, and that the only important metric is mortality per capita. Lol.

CFR is not generally unimportant, it's specifically unimportant in the comparison you've drawn when considering whether to take a vaccine, which is the subject of this thread.

You do not know how important or unimportant it is, in this case. It is possible that CFR increases for vaccinated people without comorbidities relative to unvaccinated people without comorbidities, isn't it? You/I do not know. You make a good guess that the data is skewed due to healthy vaccinated people, but it's a guess.

Regardless, I'd never make/suggest a decision to get/not get a vaccine based on such data for someone at risk. If you're in a risk category then clearly vaccination will likely reduce your risk.

@floorpie wrote

I'd never make/suggest a decision to get a vaccine based on such data.

So why are you bringing up that data in a thread about whether to get a vaccine?

• Advertisement

When did I say that the only important metric is mortality per capita?

What I said was, when looking at the benefit/risk balance of a vaccine, looking at the mortality per cases alone has no significance.

Firstly, I only brought it up because somebody made light of the death of an unvaccinated person. It continued on as a topic because people can't read.

But it's furthermore of interest because it is unknown why CFR is higher for under 50s (an age group generally not at risk) with Delta. It is also unknown the extent to which vaccines reduce rates of infection with Delta. As such I believe the public health policy of focusing on full population vaccination in order to remove restrictions will be revised, to focus on vaccination/boosting of at-risk people only. But I wouldn't decide for/against vaccination based on such data.

Because informed consent doesn’t just mean you get given all the good numbers?

This is a change, so you're now saying that the vaccines prevent infection, but we don't have the full set of data for delta to make conclusions (but preliminary data, including from that UK government document, look good for vaccines in that regard). Of course this will be the case for all new variants that appear, but the important thing being that immune escape has not been observed for any of the variants thus far.

This is a change, so you're now saying that the vaccines prevent infection

Didn't say that, the extent of this is unknown, and is not promising in trials that properly assess asymptomatic infection

immune escape has not been observed for any of the variants thus far

Yes it has (See AstraZeneca trials: Efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Covid-19 Vaccine against the B.1.351 Variant | NEJM)

full set of data for delta to make conclusions

Essentially no people died during phase 3 trials so far, so yeah we have to rely on less controlled data

"It is also unknown the extent to which vaccines reduce rates of infection with Delta".

Clarify this sentence as it seems to imply that the vaccine reduce rates of infection for non-Delta variants which you denied previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The type of vaccine is different from most others that are being used now, it's a adjuvanted type which is not new technology like the mRNA vaccines. Less likely to have long term adverse reactions but I would still wait for a while (at least a year) from when that is released. It may never be allowed in Ireland though, we will see.

Yes the aggressiveness and scorn is pretty counter productive. People who don't want to take a vaccine right now are just performing a risk/reward calculation the same as people, well hopefully they did, who have taken a vaccine. I may have already have had mild C19 in December 2019 anyhow so I'm not so hurried to jump on the bandwagon until more long term data comes out.

"In this trial, we found that two doses of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine had no efficacy against the B.1.351 variant in preventing mild-to-moderate Covid-19. There were no cases of hospitalization for severe Covid-19 observed in the study"

That isn't immune escape, it is reduced efficacy against mild to moderate Covid-19, but not immune escape. The vaccines remain effective against all known variants of SARS-COV2.

"All 42 cases of Covid-19 were graded as mild (15 vaccine recipients and 17 placebo recipients) or moderate (4 vaccine recipients and 6 placebo recipients); there were no cases of severe disease or hospitalization in either group."

• Advertisement

two doses of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine had no efficacy against the B.1.351 variant

the vaccines remain effective against all known variants of SARS-COV2.

How can you put those 2 sentences in the same post that only has 4 sentences

You are saying that vaccines prevent infection against previous variants to delta and that the delta variant results aren't available yet. You have been caught in a lie and don't have the courage to clarify either of your statements because you will have to contradict yourself.

It's probably worth your time re-reading the paper then as at no time does it decisively say or in the results imply that vaccine escape has occurred.

This is a phase 2 trial by the manufacturer of the vaccine. It is decisive and will not proceed to phase 3.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about conclusions that can/can't be taken from controlled trials vs data collected in the wild.

This, which you linked, is not a phase 2 trial and it was not run by AstraZeneca, the manufacturer: Efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Covid-19 Vaccine against the B.1.351 Variant | NEJM

Was there another paper you meant to link?

That's the correct paper, read the protocol and collaborators

OK, I see where you're getting confused, AZ provided the vaccines (because they're the manufacturer..), but did not run the trial, it was a ran according to phase I/II protocols as it's own independent study but there was no phase III study planned in this case so it's disingenuous to imply otherwise or that the trial of the efficacy of Chadox1 against B.1.351 was a failure due to the lack of any severe outcomes during the trial.

I'm not confused, it was run in collaboration with AstraZeneca and is published by the same authors that published the phase 3 trial of AZ for the original strain (here: Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK - The Lancet)

I think you're arguing semantics there, AZ didn't run the trial, the authors did, independently of AZ (and funded by numerous organizations with the only item provided by AZ being the vaccine itself). It also doesn't imply vaccine escape and doesn't imply anything other than a reduction in efficacy vs. B.1.351 for mild and moderate symptoms, saying it says anything else is a reach and not supported by the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Here is my attempt at recreating the New Statesman chart from a few pages back (with current Irish data):

The blue is confirmed cases and the red is deaths. Each row represents a weeks aggregated data from the start.

The blip near the bottom is from the HSE hacking incident (where no data was reported for a few weeks).

You can see it here: Irish Confirmed Cases v Deaths / Gordon Smith / Observable (observablehq.com)

• Advertisement

Very good. What's the date of the small peak in infections before the large winter one?

Post edited by floorpie on

Advertisement