Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Absolutely. No harm for us to bask in the glow for a few days all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Why do people keep talking about 06 as if that has any bearing on what's happening in 2021? Some of the players on the current squad were in junior infants in 06.

While I agree that nothing has been won yet, it's only been a couple of days since the match, I think people are allowed to enjoy it for a few days. The final isn't for another month. I think once the Kerry/Tyrone match comes into proper focus, the chatter will die down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think he can do a job on similar big static players, people like Donaghy in 2017, Tommy Walsh and maybe David Moran at a push. But put him on a fast player and he's screwed, not only is he a passenger, he might as well not be playing.

The modern game is about not kicking the ball away in hopeful hail mary passes to a full forward and also about starting your defence from the full forward line and O'Shea isn't good at that. If playing I'd put him on Tommy Walsh as he's bound to be an outlet for Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think the extra two weeks will be a good thing for the players and management for a few reasons.

1. Give the legs a rest. Kerry will be that little bit more tired.
    2. Management and can take a good long look at Kerry strengths and weaknesses.
    3. Less pressure on everyone
    4. Any injuries or knocks given time to heal

One of the few AI finals I'm optimistic about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That was ruled out in the Mayo News article I read today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Dont worry the mgt and team will be fully focused on the 11th September, any suggestion to the contrary is doing them a huge disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The emergence of O'Hora over the last couple of games has been absolutely huge. Hopefully he will be a mainstay in the full back line for a long time to come, having been on the outskirts of the team for the last few years.

Absolute warrior. I had the pleasure of chatting with him and his Family in Ballina before the Galway game, and he's a very sound lad, a true gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Granite Head

Any word on Jason? I thought his rehab timeline was similar to Brendan's

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Advertisement

Last I heard he had a further Setback. I don't think we'll see him this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

@Loafing Oaf I hope VAR never comes into GAA. We have hawk eye and that is enough. VAR and TMO in Rugby both missed big incidents in recent Euro and Lions tours. Our issue in GAA is the rules and how they are applied. We have inconsistency at nearly all our games. If we had consistency we could put up with the rules.

@yop I think most fans who attend GAA are decent. Have a chat about where you are from shake hands at the end and wish a safe trip home. Im a postman in Dublin (north Dublin to be precise) and am getting serious stick this week from Mayo people. Thats how it should be. I like nothing better than going down the country staying over night a few songs, where would ya get it. At end of day every county has an element of gobs**tes following them but never let them get in the way of what the GAA is all about.

@MayoAreMagic Thats a very fair and measured post. Re the Small tackle. I felt at the time and on early replay it was not a foul. Both went 100% but McLoughlin was wide open. Initial Contact was on shoulder and force of impact caused Smalls shoulder (Physics) to go up and hit McLoughlins jaw. I dont think it was malicious.

The issue here is though as has been pointed out in various forums why was the game not immediately stopped. The linesman was a few feet away and as ref followed ball they are wired so no reason why he couldn't get game stopped. Player welfare is vital at every level of our games be that a coach shouting at kids or an adult player getting injured who possibly has a mortgage or family to look after. The smallest of GAA players today are so strong and powerful in comparison to 10 - 15years ago the rules need to be looked at to clean up the tackle. I see it at club games where lads are bulked up and so strong. It is a nightmare for referees. I think he got Byrne call right and D.O'Cs right. Rough play. McCarthys I only say a bad copy of and yes it was a card.

I and every genuine Dublin GAA person wishes Eoghan McLoughlin a speedy recovery. I would dearly love to see him play in the final.

At work Monday morning the first arguments started at 5.30am but unanimous verdict was best team won. Dublin had no energy and more importantly no natural pace, while the Mayo lads were flying. Horan got every call spot on especially taking off A. O'Se. The players responded perfectly. Would he be a better impact sub? The 2 H's got huge credit Hennelly and Hession. I thought Hession was really good and Hennelly>>>> what can you say.

Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I heard Jason Doc did the other leg so is gone and most likely the end for him. It is sad the way it has ended for him. A solid player over the years

That’s a terrible shame if that is the case. An outstanding servant for us over the years. A true workhorse of a player.

One of our very best players over the the last decade. Would have always had him first on our team sheet. His strength in the tackle, his cuteness around the breaking ball, etc were always vital for us and we missed him when he wasn't there, especially against Dublin. Felt his game against Kerry in the semifinal replay in 2017 was his finest game for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

This is not true. i can only remember himself and seamus, excellent kick passers, but when it comes to slotting it over the bar, they have a mental block. more often than not, it goes wide.

• Advertisement

not a top scorer sure, but he's not as inaccurate as he's made out to be. He doesn't take that many shots either, but he brings a lot more to the game. His tackling is immense and he's a real leader on the pitch. He's a lightning rod for Criticism and abuse and you only have to look at the salty meltdown on another county's thread right now to see how much he's disliked. I'm sure he couldn't care less. He's a starter for me but it's where to put him.

Without intending to be disrespectful, I'm going to tip Kerry to beat Tyrone, purely as I don't feel they will have been able to fully recover from COVID.

If Kerry's defence is as suspect as some claim it to be, them maybe 14 is Aido's position. He could work against David Moran in midfield who doesn't have pace either.

Not really a decision for me or anyone else on here. That's for James Horan and his selectors to work on, they've managed to get things right so far so I'll trust their judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm only talking about Aido here and his shot/score ratio.I don't have the exact stats but anecdotally from my own memory.He doesn't miss much,a lot of that is down to him not taking low percentage shots,the stats would show he's very accurate.

Some people are confusing not being prolific ( which is isnt) with not being accurate which simply isn't true.Two bad misses on Sat has added to that false narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

To be honest I only recall him scoring points against the likes or Leitrim Sligo etc. I can only recall him missing the majority of scores he attempts to kick against the big teams in the later stages of the championship. But that's not what his game is about to be fair to him.

I should also add that i don't recall many attempts at kicking points in those games either! There is one that stands out in one of the 16 or 17 finals where he attempted and missed at a crucial time, but to be fair to him I don't think there was anything else on at the same time!

don't have the details for other years, but I know he scored 7 from 9 attempts in the 2017 championship. That was also the year he was played in nearly every line on the pitch.

• Advertisement

More often than not it goes wide you say?

I would like to see the stats that says Aido misses 50% or more of attempted scores.Im afraid I have to call bullsh1t on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I heard it today from an in the know and reliable source that there's every chance Oisin will be good to go for September 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Will it be etickets for the final?

How will the pod system work. Will it be all pods of 2.

Any info on how the hurling tickets were distributed?

Heard myself that he would have been good to go even if the original AI final date had remained the same.

In less positive news, the AFL are still extremely interested in him. He'll have a decision to make soon enough.

That's fair, I checked back on the Blog for 2017 our of interest:

1 point against Derry

1 point against Clare

3 points against Cork

2 against Roscommon in the replay

That makes up the seven, By any chance do you know what games the misses were in? So i take your point in fairness, when he kicks he scores more than he misses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Apparently he was approached just before covid took hold and stayed put and plans to stay put after. Reliable enough source who has been right on all things Mayo that I've asked him so far.

As a GAA fan and for the good of the game, you want lads like him staying around. Even though I'm certain he will cause me some pain in the next few years, the game will be better for having him involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Well done to Mayo on the win and best of luck in final. Well deserved and held their nerve in extra time. O'Hora, Keegan, Ruane were brilliant. Aidan O'Shea taken off was the game changer as mayo reverted to their running and fully pressed Dublin. Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue stepped up and kicked vital scores. As ye know well no medals for winning semi finals so make sure ye push on and win the final. Still a lot to improve on which is great going into a final.

Hope you're right! Obviously players have every right to go and play wherever they want, but I do think it's a real shame when we lose great individuals. The national games are hugely important and we need our best to showcase every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Didn’t he do the other leg before as well :(

Couldn't tell you which games had the 2 points he missed I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Regardless of AOS limitations when it comes to kicking points, that mark was a tap over, i just can't get my head around how an experienced inter county player could miss it. Im not trying to have a go at him, far from it but its bewildering

The maddening thing for me watching was that he took it with the left. I will stand corrected if he is a citóg but I always thought he was stronger on the right. And it was perfect for a right footer.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been for a Mayo fan watching. It actually reminded me of the handy one Clifford missed in the Munster final v Cork last year from the 13 also. Put it down to lack of concentration or whatever and never expect it to happen again

Fair enough so. No idea how I got it in my head he was right footed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Aido has let the county down in every big game for years.

Taking him off the last day was the first time somebody made the big call and it worked.

Hopefully its the kick up the A hole as he will need to step up for the final. No point pulling another Houdini on final day.

I'm really enjoying this build up,flags are up,new bunting bought,talking football to everybody I meet,a tangible pep in the step of folks about the place,I love it and it's all great.

One of the small negatives (and it is very small) is gobsh1tes coming on other countys forums, looking for a cheap rise and talking scutter.

Let them off.

Will be home this weekend to soak it all in.

Can't believe I attended all the losses in recent years and missed the win.. But was great to watch.

Wow,if you're actually from Mayo that's worse.

Aido has never excelled for a full game v Dublin,I think he'd tell you that himself.He has against Donegal,Tyrone,Galway,Kerry and every other team we've played,you must have missed those matches alright.

I am and I stand that Aido has been very poor in the big games.

I think he has been great for the county in many games but my statement is accurate (When i say big games I do mean finals and semi losses most of which are dublin). I am confused, you agree but say I am somehow wrong to state it??

Maybe hop down off the high horse there a bit, helps with perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Always enjoyed this point from Aido in the 2016 QF

You said "Aido has let the county down in every big game for years"

When I pointed out he has performed against every team in the big games except Dublin you then backtracked to say you that's what you meant.

You're right about one thing......You are confused.

Bit of a broad brush statement to say Aidan has let us down in every big game for years.

Outside of some sub par performances v Dublin he has oft performed admirably in the big games.

MOTM 2013 v Donegal.

He has performed well against Donegal ( vital goal in 2015 ),Tyrone,Galway and Kerry.He certainly did not let us down v Kerry in 2014 nor 2017.

He ran out of gas against Dublin in 2013 on a very warm day against quite a mobile midfield/middle 8.Cluxton pinging the ball out in the wide zones,he was run ragged.

His performance v Dublin in 2017 up to the 60th minute or so when he again ran out of gas was nothing to sneezed at.A fine performance.

Saturday was his worst performance in manys a long day and I am sure there is nobody more self critical than Aidan.

I was just thinking the very same thing. Donegal 2013, Kerry 2014 (both game) and 2017, Tyrone 2016 are just a few that were excellent performances from Aido.

I think there's a very peculiar narrative that goes around outside of the county with Aido, majority of it is dung, to quote Oisin McConville. There's nonsense about him having some sort of obsession with media interviews. Ger Brennan came out with the same shite on the GAA hour a while back and Parkinson pulled him up on it and asked him for specifics, stating that Parkinson had been asking Aido to come on the Podcast since 2016 and Aido declined every time - Brennan then started spoofing and proceeded to talk about Conor Mortimer (who hasn't played for Mayo since 2012).

Malachy Clerkin had a great article after the Galway game on Aidan O’Shea in particular and how much **** that is thrown at him on social media and often times by pundits/former players. Clerkin also called out some folk on Twitter about this (link to thread and article https://twitter.com/malachyclerkin/status/1419546750503858176?s=21) and highlighted misconceptions about Aidan’s media presence. He engaged with a few of the usual trolls, no surprise where the most of them were from, highlighting that Fenton and Kilkenny had easily done more media than Aidan, and you'll see a number of the troll posts then deleted, knowing then that they were talking through their hole I suppose.

I've seen a number of ex players, most from the same county, all at the same craic and all having a sly dig. I suppose it's a way for them to try to stay relevant. There's a load of Dog and army sites that are just the absolute dregs of social media that feed all of this too. It's curious really, and again, most of it all from one county. You'd wonder why they would bother. I mean if he was that poor a player, why go to the effort?. And if your Team has truly deserved their success, then why spend the time trying to wind up opposition players or their fans?.

The funniest thing is now you have a number of these lads who have been quite happy to see Aido being vilified throughout the years getting awfully pious because of some of the reaction to the incident between Small and McLoughlin on Saturday, moaning about the impact on Small's "mental health" and wellbeing. Case in point Paul Flynn who in takes a bizarre stance on it in my view given he was as former head of the GPA n the Second Captains podcast. He trots on about how the attention on the incident is all very mean and unfair before being comprehensively schooled by Oisin McConville. I've only managed to get 4 minutes of that but it's a remarkable exchange. It's well worth a listen.

Where were all these experts on mental health and wellbeing when their own colleagues and county men were at exactly that with Aido (and a number of other Mayo players - Hennelly, Cillian, Keegan) over the years?. Why were they not calling that out then?. Didn't suit them then I suppose.

I mean not everyone has to like Aido as a footballer or even as a person, but the number of times the line has been crossed over the years and now all of a sudden it's an area of concern, when it's one of their own on the receiving end, it's quite hypocritical really.

Confirmation of the glad and not so glad tidings.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/08/18/oisin-mullin-on-course-to-be-fit-for-all-ireland-final/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I just missed some of Off The Ball, and they mentioned a podcast with Rob Hennelly. Anyone know where I'd find what they were talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone else think the lights in Croke Park are not as bright as they should be?

Aidan has struggled against Dublin before in the past, particularly at FF where they have his number.

However, to say "he has never performed in big games for Mayo" is completely false. Posters here have already offered examples. His performances against Kerry in 2014 in particular was something to be very proud of - he left everything on the pitch both days.

The issue he has is unfortunately a lack of pace, which Dublin found easier to expose than most because of how pacey their squad was over the last decade. I think Horan has pace on the brain with this new squad, and where Aidan fits into that now, I do not know, I am not an expert.

However, I think Aidan will know himself, more than anyone, that his performance the last night wasn't up to standard. He'll know exactly why he was subbed. I expect a reaction from him the next day (provided he starts, and I think he will, I think Horan will offer him a chance to redeem himself). I will not be surprised at all to see him pulled ashore again though before the 70 minutes are up. I think Horan will finish out the game with youth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement