Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

deezell wrote: »
    The Bridge connects to your local network by Ethernet only. All other Tado devices, stats, ext. kit, trvs, sensors, connect to the Bridge wirelessly, but not using WiFi. The connection is a low power wireless protocol, 6LoWPAN, an 'IPv6 over Low -Power Wireless Personal Area Networks'. The protocol supports mesh topology, device to device repeating, but afaik Tado only implement hub or star topology, it would probably strain devices such as TRVs in terms of processing and power consumption to act as repeaters. I've no knowledge as to how other mesh devices can be inserted into the Tado environment to act as repeaters, but anything is possible I suppose.

thanks! Think I'll first look up netatmo to see how it handles internet connectivity and within-network connectivity. if that also has same issue then dryser wise. if that too, then come back to tado - probably I need to move into the house, then try using the powerline adapter (It never worked for me in my rental apt.), then see if I can get tado with the bridge small device connecting to the powerline adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭deezell

Just as an aside, when Tado appears as a device in Google Home, IFTTT, or accessed through Alexa, I had always assumed that these devices are reaching the Tado devices via your router and through the Bridge, and not by direct mesh wireless connectivity. Having said that the V3 bridge is capable of visibility to Apple Homekit, which allows direct Apple control of the stat even in the event of an Internet ISP outage. I haven't bothered to investigate if this is by peer to peer lan via your router, or direct connection to the Bridge. I've read a case where the user shifted his bridge centrally using a powering adapter. No reason it shouldn't work, unless the powering carrier interferes with the bridge 6lowpan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »
    Tado Contract
    Anyone know the consequences of cancelling my Tado contract.

From what i can recall, i purchased the starter kit without a contract and then found a "renewal" contact one year later. I paid for this and now want to know what happens if I cancel.

Will i just loose the app - or the ability to change the setting from my phone?

Can i renew the contract after a few months? Will it cost more?

Anyone have any insight into cancelling their contract.

TIA

It seems its a rental agreement i have with Tado directly, its not a subscription as i though it was.

I (thought) i had purchased a starter kit and a few additional rad valves for a 2 year period and after 2 payments I would own them outright.
    That all happened in 2018 & 2019, i didn't realise they (tado) had taken another payment last year of €155. (Its set up as an automatic payment directly from my pay pal) ( bastads)

If i cancel my agreement - with all of the devises be useless?
    Thanks anyone who can shed light on this.
    I emailed them and it seems the option was there to buy out over 2 years if purchasing from UK or certain other countries, but not Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mine is connected via a powerline, I've it on the same powerline as my Hue and Yale hubs and have never had a problem with any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Any thoughts on this?

https://thehubcontroller.com/save-money-with-the-hubcontroller/

What are the pros and cons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I currently have two heating zones, controlled by programmable thermostats. I have daily schedules, with four 'On' timeslots per day. I would like to replicate this approach on a per room basis, using smart radiator heads. I'd be happy if I could have automated schedules similar to what I have.

My question is whether I can still have a schedule with Tado heads, if the Internet is down? I'd be happy to use Home Assistant, or similar, if necessary. The installation site has very unreliable internet and I don't want everything to fall over, if it's down.

If I can't do this with Tado, which is my preference, can anyone recommend an alternative product?

Thanks in advance :)

The whole thing is a con. Buy a proper smart thermostat, not this one from fairyland. Assuming we can still navigate and search for past posts on this new interface, you will find plenty of home truths about the hub controller and it's 'raison d'etre' on this thread and the ' hub controller' thread.

It's interesting to see what the inside temperatures are at the moment. Tado is showing 26.8° for my main stat in the centre, and 25.4° on the TRV in the kitchen. They peaked at 27.1 and 26.1 yesterday at about 6.00 pm. We could be in the market for A/C in this country at rate global warming is going.

Also it's notable that Tado now allows 0.5° granularity setting on TRVs, both on app manual or schedule, though actual temperature is displayed on the app to 0.1°. The main stat still allows schedules to be set by 0.1° increments, but manual boosts are in 0.5° steps only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

We're moving into a new build next month; any good advice on smart home bundles from the energy suppliers. It's an A3 house with GFCH, but the controls are not smart.

A new build wouldn't qualify for the grants the utility companies claim, but there may be a promotion by an energy company for switching. My youngest just moved into an A3 new build, 2 wall stats are wired basic mechanical, HW is controlled by a three zone timer, and all rooms other than those hosting the wall stats have TRVs, so a house like this is model for either a Hive, Drayton kit 3 wireless conversion, or just two Tado or Netatmo wired stats, with the HW remaining on the 3 zone timer IF the HW is via a traditional cylinder, and not direct from the gas boiler.

Existing mechanical TRVs will cap their rooms' temperatures, in these new houses it's unlikely that great savings will be made by having Smart TRV schedules in these rooms, as the insulation and draught/ventilation control is so high, you would see little heating activity in the unused rooms, and only minor reduction in that room temperature while adjacent rooms are calling for heat.

A couple of wired smart stats would be your first move, wired can be a simple DIY replacement. WIreless will require a little more knowledge to connect at the zone controller. Its unlikely any energy supplier promotion would sub more than a single stat, and would want full price for a second. One energy company was installing electronic stats with a modicum of predictive control, but no smart features. They were putting this one stat in place of existing 2 zoned mechanical stat installations, and claiming it was more efficient due to the stat's magical powers. So beware of this one, its just a grant levering exercise, but a new build wouldn't qualify, so they won't be interested in you.

• Advertisement

What’s my best option for a simple turn oil on - turn oil off, and also maybe to be able to set it for a time every morning or whatever. I’d looked at Nests and all but I’m not going wiring the house with thermostats so I wouldn’t get the full benefits of one. Would something like a Sonoff work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If getting a tado smart thermostat v3, do I also need an extension kit?

I've an oil boiler with a 2 zone controller fro rads and HW

If you want to set the HW timing from the app, then the ext kit will be needed. Otherwise keep your 2 zone controller for the HW timing, set the 2 zone controller CH timing to always on. and just replace your existing wired wall thermostat with the Tado, which takes over timing and temperature control from the existing Zone box.

If you don't have a wired wall stat, as is sometimes the case, then to avoid having to run wires for the Tado stat, get the extension kit, which gives wireless connectivity to the Tado wall stat, and App control of HW timing. The extension kit will replace the old 2 zone controller, all the wiring required is in place there

Nobody? Is it frowned upon now not to be buying an expensive smart system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

Deezell, Clareman, Thanks again for your earlier help in understanding smart heating compatibility :) the missing piece for me was to understand how the internet bridge would connect to my router, which I now know I can solve by using a wifi extender from netgear which has an ethernet port. I'll place this netgear device in a central location of the house from where I hope the RF signals can reach the boiler shed in the back garden plus the 11 radiators across 3 floors.

Follow-up question on "what to buy"

My boiler has 2 zones, one for house, one for hot water. The currently EPH Ember seems to have some temperature sensing device connected to the hot water tank and another wireless thermostat that is in the house somewhere.

When I go for Tado, I understand I will need the Wireless starter Kit (https://www.tado.com/gb-en/wireless-smart-thermostat-specifications-overview), where the

1. wireless receiver will connect to the gas heater boiler
    2. the wireless temperature sensor will sit in the house
    3. the internet bridge will connect via ethernet to LAN.

i also understand I can buy the smart TRVs.

1) What I don't understand is what do I need to connect to the hot water tank?

2) Do you know whether tado can do modulated heating vs just on-off heating? I noticed that Netatmo has the option of Modulating Thermostat but Tado is not clear.

Sonoff will do nicely for simple On Off remote control and timing. No one is frowning or minds in the least if you don't splash out on a formal smart thermostat system..... Ya big cheapskate! 😁

1. Your wireless ext kit also has a relay to control the HW zone valve, and the app will have a timer schedule panel separately for this. HW temperature will still be controlled by a manual stat on the cylinder. The ember does have app control of temperature, you could leave this as is.

2. The Tado does have an output for digital control of boilers equipped with OpenTherm digital input. The Tado stat can be connected thus, but you will not have the on off switching to the Zone valve for CH afaik, as this is muted if the control method is set to OT. This may have changed. Even then, the boiler will only fire for CH events, as HW control via OT is limited to combi boilers which have direct pumped hot water to the tap, with no HW cylinder.

The good news is that even with a straight on off connection to the boiler, Tado implements its own modulation scheme as target temperature is approached.

I’ve one of those switches with the red light on it feeding it though, and it’s in a small piece of wall with the wires only barely long enough to reach in and out of it. Ideally I need a wifi replacement for that switch front but after searching I can’t see that they even exist except for lights. An oil burner would probably melt a light switch.

• Advertisement

That looks the job thanks. Hopefully I’d be able to loop the 2 neutrals into the one terminal in it.

I’d love a fancier setup (nest preferably as we’ve the cameras and are getting the doorbell) but there’s no thermostats in the house except for on the radiators.

Very easy to fit a wireless stat in a central location, then just fit it's receiver in place of your switch. Nest, Tado, Drayton, Hive and others will all support a wireless stat. With Tado, Drayton, Netatmo, you can change some of the radiator stats for app integrated smart wireless TRV's further down the road.

Went for a hunt around the back of the boiler and hit the jackpot. That switch I mentioned doesn’t go through straight to the boiler, it goes to a double socket which the boiler plugs into. That would leave me free to put anything in there then so long as the wi-fi goes that far.

Moving into a house that was built around 1999 so planning on improving insulation etc. But also looking at getting a Tado plus 3 smart trvs, I'll also probably look at getting the thermostat installed, think I just need to get a gas man for that part. So any other recommendations on stuff I should get around heating?

What have you currently got. Wall stats? Timer controller? Stat on the HW cylinder or HW on demand direct from the gas?, upstairs/down zoning? Are there manual TRVs on the rads already? Post a few images.

These determine the kit you will need, more likely you will need a sparks rather than a boiler fitter to install, but if you can find a 'gas' sparks, you'll be entertained as well as having your stats fitted.

I'm gonna be moving in Tuesday and Wednesday so should be able to provide photos then. The rads are all new so pretty sure they'll manual trvs on them. It's pretty bare minimum what it has otherwise.

Ah, house moving. Don't be in a rush. A '99 house will keep you busy for a while with big ticket items. Post pictures at any stage. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

hi all. so finally installed my 2 motorised valves, one on CH, and one on HW . (will need to get a hw stat in future , but for now 1/2 hour in the morning is enough )

now have heating in an S-plan , running a drayton wiser controller . next is wiring . do i need to rewire everything through a control box ? looks like its the way to go .

looks straight forward enough , although location is going to be tough .. any recommendations .

Keep the control box close to the two valves, it will make testing easier.

I presume that's not your wiring, but an example from the diagram above. You can make life easier for yourself by using a custom wiring box like this

or a high end push fit labelled active relay lex box like this.

https://www.nrgawareness.com/product/nrg-lex-v2-system-control-module/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

yea was looking at the lwc1 for drayton , (thats the one in the pic above )

Advertisement