Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-04-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What were Paps and Platinum like back in the day? Was there a club there before covid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The club in the shopping centre closed over ten years ago as far as I know. The last pub in the SC (Farrells) closed January 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Back in the 90s Paparazzis was busy. A kip, but busy. So was Scruples, which was in the basement of what is now The Haddington.

As regards Paps, there was always a bar and club there in my memory which goes back to it being Schooners in the early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Paps used to be a pound a drink on Sundays back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was in college. I wouldn’t go near the place any other night but we had many a good Sunday night there, totally different crowd.

This was back when you had to serve food for a late licence etc.

A triple vodka and red bull filled a pint glass for 4 quid, I’m surprised we all made it out in one piece.

There was a place above Golden Discs in the SC too, was only there a couple of times. No idea what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

mailforkev wrote: »
    There was a place above Golden Discs in the SC too, was only there a couple of times. No idea what it was called.

Nemo's and briefly Lime Bar. It was very seedy but, good craic nonetheless.

Walters was a good spot too. However, it got very rough in the last 2 years in operation.

Prive Bar and Bodega Club were also pretty decent.

Paps also went by Party House for a short stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

mailforkev wrote: »
    Paps used to be a pound a drink on Sundays back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was in college. I wouldn’t go near the place any other night but we had many a good Sunday night there, totally different crowd.

This was back when you had to serve food for a late licence etc.

A triple vodka and red bull filled a pint glass for 4 quid, I’m surprised we all made it out in one piece.

Amateur....triple vodkas with Smirnoff Ice as the mixer was far more efficient at ensuring you had no memory of the ensuing evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Surely I can't be the only one here old enough to remember Pukers?

A fire hazard open Wednesdays to Mondays complete with 'chicken' dinner, filthy glasses, pint bottles of Guinness, a tiny dance floor that nobody ever danced on, more smoke than an edition of Top of the Pops and the best craic known to mankind....

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Surely I can't be the only one here old enough to remember Pukers?

A fire hazard open Wednesdays to Mondays complete with 'chicken' dinner, filthy glasses, pint bottles of Guinness, a tiny dance floor that nobody ever danced on, more smoke than an edition of Top of the Pops and the best craic known to mankind....

What a place!! More nooks and crannies..... wasn’t there a spiral stair off to one side of the ‘dance floor’? Loved the place for all its faults, seem to remember the bouncers being a bit unpredictable. You could be there several weeks in a row and the next week “sorry not tonight, regulars only” 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There was a place where Spoons is about 10 years ago. Had a few good nights but was too much like a south dublin clique to be enjoyable. Was getting bored of that vibe by around 2012.

There was a place where Spoons is about 10 years ago. Had a few good nights but was too much like a south dublin clique to be enjoyable. Was getting bored of that vibe by around 2012.

I know that it was Bodega Bar for a bit with the Prive Club upstairs. It may have gone under a different name before reverting back to being The 40 Foot albeit under the JD Wetherspoon brand.

What a place!! More nooks and crannies..... wasn’t there a spiral stair off to one side of the ‘dance floor’? Loved the place for all its faults, seem to remember the bouncers being a bit unpredictable. You could be there several weeks in a row and the next week “sorry not tonight, regulars only” ��

You're right. The spiral stairs brought you to the 'restaurant'. Imagine - spiral stairs to bring p*ssed up people to eat.

Yeah, I loved it too. Guaranteed hangovers and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

You're right. The spiral stairs brought you to the 'restaurant'. Imagine - spiral stairs to bring p*ssed up people to eat.

Yeah, I loved it too. Guaranteed hangovers and all

Restaurant?? Never knew that 😳

Restaurant?? Never knew that ��

I use 'restaurant' loosely. It was the area where they served the pigeon chicken and rice

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Would be great to see a nightclub or a late bar back in Dún Laoghaire. The Lighthouse is well set up for it with the venue part upstairs but they've no late licence. The people who own House on Leeson St were said to have bought Walters a few years ago but nothing ever came of it which is a pity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Walters is one to watch, if rumours and workmen currently on site are anything to go by.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Walters is one to watch, if rumours and workmen currently on site are anything to go by.

It was bought by the folk who run 'House' on Leeson Street, some time ago.

I'm not certain if they retain ownership of it, but it would be a wise move to reopen it as a top class venue in parallel with a gradual return to more normal social life.

Suburban nightclubs were all but dead five years ago even; but a late bar that avoids getting a reputation for certain clientele would have to work.

L1011 wrote: »
    Suburban nightclubs were all but dead five years ago even; but a late bar that avoids getting a reputation for certain clientele would have to work.

That was before everyone started spending a lot more time in suburbia though.

Tabnabs wrote: »

What are these rumours pray tell??

That was before everyone started spending a lot more time in suburbia though.

They didn't die because people spent time in the city centre for other purposes.

They died because of dating apps, late bars, people getting tired of seeing the same two hundred people in the club twice every weekend, later Nitelinks and taxi deregulation.

In the 90s/early 00s you often had little choice but the nearby clubs that you could walk to/from or get a local hackney; because a taxi from town would be next to impossible to get back and cost you an obscene sum. People went to these clubs in the hope of getting the shift, because there were few other ways to find it; and because getting any drink after 11:30 in Winter was impossible.

Late bars and dating apps have practically killed the generic music nightclub in cities too by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »
    They didn't die because people spent time in the city centre for other purposes.

They died because of dating apps, late bars, people getting tired of seeing the same two hundred people in the club twice every weekend, later Nitelinks and taxi deregulation.

In the 90s/early 00s you often had little choice but the nearby clubs that you could walk to/from or get a local hackney; because a taxi from town would be next to impossible to get back and cost you an obscene sum. People went to these clubs in the hope of getting the shift, because there were few other ways to find it; and because getting any drink after 11:30 in Winter was impossible.

Late bars and dating apps have practically killed the generic music nightclub in cities too by this stage.

Exactly. Pubs closed at 11:30. If you wanted a drink you had to go a night club.
    Once pubs stayed open later the initiative to go on to a night club was removed. Especially if you had to pay in.

Also , the millennium was a big turning point. Pubs took the piss with prices and people had a great time at home and at house parties

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Went to Paps for a fight and a disco broke out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

This thread brings the memories flooding back. Mid 2000's and the struggle to retain customers in Dun Laoghaire was apparent

Paps - A couple of pints in Bakers would inevitably lead to discussion of heading up to Bondi but inevitably for some reason you'd end up in Paps questioning your life choices. Of course it was well known for having a bit of a rough element but still you'd have a great night. Seen a hell of a lot worse carry on in some rural clubs in the bog ar*e of nowhere. As time went on Paps changed it's name, the clientele worsened and could tell the writing was on the wall.

Nemos / Lime / ??? - A decent alternative that sprung up to try and boost the nightlife in Dun Laoghaire. Nemos was the go to for underagers and once they grew out of it it went downhill before changing to Lime which was never really took off. It had potential as a great spot and if it was slightly bigger with some themed nights I reckon it could have pulled in bigger crowds.

Walters - I'm guessing once it was taken over by a certain gorgeous individual the desirability of the customers nosedived. My folks always enjoyed going down for a few drinks at the weekends and then as I got older I'd be doing the same. But by the time myself and mates went it had gained a bad reputation. Absolutely no idea how it turned so bad so quickly but the amount of fights and coke in there was ridiculous. A real shame because it was a cracking spot for music.

Purty Kitchen - Always a reliable and quirky enough to stave off the undesirables. Not much to say as it's always managed to hold its own.

Honourable mentions to the late comers, Hardys bar in Royal Marine which made for an excellent late night alternative and Gilbert & Wrights which brought a bit of buzz to the other end of town. And of course the 40ft with it's glitzy interior and Celtic Tiger prices.

It absolutely blows my mind now that there's no nightclub at all anywhere near Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

ted1 wrote: »
    Exactly. Pubs closed at 11:30. If you wanted a drink you had to go a night club.
    Once pubs stayed open later the initiative to go on to a night club was removed. Especially if you had to pay in.

Also , the millennium was a big turning point. Pubs took the piss with prices and people had a great time at home and at house parties

I agree with you there as regards the rip off at millenium time. People just said tohell with them. House parties for New Years Eve became the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

All this talk of night clubs in the area and no one has mentioned the daddy of them all where I reckon the went to ___ for a fight and a disco broke out came from Ziggys or The Roxy as it was later called. The curry was great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

crushproof wrote: »
    This thread brings the memories flooding back. Mid 2000's and the struggle to retain customers in Dun Laoghaire was apparent

Paps - A couple of pints in Bakers would inevitably lead to discussion of heading up to Bondi but inevitably for some reason you'd end up in Paps questioning your life choices. Of course it was well known for having a bit of a rough element but still you'd have a great night. Seen a hell of a lot worse carry on in some rural clubs in the bog ar*e of nowhere. As time went on Paps changed it's name, the clientele worsened and could tell the writing was on the wall.

Nemos / Lime / ??? - A decent alternative that sprung up to try and boost the nightlife in Dun Laoghaire. Nemos was the go to for underagers and once they grew out of it it went downhill before changing to Lime which was never really took off. It had potential as a great spot and if it was slightly bigger with some themed nights I reckon it could have pulled in bigger crowds.

Walters - I'm guessing once it was taken over by a certain gorgeous individual the desirability of the customers nosedived. My folks always enjoyed going down for a few drinks at the weekends and then as I got older I'd be doing the same. But by the time myself and mates went it had gained a bad reputation. Absolutely no idea how it turned so bad so quickly but the amount of fights and coke in there was ridiculous. A real shame because it was a cracking spot for music.

Purty Kitchen - Always a reliable and quirky enough to stave off the undesirables. Not much to say as it's always managed to hold its own.

Honourable mentions to the late comers, Hardys bar in Royal Marine which made for an excellent late night alternative and Gilbert & Wrights which brought a bit of buzz to the other end of town. And of course the 40ft with it's glitzy interior and Celtic Tiger prices.

It absolutely blows my mind now that there's no nightclub at all anywhere near Dun Laoghaire.

Walters was a good spot, nice restaurant up stairs that’s until it changed ownership and went down hill rapidly. Purty the same was good back in late 90s

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    All this talk of night clubs in the area and no one has mentioned the daddy of them all where I reckon the went to ___ for a fight and a disco broke out came from Ziggys or The Roxy as it was later called. The curry was great there.

Best place in the borough mid to late 80's, same oul ****e with drugs but the favourite in there was acid or yokes, if it was yokes, everyone loved each other, if it was acid, nobody cared

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know that it was Bodega Bar for a bit with the Prive Club upstairs. It may have gone under a different name before reverting back to being The 40 Foot albeit under the JD Wetherspoon brand.

It was The Missing Swan in the 90s, then it was Tonic. Decent enough spot, the closest thing to a nightclub the area had. I worked there for a while.
    crushproof wrote: »

I remember going to it a lot when it was Trader's Wharf. A lot of us who worked in the village/the shopping centre drank there.

JayRoc wrote: »
    It was The Missing Swan in the 90s, then it was Tonic. Decent enough spot, the closest thing to a nightclub the area had.

Ah yes, the Blackrock branch was indeed The Missing Swan before it was changed to Tonic with Suite 54 opening up on the first floor towards the last 3 years it was in business. When Wetherspoons took it over, it re-opened as The Three Tonne Tavern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Re Nemos / Lime

Was it Captain Americas before, used to be a bar just inside the door. had some sessions in there over the years.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Advertisement