Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I don’t get how Meghan is currently less popular than Andrew?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Selfish people don't see the harm they do. They always seem genuinely baffled when they've shafted someone, that the person they shafted is pissed off. They really don't ever seem to grasp why someone would have less and less to do with them as a result of repeated selfish behaviour.

It looks increasingly likely that the Netflix deal was really supposed to deliver content that involved the inner workings of the Royals - particularly if the deal was being negotiated before they left. I think that Meghan made big assumptions that they'd play ball, while Harry was too clueless to see the extent of what was being asked of them and realise that it would never be pulled off.

It's also likely that they have no interesting content. We can see the way she's copied the Obamas trajectory and ideas, the fishing for other people's content to monetise on through their Archiewell website that they don't seem to have anything different or unique going for them that can translate into the big bucks they need. The one thing they did have that made them worthy of interest or investment was their royal lives. Which they scuppered by quitting the job. The people who give them the big deals want to make money on their investment but while I'd possibly tune in to a reality-tv programme of them at home for a few episodes, what they seem to be doing via netflix holds little appeal because there's people who are doing it already, and doing it far better than the Markles could produce.

Haz and Meg to the rescue!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9901481/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-break-silence-Afghanistan-say-speechless.html

A Message from The Duke and Duchess of Sussex:

'The world is exceptionally fragile right now.

As we all feel the many layers of pain due to the situation in Afghanistan, we are left speechless.

As we all watch the growing humanitarian disaster in Haiti, and the threat of it worsening after last weekend's earthquake, we are left heartbroken.

And as we all witness the continuing global health crisis, exacerbated by new variants and constant misinformation, we are left scared.

When any person or community suffers, a piece of each of us does so with them, whether we realize it or not. And though we are not meant to live in a state of suffering, we, as a people, are being conditioned to accept it. It's easy to find ourselves feeling powerless, but we can put our values into action — together.

To start, we encourage you to join us in supporting a number of organizations doing critical work. We also urge those in positions of global influence to rapidly advance the humanitarian dialogues that are expected to take place this fall at multilateral gatherings such as the U.N. General Assembly and the G20 Leaders' Summit.

As an international community, it is the decisions we make now — to alleviate suffering among those we know and those we may never meet — that will prove our humanity.'

– THE DUKE & DUCHESS OF SUSSEX

The Archewell Commitment 

Like many of you, we are closely watching the crises happening across the world right now, and we are heartbroken. Archewell is committed to putting our values into action, and we hope to do what we can to meet the moment by offering support to the military community and the troops who served in Afghanistan, as well as to the Afghan people facing violence and terror.

We are also supporting the emergency response in Haiti with our partner World Central Kitchen, which is working with local organizations that are helping with recovery efforts to save lives and preserve the health of those on the ground.

Finally, against this backdrop, we are acutely aware that the rise of the COVID-19 Delta variant has jeopardized the health and safety of families around the world. We are working to support vaccine equity through our commitment to combating the spread of misinformation, as well as our ongoing partnerships with Vax Live and Global Citizen.

We recognize that many of you may feel helpless right now as you watch the state of the world spin rapidly. It can feel disorienting and defeating, but we have faith in the power of shared purpose, action, and commitment to our collective well-being.

Below, please find resources where you can learn about how to help those affected by these global emergencies. You'll also find resources for your own mental health, which we hope you'll use as you navigate whatever comes up for you during this critical time. Take care of yourselves, and let's keep taking care of each other.

Thank you,

The Archewell Team”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Cashing in on catastrophes ... I thought they couldn't go any lower in my estimation.

Shameless and callous pair of frauds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

What the actual hell. Are they actually making their own national address while plugging their vanity project?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So are they actually going to be giving money to humanitarian endeavours or is it just the great unwashed who are expected to cough up and donate? Or just their thoughts and prayers.

It's hard to tell what they are instructing us to do amidst all that word salad and flowery waffle. I'll tell you what though, it's almost uncanny the way they are able to recognise events and world disasters to turn into a PR opportunity for themselves or their companies. The absence of the final polish from the Palace press office is glaring though. That's where all their projects fall down.

And isn't it utterly disgusting the way they purport to feel "many layers of pain" at the situations in Haiti and Afghanistan? Just, how dare they?

I used to think that accusations of narcissism were a tad far fetched and that they were just your common garden-variety celebrity opportunist but now I just see in everything they say and do, the grandiose pontificating and absolute unawareness of how entitled and spoiled they sound.

I read on a gossip site that she's Harry's manager and takes 10%. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Puffed up with their own sense of self-importance and relevance or just another pair of grifters on the make? I’d say it’s a combination of the two. They registered their charity in Delaware. Doing so was (and remains) an indication that their intent is to make money from Archewell (i.e. less oversight, anonymity, tax loop holes for their non-profit that makes a profit etc.). In fairness, and in the interest of balance, they are not the only celebrities and personalities who do this but I think their statement is a great example of so called philantrocapitalism i.e. of exploiting global attention on catastrophe and emergency to make a grand-standing statement but then guiding people who genuinely want to help in anyway they can towards their own charity which get’s plugged in their statement imploring compassion (and the all important donations). With it registered in Delaware then only a small percentage of what is donated ultimately goes to help.

"many layers of pain" - really? What does that even mean? Seems a tad overblown. We all feel sick and saddened but "many layers of pain" is a bit insulting coming from a Californian mansion to people in the developing world who've lost what little they had in the world.

They are just so lacking in subtlety while at the same time thinking they represent the height of nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

They hardly write this stuff themselves????? I can't see them sitting down at the pc after dinner and putting this together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The accuser was 17 at the time so it would be legal in the UK. It was Epstein and Maxwell that were the groomers. It doesn’t help that she’s the only victim we see or hear from when other victims were much younger but Epstein is dead.

This is all happening at a time when an American driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK killed Harry Dunne then claimed diplomatic immunity she didn’t have and fled the country, the Americans aren’t sending her to the UK so it’s a bit rich expecting the UK to hand over a Prince.

I think it's exactly the type of overly dramatic, overly written dross that an actress would come up with.

The age of consent was legal here in the UK, however Andrew is accused of having sex with a trafficked minor. It's the trafficked bit that is the illegality as trafficking has no age limit but maybe more severe consequences for a trafficker if the victim is a minor?

All that's happened so far is that the FBI wanted to question him when they were building the case against Epstein and subsequently Maxwell. Now, I'm sure if they did question him, they'd probably have him tripping himself up on all sorts of incriminating other stuff they don't know about, given how badly he lied in his TV interview, so you could understand why the RF/ UK government won't let the FBI near him - he could literally bring down the monarchy, he's that stupid and arrogant.

@valoren philantrocapitalism is an excellent word to describe what H & M are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

At 17 I wouldn’t consider her a minor. I guess it depends on the state. It’s the prostitution and travel between state lines that makes it criminal. I wonder are the airline liable for this, if she is considered a minor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You mean this “airline”? They’ll be a while getting a response from customer service lol

https://www.superyachtfan.com/private-jet/owner/jeffrey-epstein/

Trafficked minor is one of those things to question. How is a 17 year old to be in the custody of Epstein and Maxwell with her passport without her parents knowledge and travelling from America to the UK? Did her parents travel also or did they give their consent for her to be with Epstein and Maxwell? Under what exact guise?

What were her parents believing she was up to while away from home with Epstein and Maxwell? As others have said there are far more serious accusations to throw at Epstein and Maxwell with really under age girls but this seems to be the main story when really with the age of consent it is not and it's just because Andrew is involved it's probably the accuser hoping to cash in on a settlement out of court.

Taking aim at the Queen again.

Seriously, just fxxxing strip them of their titles and leave them out in the wilderness. Without any connection to the royal family their deals will dry up and their "celebrity" friends will desert them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Be right back

Whatever about her, who clearly has no loyalties to anyone, I really don't know what he is doing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's what has puzzled me all along. The only 'value' they have really in terms of tv shows and what not is the royal connection. They went to great lengths to basically destroy that connection. Were they deluded enough to think that they were interesting enough in themselves, to cash in on being 'Harry and Meghan'?

And now - if that's true that they expected to get the royals on board with their media stuff - which I presume would never have happened, regardless of how good or bad their relationship is, then they are just downright stupid.

I do wonder if one day either or both of them will wake up to reality. 😁

I assume their 100 million dollar Netflix deal or whatever the actual amount is, was to be done on phased payments with key deliverables- otherwise Netflix have wasted an awful lot of money( which in fairness they have it to waste) - but what could H&M offer that’s worth $100m except a huge can of spilt beans on the workings of the Royal family?

i wonder are the rights to the book deal they’re working on owned by Netflix ? Now that might make sense :D

• Advertisement

They want the Queen to "take ownership" of the allegations. But yet they won't own the racism allegation and clearly state who said what exactly. Just insinuations and half-truths and implications. Toxic stuff. Once again, the hypocrisy of these two is breathtaking.

Were they deluded enough to think that they were interesting enough in themselves, to cash in on being 'Harry and Meghan'?

And now - if that's true that they expected to get the royals on board with their media stuff - which I presume would never have happened, regardless of how good or bad their relationship is, then they are just downright stupid.

That's the thing @HildaOgdenx that I've been trying to figure out. Possibly, Harry had enough interest in him to cash in even as a non-working royal - he's still a prince, will still be related to the RF, so has had a very unique upbringing, still moves in those discreet aristocrat circles and could name drop left right and centre with all the celebrities he is acquainted with. He would probably have been similar to say, Zara. But I doubt it would bring in the kind of money they wanted. The life of barbour wellies, battered land-rovers and crumbling draughty country piles and opening a community centre in Hull in the pissing rain isn't ever the one she wanted as far as I can see.

Meghan, well, she's not very charismatic or interesting on her own either. She is beautiful and it's possible that her acting career could have taken off (disclaimer, not watched her in anything so I've no idea how skilled she is as an actor, nor would I have the skill to determine that for myself) especially with a title. But at 40 she's heading towards the age where unfortunately female actors tend to be deemed too old to play the hot lead, or the mom, but still too young to take on older age roles. Typically lots of them might go into producing or directing when the scripts dry up but I don't know that she has the CV for that. In terms of Hollywood, she's still on a par with all the other B-list vying for roles in the big blockbusters, and I think she knows that. She's not going to damage her current image by risking being rejected for roles or being cast in movies that have the potential to bomb.

Regarding expecting the Royals to get on board with the media stuff, well, I've concluded that Harry is quite dim and thinks the sun shines out of her. And that as a typically self-centered person herself, because she would see the RF as a platform to launch herself into a lucrative elite career, she can't fathom why it wouldn't be a brilliant idea for others, even though it would be detrimental to them. Anyone who's got a selfish git in their own family knows what I'm talking about. They just can't get their heads around the fact that even if something they want is detrimental to you but advantageous to them, why you are even objecting in the first place, because you and your feelings/wishes are of no importance to them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Regarding expecting the Royals to get on board with the media stuff, well, I've concluded that Harry is quite dim and thinks the sun shines out of her. And that as a typically self-centered person herself, because she would see the RF as a platform to launch herself into a lucrative elite career, she can't fathom why it wouldn't be a brilliant idea for others, even though it would be detrimental to them. Anyone who's got a selfish git in their own family knows what I'm talking about. They just can't get their heads around the fact that even if something they want is detrimental to you but advantageous to them, why you are even objecting in the first place, because you and your feelings/wishes are of no importance to them.

Totally agree with everything you said @Neyite. Absolutely re selfish git, many families have at least one. I still do wonder HOW they thought it would work out, trampling all over his family, not even trying to maintain any semblance of a polite relationship much less a friendly one.

Likewise, never watched anything she was in, so I have no idea as regards her acting skills. What makes me think Harry is seriously seriously dim also is that he knows exactly what it is to be a royal and what can be said or done, and what can not. Leaving aside stuff he got himself into hot water over, when he was a bit younger, he knows the drill, and has to have observed how Kate behaves. I have read that she models herself on the queen. I am just mentioning her, because she was the one referred to, that they apparently wanted on board with them, in order to get the money rolling in. 🙄 The likelihood of her getting involved, in any of their tv stuff, even if they hadn't fractured the relationship to pieces, would be none, in my opinion.

They’re becoming objects of ridicule. “GB News presenter Simon McCoy has apologised after laughing out loud live on air at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's statement about the Afghanistan crisis.

The 59-year-old former BBC host chuckled when his co-presenter Kirsty Gallacher said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been left 'speechless' by the chaos.

Mr McCoy, who has become known for his unenthusiastic delivery of royal news, said that 'only they would break their silence to tell us they are speechless'.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If the Royals were any other family I'd be telling them to file an injunction for the harassment. Harry and Meghan need to seriously píss off and live their own lives and just lay off his family, as creepy and strange as they may be.

The likelihood of her getting involved, in any of their tv stuff, even if they hadn't fractured the relationship to pieces, would be none, in my opinion.

Catherine seems nice and can be relied on to not talk out of turn and remain diplomatically safe in her actions and words- exactly what the next Queen needs to be. If she wants to succeed then the Queen's example is a solid one to emulate I suppose.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused them to believe any of the RF would be wiling is the couple of instances where the Queen has proven to be a good sport - for example the Bond/Queen sketch filmed for the Olympics, or that time where Harry got her to do that mic-drop moment in response to the Obamas about the Invictus games.

But all that's proven is that the Queen (and indeed many of the RF) are happy to throw their weight behind a good cause, whether for an important charity or to showcase Britain on an international stage. (that's their job, after all) It may have been thought by Harry and Meghan that since they've done those sort of things, that they'd be willing to also promote private projects in order to cash in, without realising the difference between the two motivations and how that reflects on the family business.

When you see that when Kate or Meghan or the kids wear anything from a shop, it sells out in minutes. That kind of clout has to be very attractive to brands but it's also exactly why the RF have always very careful as to what gifts they can accept.

As an aside, can you picture the scene where a newly engaged Meghan is waist-deep in all sorts of luxury freebies and gifts from every kind of brand imaginable and delighted with herself only to be told by a Grey Suit that it all has to go back, that One does not do goodie bags. 😂

Their self importance truly knows no bounds.

What they have to say about Afghanistan is about as interesting to the world as what I would have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a reason why they a haven’t had the titles taken off them ? I mean Zara Phillips and her brother don’t have titles and I’m sure are as much a part of that family. Harry may have taken leave of his senses because there can’t be any other logical a reason for why this is happening. Also, why is your man Omid Scobie given air time ? From the limited things I’ve read, he offers nothing of note to anything.

Regarding titles, it's very rare that they'd get stripped from them. For example, Fergie is still a Duchess despite the divorce. They lose the HRH bit though if not working royals I think. Diana wasn't actually Princess Diana - She was technically Diana, Princess of Wales. Camilla is technically Camilla, Princess of Wales, but due to the circumstances she understandably uses another title.

Zara's lack of title was a decision by Princess Anne as she wanted a more normal life for her children, conversely, Princess Beatrice and Eugenie got their titles through the insistence of their father, Andrew. While technically they are princess (as is Kate by marriage) the usage of the title is key - it's typically reserved for the direct offspring of the monarch/heir to the throne so had Andrew not insisted, Harry & William would be prince, but the other cousins would wouldn't be - they'd be Earl/Lord/ Lady, eg. Zara would be Lady Zara. It's also why Archie and Lillibet aren't princes/princess, but the Cambridge lot are. Basically there's a load of titles to choose from if you are born or marry into the RF but it's typically agreed with the Queen which ones you would commonly use.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/g26783028/british-royal-family-full-titles-names/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well on the Andrew part all male line descendants of the monarch get a Prince or princess so it has nothing to do with Andrew insisting. They got them by right.

George V issued the rules in 1917 and these are the restrictions

• the legitimate daughters of a British sovereign,
    • the legitimate male line granddaughters of a British sovereign,
    • the wife of a British prince.

they fall under the second rule so that’s why.

Williams kids got them because only the eldest one George was entitled by right to have a Prince and princess so a change was made which is the monarchs right. Harry kids weren’t going to be a Prince or princess unless their great grandmother had dried before they were born which would have meant they would have been grandchildren of a reigning monarch.

princess Anne kids didn’t get one because they didn’t satisfy any of the rules to include Zara. Edward didn’t want his kids to have them so they don’t have them. I’ve a feeling this falsehood has come up before and it was already clarified.

Advertisement