Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

well, seen actual add might get updated once in a while just to bump it on the queue (as only few houses are premium/featured in the area I live in, no update means would end up on later pages ppl won't be curious about).

anyone has any idea how much are EAs paying for their adds on daft ? is it the standard fee, or do they have "business owner" fees (so cheaper, per volume)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

We have been contemplating of selling since the beginning of the year and now we have everything lined up i.e solicitor, planning exemption cert for extension and attic, title deed have been requested.... however we are hesitant to put it in the market as we needed to buy a house too. But every time we place a bid, Vendors will not even entertain us when they knew that we need to sell a property. Our neighbour is in the same position. So I think there are more potential movers who want to sell but cannot go ahead as there is no certainty if they can get a property to buy.

With regards the EA daft fee, two EAs I’ve been dealing with mentioned it’s c.300+ VAT for standard and it’s another 400 for premium ad... we are going for an EA that charges fixed fee of 2.5K. That includes marketing fee. Commission fees of 1.5% seems unreasonable these days when buyers are just using Daft and MyHome to look for properties. Buyers don’t go to EA prime location shops anymore to at brochures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I didn’t say anything about making them an enemy, merely that communication should be (for your own benefit) through your solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

You don’t have to sell your house until you’ve confirmed the purchase. Your solicitor will handle that for you. You don’t have to sign contracts to sell until you’ve locked in a contract to purchase. You’ll struggle to find a seller who’ll wait for you if you only start the process after having your bid accepted.

• Advertisement

You’re right. That’s what every EA was telling us. Do they ask for proof that you are sale agreed with your own house?

We used the Sale Agreed letter from our agent when submitting our final bids on properties to show where we were. We ended up selling and moving back with family and are now waiting to close on the purchase but the solicitor had said we could close both on the same day, and it was his job to make sure we didn't end up homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

i have found my EA open and honest but as I said I get your point. Its a deal - you want to keep everyone on side and communicating etc- thats my point. G'Day

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

If you own a house for 300k that is now worth 350k and want to buy a house that was 400 and is now 450k, I presume you don't profit at all? Random question I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Advertisement

Did your buyer pressured you to close before your purchase is finalised?... looks like it’s a smooth process for you. Hope it goes well up to the end 🙂. Best of luck!

They did a bit but it got messy. Our vendors originally wanted to close in June but then that pushed to September. Our buyers were working towards July because one of the couple was working in a job that was getting Covid assistance payments from the government. They had to wait until July to satisfy the bank and be allowed draw down the mortgage. They then went ahead and drew it down even though we hadn't confirmed the closing date. They were saying they' have to return the funds to the bank if we didn't close so we decided to set a date and close it. We were a bit worried that Covid restrictions could be increased again and then the employer would start claiming payments again, blocking our purchaser's mortgage. We said we'd get that deal closed. We're fortunate to have family to live with but we're a big family so it's a bit of a squeeze. Hoping the new house closes soon at this stage.

Just to say our solicitor said we didn't have to close at the time, and made sure we know that we hadn't confirmed our purchase yet and all that, but we decided to go ahead. We could have said no at the time and the buyer would have to choose to wait for us or start from scratch in a new place. They probably would have waited but we didn't want to lose the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Hopefully a bid is on the way

i have my first viewing next week house went back on market this week , hope I did the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Solicitor: "I've been chasing down the vendors solicitors all day. It's so frustrating to have to keep chasing and not hear anything back"

Me: "Mmm hmmm...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

The exact same thing happened to us this time last year. We got the keys two weeks before Christmas having found out at the end of August/beginning September that the probate was only being filed. Luckily there were no issues and it went straight through. If there are any queries on it, the application goes back to the end of the queue. Best of luck, this time last year there was a change in the way they were processed which created a backlog so hopefully that new process has sped up by now.

I hope our Solicitor will look after us like yours did. I’m dreading the stressful process. I wonder did you ensure that your buyer is a cash buyer? Coz otherwise you would have been on a longer chain if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

We are with EBS and hearts broken with questions and requests. Every time this happens the process is paused for 6 working days. Incredibly frustratingly slow process.

we are also selling our house and we had engaged with our solicitor before the house went up for sale to get title deeds. We also got certificate for extension in place and to solicitor before we went sale agreed. He's very on the ball thankfully which helps. The EA who is selling our house keeps us in the loop re purchasers. We waited until we were SA to put an offer on a house, which we did, and that EA requested email of our EA to ensure that we are SA. There were no other interested parties and vendors EA told us we wouldn't under ordinary circumstances be entertained as we re in a chain, but lucky for us no-one else put in an offer.

Fingers crossed it all works out. It is not for the faint hearted!

Can I ask the view of posters in this thread? Is 6 months too long from sale agreed to sale closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I've been waiting for 3 months so far, my solicitor has been gone very quiet on me

My only fear is that after a long wait the sale may still not go through at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

If it's straight forward then 3-4 months seems to be the norm assuming the buyer has everything in place and the seller is not part of a chain. If the seller is in a chain then it could delay it.

Are you the buyer or the seller? what are the reasons for the delays?

• Advertisement

We will be selling and at the same time buying. So basically a seller on a chain. So I suppose that will impact the saleability of our house if the buyer becomes aware that we will be on a chain. But as one poster above says, we can also close the sale of our house first if there is a good level of certainty on the house we are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

We went from sale agreed to keys in ~7 weeks. It can be done if you have motivated sellers, buyer and a good solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

any of the parties involved in a chain ?

I was on the other side waiting for 4 months for a chain between 2017-2018 (different situation then compared to now), and it was not a happy feeling. ... tbh, if I had known in advance, I would have pulled out / made an offer somewhere else (my interest was to move quicker out of my rental that was costing me money).

Just found out from the vendors that they finally signed contracts. Provisional closing of August 31st (pending the final guy in the chain being ready), their solicitors still haven't returned any of our solicitors' calls.

At least there's some semblance of a timeline that everyone will work towards now, even though we thought that's what the last closing date was.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Finally signed my contracts today and my solicitor said closing would be three weeks from the date she receives signed contracts from the vendor. She asked if I was in a position to close earlier than that and I said yes, as I have everything else in order and ready to go, so she said she'd make a note of that when sending my contract to the vendor's solicitor today. Glad to finally be getting some proper momentum, and hopefully I might have the keys in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

Have to say PTSB are a nightmare - waiting over a week since they said (again) that they were going to issue the loan offer and it turns out they still haven't actually signed off on the house, despite a positive valuers report a month ago. House is going for a very reasonable price and they aren't even providing the full 90% of the price due to the 3.5 times salary rule. Definitely would not recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Waiting on our Tsb loan offer, been 4 weeks since our last doc was submitted and about 6 since the loan offer was requested. We’re not under pressure yet as still waiting on a final date for moving.

My question is, looking back over all the posts here is how people are getting keys last minute, or even agreeing the moving date only a few days in advance of actually moving. So how does that work with arranging movers and planning things? Sounds mad to be so last minute.

Also wondering say we get our letter of offer, is the next stage then to request the funds closer to the agreed date, and then do they sit in the solicitors account for a few days if needed, or do they have to be transferred on closing date? No idea how the process works towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Wishful thinking here probably, but has anyone here seen the exchange of keys done *before* the closing day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

For me after letter of offer and all surveys were complete I worked with the broker to get insurance sorted.

At the same time I signed the contracts with my solicitor and they were sent to the vendor with the remaining 10% of the purchase price. When the vendor signed the contracts we agreed a closing date and they returned the signed contracts to my solicitor who then requested the funds.

Advertisement