Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Taliban and their new friends the Chinese held talks to cement there allegiances , China will invest in infrastructure road and railways (part of the new silk road?) And the Taliban help oppress the Uyghurs - (deportations from China to Afghanistan as labour ???) The Chinese support and help the Taliban government on the worlds stage , russians are meeting the Taliban Tuesday talking about finding powerful friends.

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the eastern bloc, no guarantee the wall would ever have come down had it not been for the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

This will blown over on 2 weeks like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Building on what the US had already rebuilt / repaired...and help oppress the Uyghurs. So much for muslim brotherhood. Marriage's made in haste often end in quickie divorces..... We live in interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A Dutch c17 plane left there today with a grand total of 40 people on board ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read on news websites the taliban will need to let others in to the new government , respect minoritys, otherwise they risk encouraging a resistance movement to appear its too early to say is this a charge offensive to gain credibility with China India and other governments

The taliban now have acess to large amounts of modern weapons not just ak47 rifles also they seem to have acess to government computer records which they could use to track down to those who worked with the US army and theres 1000s of people left who America intends to allow to go to America

Those weapons could be sold to country like Iran or to enemy's of Israel it seems the Americans learned nothing from the fall of saigon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Over five times as many as that German airplane from two nights ago.

In fairness, it went back last night and picked up about 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well I hope everyone is looking forward to the new waves of needy new neighbours who will now be importer en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

You can't.blame.the Afghani people for remaining very sceptical about any promises from the Taliban, I would guess any "deal" made with uncle Sam will soon erode quick smart, with Sharia law very quickly taking root again.

Unfortunately that seems to be the inevitable outcome and outlook for the country, the British couldn't tame it, the Russians couldn't either, nor could the Yankees.

I don't have a solution unfortunately, but neither do many of the world's super powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

True, it might be sold on the cheap. Interestingly a convoy of Afghan army vehicles fled into Iran, so they Iranians will be able to get a good look over some of the equipment. Imagine we might see some domestic vehicles inspired by them in the Iranian inventory soon enough.

• Advertisement

interesting take on the taliban oppressing the Uighers with, er, deportations. What’s that based on - pure fantasy? You realise they are both Muslims, right?

of course the countries close to Afghanistan are going to have talks with the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's all good sneering at Europeans or Germans (as you love to do) but who provides security for them to get anybody onto planes they send over + avoid them starring in an Islamist propaganda video?

I assume it is the US now if Afghan government/army are no more (Is that correct?).

I imagine they are very busy getting all their own people and Afghans working for them who may be in danger out (America First naturally) not to mention defending the airport itself.

I expect the USs European "clients" (I think Trump's presidency and Coronavirus has exposed the truth that they are not really "allies" any longer) may have to wait their turn unless they can get some soldiers over there to provide their own security.

edit: Some quotes in this https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0818/1241411-afghanistan-taliban/

would seem to agree with what I was thinking about why such planes might leave with hardly anyone on board.

Dutch Foreign Minister Sigrid Kaag said an evacuation bid yesterday was unsuccessful as chaos outside Kabul airport made it impossible to get eligible people on a plane...A military plane operated by the Dutch together with other northern European countries left Kabul without any people destined for the Netherlands on board last night, Ms Kaag said.

"It's awful. Many were there at the gates of the airport with their families," the minister told Dutch news agency ANP.

US armed forces securing the airport did not allow any Afghans to enter the gates even if they had the right credentials, and the plane was only on the ground in Kabul for about half an hour, Ms Kaag said.

"I hope the situation will improve on Wednesday. We are trying to get a grip on the situation and to make sure that we get everyone we want to evacuate out."

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Should be great. Even though there is no actual war in Afghanistan. It was a bloodless coup.

The only refugees should be the translators and people who worked for the US/UK whose lives are in imminent danger. The rest, sorry but you can't include the entire population in the list of possible refugees/asylum seekers. Otherwise theoretically you have 30 odd million people looking for asylum, and how do you pick and choose out of that lot, when taking them all is logistically impossible. There needs to be strict criteria, vetting and ID of the new arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

There have been a few articles in the Guardian and on CNN in recent months about the silence from Muslim majority countries about what's going on with the Uyghurs. I think I read something about deportations of activists to China also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Irish government have contributed to the war effort, letting 100s of military flights a year stop here to refuel. Carrying weapons, soldiers and not to mention the CIA's rendition program of suspected terrorists.

Kind of feel we have a duty to take in asylum seekers from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Never happens though, because apparently it’s everyone’s responsibility to fix the problem.

How many though? A figure needs to be put on it. We've allowed hundreds of thousands in here over the last two decades under our asylum/refugee system.

The main responsibility here lies with the UK and US. We are probably going to have an announcement over the next few weeks of a massive number being brought into Ireland and it will invariably be way bigger than the UK's commitment per head of population. We always seem to do this in order to prove some point.

Look at the first Syrian resettlement, over twice the size of the UKs. The latest scheme announced last year, once again nearly double the size of the UKs announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

150 I heard on the news this morning but at the moment it doesn’t look like there’s going to be loads to take. The Syrian resettlement here has been successful so I’m now sure it’s a good example for the point you’re trying to make. Either was the USA will be taking zero refugees as they never have, at least from Syria and Afghanistan anyway.

Muslims helping to oppress other Muslims which has been happening since the creation of Islam 1400+ years ago.

Shock horror the Taliban has butchered more Muslims than any other religious groups

I'd like us to take more than 150 but that's just my personal opinion, I understand some people don't with the current way the whole asylum and refugee system is abused and not implemented correctly.

I'm not against the Syrian program but I do have a problem with the numbers, I think they are too high and also we should be giving protection while it's needed not for life.

I don't believe that 150 number, that was a knee jerk announcement and will IMO be massively expanded beyond anything the US or the UK are doing per head of population. But we will see over the next few months.

Also, I don't believe the US are taking zero as far as I know they are taking 30,000. I'm not sure of the makeup of that number though.

• Advertisement

The Muslim countries didn’t just not condemn China. Many of them wrote a letter condoning China.

Yes, but not with any democratic approval. So maybe the politicians can host refugees.

everybody acts like that’s an insane argument but refugees have stayed in private houses before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

There are 6m people in Kabul alone. The Taliban have 100,000 fighters. If their entire force attacked Kabul they'd equal 1.666666% of the population. My town has 10,000 people in it. It would be the equivalent of 167 men attacking us. I don't think they'd stand much of a chance if the people (who would know every nook and cranny of their own town) stood up to be counted in any town or village. There would be casualties of course, but I'd take my chances to try to keep the animals away from my mother, sisters, cousins, aunts, nieces. I'm sure plenty of others would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't see why it would be 'massively expanded'? How many will be airlifted out in total between now and August 31? I'd be surprised if it's over 100K. Distrribute them proprtionately round willing countries and I don't see how Ireland ends up with anything beyond 1,000.

Anyone suggesting we take upwards of 1000+ refugees I have heard we should take up to 10,000 ,now where would you be planning on housing 1000+ immediately ,

We don't have the ability to pull 1000 + homes out of nowhere ,add how do we vet those who you want to Come here ,

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

the citizens have to fight. it seems they are all well armed as shown by the weapons which were abandoned at the airport the other day. i don't understand why all these people are crushed up against the gates of the airport expecting death at any minute, yet are just willing to let it happen without a fight. if all hope is gone as they believe it is, then why not go down fighting? the women also need to take up arms. if the population turned on the taliban, they'd easily win. there's no other massive force of taliban fighters to back up those already on the streets. what do the people of kabul have to lose?

A cornerstone of any program we run should be based on what Angela Merkel said back in 2015, that these people are expected to go home when the conditions are right. But to be honest most people know she was playing word games when she said that and the overwhelming majority will never return home.

I would like to see a report on numbers returned to their various countries over the last two decades but I don't think those numbers are compiled let alone published.

Since 2000 we have taken hundreds of thousands of asylum seekers and refugees. How many have ever been returned??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Because the proportion of the population genuinely in fear of their lives is, I'd imagine, pretty small. We're not talking about the Khmer Rouge here...

Advertisement