Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ball wobbled in jaws, thought she'd get that through experience alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Bit unlucky reanne but she's had her chances. Great clearance from mark, been an entertaining good quality match.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Put her in her place in the end , but she had it to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was a bit weird watching that. Could almost feel the hatred through the screen lol. She had it in her hands, she will be sickened but a great break by Mark in the 5th frame tbf

Hendry said it was as tense a match as he'd ever seen, or since Higgins-Taylor anyway. He's probably right. Mark leaving that red along the cushion turned out to be a psychological masterstroke, though I did think she'd pot it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I see Ken won his first match at the British open 3-0. Jimmy White beat Aaron Hill 3-0, that is disappointing for Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Delighted Allen won after seeing that snub from Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was supporting Evans as the underdog, but refusing the fist bump was not a classy move. If you do that then you have to back it up by winning and she failed to do that. They both had lots of chances and she should have won 3-1. Good comeback after missing plenty in frame 4 and excellent finish from Mark to win

Hendry started off quite well tonight but getting increasingly ragged the longer the match wears on. Should have closed it out already, wakelin has been really poor.

He's getting some nice shots but you're never sure he's going to get anything. Also he's leaving himself very difficult shots because his cue ball control is all over the place.

He might get through this match but would have no hope against a decent player.

• Advertisement

Got it done in the end but only after wakelin butchered 2 proper chances. Same as Reanne last night for me, they'll both win a few matches playing like that, but without troubling the top guys who don't generally mess up when they're handed 2 or 3 plum chances to win most frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Really happy to see Hendry to win tonight. He wasn't great overall but maybe the win will give him some extra confidence.

Jack losowski losing to Barry Pinches must have been the biggest shock of the day. Some other decent upsets like K Wilson losing to Hugill was a big one too.

Draw for R2 made. Ken v Joe O'Connor and Fergal, if he beats Gary Wilson tomorrow, would get a crack at Hendry. Would be interesting match that, 10 years from when they last met in the shootout when Fergal held sway.

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh made the first ever 155 break on camera. It was in practice and captured on cctv, so not in competition play.

155 break is the highest possible with a free ball and a black followed by the usual 147 break.

Fair play to him. Hes very fast and a good player to watch even if he's a inconsistent. He could probably benefit from spending longer on shots.

https://snookerfreaks.com/thai-snooker-star-makes-history-with-first-ever-155-break-caught-on-camera/

Fergal gone. Judge gone last night. Hill gone in the first round on Monday, has he even won a match since beating O'Sullivan?

A grim beginning to what looks like another bleak season for the Irish.

Aaron actually won his next match after Ronnie, against Matt Stevens, as well as a few others, but i think he faces a struggle alright to get inside top 64 and retain his card. Ken and Fergal both have the experience to draw on that Aaron doesn't have. Needs to get a little run of results somewhere to boost confidence and belief, a good spell practising in Sheffield wouldn't be a bad idea. Still a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Said it before, even though it was a great result beating Ronnie in a way it was the worst possible thing that could happen. No question young Aaron has the talent but as always it’s a huge jump from the amateur circuit to mixing it with the pros.

Granted he was probably the best junior in Europe when he got his two year card but (and I’m open to correction here) he really did nothing on the Senior Circuit in Ireland.

For me he should be practicing with better players than what he’s used to. Fergal travels up to Antrim with Shaun Murphy and Mick Judge to practice with Mark Allen, why isn’t he practicing with these guys.

Look at Ken, he’s more or less living back in the UK full time now and playing in Dings Academy in Sheffield against the Chinese lads and there’s no doubt he’s playing some great snooker because of that.

I honestly though Hill would beat White so to see him lose 3-0 was surprising.

As you mentioned it’s early days but unless he starts winning matches his brief two year stint as a pro could be coming to an end.

I do know Aaron spent a bit of time over in Sheffield earlier this year himself, but not sure if that's in his plans this season. Money could be an issue, though i believe he's doing ok sponsorship wise. It would definitely help, for sure. Young wexford kid Adam Halnon been working over in ding academy with Nigel Bond the past while so maybe a name to watch out for over next year or two.

Been said before, a lot of good players get on tour and don't make it first time - Barry Hawkins, Neil Robertson, Martin Gould, to name just 3. I think robbo might have failed twice before he finally nailed it. Obviously, I'd prefer that not to happen with Aaron so I think he's just going to have to dig deep and start developing the conviction that he belongs there. I agree on the ronnie thing, the media exposure over the following weeks probably wasn't the best thing for him at that stage. What he needs is a run to the last 32 or 16, 2 or 3 solid wins against decent mid ranked pros he has the beating of. Win two matches every ranking event, you secure your card. Easier said than done, of course, and you can do with a bit of luck from the draw. I'm just hopeful for him at this stage really, he's so much better than he's showing but it's just a grimly tough school!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Think Mark Williams rounded out his comments about the two worst matches he'd ever seen with that Dominic Dale match.

Could be a tip to win the whole thing, he can certainly approach every match from here on as an undeserved bonus.

• Advertisement

Had to go out after first frame and assumed Allen would win it but surprised to see Vafaei nicked it 3-2. Good win for Hossein as Mark been playing decent stuff last couple of weeks. Been waiting patiently for a while for Hossein to make the breakthrough, maybe this will be the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

Think Ken and Neal took Gary Wilson's comments out of context there myself. I think he was saying the standard from both players during the match was an embarrassment, not that Hendry is an embarrassment.

Still, he could have chosen his words more carefully tbf.

Not unusual for Wilson. He’s often fairly obnoxious and negative with his comments. Comes across as a bit of a whinger in my opinion.

Winner of Ken v Joe O'Connor will face Anthony Hamilton in R3. Decent chance for Ken to make some progress in this tourney, has looked in reasonable nick early doors.

But unfortunately ITV doing a BBC and showing highlights, analysis and interviews when there’s live snooker on a TV table. Very mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Eurosport are showing Tables 1 and 2 matches on the internet for subscribers in Ireland. That might be of help to some people. Eurosport are showing the British Open on Eurosport 1 in some countries but not in Ireland, even though ITV4 is not officially available in Ireland.

Quick enough death in the end. Missed a couple of bad ones and O'Connor clinical enough about punishing him. End of Irish interest for this week anyway. Not counting our northern friends, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Williams has stopped doing his unconventional break off. His last three break offs were normal.

Slessors had three good chances to win this opening frame already. Common refrain against Judd, how many chances do they imagine they're going to get?

• Advertisement

What a miss by Slessor on the blue.

Advertisement