Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtime battles

Options
  • 15-07-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Sorry for the long post.

I've been on before about my bedroom sharing disaster but unfortunately my daughter continues to be a nightmare to put to bed. She's 3 going on 4. She's in creche full time. We get home between 5 30 and 6. Bedtime was 7 30, then 8 to coincide with older brother but that failed so we reversed her back to 7.30. Her brother is 6 and goes about 8/ 8.15.

I'd thought she was overtired and started putting her down earlier. Doesn't seem 2 matter what time it is.

We have a steady routine for both children and generally speaking, she rolls along nicely until the story ends and it's time to get to sleep and then all hell breaks loose. Sadly.

I'm now at my wits end.

She just acts up, messes, kicks off the duvet, shouts, sings, you name it. I've done the whole ignoring it all but that doesn't work either. I've done the- I'm leaving for a few minutes etc, but 9/10 that's the cue for her to up the anti and come out of the room.

She's incredibly stubborn. I can't get over where this phase came from, she was relatively easy up to a few months ago. I even decided to try to give her more attention at bedtime, in case this was it but that made no difference either. The minute we get to- now I need you to lie down and go to sleep - it goes to hell as said. I find my self getting worked up then and so stressed out. I have her brother to put to bed and when she's going nuts it impacts on his bedtime special time and upsets him. He's great at bedtime. Sometimes I wonder how they're so different.

Also, the star chart didn't work either. It can work well with the other lad.

Also, with the getting out of bed, I followed the advice to ignore and just walk her back to bed each time but I still think she's getting the attention anyway so that didn't work either.

Also, I used the whole attention, power bucket theory and would give her choices about pjs first or teeth first etc. And I thought, plenty of attention before bed but I do have another child fretting to be put to bed as per his routine so I have a limit to how much bedtime special treatment she gets.

I could be back in the bedtime battles til after 9. Its draining. My son takes 10-15mins to put to bed and then he'll read his book for a little while. The other lady is unreal.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Comments

"Also, with the getting out of bed, I followed the advice to ignore and just walk her back to bed each time but I still think she's getting the attention anyway so that didn't work either."

Out of curiosity do you do any talking at all when trying this approach? If so what do you say or not say generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

No, just walk her down and help her back into the bed.

Good yes. That is very difficult to do. Most parents trying that method find themselves responding. And the child will usually try every trick in the book to get some kind of response. Suddenly they need water. They need to know what time it is. They want to know what is happening the next day. Any question they can think of to get responses out of you. Actually using that method correctly - to simply walk them back to bed saying nothing - is harder than one would think. Especially when tired. And sometimes you respond without even realising you have. So a lot of the time that method fails - is because people are not doing it right.

When I have seen that method used - the first night or few nights are a war of attrition. I have seen it used in real life. Also multiple times on the Jo Frost TV show. And almost invariably the first night goes on for hours. The "trick" is to win on those first nights. So a lot of the times that method fails is also down to the parent simply giving in too soon. The first night can go on till midnight. But usually the second night not even close to that. And after 3 or 4 nights the method finally sees success and the child learns this behaviour is not going to control the situation any more.

Of course other times it fails because it simply will not work on that child. Beware people who tell you a given method will definitely work and if it is not working it is because you must be doing it wrong. Some methods simply do not fit some children. Without actually being there and observing myself I can not tell you which it is.

Are you a single parent doing this alone by the way? I am not hearing any mention of a partner covering one or either child in your post above. You also say it going on until after 9. But you do not say what eventually does work - how does it usually end and play out when she finally does sleep?

As for other advice to give you and suggestions. Well I am not sure without observing myself again. And I am not sure if I would suggest things you have tried already but I would throw two things out from my own experiences:

1) As parents we naturally think the older child should go to bed at the same time or later. It just seems right. So that is how most of us aim to do it. So I would wonder if you have considered not doing that? Some parents simply would not even have that option occur to them. If the older child is so easy to put down however you could try and take some of the pressure off yourself by putting that child down first. Leave the other one doing something else as an activity or even sitting in the bath.

2) Have you tried simply staying with her while she falls asleep? I know some people argue this is a bad thing to do but I have not once heard a coherent reason or argument why. In fact I had to do this with my own son when he was 4 and 5 but when he turned 6 he was in a better place to be read to and left. And now he goes down a dream. You would - like the way of attrition above - have to be draconian in your silence and not responding and so on. Read your own book or whatever gets your through in that time. But if the child needs you to be there to fall asleep then why not? Of course you do not want that situation forever - but doing it during the less rational year or years of a child's younger life causes no harm I can see.

Hi TaxAHCruel. I'm just noticing that I never acknowledged your v kind response. Thank you for taking the time. I reread it there. We're still struggling. Yes there is my husband but he works shift so usually is only there one week in three. He's generally more successful but still can struggle if she's particularly bad. It's not the getting out of the bed anymore as such but the messing in the bed. V fidgety and hyper. I'm guessing it's all for attention but it's tiresome. I've tried the warnings and then the consequences. I've tried the bribery, I mean, incentives. I've done cross, I've done patient, I've done the ignoring and reading my phone while she bounces around the bed. I've varied bedtime from earlier, thinking she might be overtired, to later but then the whole scenario gets later whicj wrecks my head. Tonight she decided to spit on5her hands and pretend to rub cream on her legs. She needs cream every night for ezcema. I just lay there and ignored it altho it was very hard.

I've considered trying to wind everything down earlier before bedtime e.g. no TV after 6.30. We eve. Spent a couple of nights just colouring before bed. She was the same. She can be great all evening with the bedtime routine but then ham it all up once it's time for sleep. I have done the lying down with her. My husband does that but I invariably fall asleep and lose too much time out of my precious limited down time and I really hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Have you tried silly time before bed? So after dinner, 20 mins or so of really silly fun with you. Disco dancing, chasing her around the house, tickles, singing in silly voices, whatever really. It let's them burn off all their energy, get some fun time with mum or dad, encourages bonding, and fills their cup.

After silly time, you could do some wind-down time with TV or stories downstairs, and then try bedtime.

It sounds like you've tried almost everything so just throwing a suggestion out there. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

is your little one in a bedroom alone? Maybe she is nervous in the dark and thats why she wants to keep you there as long as possible. Is there a bedside lamp or plug-in light? Is the bedroom door half open?

Shares with her brother at the moment. Yes to light and door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Our just turned three year old daughter is EXACTLY the same as you describe in your OP. Up until about 5 months ago when she transitioned to a bed (she was in a cot til then and we had her in a grow bag but she would either burst out of the grow bag and climb out of the cot or climb out of the cot while still in the grow bag so transitioned for safety reasons).

We had our routine - wash teeth, read stories, turn lights off, sing songs and they would both fall asleep themselves.

These days we have no choice but to sit on her bed until she falls asleep as otherwise, she will not stay in bed. When she starts acting the bollox - kicking off blankets, singing etc we just ignore her and eventually she will lie down, ask for the blanket to be put on her and will fall asleep. She shares a room with her brother and disrupts him as he is great for falling asleep himself.

We are hoping as she gets older she will just get a bit of sense. She is getting more independent now such as sometimes not wanting us around when she is using the toilet so hopefully that will translate into bed time.

So Im afraid other than trying to ignore them when acting out and only providing short answers to questions, Ive no advice to give. I feel your pain!!!

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm a firm believer in doing whatever it takes to get a proper night's sleep for everyone.

I would put her in your bed to fall asleep. Go through the night time routine with her. Settle her down and tell her you're putting her brother to bed now and you'll be back to her in a while.

Let her sing and bounce and whatever else she needs to do, in your bed. This gives your son a chance to fall asleep and she might then nod off in your bed. Carry her in to her own bed when she's asleep. Or leave her there and you go to hers.

I had 3 children very close in age and musical beds was a regular occurrence! Some mornings I'd have to think for a minute who was where, including myself.

It was a phase that passed and now everyone is very happy to sleep in their own beds! They're aged 13-16 😉 She's only a baby in reality.

Work with her at the moment. The phase will pass.

She has literally just fallen asleep. It's 9.39 pm and I'm fit for none other than my own bed. Mores the pity, again no down time for me. From her bed to mine and we start over again tomorrow. I really hope it passes soon as for a phase, it feels like an eternity!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

"these are long days, but short years"

And it's so very true.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

You mentioned that you thought your daughter might be overtired but is it possible that she's not tired enough?

Is she getting enough exercise in the creche during the day time? Some creches are more sedentary than others and sometimes even just a staff member change can affect things.

Advertisement