Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

No the vast majority of Afghans do not support the Taliban,,,,if they did, they would have been back in power 10-15 years ago by popular demand. And when they left after sept 11th, lots of them didn't make it. The road to Kandahar was was littered with burned out and crashed Taliban vehicles, and plenty of dead Talibs as the Afghan population took revenge for the misery inflicted on them during their reign..and now they are back, and people are afraid, very afraid, and they are right. This takeover happened with lightening speed, but if it had been slowed down a bit, thousand and thousands more Afghans would have escaped. And in fact many thousands did get out, the ones who could see what was coming. Now, you will have public displays of seemingly smiling happy Afghans, delighted to see their "old Friends " back. Sure, their Nrs have increased, when it became clear that they faced no opposition, thats been normal behaviour since time began,people will side with the winners. Road to Damascus conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Human and budgetary costs of the Afghan war - $2.261 Trillion* (*Rounded to nearest billion)

Assume 7,300 days (20 years) that ~$296 Million per day.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Cha-ching

Lot of people have made a lot of money from this adventure

The entire population lived in fear of them, including the newly minted Taliban, prior to their conversion, the ones picked up on the road to Kabul. And no, I don't think that they will kill the entire population, just enough to keep them in line. And of course they have the barbaric Sharia Law practices, amputation, flogging ,stoning, beheading etc, ( although, I think that beheading was more isis style) which for sure makes a big impression on any Afghans who might be having doubts about who was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

and thats only the US cost. I assume they account for ~70% of total. so add on another ~126m per day.

apparently UK officials went to moscow before this looking for advice, the report goes the russians just laughed at the folly.

One person who was at the meeting recalled: "When the Russians stopped laughing they told us: 'You will make the same bad choice we did, you will go in, you will lose, many of you will die and then you'll be forced to retreat, which will be good for us. How can we help?'"

https://news.sky.com/story/events-in-afghanistan-could-hardly-have-played-out-in-a-better-way-for-russia-12383629

• Advertisement

Yes, but without the support of their backers, what would have happened them? Would they would have been gone by now.? Or if Sept 11th had never happened, would a rebellion have taken place, and outed them? Because there were facing growing resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Voting and tacit support are different things. Into the bargain there was an incredibly low turnout rate for 2019 and 2018. Less than 2 million out of 9 million registered voters in a country of 38 million. In the election Abdullah accused Ghani of rigging it. Whether there's any truth to that is lost forever.

In any case, what I DO know is that a few thousand men don't take over a large country like Afghanistan unless there is support of some kind. That just does not happen. There were even guys taking selfies with Taliban fighters as they rolled into town.

When considering the US spend (in Afghanistan, but also globally and in comparison to others), I think it has to factored in how bloated and inefficient that spend is. The Pentagon does stupid stuff like paying $6000 for a length of 2 be 1 and half a million for a set of drill bits. China, Russia and others throw money at their military too obviously, but the spend is more efficient and therefore lower.

Were they though?

I know we disagree here, but the late 90's was the only period in Afghan history of the last 40 years where they weren't either at all out war or under foreign occupation. I can't see them being "ousted" domestically at that time.

If that was the case that the Afghans hated the Taliban to a man, then they would have been toast within the last 20 years. I cannot imagine a scenario whereby you have a group like that hiding out unless there's support for them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,457 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

US Govt deleting what it can from the internet that may endanger our allies in Afghanistan

The leaders of the Taliban fought with the Mujahideen to get rid of the Russians in the 80's. I'd say the chances of Russian/Taliban joint patrols are extremely slim indeed.

Well of course, they never subdued the NA, but on the rest of the population, they kept a murderous grip ( literally ) and first thng they did afer "restoring the peace" was a countrywide drive collecting weapons ( has started already here and now) So an unarmed population is basically helpless. But like I said earlier, if they had that kind of support, they would not have spent 20 years in the wilderness, They would have been back in power a long time ago. Yes there was support for them, but not in Afghanistan. Pakistan being the main suspect, but also others...who had it in for the US, ? and did not want a strong independent Afghanistan?

The flipside to what you say is that there's no way that they could have held out and bided their time for 20 years if the nation feared and hated the Taliban as much as you perceive. As far as I see it they were able to keep going because they had support from rural areas where most of the population was. The US and its puppet govt. basically concentrated on urban areas and now it seems that the Afghan govt. officials were more concentrated on their pockets instead of anything else.

Anyway, we'll see in the coming months/years how this will go down. But I cannot imagine that the Taliban will that stupid as to go back completely to their old ways and attract the the ire of the international community again in such a way as they did 20 years ago. They might be more careful who they choose to ally with this time at least. But this all remains to be seen after the dust settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If they want to keep power they will have to be on their best behaviour

half the population was under 18 which means all they should have known was US occupation and culture. This is something we think it all powerful, but clearly not.

It's not all powerful but it can erode traditional ways of thinking in a myriad of ways over a number of years. If you've only one life the yearning to live it free or at least for your children to be free can be a huge motivating factor especially now when it's easier to see what is possible in the rest of the world. If Afghanistan can't remain closed off to the rest of the world, things will change eventually. Their nearest neighbours Iran, Turkmenistan etc. show that other outcomes are possible.

Once women can get educated that can have a profound affect on society, perhaps that's one of the reasons the Taliban are so adamant women shouldn't be allowed education beyond childhood years.

This will play out over decades. Even now fertility rates in Afghanistan have gone from 7.5 in 1999 to 4.1 in 2021. While that's still a huge number it's also a massive drop in such a short space of time. Perhaps the Taliban will turn women back into baby making machines and nothing else but we will see.

They depends very much on where they lived.

It's difficult for us over here to understand, but outside of the cities, Kabul, Kandahar, Herat, etc, the country is very very backward and there was a huge rural/urban divide too in terms of education and exposure to the world. Most of those rural 18 year olds wouldn't be even able to point at their own country on a map, never mind America. Plus, the only large city is Kabul. The rest all have populations of around half a million and pale in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

all i can say about this is for those in the left wing extremist media "simping" for Joe Biden since even before he won the election, the shitshow of a pull out from Afghanistan is all on those lot. For example, even here in ireland Pat Kenny spent an inordinate amount of time giving out about trump(i guess, you to turn him on, pat just waffeled orange man bad, turn him off. that was my last 4 years of morning radio on newstalk). has he spent the same time calling out Biden's now 2 humaitarian crises? his weirdo pervert criminal son?

These "journalists" worldwide but particularly in the USA itself have emboldened Biden to make such a catastrophic mess of their exit from Afghanistan. He hasn't got even handed questioning, simply got an easy ride from all except Fox and i bet he felt he could do what he liked without any bad press. it won't last long though, it won't be long before the US government turns their military attention to their own citizens

who cares really though? we, in the west, are ok with the treastment of women in the middle east, the treatment of minorities in china etc. we send them our money and they send us their cheap oil and knock off products.

hell, we didn't even force the catholic church to reform after all their recent scandals!

it's all about the money, power and control, morals and whats right be damned

^Journalists don't speak truth to power enough these days. That's very true. They propagandize. And not just on the left, BTW. The best a bigot can do is speak half-truths to power.

In the case of Irish journalists, it seems that most of them just enjoy the reflected importance of talking about U.S. politics. The 'radical' positioning of the likes of Kenny and Tubridy, exemplified in their part in broadcasting hysterial anti-Trump coverage, is so contrived, second-hand, and lazy. And when in the company of a politician, especially of the Dem variety, I get the impression that they are just happy to be there, sharing space with an 'important' person, truth to power be dammed. It turns out that access to power, even if all it results in is non-confrontational fluff, is good enough for them, as journalists and good enough for their audience, as eejits. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dr Cockhound

British Embassy in Kabul is arranging evacuation for Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dr Cockhound

Apologies but I'm getting an error when I try to post the link.

I've cropped the screenshot and hopefully it's a little clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great, so we owe the Brits because we can't be bothered.

Simon has to say thank you next he meets Dominic ahead of any chats on small matters like Brexit for example.

This country really needs to get it's act in gear.

We in the west don’t really have to invade everywhere to fix them, in practice that’s generally the Americans. There’s a bit of a damned if you do and damned if you don’t logic here. Invade Afghanistan and its imperialism, don’t invade and it’s hypocrisy.

Afghanistan wasn’t invaded because of its treatment of women anyway, it was invaded for harbouring al queda post 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

alot of this has been twisted by Western media. As soon as the Taliban recaptured Afghanistan and implement Sharia law, the crime and unemployment rate will return to pre-invasion levels: ZERO.

And what did the American invasion of Afghanistan actually achieve? Female illiteracy remains high, drug dealing is rampant, thieves and cut-throats on every corner. Oh, but girls can now wear mini-skirts and open make-up parlours? What progress has been made?

Womens rights are important and no one should be beaten, raped or whipped as a basic human right. However, this country is centuries behind the western world. They do not want to live like us and it’s rather simple

If anybody doubts the Americanisation of Irish media, how much Afghanistan did you get last year? How much Yemen this year? Compare to that guy who died in the US when a cop sat on his neck

was stuck in a car having to listen to the last word yesterday - the debate on Afghan was how many we’d take. And that wasn’t a debate it was the interviewer saying we should take more, and the representative from the immigration council agreeing. Nothing about the debacle in Afghanistan, per say. No reports from there. No mention of the recent panic.

I imagine if Trump were in power pursuing the same policy (which he would have), the news would be handled differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They'll be left alone to run their affairs as they like so long as they don't harbour terrorists who attack the west.

Biden was correct when he said it was never about nation building. That was never the primary purpose of being there. Positive steps like building schools and opening education to girls was always a side effect that might help longer term.

Advertisement