Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I wouldn't call it a monopoly - although they certainly have built up a lot of goodwill as they always put on a great event - I would be far less willing to spend my money on the likes of a Rock n Roll Dublin Marathon, for instance (which at one point was a potential threat).

Athletics Ireland can stage the national marathon at any race, it doesn't have to be Dublin. Or they organise a national marathon themselves.

Your other two points are irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You do know there be no such thing as herd immunity. We never had a herd immunity with any respiratory virus.

The main issue for Oct marathon was the insurance cost. Its impossible to get cover for an event that big right now because of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

I heard they are in serious enough debt so I'm sure they wanted it to proceed if they thought it was at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If you are so confident you could offer them insurance to cover the cost if it doesn't go ahead and charge them a fee. Money for nothing going by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think it's fairly obvious that DCM were more scared of the Government and NPHET than the virus itself.

I don't blame them for that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Looking like bigger fools with each passing day.

Within a month of this call to cancel we know that 40000 will attend the all ireland finals, on track as everyone expected since early summer.

Vaccine demand and delivery through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Both the Quad Marathon in Donegal for next week and Kilkenny Medieval Marathon in September have been cancelled in the last few days. These events are far smaller then Dublin or 40000 in Croker. Again this shows the lack of joined up thinking in regard to how many can attuned/participate events and shows that decisions are been made based on lobbying power of organisations which athletics has nil.

Yes, AI and DCM organisers are a poor reflection on the sport as a whole.

It was up to the biggest player in terms of participation and audience exposure in the country to lobby with the sporting organisations backing but they rolled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is there any chance you could discuss this directly with the organisers instead of the neverending moaning you do here ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But if things change between now and the All Ireland then it's not going to result in the GAA going bust due to the costs they would incur between now and then. Even if there was that risk and the Government had imposed new restrictions, the government wouldn't allow the GAA to go under.

The same can't be said of the DCM organisers, who have far more costs, are not going to be considered as important to save by government. Perfectly responsible for DCM to cancel as insurance against restrictions isn't possible and government won't save them.

London Marathon can afford to take the risk, but they would also likely be considered important enough if needed to be bailed out by government for some reason. I'd be confident that the situation would allow DCM at the time, but they can't risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Jeez lads, it’s one race. DCM only had the information available to them at the time of the decision, and most of us here figured it would be cancelled for sure.

If racing a marathon is this important, register for one of the ones that’s running.

since the DCM decision I signed up for the Antrim Coast Half and then Belfast FM on Oct 3. I live hours away from both.

More fool you for singing up to the Belfast marathon, they couldn't manage the numbers they had in previous years, never mind a race with health related measures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What health related matters?

The only thing that is likely to be done differently for autumn marathons when they come around is that we are asked to wear masks whilst travelling to the start, longer queues for the portaloos at the start as everyone stands a meter apart, and the people handing out bottles of water are wearing masks. The biggest disruption is likely to be caused if they don't hand out bottle but leave them on the tables and you end up with entire tables of water getting knocked over by people unable to pick bottles up whilst running.

The risks to mass marathon events is not from any additional heath issues, its down to government restrictions potentially being brought back in or any associated complications to the holding of the event caused by public transport capacity reductions.

There is no additional health risk from running a marathon in 2021 compared to 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

you’ll be well trained for DCM in 15 months time.

Belfast have a new flatter route which worked v well in 2019, and a 5,500 cap this year, including all last years deferrals - and they’re expecting 10-20% no-shows from the deferrals.

yep, sounds like it’ll be carnage alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

DCM will be amazing next year anyway. All the keyboard warriors here and on Facebook/twitter could all do a better job organizing supposedly, so I assume they will all be joining the organizing committee for next year to show Jim and co how its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There's only one or two people whining about the cancellation. The rest of us made peace with reality a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

And isn't that part of the problem? Irish people are so conditioned to not expect the brilliant vaccine rollout to make much difference at all. Loads of marathons happening all over Europe which we can do, but we cant do one in Dublin at the end of October?! I don't put much blame on the organisers though but a bigger fight would have been nice to see.

I'm sure some companies will see the gap in the market and there will be some marathon options available around the same time. Won't be the same, but will tick the box for enough people to make it successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

2021 National Marathon Championships are taking place in conjunction with the Belfast city marathon

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/2021-national-marathon-championships?fbclid=IwAR2Ncvep2IXrhbZcoXIcCB7pj1q9fFJpY4jfQMk-sROEfMi2d1YcXsqPfjg

Any comment from Jim?

Must be feeling like a proper mug at this stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Why would he feel like a mug? Unless he was going to relocate the race to the UK he wouldn't be able to run the race here.

Because he rolled over, the only big city marathon organisation to do so without making any effort to lobby for it to be held.

Now we have the national marathon at a no mark event to cover AI arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭jams100

It should have gone ahead.

But you can't blame Jim or any of the DCM team, it would've been like pi**ing against a gale force wind trying to engage with NPHET or the government, they were never going to give enough assurances so that the capital expenditure thats needed for a marathon could be outlayed months in advance (which is what is required).

If the government weren't so overly cautious compared to other European countries then it would've been a different story for the organisers. Anyway, we are where we are now I guess

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How could it have gone ahead? We can't even have races with 100 people much less 16,000.

How can it go ahead in 2022 so then?

What changes in terms of vaccination delivery between this October and October 2022?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Any word on a new sponsor for the race next year? I presume KBC will be out as they leave the Irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I think that's what annoys me the most, like if they race wasnt financially viable for them fair enough obv the can't run it fair at a loss. all this 'right call, can't wait for next year when its safe to ahead' is my problem. It wont be anymore safe next year, if its unsafe in oct 2021 post vaccine rollout, it will not be safe 12 months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Surprised to see this thread still going, and people still debating the reasons for the cancellation. It seems very straightforward to me, it was a large scale event that couldn't get any assurances worth a damn from a government that are so paralysed by fear that they wouldn't even allow parkruns. Health and safety had nothing to do with it, everybody already knows that.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is likely many people left who wouldn't feel safe running a marathon in October. The unsafe bit is predicting what government restrictions will be in place at the time, and nobody knows.

It's not health and safety risks which caused DCM to cancel, it's risks from government and no way to insure against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Plenty of marathons abroad are being cancelled, Frankfurt and Cologne to name just two. The reasons they’re giving entrants is rising case numbers and lower than expected vaccine rollout. There’ll be a lot of disappointment people who will see their foreign marathon cancelled this autumn.

To be fair, the Germans are giving the option of a refund (less admin fee). Having entries rolling over for 3 years is like purgatory.

Having entries roll over for 3 years will finish off many events if they are not getting help from elsewhere.

They may as well start issuing refunds now as we can kiss goodbye to 2022 at this rate.

Unless the HSE can magic 100 new ICU beds out of thin air before the spring...........

NPHET admitted finally on air this morning that our new reason for perpetual restrictions on mass gatherings is to avoid the hospital being over run, that position is not for changing. It's no longer about Covid, our hospital capacity will never be up to the level required so are we on hold forever, there seems to be a power play between HSE and Govt here over funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

40,000 mass gathering outside Croke Park there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

All restrictions lifted on October 22nd - what could have been!

I wonder has Jim heard the news yet, has he a radio with him under the bed....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Probably a few more twists and turns in the covid journey to large events actually taking place maybe october 22nd wont go to plan but i think given todays announcements it is fair to say that the wrong call was made.

TBH nobody knows what way cases or hospital rates will be at the proposed event date next year, there is talk of wanning immunity and boosters being needed and many other potential issues. The point being there will always be unknowns with covid even next year and if a couple of weeks after achieving 90% adult vaccine rate isnt the right time, not sure when will be.

Unless DCM had been given advance notice that if things were going to go well that October 22nd would be a potential date for the restrictions to be lifted then DCM still made the right call.

It's not on DCM to be making those kind of predictions about what government will do several months in advance. It is on government to be working closely with big organisers and letting them know potential scenarios they are working on.

• Advertisement

The HSE & Govt announced the vaccination rollout timelines at the start of the summer and have kept to them perfectly to their credit.

Nothing that wasn't expected since May has come to pass, we also have allowed a few weeks here and there for slower unwinding of restrictions.

How much more assurance could they have been given? Other companies and events with a bit of gumption held fire and planned ahead.

DCM was all for towing the line regarding restrictions but had no plan based on the expected good outcome of the vaccination rollout.

I see they have no problem hoovering up as much cash as possible from 4 virtual races.

This is just inane. If you think that in July 2021 that the organisers had any assurances worth a damn that would allow them to commit to organising a marathon in Dublin then I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I can't claim to be up to speed on all the announcements in Ireland, but I don't get the impression that there was any timetable set out in advance of when various restrictions would be lifted?

The UK government did set out that timetable, but it only applied to England, and as shown with the attempts to get parkruns restarted it was a very different process between England and then it happened with Scotland/ Wales/ NI where no advance notice of plans was given by those devolved governments so then restarts of those parkrun countries was much more rushed affair and with only a couple of weeks, or days, notice of when they could restart. For parkruns there is significantly less financial risk or planning around road closures, emergency service provisions, suppliers providing water/ medals/ tshirts, security concerns and staffing, recruiting of volunteers to man water stations, arranging Expos and numbers...etc...etc.

Without the actual time table on restrictions being published large events cannot take those risks. When would DCM have needed to get permission for road closures? Would that have been forthcoming months ago do you think? Can't see the Gardai providing any permissions for mass events months in advance based purely on a prediction from some race organiser that the government would be lifting restrictions on a certain date, but with nothing to prove it other than what they read in their tea leaves/ crystal ball.

Again, this is just inane. You are making the same mistake in assuming that the vaccine timetable alone is enough to make plans on, when it is the government decisions that are actually the important factor and the government has been historically cautious in what they will allow.

If vaccine rollout out was enough then maybe electric picnic would have went ahead also. But it wasn't, they needed to be allowed to do these things and that requires more than just pointing at the vaccine rollout.

This thread will be gold to read back on in 12 months time when this is all a distant memory.

Another indicator of the direction the country was going early in the summer:

May 31st:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/pup-to-be-phased-out-in-three-stages-with-first-cut-of-50-in-september-40489439.html

The Govt moved to cut the PUP starting in Sept, clearly indicating we were not going back to restrictions on movement or gatherings. That was 5 weeks before the marathon was cancelled on July 7th.

• Advertisement

You don't make plans for holding mass participation events based on a government announcement about unemployment benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

People in this thread still glad the DCM was cancelled in July KNOWING that virtually the whole country would be vaccinated come October even in a worse case scenario. Ireland was giving away ventilators to India last April while we were supposedly in a pandemic.

The last 18 months has been utterly mind numbing.

Remember when people wouldn't venture past their 5k on a run and were proud of it?!...what hope did we actually have in hindsight😂

The PUP was a payment to cover the period when the economy was parked. That announcement at the end of May was clearly informing the public that things were going to change at the start of Sept. You cannot withdraw supports for people without allowing them earn a living.

Here we are Sept 1st, full capacity on public transport, people being encouraged back to the office. Watch how quick employment contracts are referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah those volunteers sure are idiots. They have been made to look like such fools, cant believe it. All those volunteers should resign. Cant wait for next year. 2022 is going to be amazing with all the knowledge on this thread alone joining the organizing committee, going to be the best marathon in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement