Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel spill

Options
  • 16-08-2021 10:39am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I ended up on my ass the other day due to a diesel spill. This was very close to my house and thankfully I was doing only 3 or 4 kph doing a 180 degree turn.

The front just let go and there was no stopping it. I "caught" it on the way down which probably wasn't such a good idea. Ended up with some hamstring pain and damage. Lot's of bruising too.

Bike needed a new front brake lever, and an indicator casing cracked. Not too bad really.

I went back the next day and the area of the spill is like ice - I washed it down with detergent a bit and it's much improved now. A kid on a pushbike could have got get badly hurt there.

Did a couple of spins on the bike since and my confidence is ok again - I did wonder what I'd done wrong at the time. Turns out I'd done nothing wrong.

Hitting spilled diesel at speed could be lethal though. Be careful out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Deadly, will never forget losing bike going under railway bridge and hitting diesel with a pillion onboard, but of road rash nothing worse and went to local Garda station and sure enough he brought down sand to spread on it. Is it like ice, no it’s got less traction than ice.

I guess what really freaked me out was that same corner I took at least twice a day and could scrape pegs on it but this one day I was just toddling along…luckily!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

Do the local council have a crew to sort out these situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭geotrig

had a wobble on something on the ground last week as well and slightly knocked my confidence for a bit as I didn't & couldn't see anything. Was anything visible when you went back or was it just a foot test to see ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes it was pretty obvious. I thought it was just drying water when I was on the bike though.

I knelt down and rubbed the ground - greasy, horrible and very slippery. No doubt at all what it was. That was actually good for my confidence.

Advertisement