Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

100% on the button, Pressrun.

There's too many easy narratives. There are also a lot of folk who don't seem to watch games or see what goes on, but take their opinions from what the read in the papers or the like.

It will be interesting to see how the narrative shifts over the next few weeks for some counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well he did something recently on one of his legs from what I heard and back injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Brilliant news. He will offer so much power going forward. Be some battle with SOS provide Kerry get the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thoughts on James Carr? I thought his two wides were very bad the last day. But he was also being very direct and ran at Dublin in a way that they didn't like at all. Not sure what I'd do with him the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Aido has been brilliant in plenty of big games. But in a few against Dublin has not done well. But he has to play against Kerry. He can break up play like no other when he's on form.

That game was the biggest rollercoaster I think I've ever been on. If we can just get our pressing and running game going in the first half then we're sorted for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Don't want to be hard on AOS but he really needs to be the outstanding player on a team that delivers a big title. Same for mayo as well as his club. Was a period where the three O'Shea's, hennelly, Ruane and Hall were all involved with mayo and couldn't deliver a county title. Something a miss they they could lose three finals and semi finals against teams with less talent. In 2018 he went taking a free from the ground to try to draw a county final. I've seen him play since he was minor in 2008 and never say him take a free from the ground before.

I hope he had a wonderful final and puts all the naysayers back in their place and bridges the 70 year gap but some* criticism (on field performance) is justified

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Probably a bit of a long shot asking this, but does anyone know if there's anywhere that you could buy the 2017 home jersey, preferably brand new? My own one is getting fairly worn, and always really liked that particular design. Also, are the half zip tops that the squad wear, only made available to them to wear? Don't see them on oneills or elverys online. Thanks if anyone can help, and up Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

i didnt say attempted scores. I am referring to kicking points. His conversion rate is abysmal. Seamus was the same, and for that reason they would only kick for a point when there was no other options available to them. i see from your other posts that you are a phallus head, so we will agree to disagree. :)😂

Agreed, for me he is also a starter. his game is so much more than kicking points, and thats okay. There is a job there for him. Hel be put man marking David Moran or Tommy Walsh, sacrificing our slowest player for their game makers is not a bad prospect

He's certainly not perfect by any means, he's not 2 footed, and sometimes he makes bad decisions. His passing is generally excellent and his tackling more so.

Why does he need to be the outstanding player though, can he not just be very good, or even middle of the pack?. Why that specific expectation, and who creates this expectation and the Narrative that he needs to be outstanding to get credit?. It would certainly silence the naysayers if he did, but sure look he was outstanding in the 2019 League Final and the Naysayers still had plenty so say. It wouldn't matter if he single handedly won an All Ireland for most of them. This is a question Malachy Clerkin asks in the Twitter thread I referenced earlier (https://twitter.com/MalachyClerkin/status/1419664555022684167?s=20) - who has decided that he needs to be outstanding so as to answer the over the to criticism of him failing to meet a narrative created by others for him?.

I'm not having a go at you by the way - some criticism is certainly valid. Certainly you'd have expected Breaffy to have done better over the years but the Senior Club championship is very competitive and the winners - certainly in the last few years - have been more than deserving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

They were on sale in Elverys Castlebar on Monday, right beside the new jerseys.

I suppose in a way he created the expectation by having some outstanding games as highlighted. He has an awful lot of attributes that should make him an outstanding player. Maybe your right and he's just a middle of the pack player who has some very good days but when the bar is set there's an sense that he meets it day in and day out, ala Fenton or Dara o Shea and guys like that through the years.

Mayo like O Shea are ripe for criticism as the victor takes the spoils so fingers crossed thats sept 11th

Perhaps. He does have attributes but his weaknesses can be exploited - Dublin have done so effectively by concentrating on his lack of pace. It's not entirely fair to criticise the chap for being exposed for pace when he's not Linford Christie himself.

Will be interesting to see how David Clifford does vs Tyrone as he's been misfiring a bit vs Cork the last 2 games, and as mentioned elsewhere seems to have fallen from Best on the Planet to second in his own house.

I'm not for a second comparing Aido to Clifford in terms of Footballing ability, David Clifford is an absolutely outstanding footballer, but is it not a bit similar in terms of how the expectations that have been created?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

That post makes no sense,you contradicted yourself a few times there in one paragraph.

Also why do you keep banging on about Seamus O Shea?

Excellent point re Clifford, didn't do much in the two all Ireland's versus Dublin either but gets a free pass.

Suppose the narrative can only be dispelled one way and that's by landing the big prize.

I always think back to Dublin and the 1995 win, jayo mania and poor dessie Farrell carrying that team to an all Ireland with little fanfare, just shows how a bit of good publicity frames the memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tbf he gets a pass cos he was 20 in the 2019 finals v Dublin. How much could you expect from a 20 year old against 5 in a row champions at the time.

Expectations will increase over the next few years as he hits his mid 20s but absolutely nothing was expected of him or Sean O Shea in 2019 as 19/20 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually the more I see and hear from Oisin McConville the more I like him.

There are a fair few ex footballers now commentators or pundits who seem to have a dissordinate amount of almost hatred for certain Mayo players.

😏

Remember we have had an ex Meath player complain that Mayo players including AOS were egotistical simply because they talked to and spend some time with the fans, especially the kids.

FFS these would complain if the players ignored the fans and when they don't they complain anyway.

You have a couple of ex Dublin players, who have been involved in recent enough Dublin management teams, come out and whinge whether the Dubs win or lose.

And in the case of one it is totally unwarranted criticism of a highly personal nature.

And the fact he is given column inches in a non Dublin based paper is rather surprising.

Yes AOS is not the fastest player out there, is not a brilliant old fashioned full forward belting over collosal points on either foot and he has sometimes made wrong decisions like taking the ball into contact when he shouldn't have.

And yes he has not had huge influence on games against Dublin.

He has added hugely to Mayo over the years and like the other older lads deserves colosal respect for continously going back to the well year after year pushing to lift the holy grail.

And if he is so shyte as some of these so called experts claim then why do the Dubs foul him so much and put another player in front of him to collect breaking ball?

And I also think down through the years, maybe because of his size, he never gets the amount of protection from referees that other players get.

Post edited by seligehgit on

I am not allowed discuss …

I would agree here and I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say he did nothing in the 2019 finals. Quite the opposite, given Cooper was caught continually fouling him before rightly getting sent off in the first game. I think that can sometimes be part of the narratives that are created though. If someone like that doesn't shoot the lights out on certain days, then all of a sudden he's not a big game player, or he's overrated or the like. Sometimes players come up against better teams or players that just have their number. It's not a reason to cast aspersions on their character when it happens.

I think that's something that really should be spoken about a bit more, particularly when Social media on this is generally a cesspit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think someone put it brilliantly a few days ago by saying that Aidan is a lightning rod for attention. A lightning rod doesn't go out looking for it but because it's so tall (and a few other things), it gets it.

I was chatting about the match a few days ago to someone who I would consider a huge fan and a well-balanced, well educated one. Aidan's poor game came up and the fact that he was out doing interviews before the game didn't help... his head can't be right if he's doing interviews in the lead up to a game...!!!

I hadn't read the interview but my first reaction/question was when was the interview was done? That was met with an "I don't know"..... I'm fairly sure it wasn't in the last week was my response and I told my friend that he should be a bit wiser to the media and the fact that "Aido sells" for them.

I never even went to check the article until reading recent comments reminded me about it. Here's the article, it wasn't even an interview, he was just questioned after the Galway win! It clearly states it was from weeks ago, but of course, it was held back until the day of the game. Some people would want to wise up.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/interview-im-not-going-to-be-everybodys-cup-of-teaaidan-oshea-on-dealing-with-abuse-and-mayos-new-era-40750322.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Can’t remember if it was Off the Ball or GAA hour but they said that AOS has turned down coming on the podcast numerous times.

I never really understood all that "if he's doing interviews/media he can't be right" etc. I recall a programme from an All Ireland Final a few years ago. Bernard Brogan appeared in no less than 4 different adverts. Didn't seem to affect him on the pitch.

Again - narratives.

I wouldn't be a fan of players getting involved in interviews in the lead up to a match, I do think it's a distraction and they should be avoided. It's generally the approach all high performing athletes/teams take.

Adverts would be another thing altogether, they were probably done weeks/months in advance... But on the Brogan point, it probably links well... winners don't come under the same scrutiny! There won't be the same scrutiny next year please god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

That was the GAA hour. He did go on that a few years back after the Fermanagh game and the "dive" and his wording ending up as one of those really annoying sound bites in the podcast for years to come.

That was never a dive.

There was another media and social Media pile on after that which was pretty shocking. I mean you even had RTE showing the angle of the *only* camera they brought to the game to the opposition manager after the game.

https://twitter.com/inphojames/status/752245287327072256?s=21

shame the tangling of legs and jersey pull was completely ignored. But again, narratives.

Anyone got a bucket and spade?

McHale Park pitch resurfacing well underway

https://fb.watch/7u2ovLsXal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

That was amazing. Marty Morrissey bringing an iPad into his interview with the Fermanagh manager just trying to cause a storm. I've never seen anything like that before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Top level soccer players do formal press conferences and informal media often the day before a game. Boxers and MMA fighters will do media directly after a weigh-in, the day before the event. I don't think there is any correlation whatsoever between this stuff and performance, it just seems to be a stick to beat "flashy" GAA players with in my opinion.

Colm Parkinson was lamenting the lack of media in the week leading up to the Connacht and Leinster finals from the perspective of promoting the games, and I agree completely.

Indeed. And not a peep from the GPA or any of their former CEO's for that incident.

Tbh, RTE acted like a ragtop looking for scandal when Aidan was subbed. Canning tried to make a big deal about Aidan and James not shaking hands (not done with other subs afaik) as Aidan sprinted to get off the pitch. Cantwell then made some stupid comment before ET about how Aidan was disgusted about being taken off. Pure trash from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

he didn't stop warming up after his sub so maybe he was told he was coming back on late in the game. Secondly he was encouraging the team from the sidelines in the closing stages of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

He has never scored in an All Ireland semi or final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The stats are there for all to see. I'm a big fan but misses like the mark on Saturday are pretty hard to defend. I may be wrong, but recall a bad miss just before HT in the 2019 semi final which would have sent Mayo in with an even bigger lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pretty sure he kicked a nice point in the first half of that game.

Wrong. He scored vs Tyrone in 2013 (Semi Final). Semi Final replay 2015 and Semi Final 2016,

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

He has scored in numerous semi finals. He's not a prolific scorer but at least keep to the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Andy Moran mentioned on his podcast that AOS was wearing a protective boot all last week so that might help explain a bit of his below par performance maybe

Thanks I stand corrected. I think he takes far too much abuse, he's been a super player for Mayo for 10 years now. But at his level inability to kick simple scores is not acceptable and not that hard fix, I mean I'd have put that mark over. On the other hand I definitely wouldn't have won the high ball. If he had tapped over those 2 gimmie scores he was on his way to motm and an iconic croker performance. It's fine margins and in the long run it may yet be all to the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Horan said he was carrying an injury so that might have affected his kicking or his performance overall.

No player should have to take any abuse. None.

They're the ones effectively putting a lot of their lives to one side to do what they do and we are the beneficiaries by the entertainment it provides.

And while I'm sure both of us might have had a good chance of those scores, neither of us have ever had to put up with abuse Aido will have had to take - particularly in front of the hill - last Saturday or any other day - be it on line or in person. Anyone trying to play it out as banter or bringing colour to the game is just making excuses for scummy behaviour.

Its the true mark of a coward to be abusing amateur players be it from a terrace or from people online. You know for certain that none of these little toerags would have the balls to repeat themselves if the man was standing in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Didn't quite understand that myself. I'm sure Aidan was disappointed to be subbed, but he'll knew exactly why it happened and I didn't detect any "icy" tension between him and Horan. They were hugging after the game ffs. Really stank of commentators trying to construct drama where there was none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

it was ridiculous,Maloney's insinuation.

Putting 2 and 2 together and arriving at 5.

Horan was totally in the zone when Aidan came off.

Embarrassing clickbait that should'nt be given any oxygen.

Post edited by seligehgit on

Pure non story. Manager is immersed in the game. Player is taking his seat in the stand.

I'm not sure why Canning is being criticised. Wasnt it Maloney and McStay on comms? Joanne has form for being a hyperbolic merchant. She just loves a headline so shes best not to be taken seriously at all.

Afaik, none of the pundits O Se, Staunton or O Rourke made an issue of it.

may have just been an attempt to try to make something as apparently Dean Rock was a bit peeved when he was subbed vs Kildare, so trying to raise that sort of false flag.

It was Canning the last 2 times I watched it :)

Oh yeah, 100%. Except Rock threw out the arms as if to say wtf when he was subbed in that game. Aidan just jogged off into the stands. Pure nonsense by rte

Fair enough. I'm not sure what channel you were watching then cos I watched the game twice and The Sunday Game 3 times, just to make sure Dublin lost, and it was Darragh Maloney and McStay commentating on all of them.

They're also commentating on it in this clip.

Can't disagree with anything you've said there. I remember watching his Breaffy team lose a county final 2 weeks after Mayo lost one of their finals around the middle of the decade. By the end of the game there was torrential rain and in his moment of utter dejection, fatigue and cold he still stopped to sign autographs for a swarm of kids. It said a lot about a man some people call a bottler and a choker.

Didn't contradict myself ...

Mod Edit

Less of the smart comments please.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

On the mark AOS missed he took it from the exact spot where the mark was made which was a slightly tricky angle for a ciotog.

Most regular free takers would have engineered their run up so their angle was much more advantageous when they kicked the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Martin Carney also saying O Shea was injured and hasn’t trained much since Connacht final

But yeah doing an interview made him miss the mark !

Just waiting for mention of the “egos in the dressing room “ now and Mayo bingo will be complete

Advertisement