Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

See that's it, I don't particularly mind the phased step by step approach once it's well laid out in advance, now we know not all plans go exactly according to plan but they give a general direction of travel. MM seems to announce something and it's purely for the next 3 weeks or so, and then in 3 weeks announce something else. That annoys me, an inability to think longer term, as you said a piecemeal approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

On holiday this week. Been indoor dining all week. Can't think of anywhere that hasn't checked the covid pass if you're inside. The pub had someone taken out by the guards don't know what for as he was outside. Restaurants are busy.

I wouldn't have gone away if indoor dining wasn't open.

Reminds me when this started someone said this pandemic will be over when people decide it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Extent of hospital crisis laid bare and it’s fairly shocking;

Clear now that restrictions are solely for protecting our hospitals, with protecting people from Covid become a coinciding byproduct.

No issue with protecting hospitals by the way, it’s become an unfortunate necessity due to practically criminal negligence.

Time for fear and division to stop. Unfortunately I can’t see any real end to restrictions with the state of our healthcare, massive backlog and dearth of skilled health professionals.

If you haven’t been angry yet, it’s time - but angry together as a society against a rotten system, not angry and in fear of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Genuine question - what kites are you seeing being flown? I've seen basically no commentary on the new "roadmap" beyond a disappointing meeting with the ents industry, but I haven't been paying much attention.

As above, I'd like to see a plan that's more than "on the 20th September we're going to do X and then on the 4th October we might do Y if everything looks OK and beyond that we'll see."

But I'm not confident Michael is willing to put firm plans down in writing. As @stephenjmcd says, FG put out a solid plan, and it didn't go to plan, but that fact didn't hurt them at all. Having a plan which might fall apart gives more comfort than having no plan at all.

Some kite flying here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/later-than-expected-delta-peak-threatens-events-sector-reopening-1.4650496

“Sources do not expect Nphet to recommend any further easing of restrictions next week”.

Mary Favier was also on the radio and papers yesterday threatening no easing if cases rise. It’s definitely a concerted effort from the ultra conservative wing of NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There was a piece in the Examiner recently quoting government sources (for what that's worth) indicating 4 criteria that needed to be met before allowing further easing of restrictions. Can't find the link as I'm on the mobile.

They outlined an R number at or below 1 and hospitals not struggling amd stable case numbers and advice from public health officials before allowing further easing.

I agree with you, a plan that doesn't work out due to external influences is better than no plan at all. I find it incredulous that they don't have a plan in place. I refuse to believe anyone is that incompetent.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks for that.

I found the Indo had a relatively similar article. But there's a lot more opinion in these pieces than fact. "Sources do not expect". The Indo doesn't quote any sources at all.

It's silly season, journalists desperate for something to write about. A punt that suggests easing of restrictions won't take place until "the end of September" (i.e. 20th Sept), seems like a pretty safe one to make.

I think the more important one to watch here is the dissent in cabinet over these roadmaps. So far all parties have been on board with Michael's conservative approach so long as the people have been on board. It's clear now that the Greens are not happy with the lack of transparency and the apparent refusal to engage relevant ministers on plans for their areas.

And people are also restless. The arts sector has for most part stayed in line, accepted that indoor venues and live performances were high risk, but they - along with many others - are no longer content to hear, "Just hold on", when you have other sectors like sports, thundering ahead. And when you have a vaccination programme approaching the maximum of its rollout. At most people might accept, "We need time for the schools and colleges to get back", but they will want to see something solid beyond that, regardless of NPHET's opinion.

And the other government parties know that, they won't accept Michael freezing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There was a Mickey fella in here earlier in the year, rolling his eyes and laughing at anybody who said there would be further restrictions over the winter.

He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the justifications for lockdowns last year would still apply this year. If it is about protecting the health service then that will apply no matter what the reason for their struggle, whether it is covid or anything else, and once we opened the pandoras box of societal restrictions we will find it hard to justify NOT using them again. Because why would we allow our front line heroes to suffer when there is something we could do about it...

This so called public health emergency should already have been officially ended months ago, anybody who thinks this is still about covid needs to cop the **** on.

There was also a good article in the IT about how NPHET is working at the moment. The power is concerted in the top 4 or 5 people. I wouldn’t be surprised if other members are going to the media as their role is now to rubber stamp what the top 5 agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭User1998

I heard on the radio this morning that a member of NPHET has said that schools and third level education re opening have priority over a further easing of restrictions on society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's not kite flying, that's a given and government policy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I am a little depressed about the situation in the future today.

We have one of the highest uptakes of the vaccine in the world. I expect that we will have one of the highest uptakes for vaccinating the under 12s once the vaccines are approved for that age group - though obviously the uptake will be much lower than the adults.

It appears that we are still going to have covid circulating in the community no matter how many get vaccinated, and we are still going to have a cohort who will need hospitalisation, even if they are vaccinated. Given the lack of flexibility that existed in our health system pre-covid, it appears to me that even a lowish number of hospitalisations is going to lead the hospitals to struggle, especially in winter. It feels to me that the government are going to impose a 4-8 week lockdown every winter, or possibly two or three times over the winter, every year ad nauseum.

The only way out of this is to build and staff more hospitals. Like that is literally the only way out of this. And you can't just magic up qualified medical staff - they either have to go through college or be imported from abroad. We're a relatively small country, we probably could get enough staff from India or elsewhere to staff two or three more hospitals. Is that what the government should be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If we trust in the vaccines (which we should and know they work), why don’t we give the people a clear target.

Once 90% of over 16’s are vaccinated, all Covid rules cease to exist. Simple straightforward, no messing.

Can we try that one for a while and see how we go? Pete Lunn was on the radio the other day, and said their (ESRI) findings are that people are cautious and don’t rush back even if they are “allowed” and that there is a cohort who are unvaccinated and don’t follow any rules anyway.

Enough is enough, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Not unrealistic at all, scarily it's very likely

Not sure how I feel about my 2 yound lads under 5 getting it. They had very little symptoms when it was in our house in January, they coughed a bit at night, other than that they were fine, in the daytime they ran about as normal. Can't ask for better than that.

Part of that is the modelling they rely on and that decisions are still driven by the 14 day case rate. That is still not translating into alarming hospital numbers yet NPHET seem to maintain that the link between cases and hospitalisation is still strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

This question has been asked from the beginning, not by journalists or any one in the media, and still no definite answers.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I think they can but that abundance of caution and last Christmas will not let them stray away from the graphs. Add in a government who can't say No to advice and we stay as we are for now. The HSE don't really have anything to do with this and do deserve a lot of praise for a pretty excellent vaccination programme.

So unvaccinated kids will be sitting in a class room together all day but fully vaccinated adults can’t go to a nightclub

Doesn't make much sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My kids will be sitting in a well-ventilated classroom with masks on, movements between rooms restricted, no lockers, no physical contact, physical exercise limited to walking outdoors, trying to get an education.

You're comparing that to a packed nightclub with a bunch of pissed and drugged up people all over each other.

I am in favour of nightclubs re-opening but it's a ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Its now August 2021 and almost everyone in the country has some sort of immunity to covid. Almost all adults have been vaccinated and absolutely all of the vulnerable have been fully vaccinated. This is not March 2020 deciding what is essential and what is not. Nightclubs and late bars are absolutely essential to thousands of people in the entertainment industry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Essential is a nonsense argument 18 months into this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Look at the end of the day what's essential to one person and what's essential to someone else is going to vary, it always will, before covid and after covid so you won't get a consensus on what is and isn't essential. Would love nothing more than a night out in a club myself but it's not going to happen any time soon.

On a side note, the Dutch have confirmed nightclubs won't open until 31st October at the earliest. 1 positive for them is they have a date to aim for at least, the negatives it's not a guarantee and it's the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

General hospital numbers holding quite steady last few days as well. 262 at the beginning of the week and steady in the 240's since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They were pretty clear in saying that "essential" is a redundant metric at this stage, so why respond by talking about what is or isn't essential?

Advertisement