Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That most of the British public are not racist.

The whole point of the interview was to establish that this very vocal slice of society that argues the UK is "inherently racist", by virtue of being born white, is absurd.

No one ever said that the UK was inherently racist. Where do you get that from.

That does not mean that there aren't racist elements, which could be improved.

Modern citizens are not responsible for British imperial crimes but that doesn't mean you can't view your history accurately. Farage has a problem with that.

The Germans faced up to their dark past, with out blaming current population.

The UK and it's people by enlarge is still a good country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trying to reduce the Other Side's arguments to "Britiain is racist" is a Bad Faith, frankly shítty argument from those who obviously don't wish to allow for any self-examination on Britain's role in various malignant aspects of history; be it their own repressive empire, the Slave Trade, or something as trivial as the appropriation of the world's cultural treasures (something other nations' museums are slowly addressing, putting pressure on the British Museum).

Britain has a long and complex history - why wouldn't it when it's one of the oldest continuing nations - and it shouldn't come as any great surprise that when you erect statues of prominent Slave Traders in your city centre, it's going to clash with modern, multicultural Britain and the populations who might have been on those boats fadó. The Nigel Farages can't have it both ways: they can't beat their chest about Britain's melting pot harmony, while ignoring the very real aspects of that nation's story which have racist and racial roots. Deconstructing the myths of Britain doesn't mean self-destructing the entirety - just understanding and being open about that complexity. Nigel Farage instead chooses the "Everything's perfect the way it is" kind of denial that ... well. Yeah. Very typical of the middle-to-upper class white man of his ilk.

Like others of his stripe, he's trying to present a simple solution to a complex problem.

As you say Joe40, countries have and do face up to their past: Germany being the obvious, closest example where they re-evaluated their own notion of what it meant to be German and acknowledged their actions in pursuit of that had repugnant and tragic results. To the extent, it was only in 2016 when they hosted the World Cup that demographics felt comfortable waving their national flag. South Africa, Northern Ireland has also tried to discuss and be open about their racial or sectarian pasts - even if the end-results haven't always been as successful as Germany's. But Britain paints itself as the "winner" all the time, especially of WW2 (Dunkirks, bankruptcy and Suez Crisis' notwithstanding), immediately preventing that sense of self-awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah but on the other hand, one Indian guy in Britain said he never experienced much racism.... so.... maybe there's nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LOL. Well true. I gotta at least tip my hat to the GB News research time, in finding the one talking head they wanted; someone to back up the bias that racism in the UK is overblown. Just those avocado-eating liberals at it again; why do they hate Britain Penn? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I just hope the British food industry can get to a place where real British ingredients are used to make real Indian food by real British chefs, just like it always was in the glorious days of the British Empire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm reminded of the time the rapper Stormzy replied "definitely 100%" to a question whether there was still racism in Britain and the right wing media reported it as Stormzy saying Britain was "100% racist". It is what they do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The reason that the lefties must all hate Britain narrative is failing is that common sense conservatism has gutted the economic prospects of the next generation via extortionate housing and university prices when their parents got the former at a reasonable price and the latter for free. They can't engage constructively so they have to resort to pretending that anyone asking questions about the empire hates the country but without a meaningful stake or ties to the country it falls flat for this reason and the few common sense conservatives who see this deride the younger folk as lazy when they benefitted from free education, unionised jobs, meaningful work, etc.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Almost nobody in the UK desires a return to the imperial past. That's such a canard; an oft-repeated trope with no basis in reality.

You can acknowledge the context of the past whilst simultaneously remaining proud of what your country stands for today. The two are not in opposition to one another. Furthermore, it's only a tiny minority of extremists that tear down statues; which, if we are honest, is nothing more than a criminal, vandalous act. Should we similarly tear down statues of those whose attitudes toward homosexuality were abhorrent? What about misogyny, too? See where this leads: nowhere; a cultural whitewashing coupled to a destructive and writhing self-loathing attitude.

The UK has "faced up to its past". The real problem is the anti-British attitude now pervasive in society, not just in the UK but also in Ireland, that seeks to demonize the UK and attack the very idea of national pride. Structural racism my arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That was a well-written, nuanced post and you've responded with hysteria, faux-outrage, whataboutery and strawmanning.

The UK has continually failed to face up to the past for the reasons you've inadvertently displayed here. Any meaningful discussion must be poisoned with false accusations of hating Britain. Bristol is a perfect example. Common sense conservatives shut down any attempt to portray Coulson in a nuanced light so BLM took the statue down by force as this was the only option they had.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I find it ironic that conservatives are so quick to shut down accusations of longing for the empire of old when they've hollowed out this nation so much for their elite friends that the UK, the country which invented the tank is now incapable of actually making them. The Royal Navy is now down to a few dozen ships so we don't have to worry about Britannia ruling the waves any time soon.

Leaving aside the fact you literally just did what I chastened and turned this into an absolutist case - "anti-British attitude" as a means to shut down national self-review - I was hoping you wouldn't do it, and TBH suspected you might: you conflated the morality of the vandalism against the statue, with the moral stance against its existence, or the context in which it exists in the first - that is, to celebrate Edward Colston, noted Slave Trader.

And to your second point: show me where that statue was acting as a condemnation or solemn remembrance to Colston's turgid life and I'll take the "whitewashing history" argument, itself your own canard. History isn't set in stone; once erected, totems to controversial figures don't get historical immunity just because "they're there", or some clutched-pearl that removing something seen as a celebration of a shítty racist man who made money from trading slaves might somehow sully the British identity. If it's that fragile, maybe it's not worth keeping in the first place - or maybe you don't give people enough credit to actually extract the good from the bad - and parse the "complicated" figures. That you try to draw moral equivalence on an industrialised racist, hiding behind the argument of petty vandalism, is a poor reflection on your attempts at the "where do you draw the line?" argument; you draw the line at the statues celebrating slave traders. It's one scenario that is quite simple in fact.

But again, you clearly don't want to do that, and decide the easier path is to chatter about "self-loathing"; as if reflection on Britain's racist legacy is somehow a negative or psychological weakness. If national pride is dependent on its inability to either debate its own past, or be malleable in the face of a changing future - what value has it in the first place? If Scotland leaves the UK in the next 10 years, what will "British" mean then? According to you, exactly the same and beholden to no period of self-reflection.

Hysteria?

Only a handful of pages ago that very word was deemed misogynistic. Indeed, you liked the post that accused me of being misogynistic for writing it.

But, it shows that when conservatives use the word, they get accused of misogyny, but when non-conservatives use the word, they are probably just open-minded to gender neutral language, right?

Let me put this as plainly as possible. Everyone posting here is doing so as an individual. None of us are responsible for what anyone else posts.

And yeah, you absolutely were using misogynistic language. You'd never see Keir Starmer for instance being described as hysterical but Jacinda Ardern, a woman who's shown herself to be one of the best leaders in the world today gets tarred with it because that's all conservatism has to offer in terms of intellectual rigor nowadays.

Hysteria and hysterical are two different words. I shouldn't have to explain this.

• Advertisement

Hysteria was a medical diagnosis for mad women in the 19th century.

Hysterical and hysteria are different versions of the same meaning, with the same history re: women.

Weirdly, dodging how the right have defended a slaver...

I remember seeing a comment from Reddit (with the obvious caveats of course) from someone saying that they were a history teacher. She said she had no problem explaining to her six-year old students that Alexander the Great was both a brilliant leader while also being a slaver and that definitions like good and bad weren't appropriate. History has nuanced and much be treated accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

You can't judge slave-traders by the norms of the 21st century.

This isn't the 19th century so why you're diagnosing a 21st century leader of New Zealand with this is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

even by the norms of their own times they were abhorrent.

Omitting their background as a slaver on a plaque was the issue at the time iirc. So it's basically whitewashing the history.

Ah, this old canard. There have protests going back centuries about slavery. Even some Catholic Church clergy in fifteenth century Spain protested about the harsh treatment of the natives. This idea that pre-twentieth century societies were enthusiastic embracers of slavery and we must never criticize is as daft as it is pathetic.

Yeah. Exactly. It's intellectual cowardice to hide behind statues - of goddamn slave traders FFS - and do the public the disservice to think they can't parse the complexity of historical figures. I was only watching a video on that very subject, its author trying to give examples of historical monarchs who were as objectively "good" as the term could allow, given historical context. Mostly as an attempt to avoid the Great Man Theory; the video's examples came down to "while yes, he invaded lands and conquered peoples, he also opened universities and encouraged education in his subjects".

In point of fact, something like Horrible Histories does exactly what eskimo seems allergic to; showing children how history was violent, messy, flawed - but still fascinating and full of personalities and interesting moments. If children can understand these complexities - then so can adults; removing statues to slave traders shouldn't be the seismic destruction of national identity being worried about.

Eskimo doesn't actually want to discuss the fact that the NZ response to COVID-19 was far more successful than the UK's. In fact, they could live pretty normal lives as a result of the handling of it. Instead it's more about portraying a woman as hysterical.

You condemned me as having committed misogyny for using the word hysterical, but have no problem whatsoever using the word hysteria yourself - despite now knowing the full implications and history of both words re: women.

The hypocrisy stinks.

That said, I don't consider you to be misogynistic for having used that word because I think language evolves. Your sleight of hand re: Ardern, has been noted.

But the posters who accused me of misogyny may well say to you that you have used misogynistic language. Maybe they won't. We'll have to wait and see.

Open a history book, to be blunt; plenty of figures, movements and peoples were organised against the Slade Trade, including our own patriots like Daniel O'Connell. Like much in life, the money earned and industry/jobs established by the trade made its removal difficult. But the moral objection existed and the "norms" argument doesn't wash.

One other major factor is that historically slavers tended to do lots of charity work. The logic was that it would hopefully buy their way into heaven after their pretty horrible actions. So they weren't oblivious to the immorality of their actions.

Sigh. I've explained myself and won't do so again. There's simply no point.

• Advertisement

The ironic thing is you are probably the most anti British poster on here.

You support Farage and his Ilk who are not representative of modern Britain.

Plenty of British people are proud of their heritage but also willing to acknowledge the wrongs of the past. That is what self assured countries do.

Farage political record show that the vast majority of British people show no support for his policies. He is a failed politician.

You are anti British in that your views do not represent modern Britain. Sure there are a few, even a significant minority who concur, but the majority do not. GB viewing figures are a stark reflection of this fact.

So don't come here talking about national pride. You have no national pride in modern Britain and as an apologist for the British empire, you certainly have no national pride in your own country.

Farage is just a greedy little parasite. He attended only 1 out of 43 fisheries meetings, milked the EU taxpayer as much as he could and then told UK fishermen that they weren't being listened to but neglected to tell them the whole story, ie that he couldn't be bothered to do his job.

I'm Irish, not British.

The acrobatics now at play, though! Supporting Farage is now synonymous with being "anti-British".

I wasn't expecting that one, that's for sure!

Whilst GB News provides conservative coverage of the major issues of the day, this is what the modern opposition is frenetically engaged with.

Verbal twaddle.

This kind of nonsense is why GB News was set up. The absolute stupidity of this kind of thing never fails to amaze me.

Embarrassing at this stage.

What evidence is there that this is "what the modern opposition is frenetically engaged with"? I'm guessing this is just a carefully edited, cherrypicked tweet you've dumped here in a thread where it has no relevance whatsoever.

Yeah, supporting Farage is at odds with modern Britain and the views of the majority of British people.

He is not representative of the people. In fact large numbers hold him in absolute contempt.

Why are companies unwilling to be associated with his brand.

The fact you are Irish makes your support for Farage all the more incomprehensible.

In my defence, what you posted wasn't all that tonally different from the other, actual attempts to defend the existence of celebrations to slave traders - because, gosh, it might imperil the British identity.

On the historical tangent, and to follow up on my own mention of Horrible Histories; its historical researcher runs a decent BBC podcast called "You're Dead to Me", which covers various colourful figures from history.

The fact that people walk by a statue and get "offended" is pretty sad, to be honest.

I could never be friends with someone with that kind of mental fragility.

There are many deeply homophobic people of the past with extant statues. Even knowing this, I'm not remotely offended by their past views. Seriously, who cares!?

Only 13% of the British public support the statue being removed in the manner in which it was.

Criminal vandals who need to get a 9-to-5 job!

• Advertisement

The history behind the well known hymn "amazing grace" is proof that the idea that slavery was morally wrong was well known in the 1700s.

Like all things it was greed that displaced morals, not any lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

By that same logic. Getting worked up and agitated to defend or excuse those said statues and to virulently oppose those who do find the display of said statues and their implication to many in a multi-racial society is just as sad.

Well, all sorts of solutions were proposed which the sort of intellectual cretins which infest city councils in this country shouted down so, with the tension from the murder of George Floyd thrown in this was the result. It could easily have been prevented with compromise and debate but those don't suit common sense conservatives sadly.

If Farage's views were representative of the people, then clearly he would have been elected to Parliament at some point when he ran. He didn't, and in fact only ever held the position of MEP - presumably as something of a protest vote in elections with a notoriously low turnout

Who cares? People who would have been valid targets for Colston's slave trade. Is it really that difficult for you to reflect on why a Black Englishman might find it repugnant that his home-town has a statue, one that celebrates a man who literally objectified and commodified his ancestor's existence? But then you tried to dismiss those concerns as people who would vandalise and be violent - making it easy I guess to ignore said concerns. Magnificent cognitive dissonance really.

Stop trying to conflate the difference between often private homophobic views - views that are often mentioned in modern historical biographies anyway - and a pillar of the UK's then economy. Most modern textbooks and documentaries are careful to highlight figures whose personal opinions or lives were distasteful or deplorable.

And in any case, this wasn't your argument, as always the goalposts move a little. You were trying to imply that the British Identity depended on the continued existence of unapologetic celebrations of obviously and demonstrably malevolent figures. Not "ah he invented sliced bread but hated the gays", but someone who saw Black people as cattle. Objects.

History be complex. But it's not absolutist either.

But a majority wanted it removed by your poll.

Nonsense.

84% of black Britons reject the toppling of statues.

You can believe that racism must be tackled in any country without supporting this kind of mindless vandalism.

• Advertisement

That poll is interesting and a good reflection of modern Britain.

Only 33% wanted the statue to stay.

As I said your views are a minority view in Britain. Farage support definitely is.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, we are NOT TALKING ABOUT THE VANDALISM ITSELF.

I don't have a Time subscription but your own article deviates from your "who cares?" narrative. Black people do, they just don't care for the manner in which its expressed. Did you even read the article? Seems not cos you're obsessed with vandalism as a means of dismissal of cause and context.

The research found that while most black British people believe the UK is a racist society, the hard-left elements of the Black Lives Matter movement are at odds with the wider black British community about how to tackle the country’s colonial past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If Farage's views were representative of the people, then clearly he would have been elected to Parliament at some point when he ran. He didn't, and in fact only ever held the position of MEP - presumably as something of a protest vote in elections with a notoriously low turnout

Unable to win election in the eminently populist FPTP system. A man who only gained a political mandate and platform with a PR-STV system designed to ensure a level of minority representation in what he deems a useless talking shop. Yet apparently he is the voice of some otherwise silent undercurrent of English society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what you posted is almost identical to what was posted in earnest on the original statue thread.

84% of black Britons agree with me, that the statues should not be torn down. And only 13% of the UK population agree with criminally taking down statues.

They also agree with me that racism must be tackled through other means, and largely do not support BLM in this regard.

So, whilst you can try to portray the facts as otherwise, the vast majority of people agree with my conclusions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement