Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Which is what you do when comparing against placebo eg 95% vs 99%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some of these I can see but not in September, more likely from October onwards because the government will want to see how 3rd level goes first. I expect masks to be there for the foreseeable, especially on transport, but we might see movement on social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Musicians have suffered financially and mentally for a long time.

I know of a Musician who committed suicide over the restrictions.

Four pubs where I live have outdoor seating where you could hire someone to play music, yet only one of them does and its a band on a Saturday and Sunday, so two slots for all the musicians in the city every week.

Yet here you are commenting that music is allowed now like everyone is back to work, while thousands are struggling financially and mentally.

People with kids and mortgages who are under terrible stress and here you are nitpicking a comment as if things are back to normal.

I assume you are young and have no responsibilities because you can head off to the North when you want and unless you turned down a vaccine you would have been given a first vaccine before you got Covid.

Going on bragging about how you can go through a week without being inconvenienced by restrictions and not a care about people who can't.

You are either in my opinion either coming on here trying to wind people up because you are bored.

You are the type who would start an argument in an empty room, the type who is always right and even friends on a night out sigh when they here you are coming out because you are always right about everything.

You want restrictions to end yet you are happy not to get vaccinated when we most likely need to hit a certain percentage of vaccinations to ease restrictions but you don't care because restrictions don't apply to you.

Maybe I am wrong and you are totally unaware of how you come across but what is not up for debate is the fact you have no sympathy for the people of the country who are struggling and only care about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hey guys is there a way we can take rights away from white males and give them to the immuno-underprivileged?

It's really important that we try to promote biological equity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Can people read this? It may be behind a paywall for some, I can put the article text in a post if needed.

Interesting commentary.Basically an immunologist stating the following:

""Prof Moynagh said because of Ireland’s vaccine uptake Covid-19 case numbers are now “likely to be as good as they are going to get” in the coming months and “that should be reflected in some of the things we are thinking about”.

The Government should have been more ambitious with reopening earlier in the summer, said Prof Moynagh. “Were we seriously saying we were going to open up things at the beginning of September when schools were opening, and universities, and we were heading into the winter months?

“Things do not get easier and we need to be up front about that.”"

He's right, and the exact same thing happened last year. We were s-l-o-w-l-y lifting restrictions without any apparent thought that September would be precarious, simply due to the nature of the timing and of course we got hit. We are making the same mistake all over again. It feels like we are on the back foot constantly. That might have been ok in March 2020, but after 2 more rounds of lockdowns, it is most definitely not ok. Forward planning is just non-existent as far as I can see. And the reluctance to even mention what could be done to alleviate the Health Service problems, never mind to actually go and try to do something is unreal.

It beggars belief that we have continued to choose to pour millions down the drain in Pandemic Support payments over actually trying to do something with the health system - even just planning for the Health system to be able to manage through this pandemic long term.

Further down that article -

"Vaccine certs

Elsewhere, the Restaurants Association of Ireland has asked that vaccine certificates be removed due to high levels of vaccination in the general public.

In a document sent to Fáilte Ireland, the association also said that all social distancing requirements should be removed, which they claimed result in a capacity loss of 40 per cent.

The trade group said sanitisation, ventilation and C02 monitors would help mitigate the risk of Covid spread.

Similarly, it has asked that the set closing time of 11.30pm be removed, which it said has resulted in a “loss of a last sitting time for approximately 50 per cent of restaurants who would run a late sitting during weekend periods”. It also argued that this closing time puts additional pressure on public and private transport systems."

Also an interesting viewpoint.

We aren't going to get a much better vaccination rate in this country (as anyone who actually understands statistics will know), so to quote Boris "if not now, then when?". An element of common sense has to start coming into this somewhere.

• Advertisement

Its a good trend, but will be shortlived imo, it's just wishful thinking and head in the sand stuff, hoping it will get better, we might as well accept it now that's it's going to be a very tough winter

Compared to last year it's horrific.

19th Aug 20 with no vaccines and we had 17 in hospital

19th Aug 21, 244 in hospital with 85% fully vaccinated

1335% increase like for like and the trend graph looks the exact same as last year. Lowest in July and a gradual incline month by month until we had to lockdown in Winter.

Delta has fucked everything up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yet again, more projection on your part.

I'm a musician (not my full time job). I used to play regularly in a band. We haven't even had a practice session since March last year. I didn't (not once) comment that everything is back to normal and that everyone is back to work.

I didn't turn down a vaccine. I was going to get around to it at some stage but I was too busy and I'm shíte when it comes to things like that. I have a wife and a couple of kids. We all went to the festival last weekend. It's very family friendly.

I did not (not once) say that I can go through a week without being inconvenienced by restrictions. At most, I might have said 'a few days'.

As I've recently had Covid, in my opinion, I don't need to get vaccinated. I'll let my share go to someone that does.

Lastly, maybe it's just the way you read something that's not there...but I most certainly do have sympathy for people who are struggling and don't just care about myself. I just don't type it out very often. I shouldn't need to.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

@shesty We aren't going to get a much better vaccination rate in this country (as anyone who actually understands statistics will know), so to quote Boris "if not now, then when?". An element of common sense has to start coming into this somewhere.

Unfortunately common sense went out the window a long time ago.

Very good article. I support this stance.

I shouldn't have to state that ^^^ but it appears that some people misunderstand my posts.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But it's not a like for like comparison. Our current cases would have seen some restrictions reapplied in August 2020. What we are effectively doing now is letting it rip through those who are unvaccinated as we shrink the size of that group through vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

we're paying for decades of HSE mismanagement and a state agenda to facilitate two tier healthcare

and now the HSE through NPHET and a craven government has the power to throttle society to cover for their inadequacies.

There's more fully vaccinated people getting covid on the 19th of Aug 21 than there was people getting it in on the 19th Of Aug 20 with no vaccine's

We had 48 cases on 19/08/20, probably be 2000 cases today and over 200 of them will be fully vaccinated

It's ripping through everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Who cares? This virus effects virtually no one under the age of 80

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes and natural lifespan doesn't change.

Michaelangelo lived to the age of 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Incorrect

Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said that 43% of patients in ICUs are below the age of 50 

Probably caused by the more recent or lower vaccination uptake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

There was 54 patients in ICU last night. 43% of this number is 23 people under the age of 50.

April 2020 estimated population was 4,977,400 people with an estimate of 3,389,600 or 68.1% of the population being under 50.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2020/

So 23 people out of 3,389,600 are in ICU under the age of 50.

68.1% of the population are represented by 23 in ICU (under 50)

31.9% of the population are represented by 31 in ICU (over 50)

So it is still a disease of the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

40,000 for croke park this Sunday, no testing, no tempature checks, no covid certs needed all mixing and mingling pre match around Drumcondra.

Are these events not meant to be test events?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The only thing they are testing is our patience.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Very true, my bad, when you said virtually no one under the age of 80 I thought it would be closer to 0 and much further away than 23, which represents 43% of our total ICU numbers, I thought it would be closer to 0%

My bad

• Advertisement

I'd say the idea is they will monitor what way case numbers will go for the 2 weeks after the event and call that their "test"

To be fair there's unlikely to be mass testing before any other sporting events this year as none of them will be on the scale of the All Ireland crowd numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't worry if a case comes from any 'test event' in Ireland we will never hear the end of it by the media

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Would it not be safer to like all concerts in belfast, need proof vaccination, recovery from covid or negative test.

Its as if they want cases to rise.

Monaghan played Tyrone in Croke Park recently 14,000 same rules there was none. How can they monitor cases of people if half the people at game don't live in the country.

Tryone will also be back next week in front of 40,000

I never said virtually no one under the age of 80.

You are correct. Your bad.

Should be negative test only entry, only safe way

Being vaccinated isn't worth a piss.

Convenient is all it is.

Also 23 people (43%) out of 3,389,600 under 50 in Ireland is 0.001% of the under 50 population.

So it would be correct to say virtually no one under 50 is in ICU with covid.

Safer - absolutely, more costly - probably

And that's probably the reason

There out in the open air for god sake.Croke ok should be full Sunday with the amount of vaccines dosed out at this stage

• Advertisement

Virtually no one is 43% of cases... Gives a new meaning to "virtually no one" but ok

Advertisement