Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Your antimask agenda is beyond ridiculous at this stage .

Covid is a respiratory virus, extremely transmissible , high viral load in every cough or sneeze , especially Delta which has an R0 of 8 to 9 , unrestricted , close to that of the extremely transmissible chicken pox .

You never seek to look any further at those countries with large case numbers and deaths . Just facile blanket statements .

The fact that they did not implement lockdowns when others did or that they may have older or more susceptible populations who were affected, poorer health care systems , or that they have not vaccinated their population in time or at all does not get a look in with you and your fans .

The reason why Sweden is often compared ( unfavourable , as it happens) to Norway is because they are similar in culture healthcare and demographics so a good match in every sense .

Sorry if that does not suit your agenda .

They’ll need to look at boosters. They’re probably amongst the first ppl vaccinated and they’re also very likely to be all vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Not even surprised by it tbh. I've been waiting since march 2020 for an appointment in the Mater to be rescheduled, last heard from them in may 2020. 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

You'd think at this stage of our vaccination programme, there'd be good news left right and centre but it's all pessimism from the media, the govt. and regular folk.

Disheartening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Micheal Martin: "All the people I meet are happy with our progress"

Tone. Deaf.

• Advertisement

If the health system isn’t sorted here, it’s going to have serious consequences for the economy. This is essential, basic infrastructure and it’s also somehow costing the same as very highly functioning Western European health systems. Something doesn’t add up.

Numbers back up.as predictions of so called easing of restrictions starts Tony pulls out a nice little backlog to keep the **** show going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The UK has 6739 in hospital. 909 in ICU.

They have 13.6 times the population we have.

So dividing by 13.6 you get 496 in hospital. 67 in ICU.

Our figs today.

244 in hospital. 52 in ICU.

Given they have less vaccinated I think our remaining restrictions aren't needed.

Given the fact that we are a few weeks behind them peakwise , and that ICU figures lag by a week or two you can take it , going by your maths , that our situation is going to get worse in the next few weeks before it gets better then .

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Don't know where we go from here

85% fully vaxxed now, getting to 90-95% will make no difference and the virus will keep getting better and better at evading vaccine's.

The UK today had more cases than vaccinated doses given out, truly diminishing returns, we are a month away from that in adults.

This is as good as it gets imo until new vaccine's are released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I believe the ICU figures in the UK are just ventilated patients.

On the deletion, save it as a draft , then delete the draft by going into your profile . Otherwise that quote will come back again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Laurenf35

Booster

O

O

S

T

E

R

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I heard he's deliberately going around coughing on people to make them sick so he gets to stay on the telly.

Actually drink accounts for the highest cost in health and healthcare atm .

It’s really panning out just as I and many others predicted early in the year. Severely restricted hospitality only getting going in late July and now “the schools” popping back up again as an excuse that will be followed by the winter arguments.

Ive yet to see a single hint from Government on when they think restrictions will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

The way I see it theyll open up the remaining industries that are closed plus a phased return to offices over September October keeping Masks and social distancing in place possibly into the new year. Personal responsibilty seems to be the new buzzwords, that will fail miserably as usual and there just hoping the vaccines and booster program keeps everything from going horribly off the rails in the meantime.

Shin

12 % asymptomatic relates mainly to those who have contracted it in hospital .

Other have tested positive either on admission with something else or have been admitted sick with Covid .

To be clear treatment can range from just paracetamol , anti cough medicine to oxygen steroids and infusions of biologics/ monoclonal antibodies .

Anybody in ICU with a complication of Covid would be very sick and generally require higher end treatment .

I do wish people would stop minimising numbers of infections .

ICU numbers may seem like they have only gone up a little but they have doubled in a week .

Next week we will start to see the effects of the very large case numbers ending up in ICU .

While less are getting severe illness there is still a correlation between numbers infected in the community and one or two weeks later numbers in ICU .

As has been said before this is going to continue beyond vaccination but once as many as humanly possible vaccinated it should stabilise and gradually decrease .

At least that is what is hoped for but nothing set in stone as we have found unfortunately over the last 18months with this virus .

One thing I do think is all the pessimism surrounding NPHET and MM/ Leo 's pronouncements is head wrecking!

I cannot see any more overwhelming of the health service with a population as well vaccinated as ours so I don't see restrictions going forward , beyond September/ October , except for mask wearing in crowded indoor areas or distancing and handwashing.

I think vaccine passports have a place because of those unvaccinated unfortunately are still a risk to others as well as themselves , indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I know this post is from about 5 hours ago but I felt I needed to highlight something that hasn't been yet.

Just because 89% of hospital cases have symptoms doesn't mean they are being treated for Covid. If someone if hospital for whatever reason and happens to have covid and there only covid symptom is a bit of a cough or a runny nose they're in the 89%. The HSE won't tell is how many are actually being treated for Covid. They released it this way knowing people would assume 89% are being treated for Covid but its not true and was intentionally misleading.

If they can tell us how many have symptoms they can just as easy tell us how many are being treated for Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is depressing how predictable this all is, its happening exactly as many people said it would.

Delay reopening until the schools become the reason to stay restricted, who could possibly have predicted that.

This country is being played for chumps.

For those that have thanked this post I advise that you read the study critically yourselves and ask these questions ...

What was the main difference between vaccine tollout in the UK versus Ireland ? ( vaccines, dose intervals) .

Why is this poster picking one particular aspect of one statistical graph with no reference thereafter to either the rest of the data on that graph ( ie differing outcomes for those in the 18 to 34 age group) the multiple pages of the study , that clearly don't suit his agenda ?

The takeaway from this study is as we have already heard that VE starts to wane at 4 to 5 months after 2nd dose but still prevents serious disease and death in the vast majority of those immunised .

One important factor that most of these studies do not measure is memory b cells and t cell immunity .

It is very likely that even a mild or asymptomatic infection along with vaccination may trigger long lasting immunity to the virus and future variants , never mind boosters . Look at the graph on the same page as the poster has quoted with data from those vaccinated with a prior infection . Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Going off the rails with over 80% of population vaccinated? We are already off the f... rails if take into consideration our heavily restricted society and life in the rest of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not clear that will happen at all, as we rapidly draw closer to 90% of adults. Part of the assumption in that is that the relationship between cases and ICU rates will stay the same. For full population comparison they are only at 61% whereas we are at 64% and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Go on then, what's the end game if you're right?

As I said " going by " his " maths " ! Never my strong point

But I do think at the rate we are going we will hit 100 or over in ICU before we come out of this wave .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Why is this poster picking one particular aspect of one statistical graph with no reference thereafter to either the rest of the data on that graph ( ie differing outcomes for those in the 18 to 34 age group)

Pretty simple, because 18-34 are at near zero risk unvaccinated compared to 65 year olds. Why would you instead focus on 18 year olds? That's ridiculous

One important factor that most of these studies do not measure is memory b cells and t cell immunity .

This is a longitudinal study that collates information from people who present with symptoms, so implicitly it accounts for long term immunity

It is very likely that even a mild or asymptomatic infection along with vaccination may trigger long lasting immunity to the virus and future variants , never mind boosters . Look at the graph on the same page as the poster has quoted with data from those vaccinated with a prior infection . Very interesting.

Obviously. I pointed this out in my point ("Vaccines are extremely effective in people who were infected at some point prior to vaccination"). It is also obvious that asymptomatic or mild infection without vaccination will also trigger long lasting immunity to the virus and future variants

For those that have thanked this post I advise that you read the study critically yourselves 

Please do read the study, everyone

that clearly don't suit his agenda ?

Have no agenda, I advised people to get vaccinated in the post you reply to

50 in ICU and 2000 cases a day. I think we are doing quite well to be honest.

We can't shut down the country again because of vulnerable people.

Just have to get on with it now and if people have to die, they have to die.

I know that sounds morbid but that's the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm of the view that we may be flattening or certainly growing more slowly and I'd be quite surprised to see 100 in ICU.

• Advertisement

Fair enough . Have to say I was so busy looking at the study to see where you had found the 2 month waning that that got missed, apologies so .

Edit have reread your post again and can't find encouragement for vaccination really there , so I think you need to clarify that .

On the graph there is obviously going to be more risk of breakthrough infection for the oldest in the group which will skew the data for the younger ones .

Don't know why they didn't just keep it separate for each age group. That would make a lot more sense , no conflation.

No , it is not obvious that without vaccination , asymptomatic infection will provide immunity for variants, but with vaccination has been shown to be the most effective .

There has been a study published a while ago that does indeed show that vaccination in those previously infected does appear to provide very long lasting immunity . Not a reason to go out and become infected but would be of hope to those concerned about a possible mild breakthrough infection post vaccination .

I am also just pointing out the fact that this UK study among others still does not take into account long term immunity of tcells and memory b cells . Until they do along with antibodies , we will all be anxiously waiting and wondering to see what happens next .

Good read though , thank you for posting .

Advertisement