Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made to work without a break!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sure why not, it's not as if they need you in the future since you are leaving.... screw around with you for a while as a result of this and then pay up before it goes to the legal situation. If it's really worth spending your final few weeks plus a few more in conflict go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP this is a twelve hour shift how many hours are you paid for. These are the breaks during working hours.

I think you approached this l wrong from the start. You need to know how many hours you are paid for in the day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I worked in security doing these kinds of roles and shifts, and I know plenty of people who still work in it. This is extremely common behaviour in the job, especially if you're working alone on a site. On numerous occasions I was left waiting around for a mobile patrol van to show up to cover me for my lunch breaks, eventually I just got sick of it and would drive to the nearest shop to grab food and then come back. I'd always tell the site manager and they rarely gave a crap and understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The employer could halve the OP's salary and employ another gate-opener with the savings. The two of them can sit in the tin hut looking at one another while waiting for a lorry. At least the breaks would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

I did this job on a site before. I was only a labourer and the gate man was like yourself, complaining about his "entitlements" even though 90% of his day was spent doing nothing. The other 10% was opening and closing the barrier.

Eventually, the boss got so sick of him complaining, he gave me the job and the gate man was put labouring where he got his breaks on time, every time. He lasted 2 weeks before packing it in and I kept the handy number on the gate.

You come across as extremely naive and childish. Doing the gate to a site is one of the most handy jobs you'll ever work and you're whining about it.

Best of luck if you ever get a job that requires some effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Except that would waste their time too. The branch manager would have to reveal her petty nature to the pay roll staff. And this company already wasted both our time when it's come to a previous pay issue I've had with this company.

It's also one of the most degrading jobs! It's as if the reason the barrier doesn't have a motor is because it makes the worker feel more degraded.

You obviously worked it before the covid paper work came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can you explain how its degrading? I didnt feel it was degrading at all tbh.

Yes, I worked it before covid but I'm now a delivery driver delivering to building sites so I have lots of interaction with security and gate men. And they all have a good system for their "paper work".

It's a couple of questions before they open the gate. Have you had covid. Have you been in contact with anyone that has had it. Have you been abroad recently. Have you had to isolate recently.

All fairly standard stuff and I've never been held up at the gate for more than 2mins.

You seem to be creating issues where there are none now.

It's the lifting part of it that's sort of degrading. If the gate had a motor then maybe it wouldn't be. I know for a fact that the old timers at the security won't work it as they consider themselves above it.

There's probably a bit more to why I would find it degrading... in that I have a masters degree in one of the biosciences and was unsuccessful finding work with it. The very pharmaceutical company that I've been lifting the gate for, is the only one who never responded to any of my job applications over the years. And now here I am lifting the barrier for people that I am technically more qualified than.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You might not be as qualified and desirable as you believe to be if this is the only job you could get.

Good luck out there in the real world, you’ll come across more barriers than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

LOL. I suppose firemen as shouldn't be paid unless they are attending a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Not at all. "Attending a fire" . Nope, they should only be paid while squirting water on it.

Dang, where's the smilies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

On the one hand, the company is looking for a free ride when it comes to providing lunch break cover. But on the other hand, with the relatively undemanding nature of the job, isn't it just "swings and roundabouts" really. Found myself in similar situations over the years, but on balance it seemed to come out in my favour. But, having left school at 16, a couple of dead end jobs was a great encouragement to do some night school and move on (while still getting a wage - winner!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

So you’re leaving in 3 weeks anyway, and you’ve a chip on your shoulder about this company. Unless you have a job secured in a completely unrelated field, I’d say suck it up. If you’re moving to a job where you’ll ever need this company as a reference, don’t shoot yourself in the foot for the sake of 3 weeks.

Why do you think you couldn’t secure a job anywhere connected with your Masters? Do others have more relevant qualifications? Do you think that you displayed a good attitude at your interviews? Is your CV well done and succinct? Do you come across as positive or as obstructive?

Unfortunately sometimes companies don’t reply to candidates who won’t be getting an interview. It’s not nice, or polite, but it happens - and isn’t unique to this company.

You can choose to call it degrading, but really, you’re looking down on those you believe to be less qualified than you. That’s not a nice attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

It also depends on whether there is sufficient staff cover available to allow you to take a break.

Advertisement