Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

Hi,

right size inverter question:

if I understand it correctly,

the power rates of the panels are DC rates (peak rates actually), the inverter rates are for output AC (or are they?).

What size of the inverter should be installed for 4kW solar array ?

Should "Recommended max. PV power" exceed theoretical 4kW of solar ?

I understand here in Ireland we don't get the full sun, but when we do (once in decade) would it not be dangerous to have undersized inverter ?

ps: i am maxing out the roof space (S-SE), so there will be no extra panel added in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryans11

So, in fact, the inverter is oversized it has a Max 7,500 Wp DC input and a 5kw AC output, reading many forums on this solar journey is seem the industry is preferring to oversize the PV array to the inverter due to the fact the inverters are way more efficient when running close to the max before any inverter clipping starts

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

All very new to me so forgive the stupid questions. Everyday is a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It's a balancing game. If the inverter is undersized relative to the array - and I am talking max theo DC output vs AC output only - then you get higher efficiency in the operating curve but suffer from clipping. Most inverters these days have an almost flat efficiency curve after 15-20% so this is only applicable below 20% rated max. So if you have a 5kW inverter you are inefficient below 1000W and if you have a 6kW inverter you are inefficient below 1200W. The increased efficiency helps in the winter when you wouldn't be producing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Been waiting since Mid-May for SaaS to install. First said Mid July, then early August, then they would give a date next week, which turned out to be instead of a date, "in the next couple of weeks". Got fed up and started shopping around and looking for a bigger system.

This was the quote I have gone for now (from an outfit in Enniskillen with a persons name in the company title) and it will be installed in 2-3 weeks, not 3-4 months.

14 JA 345w panels and 4 optimizers - 4.8KW

Solis 5KW Hybrid invertor with wifi

5KW Battery

Eddi water diverter

No BER.

€6,870 Net after grant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Or the cloudy days, less that optimal angle/direction.

I have an oversized array 8.6kw panels, 6kw inverter, and only noticed clipping in may and June, didn't get any clipping in the good weather in July because it was so hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

That's a good price, since it includes 2 batteries. You won't be disappointed. Ken and the lads are a genuine bunch of guys and you won't regret going with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭E30M3

+1. Installed just over a year and happy with Job and support received.

Looks like a pretty decent price. Also ask how much you will get off with only one battery instead of two - assuming these are pylontechs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm willing to bet these aren't Pylontechs. Likely a single 5kw battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

They are quoting Pure Drive 5kw batteries, also got quoted from them with that battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 didser

Did anybody here actually go through the planning permission process? I found the planning form but I need OSI images and the like. No idea what's involved. Anybody have any pointers?

Nobody here bothered with planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Don't think planning permission is required for residential installations. You have some constraints I believe that you have to adhere to, such as you can't panel more than 50% of the roof, you can't be too close to the side of the roof or the apex of the building, and I think there was a limit of 12m2 but as long as you adhere to that (which I'm sure all the providers/installer would be aware of) I think it's a sort of a "have at it".

Technically planning permission is required for an installation over 12m2 or 50% but after than court case I doubt any council would bring a case forward unless you are being egregiously in your face or live in a listed building. The installers ignore these guidelines but generally don't ignore the SEAI grant requirements of distance of panels from the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Don't worry about it and move on. I would be surprised if anyone here has.

On less you have pissed off some locals, forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

IF I have it right, the existing regulation S.I. No. 83/2007 - Planning and Development Regulations 2007.

CLASS 2 (c) The installation or erection of a solar panel on, or within the curtilage of a house, or any buildings within the curtilage of a house.

1. The total aperture area of any such panel, taken together with any other such panel previously placed on or within the said curtilage, shall not exceed 12 square metres or 50% of the total roof area, whichever is the lesser.

2. The distance between the plane of the wall or a pitched roof and the panel shall not exceed 15 centimetres.

3. The distance between the plane of a flat roof and the panel shall not exceed 50 centimetres.

4. The solar panel shall be a minimum of 50cm from any edge of the wall or roof on which it is mounted.

5. The height of a free-standing solar array shall not exceed 2 metres, at its highest point, above ground level.

6. A free-standing solar array shall not be placed on or forward of the front wall of a house.

7. The erection of any free standing solar array shall not reduce the area of private open space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

There is a bill going through the Oireachtas at the moment "Planning and Development (Solar Panels for Public Buildings, Schools, Homes and Other Premises) (Amendment) Bill 2021" which states:

Amendment of Part 1 of Schedule 2

2. Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Regulations is amended—

(a) by the deletion of Class 2 (c) 1, and

(b) by the substitution of “4 metres” for “2 metres” in Class 2 (c) 5.

If passed, this will remove the "12 sq metres or 50%" rule and increases the size of free standing panels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm at 36m2, front and back roof virtually full, not in the slightest worried

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well I'm on 20 panels on a 3 bed bungalow so far not a word. Still room for 6 more, soon I hope.

Are Q Cell Q-Peak Duo G5 325w a good price at €92 inc. vat and are they a good panel? Will make a few calls on Monday to get further details.

• Advertisement

was thinking as much really as I can't find anything close pricewise, it may swing me back to a DIY route so will put some numbers together and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

can i get a recommendation for solar as a service provider.

😎

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Quote received;

...and seems quite high compared to what others are seeing..... might give the guys in Enniskillen a call..

8x 400w panels (awaiting specs) to give a ~3.2kW system

3kW Solis hybrid inverter

2.4kWh battery

hot water diverter

€10,000 (€7,300 after grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ouch.

I paid 5200 for 3.24 kW (9x360)before grant.

No battery or diverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, I just rang the crowd in Enniskillen and went through it over the phone...

He offered 12 panels/4kW system (roof has 3 sides that can take the panels, so previous guy who was here said I'd easily fit 12 panels)

5kW Solis hybrid inverter

5kW battery

eddi water heater

€10k (€7 after grants)

the guy that was here offered the above 4kW system and 5kW battery for €13k (€10k after grant)

Its good but I think it can be bettered. Where are you located.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

Its Better than what they quoted me

4KW 340 WATT 12 PANELS JA SOLAR  25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

4KW BATTERY 

3.6 HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

EDDI WATER DIVERTER.

WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE 10500 EUROS INC.VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

My neighbour has enquired over the last 2 years or so, on and off about different aspects of my system and also about my ID3. This morning he tells me that he is getting a system installed in the next while, no installation date yet, 7 panels, €7 f***ing grand.!!! Oh yeah, it's the crowd with the 8 in the name.

What a shower of absolute robbin' c***s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement