Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

People can see that you are misrepresenting the argument. I have no idea how you expect to convince anyone with this nonsense. You can randomly insist you are right but it doesn't change the fact that you seem to be conflating tearing down the statue as a form of protest with getting a statue removed through legitimate means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Share the whole article, otherwise, you are in no position to dictate what conclusions the survey drew because its inherently veiled. While just going by the headline and opening paragraphs, the language is pretty clear if read objectively. That what Black Britons object to was vandalism as a means of legitimate protest. Unless the article says otherwise within its depths, in which case - see the original point: share it so we can all review the data and language of the survey.

Read it again, think about it slowly: "Only one in six black British people believe that tearing down statues is a legitimate form of protest, a poll shows." That doesn't say the objection is to the removal of the statue, only the violent removal by a mob.

But then, nice segue. Who cares about racism? Black people! Yeah but look, they don't like chucking statues in the sea, ego they don't see the statues as racist.

It's like grasping smoke.

Except the UK public support removing the statue, just not the way it was done. They're also not likely to be aware of the fact that a plaque describing the fact he was a slave trader was rejected by the council. It was the fact that such solutions were rejected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I found this poll here which states that 53% of people approve of the statue being removed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not about convincing anyone. It's about shutting down dissent by poisoning the debate. You see it when he waffles about people hating Britain or black people being Edward Colston fans or whatever segue it'll be next.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is the exact same poll Eskimo shared as proof people didn't want the statue removed.

The conflation and wilful / ignorant misreading of the data and facts presented is just exasperating at this stage. There's no debate with goalpost trolling mixed with an inability to read numbers.

A majority disagree with statues being criminally removed, is a far more accurate interpretation.

83% of black Britons also agree that criminally taking down statues is totally wrong, too.

Nobody is arguing against the removal of statues. But the argument is that if statues are to be removed, it should be done through peaceful and democratic means and not by allowing a bunch of mindless, unemployed losers to unilaterally do as they wish, whose raison d'etre in life is to be perpetually offended by absolutely everything in society.

If a council disapproves of removing the statue via democratic means, this cannot be taken as carte blanche for criminality. Go down that route and bedlam reigns supreme.

Poor mite, cause all protest was entirely peaceful in history? Worth remembering that suffragettes were viewed similarly to how you're describing the people who tore it down. Also the reality is that the council wanted to whitewash history but you don't want to discuss that...

Instead it's you going on inane rants about "jobless losers". It's almost as if you just want to pretend that there's no legitimate issues with how the British view their history.

You cannot possibly compare the rights of women, who didn't even have the vote, to criminally tearing down statues - which has no bearing on anyone's rights in 2021.

The existence of the statue simply hurts the feelings of a minority of social extremists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

You really should read the rest of the articles you post and not should soundbites that suit your narrative.

Researchers found that 58 per cent of people from black British backgrounds believed the UK was racist, double the 29 per cent of the general population.

• Advertisement

I'm pointing out the fact that historically protest is neither lawful or peaceful much of time.

You're still not willing to discuss the fact that the council was unwilling to describe his role as a slave trader. You're ignoring the fact that the majority of the public actually favour taking down the statue, just not the way it was fine. Instead you're getting offended by the statue coming down. Eg you have no desire to discuss the British relationship with its history of empire which invariably whitewashes rather than viewing it critically.

Instead you want Farage chatting about how they were always great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Thanks for that and all, but I can't be the only one who read through the entire thing in a lifp lisp.

Honestly the goal posts move so much I'd seriously doubt the original point is even remembered. Beyond as you say, the continuous Farage hagiography. I suspect Farage himself would fail a basic test of his own nations history, if he's so allergic to any degree of critical analysis.

I find it hard to respect the intellectually incurious, or the stubborn zealotry of brazen antipathy. Nationhood is a flexible, shifting concept and anyone who did read history would understand this. Those who think history just "stops" past a certain year will be washed away by events they will never understand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They didn't and you know that. The comparison is the fact that both the suffragettes and BLM were and are movements for change. The existence of the statue is a veneration of Colston and his exploitation of many tens of thousands of people. Had modern conservatism not drank so much from the chalice of ethnic nationalism, it could have remained with some form of compromise but it did and the statue had to go.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I should say at this point that as the person who actually mentioned that damned statue in Bristol: apologies for causing this latest round of "But actually...". I had a hunch it was going to go in this direction, 'cos the vandalism of the statue is a life-ring beloved of those who'd rather attack the frustrated, than criticise the target of said frustration. A common response to any moral or social challenge; attack the protestors, create an absolutist position rather than address the root cause.

I see a concert venue in Bristol was renamed from the Colston Hall to the Bristol Beacon. At the risk of egging-on, I wonder if that also counts as "whitewashing history", given it's a cultural venue n' all. Or is it just those otherwise pompous statues that are particular golden cows?

There just isn't that much outrage to be gained from showing someone signing a form. Once the statue was toppled, I'd say there wasn't much more to gain from it. Funnily enough, the perpetually outraged were completely silent when Tommy Robinson and his band of master race specimens turned up en masse to Whitehall to get drunk, assault police officers and urinated on murdered PC Keith Palmer's memorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Homosexuality was also a medical diagnosis back in the day, you have no issue using that word do you? Yet you support Widdecombe with her shìtty beliefs 🤷‍♂️🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Great post, I had to google what "hagiography" means so you even expanded my vocabulary.

Every day is a school day...

EH would probably say the IRA shouldn't have blown up Nelsons Column in Dublin and instead the people should have stood around it singing come by ya.

If you want to compare an armed terrorist group to BLM, that's well within your scope of rights.

If I practise what I preach and remember my own history correctly ... I believe the Irish Army did more damage demolishing the Column than the IRA caused. The controlled demolition blew out a bunch of windows on O'Connell street, whereas the actual bomb itself was placed at the top, the explosion simply blasting into the fresh air.

Poor analogy though, don't feed the victim complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've always loved the story that the army caused more damage blowing up the stump but unfortunately it isn't true.

Are you saying Reeling in the Years lied to me? Mainstream media lies again! 🤣

• Advertisement

On GB News last night, Farage remarked that he was concerned about the potential "migrant train" heading from Afghanistan to Europe, and that terrorist forces may "seed Afghan fighters" into this train for mass attacks on European soil. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, I suppose, because several ISIS fighters posed as asylum seekers in France; and the 2016 Dusseldorf terrorist plot (that was ultimately foiled) had 3 registered Syrian refugees in Germany.

More scaremongering from Farage, appealing to his low I.Q neanderthal supporters would believe in that shìte.

Definitely not racist. Repeat, definitely not racist, but the Afghan refugees may be terrorists.

Did Farage have a piece on the Plymouth shootings this week? Given his concern with "terrorism".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58207064

• Advertisement

Incels don't have a political motivation though, and that's what differentiates them from classical terrorists.

I don't know much about incels, to be perfectly honest, but they come across as a group of highly unattractive nihilistic misanthropes that turn to violence as an answer for their own inadequacies and failures in life.

On the white/brown point, I'm not sure it's valid. I mean, Farage often refers to IRA terrorism and, as far as I'm aware, IRA terrorists are not black or brown people.

1) What was the last IRA terrorism incident that Farage dealt with on his news programme?

2) Do you think that Farage would have covered the Plymouth shooting if the perpetrator was muslim or god forbid an economic migrant?

Terrorism is terrorism though; drawing distinction about "Classical" terrorism only adheres to the suspicion that this is a hitjob against either ethnicity or nationality, be they muslim terrorists or Irish ones. Confirming inklings that when a white person guns down the public, it's merely an "incident". What went down in Plymouth was terrorism plain and simple, albeit from a demographic that (for now) mills around as a broadly decentralised, mostly toothless cadre of ... I dunno; disenfranchised, angry white men. For the time being there's no specific political angle within their creed, though some adjacent groups like the Proud Boys in America are proto-fascists IMO.

You'll correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware the IRA decommissioned in 2005 and no such terrorist incidents have occurred since Farage began less than a month ago on GB News.

On your second question, yes, Farage absolutely would have covered an Islamist terrorist attack in Plymouth because such an attack would be politically-motivated.

Terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So you are saying that Farage doesn't care about anything that doesn't have a "political" angle.

So , because the Plymouth perpetrators motivation was hatred of Women , Farage doesn't give a damn about it and feels it's not "Newsworthy" ??

So GB News isn't even a pretend News Channel , it's literally just a right wing Party Political broadcast...

You don't think the reason for no mention has anything to do with the fact that the guy wasn't brown?

Because I think I can be pretty damn certain that if it was a brown Incel that committed one of the largest mass murder events in UK History, Farage would have been ALL over it.

Yes, yet you claim Farage talks about IRA terrorism so he cant be racist. I wonder when Farage talked about IRA terrorism. He certainly wasnt concerned when championing a brexit that could still lead to a hard border in Ireland. But he is definitely not a racist.

How would a muslim killing his family and himself be politically motivated? when a white man does it, its not? Maybe you are assuming like Farage does that all muslims are terrorists? Again, definitely not a racist.

So hateful ideologies are fine as long as the adherents are white? It shouldn't be that easy to judge something so harshly and get it right but the hypocrisy is still galling. The incel thing is wrapped up in the hateful nonsense and conspiracy theories spouted by various rightwing figures so it's no surprise to see Farage turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

On your second question, yes, Farage absolutely would have covered an Islamist terrorist attack in Plymouth because such an attack would be politically-motivated.

No-one said in the hypothetical that the Muslim killer's motivation, just that he was Muslim and/or an economic migrant. That was the only change inferred in the hypothetical.

Why do you assume if a Muslim person kills people it's therefore politically motivated?

EskimoHunt knows that it's not trying to be a source for unbiased reporting.

If you think muslims are potential terrorists, you'll find plenty to agree with. Don't expect a counter argument.

• Advertisement

Above, a poster argued that "terrorism is terrorism", as if to argue that terrorism is simply the act of killing people. To argue that is to rob the meaning of terrorism, which is the act of deploying violence against civilians for political purposes. Unfortunately, this also reminds me of Mrs. May's oft-repeated banality that "Brexit is Brexit", without actually telling us what her definition of Brexit was.

Now, it may well turn out that this chap had political intentions. Should the evidence for this manifest, then we should re-classify the crime as terrorism. Until then, we must simply describe it for what it is; an act of mass murder by a demented nihilistic misanthrope. I'm not in favour of describing these idiots as "mentally ill" either, because that implies, by contrast, that bog-standard terrorists are somehow mentally stable.

But, as I've said, Farage has on many occasions referred to and condemned the IRA, often in excoriating language. If Farage was only interested in black and brown-based terrorism, he wouldn't ever mention the IRA. Should there be a recrudescence of IRA terrorism, I'm more than confident that Farage will have his say. To constantly refer back to skin colour is simply unhelpful. Terrorism has a definition - and this definition has nothing to do with the quantity of eumelanin found in someone's skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Calvin Robinson was on last night, he seems to be a very articulate, rational and sensible person.

Its awful to see race baiters and critical race theory grifters attacking him, but they reveal their true nature in doing so.

Andrew Neil on Farage tonight discussing the US and Afghanistan.

Should be a good show, viewing figures never been higher on YouTube Live as they are now.

Andrew Neil hasn't left GB News after all!

Really? Less than 2500 🤣

"viewing figures never been higher on YouTube Live as they are now."

We've seen some of that kind of racism on this thread, where black people with "the wrong opinions" (i.e. conservative views) were referred to as Quislings.

Can you quote the posts where this has happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would like to see them too, because it's not at all how I recall Quisling being mentioned.

He's absolutely lying, the term hasn't been uttered on the site since early 2020. First time mentioned in thread.

are they still going on about YT viewers? Blimey.

• Advertisement

He's like Trump

"We have the best numbers

Huge numbers

Bigly numbers but youtube are lying, it should be 25,000,000,000 but they have taken the 0's off us, big tech is trying to silence us" 🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement