Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Good value alright and to be fair I think you can work out the roast date.

I used them when i was stuck and they did the job ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

can anyone recommend a place that does tasting sets? Getting my first bean to cup machine delivered next week so would like to have beans on hand to start off with...

If you are getting your first machine you would be as well working through say a kilo at a time.

Initially dialing in can take time - so you could waste most of a 250g bag, also once dialed in minor adjustments will allow you to really get the best from your coffee. Stopping shots slightly earlier or later etc. will impact flavor.

I would recommend espresso blends - they are slightly easier to dial in than single origin in general. plenty of roasteries do blends for between 20-30 per Kg.

Once you have the hang of it then move on to tasting lots, no point trying new beans until you know you are getting somewhere close to the mark in general.

Ponaire, Bell Lane, McCabes, Cloud Picker, 3FE, Ariosa etc. will all do Kg bags delivered with good roast dates (Cloudpicker Formation for my milk based drinks)

Just back in the office and after 18months drinking only good stuff I am loath to return to the crap called coffee in here..

So got me an aeropress, usually I am more espresso or get the chemex out. Was wondering if anyone has any advice for the aeropress??

Bean suggestions, tips/tricks, grind setting etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheCKid

You can play around for ages, standard vs inverted etc, all kinds of recipes etc but I just use James Hoffman's ultimate method these days. Least amount of effort for most consistent cup imo, especially if you want something easy to make in work.

The whole series he did on the Aeropress is worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Would add Coffee Angel to this list, especially if you are in Dublin. While they don’t roast their own (Bailie’s in Belfast do the roasting), the roast date will never be more than a 1 week or 2 old. Forsa Gala is their espresso blend and I reliably get a great shot from it. The winner for me is that they do their own delivery, and deliver same day in Dublin. So you’re not at the mercy of Fastway and the like…and you’re never without coffee for too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I would like to throw Art of Coffee from Carrick-on-Shannon in to the mix here (www.artofcoffee.ie).

Their 'Smooth' blend is a thing of beauty and and my go to coffee the last 6 or so months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

New Kid Coffee. Roasted in Donegal

https://www.newkidcoffee.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Fusion Blend is also a great cup especially an americano first thing in morning

Really enjoy the Bourbon Manizales blend you recommended. Very easy to dial in. Waiting till its finished and Ill start on the High Tide blend. Would order again from Dreambeans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Glad to hear it! Ive been meaning to try the High tide next too. Have to say the Dream beans service is excellent, very quick and v freshly roasted. Only downside is Fast way couriers!

Hadn't a problem with Fastway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

New roaster in Limerick

Haven't had a chance to buy yet but nice to support local business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Velo have some interesting new coffees from Malawi and Galapagos islands just arrived!! Zambia and Mexico too.

https://velocoffee.ie/collections/coffee-beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Those Vello prices are eye watering. Eyeballing it, I'd say the average price on that page is probably around €11.50 per 225g bag, which is €51.11 per kg.

For balance their prices for small bags are broadly in line with a lot of other Irish roasters e.g. 3FE, PS coffee roasters, Bear market etc.

I know, which is why I tend not to buy locally unless a large discount is being offered. At those Vello prices, my last 3.5 Kg order would have been €86.39 more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

Does anyone here ever buy from The Old Barracks in tipp?

Their prices are always a bit on the higher side which just about puts me off trying them. They also seem to just stick to themselves, none of the coffee shops I follow on Instagram ever use their beans as guest roasters etc. They just seem like a curious company to me.

Given where they are, I suspect they are basically an expensive tourist trap coffee shop that decided to do some roasting on the side to add some artisan smell cred on the side (pre covid of course) and don't really care about generating income from roasting. They are literally 10min down the road, but their prices aren't for me when Ponaire is another 15min past them.

I remember a poster or two raving about them previously but I agree they are pricey!!

TBh, I am really loving WCC at the moment with my subscription which is great value for 1kg per rmonth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

being a newbie, I've nothing to compare to, but I got a small bag of Brazilian and House blend to try out. They gave a few samples too.

Brazilian is lovely. Haven't tried the others yet.

curious is right - it's an adult only cafe. Busy enough anytime I've been there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheCKid

I got gifted some as a present. Had their Guji Ethiopian. It was nice, they are well packaged and provide a card with tasting notes and information but wasn't enough to justify the extra €3 or €4 per 250g.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I placed a large order with Maher's during the week, just to try them out. I was tempted to try their Jamaican Blue Mountain, more as a one-off than anything else, but everything I've read suggests to me that it is the relative lack of supply that create the higher price, more than anything else.

I've observed that it also seems to be a "go to" recommendation of many Americans who consider themselves into coffee. It kind of reminded me of working in a bar in NY, where I'd meet American whisky fans who were adamant that there was no better whisky than Johnny Walker Blue Label, and it was pretty much all they would consider drinking, all evidence to the contrary that there were other good options out there.

Well, the Mahers order arrived.

I was disappointed to see the roast dates for the four bags I ordered ranged between 3/8 and 16/8. I emailed them and told them so, and said it would put me off in future as other Irish roasters had shipped coffee roasted within a week of the order at most.

In fairness, they came back immediately and said they would ship something else, I’ll be curious to see what will arrive. If it’s a replacement of the order I’m not sure what I would do with all that coffee to be honest.

Anyone think I was wrong to raise it with them? To me my expectations are for a much more recent roast date. A bag I got in Lidl today had a roast date of 13/8 which was more than a week fresher than some of what Mahers shipped.

Can I suggest that when the freshly roasted stuff arrives, take out 20g or so of beans and seal them in something airtight, and put the rest in the freezer. In a months time, take the beans out of the freezer and get someone else to make two cups of coffee, one with the frozen beans and one from the 20g stored at room temperature, not telling you which is which. If you can taste a difference that turns out to be in favour of the frozen beans, you will know whether you should be fussed or not.

I think you are certainly entitled to feed back, and I wouldn't be happy either when I know there are roasters that can get it to you in a couple of days. If they are going to say "we are passionate about the quality and freshness of our beans." on their website then they need to be willing to back that up imo or be more transparent that roast dates will be in the 1-4 week range or whatever.

Was the roast dates on the Jamaican Blue Mountain blend over a month?

I didn't order the Jamaican Blue Mountain in the end, I just wasn't convinced it was worth it.

I will probably do it eventually, or try a cup somewhere if I saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I was buying from Mahers for a few months, then they got last with the roast dates and I didn't want the stale stuff they sent me, they sent out fresh stuff and I gave away the other stuff, they did it again, I just asked them for a refund and haven't gone back since-it's a pity, the prices were ok and the service was good, but I want as fresh beans as possible, whether it's in my head or not, it doesn't matter, I'm buying them, and I have the expectation of fresh-the same thing happened with Killarney roasters. I stopped buying from them as well.

• Advertisement

The replacement coffee Maher's shipped me arrived yesterday morning, seems to have been expedited. It's the same range of coffees I chose, except the roast dates on these bags are all within the last week or so.

This is what I would have hoped for first time around, so certainly can't fault them here. I'm now with something of a surplus of coffee in the house.

Would I order again from them? Their pricing is good, and the customer service was good in this instance, but perhaps it's necessary to stipulate you're looking for recently roasted beans if ordering, to avoid any dissapointment.

Advertisement