Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

All they care about is the bottom line, and they as good as said that it was affecting the business financially by us working from home....makes no sense, same job being done regardless of being at home or in the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Our office pushed out from the planned staged opening in September, the dreariness of WFH continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Beginning to think the majority of offices won't open this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Facebook have pushed back their return to office, yet again, this time to January 2022, for staff safety reasons, with the exception of a small number of contractors.

Adrian says he would not be surprised if it will be September 2022 before an office return. Spring 2022 seems to be the consensus here right now but if it is a very bad Winter then God knows it will get pushed back again.

Yeah, and it is not just going against government advise, it is sending a message to say that they don't care about their employees health and safety. They will piss employees off, potentially cause outbreaks and cause attrition.

A decision to reopen offices should be based on both government advise and also even when the government allow it then a company needs to make a decision too as to when it is safe. Some US companies seem particularly good at this, and often make detailed safety assessments as to the Covid trajectory, a lot of Irish companies could be better at this.

• Advertisement

My MNC is not going to go against government recommendation, so I’m guessing sometime in the spring for us. (Hopefully 2022!)

Our own global office scoring system allows us back in Dublin (albeit with certain arrangements). But the risk model is overridden by any government advice

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Legal restrictions that prevent employers from finding out the coronavirus vaccine status of employees risk delaying the re-opening of offices and are costing businesses money. This may well become a bigger topic but good to see the mandatory approach is only favoured by about 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Interesting how the protection of people's privacy and health information is described as an "issue" in this article.

Poor American companies that cannot run their business without treating their employees as human beings who have rights. If you survey them, they will also tell you that having 25days holidays is an issue for their business and that people should have 1 or 2 weeks only like in the USA. I am not even talking about the existence of unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is, if school and college students are all broadly back then no reason why office workers in both public & private sectors shouldn't be back in company offices.

The Irish Times article says ..."One of the key barriers is the lack of clarity on how to reconcile health and safety of staff in an indoor setting, GDPR, and vaccination status". Sounds like some companies are worried about liability if there is an outbreak in their office and the health and safety implications of having staff in indoor enclosed high risk settings often with poor ventilation, along with not been able to ask if someone is vaccinated.

Article also says that most businesses now revising return to office plans due to Delta.

Post edited by JTMan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

My employer has no requirement for anyone to be back in this side of Christmas and the plan is then to have people back in on a blended basis going forward. Office will shortly be undergoing a full overhaul to facilitate distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes there is a good reason: mathematics.

Disease spread is roughly proportion to social mixing: the more mixing, the more cases.

Opening schools will lead to more mixing. Delaying Reopening offices will limit the amount.

Individual restrictions don't have to make sense, or be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Individual restrictions don't have to make sense, or be fair.

Not picking on you but I am looking forward to a time when nobody will say this kind of thing ever again!

Me too. A time when people regain their long lost sense of proportionality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Patsy167

It seems any employers forcing a return to the office will risk a revolt from workers...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Easy for PS to tell those who work in private sector just keep WFH might find they have no work to go back to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Yeah, we were told a return would be good for our mental health.

I emailed my CEO and asked what about the mental health of people who don't want to go back to the office i.e. the vast majority.

I'm still awaiting a reply

Wow, only 12% of ECB staff agreed with the the plan to return to the office in October. Many citing health and safety, concerns about too many people together and the Delta wave. ECB staff are mainly well paid smart people, if you can't get ECB staff to agree to return to offices, who can you. The ECB example shows how companies risk revolt if they push return to office plans until the situation is much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can't see any reason why ECB staff shouldn't be back to their desks in their offices soon. We're told that Covid is pretty endemic now and that vaccination prevents serious illness, so reached a point where there's little to be gained by workers staying at home. Of course, some mightn't like that for all sorts of reasons but he who pays the piper, calls the tune.

If you insist on WFH, then the only guarantee of that is to become your own boss.

We're being told that we'll be back in in-line with government announcement dates. But the MD keeps speculating specific dates and putting them in official communications which is problematic for both sides. The ones who are dying to come back are being given false hope and the ones who are dreading it are being filled with dread because the speculating dates are fairly short notice realistically.

Admittedly I'm in the latter camp and would like to be at home until the new year but the sooner this is mapped out officially the better to stop the whispers, and I'll be a good employee and do what I'm told 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

This argument never made sense to me. Sure the company pays employees but only because they do work for them. It isn't like it is a charity case out here. If companies want strong employees then they are going to offer WFH or they are going to pay more than their competitors for their employees. There lies the reason for allowing wfh. Add in the saving on office space and you may end up with the only way to ensure you work from the office is to be self employed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If employers lost 10% of their staff for failing to consult on a WFH policy, they will really struggle to hire employees to make up that 10%, without either changing the policy or offering much higher wages. The market is definitely an employees market at the moment and I think the reason we do not see any companies trying to force people before the end of the year is because they know that it will create a HR headache.

I used 10% as an example as I think that's approximately the figure of employees who would like full time WFH going forward so even a day or two per week would cause them to move jobs. I'm sure I'm not alone as one of the 10% who sees what jobs are out there and is waiting for my employer to bite the bullet and just announce that full time WFH is actually the norm after 18 months of doing it so going back to an office makes no sense. Otherwise I'll be gone and replying to the many LinkedIn jobs available! From the IT article and anecdotal experiences in the sector, insurance seems to be 100% WFH forever with maybe a day a month to come into an office for meetings, sounds like insurance could become an attractive area to work.

I’m

There has been a trend toward WFH for years. I’ve been hybrid working for nearly a decade, and gradually more and more people have been doing so, and company hybrid and WFH policies have been formalised. Covid has not created something new…..it’s just accelerated something that was already underway across many sectors

So, no, there’ll be no return to 100% attendance except in a minority of companies. Probably those without adequate tech. It’s a natural evolution of the way we work

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

very interesting, I'd imagine for workers in that type of job, remote work can be a God-send. remote work is a whole new way of living - here's hoping employers can embrace it.

i note the comments from C.Lagarde arguing against remote. she, however, is 65 and likely to retire in the next couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You'd imagine after Biden's sh1tfest with Afghanistan that our great leaders, public and private, would be far more careful as to how they signal things and not merely pull dates from their collective ar*es...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Update today, a report has been published on the submissions received for the Right to Request Remote Work public consultation

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Submissions-Report-Right-to-Request-Remote-Working.pdf

Only 126 employees responded. A pitifully small number, I've been involved in public consultations for far less important issues that would have gotten similar numbers. If there were to be a public consultation tomorrow on some issue like "De ESB Pylons Causing De Cancer", I'd say it would get much more than 126.

The good thing is that even while the number of employee submissions was low, the number from employers was much lower again. As we live in a democracy, the legislation should in theory be favourable toward an employee POV and if employers don't like it, well they had their chance to make their views known.

Apple have delayed their return to office yet again due to the risk posed by the ongoing covid spread. This time the return to office is scheduled for January 2022 "at the earliest".

Leo interview accompanying the publication;

A real opportunity now exists to make remote and blended working a much bigger part of normal working life, the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Leo Varadkar, has said.

He was speaking at the publication of a report containing the views of the public and stakeholder groups on proposed new legislation on the right to request remote work.

“Introducing a right to request remote working will set out a clear framework to facilitate remote and blended work options, in so far as possible,” he said.

“It will ensure that when an employer declines a request, there are stated reasons for doing so and conversations with workers are taking place in a structured way.”

I think we can all breathe easy and keep the "do they still fit?", suit pants test until early 2022 as WFH guidance won't be changing this year from the government.

Interestingly is the right to request WFH and the obligation for the employer to provide an operational justification for denying it. For those WFH full for the past 17 months, there won't be many "operational" reasons for employers to hang their hat on to get employees back in.

Leo has said that passing the Right to Work From Home legislation is a top priority when the Dáil resumes on 15 September so it will probably become law this year. The wiggle room granted to employers to say no (client facing role, physical work, staff performance issues etc) are very narrow and the employer has to give a stated reason. It will be very interesting to see how many employees put in requests to their HR departments under the new legislation and whether employers embrace the new rules or fight requests.

Regarding the lifting of the WFH guidance, I would not say it is guaranteed that it will be 2022. Different media reports have implied that it would be subject to certain covid criteria been met and other reports this week have said that lifting this guidance is a priority. But in practical terms, many companies have made their own decision and pushed back returns until 2022, given that covid is still rampant and you can't ask if your employees are vaccinated or not many companies view it as unacceptable risk to open, and also even if the government lifts the WFH guidance you can bet that it will be the first guidance to be re-introduced if/when hospitals struggle this Winter. Hence, even if the government says on 31 August, that they will lift WFH guidance at the end of September, practically speaking the vast majority of office workers will not be back until 2022.

• Advertisement

Schools and colleges are rightly the priority for September so it will be a case of waiting a few weeks to see how that goes and make a decision on further removing of restrictions once the data is clear. That will be October but as you say the hospitalisations will start to climb because we're coming into winter so the government will be cautious about telling employers it's okay to pack your employees onto cramped buses and trains to commute to the office!

Advertisement