Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Gardai on the scene said he asked them practically no questions, was acting in an unusual manner"

That there is the one thing that points to his guilt.

I mean , from all their experience with murder scenes in west Cork they would recognise someone acting in an "unusual manner".

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Like I said, no evidence whatsoever to put Bailey at the crime scene, no evidence that he knew the woman, no motive.

There is no significant evidence pointing to Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I know Ian Bailey may very well be guilty - Im not 100% convinced that he is innocent. There is no concrete evidence whatsoever that supports that he is guilty. In fact there is alot of indications to suggest that IB could very well also be a victim in this case - a victim of a Gardai cover up/set up. ( This is something again which you refuse to acknowledge).

There are many good posters on here who are willing to explore and discuss all theories in relation to this case and I enjoy reading what they have to say. Im afraid your inability to discuss any other theories means you add very little to this thread. You keep saying the same thing over and over again even though several posters have discredited what you said or given a reasonable explanation for the event. Its like you have learned off Michael Sheridans book ' Death in December' word for word and thats the only view you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

That specific officer had previous experience dealing with Ian Bailey at a previous fatal incident when a man had fallen off a cliff and IB was there to report on it. He said the behaviour of IB on the two occasions was very different, in the previous case IB was casually dressed and casual in his manner, engaging in conversation and discussing the situation with those present. In the case of Sophie's murder he arrived much more formally dressed, asked almost no questions and engaged in no conversation and then left within minutes of arrival. He said he appeared to be 'acting' as a journalist rather than engaging with them like one. I think he has grounds to form an opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

From the website Koude Kaas, there's an image of what looks like MF's first statement to the guards. She, in fact, describes the man outside her shop as "very tall" and as far as I can tell, there's no other description of his height. Not sure how "very tall" could be construed as short.

Post edited by solasGael on

• Advertisement

The central problem with your point of view is that what you regard as 'discredited' or 'explained' away have in many respects been upheld by the courts and GSOC. The witnesses 'discredited' here were judged to be credible and their evidence accepted after a full hearing and cross-examination. A high court jury ruled there was no evidence IB had been framed, GSOC reported no evidence of corruption, pressuring of witnesses etc.

It's actually amusing to hear boards posters declare they have discredited all these bodies who had far more evidence and oversight, especially when those claiming to have superior understanding and explanations struggle to get even the most basic facts correct. By all means, fire away with thanking yourselves over and over!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The real original or the 'original' that replaced the original?

That seems rather doubtful given that the gardai cant find them...

https://www.thejournal.ie/grave-concern-over-missing-evidence-in-du-plantier-murder-investigation-4161933-Aug2018/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just one more question for you before I ignore you - WHY HAS IB NOT BEEN CHARGED WITH MURDER AND WHY IS HE NOT IN JAIL NOW?

Hilarious considering this is exactly how you have treated the DPP report.

You know the actual body who reviews evidence to bring criminal prosecutions in this state and concluded there was insufficient to charge Bailey despite coming under improper pressure from the Gardai to do so.

And the DPP has thoroughly discredited all the evidence you use to support a case against Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Most gardai are superb. But you do get groups that are corrupt in the manner of their investigation.

And when I say I have personal experience, it is very personal and is subject to current high court proceedings.

So I can absolutely say that you can have corrupt investigation and hell will freeze over before the gardai involved will admit it (almost seems they are conditioned that way)

The gardai in schull were corrupt in their investigation. The DPP as much as said so. Evidence as much as said so and the bantry tapes were the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement

The DPP is the only state party in this that heard no witnesses, saw no cross-examinations and had no ability or requirement to hear any contrary legal argument whatsoever. No one has yet put forward any clear case for either Judge Moran, Judge Hedigan, the high court jury or GSOC being factually incorrect yet we know the DPP report is factually incorrect in several instances.

I have very little confidence in the GSOC report which cites missing evidence, deceased and uncoperative Gardai and expects us to believe it would have been able to discover Garda malpractice unless they were foolish enough not to cover their tracks.

A high court jury ruled on this and rejected it. I do agree there are very clear and well documented cases of garda abuse of the system and corrupt practices but this case has been put under the public microscope like no other and no evidence for 'framing' Bailey has emerged. That's not my opinion, that is the conclusion of both GSOC and the high court.

I can't answer that for you, that is for the DPP to decide. He has been charged and convicted in France, if the posters on this thread were advising him he would have offered a defence and won easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Also, their subtly spun phrase is in fact a concession that he did indeed question them.

Isn't language great Sgt. Ted?

You cited an argument from authority then roll out this hypocrisy.

You 'know' the DPP was wrong.

But you sneered at other posters for knowing better than proper authorities such as GSOC or the libel trial?

Three times the DPP looked at the evidence and concluded Bailey didnt have a case to answer.

The DPP being the proper body in this state for assessing evidence to bring someone to trial.

GSOC and the libel trial were not trying Bailey for murder and in fact the newspapers pointedly settled out of court with Bailey on any hint of him being the actual murderer.

As if the trial in France was anything than a farce.

But if thats your view, I guess you would have advised newspapers not to settle and instead accuse Bailey of being the murderer? They only have to prove it beyond balance of probabilities, not reasonable doubt.

But nope they settled...

Come on I think you know the answer - There is no evidence whatsoever that Ian Bailey is the murderer.

The French trial was a complete joke - a waste of time for all concerned including Sophies poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

It's inexplicable and inexcusable that the man with whom Marie Farrell purported to be travelling with when she sighted IB at KF Bridge on the night of the murder has never been questioned. Surely this should have been considered to have been of the utmost importance to the investigation by the Guards? A witness came forward with a testimony that appeared to implicate IB surely that Guards should have made an effort to corroborate this evidence with testimony from the mystery man in the car? Did he too see IB? Or was his recollection of the KF bridge sighting different? Maybe Marie Farrell was with Stevie Wonder that night and that's why the Guards didn't follow up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's absolutely unbelievable that this person was never identified and questioned. He could have either been a key witness given her potential sighting of a person at the bridge or alternatively he could have been a key suspect. But no, God forbid his family might find out he was playing away from home!

• Advertisement

All of which is circumstantial evidence which would be of limited value in a murder prosecution. A view shared by the DPP. IB cannot be placed at or near the scene of the murder, there is no evidence of him present at the murder scene and no apparent motive. Whether you belive he did it or not based on the circumstantial evidence is immaterial. There isn't enough evidence to even bring him to trial for this murder.

P.S. on the balance of probability I think IB did do the crime. But we don't convict people for murder on the balance of probability. What annoys me most is how poorly the Gardai handled the investigation. Sofies family deserve justice and it is the Gardai who's poor handling of the case denied them the chance of it.

It was followed up, this was covered in the High Court. MF claimed that a named detective told her to make up a name. When she was cross examined though it was established that she had given the detective a loose description of the man, the ‘fact’ that she knew him when she lived in Longford and the car he drove. The detective had in fact gone to Longford and had tried to track him down based on what she had said. When asked why he would do that when she said it was him that suggested she fabricate a name, she said she couldn’t explain it.

Surely they could have made an effort to compel her to name this man? That story sounds like complete hogwash. A man came down from Longford to deepest west Cork, probably a 6-7hr drive back then to canoodle MF in the middle of the night? And then the Guards play a cat and mouse chase with MF using a fake name and take a trip up to Longford on the back of a description of a car that he drove, that he might not even drive anymore? Surely the Guards pressuring MF to give a false name, if true, is evidence of their bungling of the investigation?

Or the Gardai establish he doesnt exist and undermine their own pliable witness...

If he does exist then perhaps they already knew who he was but didnt want to embarass one of their own. They had no qualms about breaching MFs anonymity. They couldnt care less about the anonymity of some random guy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Sir.... I am not a defence lawyer by any stretch of the imagination...

But even I, could rip your allegations apart one by one..

And would have great fun doing so..

I don't know you, and too be fair, you come across as an educated person. You have a grasp of the events that occurred on the night of the murder. We differ on a lot of things, but neither of us know what exactly happened that terrible night. It's all speculation on our parts.

But.... Put yourself in the shoes of Baileys chief defence lawyer.. Go down through each and every bullet point allegation that you have cited as evidence to Baileys guilt...

As an educated man / woman... Could you not defend each and ever allegation with ease... ?? Remember, this is in a court of law where a man can be incarcerated for the rest of his life based on your defence.

Hearsay, Horse sh*t and absolute nonsense..

I hope you never get selected for Jury Service Sir.

Of course you are aware the French trial was ridiculous right.....?

I doubt any law abiding citizen would ever consider such a farce as justice right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Who ya trying to convince Moonunit LOL

I'm not sure this makes sense. She is a witness, neither she nor the man she was with were suspected of any crime. How can they compel her other than charging her for trying to pervert the course of justice, which would defeat her value as a witness even more than her refusing to name the man she was allegedly with? I'm not sure it would even progress as a charge, for that the gardai would surely have to have established the man she was with had in fact seen and remembered someone walking along the road in the middle of the night.

There's no evidence the gardai pressured her to give a false name? That's what she claimed in the high court but she seems to have accepted this made no sense in the context of the garda actually spending quite some time trying to identify the man off his own efforts.

Post edited by MoonUnit75 on

• Advertisement

You might misunderstand me, I'm not saying there is any certain proof he is guilty, my point has been that the two basic assumptions I am arguing against are wrong. These are that IB was framed by the gardai, knowing he was innocent, or that the gardai were complicit in a conspiracy to help the 'real' murderer get away with it.

I can only say I totally agree with Judge Hedigan in 2015, who heard all the evidence, the defence arguments, the Bandon tapes, the MF car-crash etc.:

I may say that not only are they barred (IB's allegations that he was framed by a corrupt garda investigation, unlawfully arrested etc.) but having heard all the evidence I think they would also likely have been withdrawn from the jury on the basis that no jury, properly instructed, could reasonably find that the Garda did not have reasonable suspicion upon which they could base a lawful arrest. The grounds for suspicion in both arrests were so strong that had the Garda not arrested Ian Bailey, they would have been derelict in their duty.

It should be noted that these arrests were based on suspicion grounded on numerous reasons other than the statements of Marie Farrell, each of which together or separately would, in my judgement, give grounds for reasonable suspicion of involvement in the offence in question and thus, reasonable grounds for arrest.

My position all along has been that the opinions and dismissals by the posters of the Boards Television forum, sometimes based on false assumptions, unfamiliarity with the facts and bias from conspiracy-angled articles does not come anywhere close to 'discrediting' the opinions of Judge Hedigan quoted above, Judge Moran on the reliability and credibility of witnesses and GSOC on the question of garda corruption. People have convinced themselves it does, that's fine but I am obviously not taking that seriously.

Just to add, you've said you hope I never get selected for jury duty, well we've people here who consider a Gemma O'Doherty piece as a solid case for IB being 'stitched up' and you've not made a similar comment for people like that or those accusing Alfie Lyons because he smoked weed and lived next door.

Post edited by MoonUnit75 on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement