Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

When the industry is being paid off milk solids you would wonder why they are are trying to base it off litres? Significant jump once you go above 6500l so lads will target fat+protein instead of chasing litres above 6500 litres. Problem is this will be only a short term gain as the reference rate for nitrates will be increases then as their is more output per cow. You cant win...

Post edited by Gman1987 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

They are obviously trying to force their own agenda of kiwi cross, small cows and plenty of them.

The auld dog for the hard Road and the pup for the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Are there no grants for dairy equipment under the TAMS scheme from now on?

Will this mean no grants for upgrading milking parlours or building new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The whole thing is very demoralizing. This spring we were locked up waiting for the lab results of a factory cow and the for the first time in my life not immediately restocking and going again was an appealing option if the worst was to happen and we lost everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I think you still can according to Charlie but to avail of any funding going forward you will have to be fully compliant with any new rules that are implemented from 2022 onwards to draw down funding which automatically means 90% plus of dairy farmers wont be able to apply unless they spend a fortune first increaseing slurry storage etc

The kicker is even if lads invest in been compliant for the new rules come 2025 another pile of sh&*&e will be brought in that will in all probability mean another wedge of investment is needed, the tipping point has been reached on alot of farms re investing in more infrastructure especially given the current price of building on farm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's gone ridiculous altogether

You'd wonder what future there will be in farming for the next generation

The Irish goverment is hellbent on destroying any primary economic activity in this country , they have torpedoed peat/forestry/horticulture and dairying is next, when you see dairying in the states where the new boom is ad plants with 10% of the national herd now operating with one, while its green washing it at least allows on paper anyway a serious decrease in ammonia emissions etc, in Ireland anyone that attempts to build one will be shot down at the planning stage and if they get planning youll probably be waiting a few years to get paid a feed in tariff to the national gird by the time the legistation gets passed and esb get you hooked up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wrong grid, Bord Gais look after the gas network, technically a lot simpler to connect to it.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on a feed-in tariff for biogas, the over payment on the first wind turbines has really stifled the renewable energy market in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

What payment, and how much are they, or did they get paid? First turbines were getting 3.6pence...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

Very good site,to change units go to the top right corner,dropdown menu,settings and then change from fahrenheit to celsius.That should change all units to metric.

Jack Kennedy had his crystal ball out last week and I thought it was a very bland outlook he had. Here's my view of the future.

I see the kiwis are under pressure with water quality issues, we've our own issues in Europe, the western states of America are running out of water for irrigation. It's crazy what almarai are at in Saudi. They're growing alfalfa in USA and shipping to the middle East. Unless China is going to fill the gap with their 100,000 cow farms supply is going to drop for sure. All this irrigation can't continue. Cities in western USA reduced water usage by 30% and irrigation keeps increasing therefore undoing all the good work. I see Irish farmers milking lower numbers going forward and getting better paid. You can already see it in the beef markets and long may it continue. With all the energy and sequestration demands, etc. on land now food will surely get scarce. See AXA planting load of trees now to offset their carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Better paid is correct, but better profitability is questionable. Can we keep ahead of inflation this time around. Inputs are rising faster milk or beef price. Personally I think we are in for a bit of a golden period in farming. While numbers of stock will drop the value of the stock output will be greater whether beef or milk. The new cap proposals with convergence and the payments limited to 66k has the potential to shake up the status quo in Irish farming for the better. Convergence is actually going to focus the majority of Irish farmers on profitability for the first time in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

I hope ye are correct lads. Be great to actually feel good about it all going forward.

37 cent net milk price for July. 18-6-12 is 404 euro. Dairy nuts are about 320 euro. Cows are doing about 1.83 ms on 2 kg nuts and grass is at long last flying out of the ground. Things were wet this the last year so I'm hoping for a good fall to the year and a good 3rd cut.

I was just looking at the proposed nitrate bands there and I was calculating that (with derogation) I can milk 125 fat Angus or hereford milking 4500 litres or 94 Holsteins milking over 6500 litres. It doesn't make sense when they are culling the suckler herd at the same time. Sure what would you expect.

They closed power stations and are now short of power, they want every house built to the rolls Royce standard and they ran out of houses. They'll try their best to destroy agriculture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good weather coming next week.

I just see my milk recording report there says that I supply about 6900 litres and about 540 kg solids. A handful of cows come in under 6500 and more supply up around 9000 litres. How are they going to work out the band's. Will we be back to drying off early again or what. I've to pare my replacements back under 15% for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What will be the stocking rate on the milking block?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Why do you need to be around for grass? Just set a couple of breaks?

A couple of breaks is fine. 1 week is too much for example. 12 hour breaks here.

.94 cows/acre. I'll have to drop 12 cows and cut back replacements. Or else just milk suckler cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Define the milking block though. Several lads about here zero graze from up to 10 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 steer

Does anyone think there'll be grants for roofing existing tanks?

You can still stock the milking block at whatever you want once you have land anywhere within 30km. That's the kind of intelligence we're dealing with. I've no outside block. All replacements are at home.

If these new proposals under the NAP come into law there will be no grants for roofs or slatted tanks as you can't get a grant if its a legal requirement

That is how it was put to everyone last night on thr ifa meeting

On a related not its not yet confirmed but what ifa and teagasc assume covering of tanks means is open concrete with no slats, lagoons and towers

It's to do with the wind taking away any ammonia

An unroofed concrete tank with slats on it isn't what they're after seemingly

No one after milking platform stocking rate, still based on whole farm on land within 30km

If your cows are doing over 6500l they'll have a N value of 106 kgs vs 89 this year

You've one if 3 options if it's brought in

Carry less stock on same land area

Take on more land to keep same stock or

Export slurry

If you're cows are milking less than 4500 litres they have a N value of 80. So you could fill the place with suckler cows, milk them and have good cull price and calf sales price. Never heard such stupidity in all my life. Can you export slurry if in derogation. My adviser told me before that you can't. Maybe he meant you can't export to a fellow derogation farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The worrying thing about those organic n increases is there just appears to be an acceptance of them ….anything over 6500 ltrs at 106 is stupid and crazy …a 6500 ltr cow /herd classed same as a 10/12 k cow …this needs to be fought hard as it will cripple smaller fragmented farms and feeds the narrative that the ifa etc are only worried about the ….big farmers

Advertisement