Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

theres no one within the county with the credentials for this job. Only one that might merit conversation is joxer O’Connor, I don’t know enough about him only that he’s big in the club circuit with the last 10 years and has had some success. Or else Derek mcg who would divide public opinion too much at this stage. No one making an make for themselves in the underage setups either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking like we will have to go outside the county again. Kilkenny and Cork surly have some great managerial options

Derek McGrath could be an option again and he did speak of a potential return when he left in 2018

I suppose Joxer O’Connor would be an option given his success at club level outside the county

Pairc Fanning and Michael Ryan won't take the role again. Doubt Davy would take role either

Sean Power seems to be content with his underage success

Peter Queally another name on the club circuit and who has applied for the job a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Lads on Tipp forum (premier view) saying Cahill meeting with Waterford county board tonight. County board meant to be offering him another two year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I imagine it's all sorted already. Sheedy sounded like he wanted another year with Tipp, so if Cahill wasn't already fixed for the job, I imagine he'd still be there.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I suspect we'll be wishing Cahill the best with Tipp shortly.

Earlier the better I suppose

If he is go to best of luck to him and its gives the county board ample time to find a replacement

Very important appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Don't be booking in a replacement just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Meeting in the Granville tonight apparently to be offered a 3 year contract here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

In fairness to the county board it's good to see them being proactive. Now is the time to address it and not in a few weeks time. Obviously I hope Cahill stays on but at least if he doesn't we may get someone in before the club championship ends.

Have to agree that there is no obvious candidate to take over. There were whispers (possibly even mentioned on here) some of the panel didn't want Derek McGrath back while others did. Realistically it's hard to see any other viable Waterford candidate.

Interestingly I understand that 4 candidates interviewed for the Wexford job. Darren Gleeson, Willie Maher and two Waterford men Derek McGrath and Jason Ryan. From what I hear McGrath is the preferred choice but needs convincing on it. I also heard their players said they won't entertain Eddie Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

The one thing that gives me a little bit of hope that Cahill might stay on is that he seems a very honourable person and by all accounts the players have done everything that’s been asked of them the last two years so hopefully he might feel an obligation to the players to see out what he has started (probably clutching at straws) feel it will be a bit of a disaster if he does leave as a lot of the candidates out there don’t fill me with a lot of confidence.

Is that the same Willie Maher that was with us in 2014 as part of Dereks management team ?

Pat Ryan on the line now for the Cork under 20s who are playing great stuff

• Advertisement

Personally,id be approaching it with assumption he's.gone

If.county board manage.to hold onto him,it will be a massive achievement beyond measure....the only possible grace is,to best my knowledge bevens isnt loved by tipp co board and cahills blunt style and carryon over minor team rubbed some up wrong....but i feel his achievements speak for emselves too though and will be too hard for tipp to ignore

Unless were getting an announcement first thing in the morning

Nothing happened tonight on the Liam Cahill matter

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

You'd have to assume he's odds on for the Tipp job. The only thing that may get in the way is politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Will be interesting to see if Cody will go another year. Shefflin would surely have eyes on the KK hot seat when Cody does move on. Maybe Eddie Brennan would too.

Hard to know if Shefflin would be interested in managing anyone but KK but I suppose his job is in Waterford and only living up the road in Ballyhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

Any update on the meeting yesterday with the county board?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

From all accounts Cahill told the players himself hes not leaving and i've heard it from 2 or 3 players themselves. Also our county chairman is fairly sure he wont be leaving. I know its easy to say as a waterford man but youd have to think anyone looking at a hurling job now would take waterford over tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not so sure about that. For one, he's a tipp man. We can't offer him the chance to manage his own county.

Also, there's no money in Waterford. That's a major point against us.

We do have the players though. At the moment I'd say the second best in the country. Although cork could overtake us in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Cork could overtake us in the next couple of days. Right now, the 4 best teams in the country are in Munster (including Clare who beat Waterford and lost narrowly to Cork, while they'll also have Duggan & O'Donnell back).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Also, there's no money in Waterford. That's a major point against us.

I'm not sure what this comment is supposed to mean. Where is it there's no money in Waterford. And what does it have to do with anything in an amateur game. Liam Cahill doesn't collect a pay cheque so why would money be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Theres no money in waterford but yet he has managed us the last 2 years. How did we manage that? Please read what you are saying before posting tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

What's the Capicity for club games in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Still a bit annoyed with how our intercounty season has gone.

Anyway, the club seaon beckons. Is there a Munster club championship this year? If yes, I expect at least 2 finals to feature a Waterford team. I would allso expect a Waterford club to make the club AI final if one is held. That will tell us if there is any kind of a kick in Waterford hurling going forward into next year.

Given that the intercounty panel is made up of players from clubs across the three grades this should not be an unreasonable expectation. Should it?

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that someone helped out with the funding of the senior team over the last two years? The cost of an intercounty team is substantial so you'd be hoping for a Sultan/Saltan or duine eigin eile to help out again hopefully.

Cahill is playing it smart, Tipp will have to come knocking on the door for him to jump ship, he’s not going to just leave the Waterford job with the assumption the Tipp job is his and end up with egg on face.

unlike ourselves Tipp have some other really strong candidates from within. The likes of Darragh Egan, Tommy Dunne and Darren Gleeson all well capable of taking on the Tipp job.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

What two grades do you expect Waterford teams to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Montys return

Does Fraher field not have an accredited capacity of 5,000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

I expect them to win at least one. And I'm not too fussy which one it is.

Advertisement