Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring grunfos shower booster pump

Options
  • 13-08-2021 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi I’ve removed a triton t90 electric shower and am in stalling a thermostatic mixer shower. I am boosting hot and cold supply to the new shower via a grunfos shower booster pump, which in in the hot press beside the hot water cylinder. I need to run power (cable) down from the attic to supply power to the pump. Manufacturers instructions states that the pump should be wired to a fused spur and protected with a 5 amp fuse.

can I run the old cable from the electric shower down into the hot press into a wall mounted fused spur (5amp fuse) and wire the booster cable into it.

I know the RCD protection rating would be way to high for the pump as this is the old cable from the electric shower but the fact that it is being wired into a fused spur and protected with a 5 amp fuse would this be ok?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Yeah the RCD OR RCBO for the shower is protecting the shower cable of 6 or 10 square and the 5 amp fuse is protecting the pump cable, it’s not the ideal thing to do but it’s making use of what you have.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In many cases people simply supply these pumps from the immersion circuit as the pump is a small load and the cable is already there. I'm not sure if this is still permitted to supply both from the same circuit under IS10101, but I suspect it is. If not you could always disconnect the immersion assuming the water is heated by another method. Thsi would avoid the most costly method of heating of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it safe to feed this from a 40 amp RCBO? I would have thought this would need to be changed to a lower ampage?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, if you use a spur outlet.

The shower cable will be protected by the RCBO and the pump cable will be protected the fuse in the spur outlet (2 or 3A).

Advertisement