Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is quite easily proven by the reporting of similar cases that occurred (the BBC presenter in Greece for example). Why would that be reported, but this case wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So effectively you are helping to spread misinformation about the media and at least unverified information about the passing of a young man, based on nothing more than your hunch about the media, and Twitter/Facebook. I’m playing both man and ball, both are just hearsay, which you are basing your opinion on.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Get off your high horse with your ‘misinformation’ buzz word nonsense. I gave no information period! I gave an opinion-when did an opinion become misinformation. Care to address the fact that I did not post anything from Twitter or Facebook- I actually was going to in response to someone saying they couldn’t see anything- I immediately snipped it as posting shite from Twitter is a mugs game.

You are obviously highly triggered (to use a buzz word- you seem fond of them)

This is an Internet forum, not a court of law- get over yourself.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Your assertion the the media refuse to publish bad news stories about vaccines has no basis in fact.

Edit: My apologies, Charlie_says posted the Facebook link to some wako “news” page.

I'm on mobile so might be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think the poster you are replying to posted the Facebook link or is anti-vax. Might be incorrect though.

Edit: Oh that's a pretty cool feature. If you edit your post the quote in a reply also gets updated. Neat! 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It's tragic that kid died, I'm not affiliated or condone that Facebook group.

Those aren't my opinions. My opinion is this is tragic and even more so if the vaccine is the cause of this death.

It's tragic that kid died, I'm not affiliated or condone that Facebook group.

Those aren't my opinions. My opinion is this is tragic and even more so if the vaccine is the cause of this death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Not sure if there’s a separate thread for this but will parents get their kids vaccinated?

I’m doubly vaccinated myself and I have a 9 and 6 year old.

obviously they can’t get the vaccine at the moment but I wonder what people’s thoughts are on getting kids vaccinated?

the vaccine reduces transmission and kids can pass on the virus almost as much as adults so to bring transmission levels down in the community it makes sense to get them vaccinated.

However, if the vulnerable have already been vaccinated and are due to get boosters, what’s the point in getting kids vaccinated as if a kid did pass the virus on to someone who was vulnerable, the vulnerable person would be protected by their vaccine, yes?

what are peoples thoughts on this?

However, if the vulnerable have already been vaccinated and are due to get boosters, what’s the point in getting kids vaccinated as if a kid did pass the virus on to someone who was vulnerable, the vulnerable person would be protected by their vaccine, yes?

Vaccines are not 100% effective and the more people who are vaccinated the less likely it is that those vulnerable people will be hospitalised or worse.

Likewise, non-vulnerable people (especially the selfish, ignorant un-vaccinated group) are not guaranteed to only have mild symptoms or less if they get Covid.

Finally, there are those people who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons and so the more people who are vaccinated, the better for their outlook!

But if herd immunity is not possible as is now being predicted and break through infections become more common as efficacy wanes- vaccinating all kids is pointless? It’s a mild illness in kids that seems to confer longer lasting natural immunity than mRNA vaccines that have no long term data- we are only finding out this week that they don’t give strong immunity for very long for example.

Obviously kids with underlying conditions need to be given access to it but I feet there’s no point at which ‘we’re all safe’ because everyone is vaccinated.

Don’t get me wrong, I wish it were a case of vaccinate everyone and get back to normal….I just don’t think that’s possible and would rather my kids didn’t get the vaccine at this point (that opinion may have to change with time and variants etc)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

But if herd immunity is not possible as is now being predicted and break through infections become more common as efficacy wanes- vaccinating all kids is pointless? It’s a mild illness in kids that seems to confer longer lasting natural immunity than mRNA vaccines that have no long term data- we are only finding out this week that they don’t give strong immunity for very long for example.

I never mentioned herd immunity. Even without herd immunity, the more people who are vaccinated, the less likely it is that someone gets it.

Also, vaccines won't be recommended to children unless the benefit/risk balance implies that the benefits outweigh the risks for the children, regardless of reducing the spread. Therefore, even if everything I said above was pointless, kids should still take the vaccine for their own sake. As medical experts believe all unvaccinated people will eventually get Covid, kids should also get vaccinated for their sake alone because the small likelihood of them getting very sick with Covid is still greater than the even smaller likelihood of them getting very sick with a vaccine. If the trials do not demonstrate that, then kids will not be recommended to take a vaccine and you then have nothing to decide.

The mRNA vaccines invoke a very strong immune response in the person, generally much more than someone who catches COVID without a vaccine. While the number of antibodies does wane, the starting point is so high that even after waning the response remains very strong. Also remember that being infected with COVID without vaccine will also result in waning antibodies and generally with a much lower starting point.

Break through infections aren't more common than predicted based on the efficacy results, the numbers required to achieve herd immunity has gone from ~60% to ~80% due to a more transmissible variant. It is also not the plan to reach herd immunity (but it may happen anyway) as part of the rollout, the plan is purely based on hospital numbers and how many they can handle at a given case rate (which is now much higher due to the link between cases and hospitalizations being broken by vaccines).

I hope you’re right. Don’t like what we’re seeing in Israel at the moment!

Are people generally happy to accept boosters every few months? I know I’m not.

For the vast majority it will probably be (and this is me guessing) an annual booster akin to the flu vaccine, I could only see vulnerable groups and possibly healthcare workers (who could be encountering people with a high viral load and thus get a high viral load themselves) getting boosters more often. Even then, I don't see it happening in the long term unless there is a mutant variant that keeps all the pro's that the current virus and none of the cons (stability of the spike protein which vaccines target). We're also likely to see multi-targeted vaccines that don't just go after the spike in the future, but they may arrive too late to make commercial sense.

The world will move on quicker than people realize once all restrictions are lifted.

When you say you're not happy with boosters, are you happier with the alternative of cases rising as in Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

For anyone worried about the potential long term effects of the vaccines, I’d recommend reading this very interesting piece in the National Geographic, explaining why most side effects happen within the first few days and at the latest by six weeks. It is very unlikely for anything to emerge after this point.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/vaccines-are-highly-unlikely-to-cause-side-effects-long-after-getting-the-shot-

I’m just not happy about how quickly the narrative is changing to needing a booster every few months- you’d have been labelled a conspiracy theorist if you’d have predicted this scenario last summer. I’m low risk for covid and like many would be more concerned about indoor dining pass expiring.

Vaccine boosters are quite common. Children in junior infants receive a vaccine booster. Why would you have been labelled a conspiracy theorist? Were you unhappy about children receiving these booster shots before Covid?

The narrative is changing because the variants that exists are changing and there is no way of telling how effective current vaccines will be against newer variants. Nobody is "happy" about receiving any kind of shot, but people should certainly be happy if trials shows that boosters are effective.

You're concerned about indoor dining? Are you concerned about the hospitals being overwhelmed?

Why would you have been labelled a conspiracy theorist if you had said last summer that in summer 2021 you would need to be vaccinated to eat indoors but there would be no such things as fully vaccinated because boosters would be needed in perpetuity?

Depends on how you answered the follow up question, "why do you think that?". If you said it was because variants are common in viruses and that you wouldn't be surprised if the first round of vaccines didn't remain effective against variants that existed while the virus was still rampant, I would have considered you a logical person.

• Advertisement

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, being an armchair virologist however is very 20/21.

Are you referring to me? I'm not a virologist but I have published papers in medicine and co-authored a book on medicine.

Nope, general statement. Though I do find your posts quire confrontational.

Nice edit.

If my comments were confrontational, they would in the vein of "no you're wrong and here's why". Instead, I've asked you questions and/or explained my reasoning in almost all of my posts.

No need to explain gov. I’ve explained how they come across to me, a random stranger on the internet. Just my opinion, not a topic for debate where you need to try to convince me I’m wrong, no offence intended- just how I see it. There are just so many on here that come across as experts and are all transmit and no receive, perhaps that isn’t u hard to keep up with this new poxy site layout!

So what do you mean by "I’m just not happy about how quickly the narrative is changing to needing a booster"? Do you mean you're unhappy with the dastardly virus itself for making it necessary? Or are you unhappy with certain people? Which people?

it a kin to the rug being pulled….again. just when I was starting to feel positive about the lead countries in the vaccine roll out looking good and hopeful, the reality of this being an on going thing for years dawns. I was probably naive to fall for the ‘cavalry are coming over the hill’ narrative and the vaccines would return us to normal, I’m mad at myself for that, mad at the virus and we’ll just mad. I’d never describe a virus as dastardly though, strange adjective to use from a microscopic pathogen.

So you're primarily unhappy with the fact that you were unlucky to have had a pandemic occur in your lifetime rather than with how the pandemic has been handled?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I transcribed these comments from the radio. The podcast only went up today. I wanted to get it right what he said, so had to wait to hear it again.

"I'll say just one thing Anton, right straight to you. This vaccine against the Corona virus, the Covid-19 vaccine, that we have available at the moment, is really good at preventing people from dying when they get the disease. I actually, do not, personally, believe that the vaccine should be used as the basic means for ending the pandemic. And so I am not at this stage recommending widespread use of the vaccine amongst children.

I think that it's quite reasonable in a society, like Irish society, for schools to restart and for the vaccine to be used, primarily for the people who are most likely to get badly ill with Covid, and for us to then keep a very clear watch on society and check to see who is getting sick with the disease, and I think we'll find, that children will continue to do fine, that the older people who are more likely to suffer, people of my age, 72, that we will be protected, because, yes, our vaccines will make it much less likely for us to get ill. So I will not personally, have any problem with returning to school in September. I think that's a good decision and one that I would support." - Dr David Nabarro, Special Envoy to the WHO and Imperial College London professor speaking on The Hard Shoulder yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's the last question put to Dr Nabarro and it starts around the 9 minute mark.

Advertisement