Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Following day, another fast food resturant (what can i say, that what i eat) they asked to me if i was vaxed, and scaned the COVID QR code with thier APP, but did not ask for Photo ID, or contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Neachtains back open again today

O'Reilly's in Salthill were closed yesterday, sign on the door said it was due to a case among the staff.

Was told by a pub (just outside the city) today that it was no problem we could have an indoor table when they didn't have any free outside. Head guy on duty grabbed a couple of menus and started leading us in until we had to say no thanks.

Went elsewhere and and the group beside us were sharing digital certs to try get into the next pub for indoor pints. Don't know how they got on, but seems to be some up for testing their luck!

There's varying degrees everywhere from the looks of it

Had food on 2 occasion in the Old Barracks in Athenry, both times they checked the covid certs but no ID asked for but they know us there anyway so they may have been asking others for ID.

Went across the road to the Polish shop, not even a mask to be seen by 2 staff or the 2 customers. Turned around and walked out.

In the AIB in Athenry this morning and they were obsessive in restricting access, wiping down everything anytime someone touched something etc

Middle Arch is open again.

Covid related in that they used Covid as the excuse to close it - but really it's just a safety issue with crowds + alcohol. Wonder what will happen to it as college starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Just wondering about the reported current high rates of incidence of infection in Galway.

Looking at the Covid app I can see that Connemara North's 2 week rate is now around the national average (up from zero from before the system was hacked) and also that Galway Central is 2 or 3 times higher.

Is that tied into the University as I remember noticing this in the past?

If so would it be reasonable to exclude the shopping centre in Shop Street etc from those Galway Central figures,If they are really more reflective of actual student accommodation in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I don't think there are a lot of students in town at the moment. Student accommodation, like Corrib Village, is used for tourists during the summer.

Lots of student tourists who couldn't do their foreign group holidays this summer.

Lots of student-aged people, anyway. And with PUP, they have cash.

Also lots of student houses on Bohermore looked l as though they'd just got new tenants about two weeks ago.

Not sure it would be right to exclude them from figures: they are a big component of the population and economy.

I revisited this establishment and again was not asked anything for indoor dining .

Different employee and I am not know to them, so they could not claim they knew my status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bohermore houses are packed with students on holidays saw about 15 coming out of one house during the week .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

A misunderstanding,I think.I just meant to mentally exclude them so as to better understand what the figures represented.

Ie ,the infection rate in the centre of town might not be as high as the 2 week rate for Galway Central might otherwise indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

anyone know if o'connells eyre square is open and doing pizza out the back ?

Not open.

I know I saw an announcement that they'd some building work to do, and hope to be open in September. Cannot find it now though.

No builders have been seen around the building.

There are some rumours around the town about the building. Not gonna put them here because I have no idea how true or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I won't say it just incase but I don't think it is even rumors, I'm sure I saw it reported in the Connacht Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Covid-19 Vaccine Clinic at Clifden Community School will close next week after the last appointments there have been fulfilled.

2074 cases nationally today Sat Aug 14th 2021

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

"Dr Ronan Glynn warned of very high incidence levels in Galway in recent days, as more than 10,000 cases have been reported nationwide in the past week alone.

During the early days of the most recent wave, concerns were expressed that Ireland would hit 2,000 cases a day by the end of July."

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/covid-19/covid-19-over-2000-cases-reported-today/

Not sure has it been noted but it seems Eyre Square is turning into an after party location.

Guards need to stamp it out as there seems to be 100s congregating there most nights, haven't witnessed first hand but you can see it on Snapchat, a few nights ago there were videos of fights as well.

If you're going to let 100s hang around there always becomes an air of lawlessness and someone will be badly hurt before they do anything.

I saw similar at the back of the Arch a few weeks back on a nice day, a young lad walking out with two girls and a bloody face(5pm) and about 30-50 at the back which gives rise to people thinking they can give someone a hiding.

I dont want to criticise the guards as i think their detection rate is good as evidenced by the convictions of people before the courts but we are very poor at preventative policing and there should be more a presence around those types of areas and stop the issues before they arrive. The crowds in Eyre Sq are there to drink, maybe start by taking it off them and the big reason to congregate is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jeez lads with the comments on here it seems like some of ye won't be happy until students are kept at home under their parents watch and the entire city is closed.

• Advertisement

Yes. Not all of them, but sizeable numbers.

First years very noticeable around town last weekend. Some other were back earlier, too.

I have less of an issue with 300 in Eyre Square than with 50 house parties. At least Eyre Square is outdoors and under the eye of Garda CCTV.

The grass! Won't somebody please think of the grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's funny I passed through the Square this morning and noticed in some places how poor the grass areas were and thought to myself isn't it strange it hasn't been mentioned on Boards.

The streets have always been littered with glass every night.

And again 5000 in the square is still better than 200 house parties.

Was in the Square a couple of weeks ago during the day. It was a pigsty. Wouldn't be too bothered by the dead grass. Eyes were drawn more to all of the litter and vomit around the place. It was 11am on a Saturday morning too. Posted on here before that I brought my inlaws into the city, walked down by the waterways and then up to cross street, there were bottles all f*cked into the canal and shattered glass along the grass. Couldn't let the kids sit down to look at the ducks. The city has always had a litter problem though. Seems the smart bins have made f*ck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

That’s just woeful from all sides. The people leaving the rubbish in the first place, and the lack of clean up services in one of Ireland’s main tourist cities. Maybe they should be issued with some on the spot fines & tougher penalties for littering, we had plenty brought in for Covid.

To be fair, they do usually clean up in the mornings. It just seemed they either did a poor job of cleanup that morning OR the mess was made after they cleaned up. My bet is the latter. There was a crowd of drunks around.

I go thru the Square at 9am most days, and it's pretty much pristine. The only large group is the Roma having their team meeting, and they don't leave a mess.

The council cannot reasonably be expected to clean the place every hour: the wage bill would be astronomical.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

UHG is dealing with an outbreak (defined as two or more positive cases of COVID 19) and therefore some visitor restrictions are now in place.

Advertisement