Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This would make sense if I was trying to be fooling someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nobody released the Taliban Leaders in exchange for a photo.

They were released as part of the February 2020 peace deal , a deal that took years to broker and followed nine rounds of US-Taliban talks in Qatar.

5,000 Taliban prisoners and 1,000 Afghan security force prisoners were exchanged as part of the deal.

A deal that the Taliban didnt uphold in recent months and constantly broke yet Biden bizarrely upheld his end of the bargain.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If they didn't uphold their part of the deal (like many expected they wouldn't), then what was the point of releasing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Your original take was that he said no mistakes were made and yet the quote you provided said they would look at in hindsight. Why would you look at something you know you made no mistakes with again?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

My only take on what he said was that he was being evasive. That was my first post in this discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There is a bomb threat with a Pickup truck driver threatening to blow up the library of Congress

UPDATE – 12:45 p.m. ET: Multiple reports indicate that the suspect held a now-deleted Facebook Live broadcast where he made statements against the government and President Joe Biden. Huffington Post’s Ryan Reillyobtained a sample of the man’s video where he declares “I’m ready to die for the cause.”

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just waiting for notobtuse to come along and say he's not actually a terrorist and just wanted to borrow some books.

You’ll have to mention it in the other thread then. He’s not allowed here and he’s blocked himself from being challenged by my dissenting views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looking worse by the hour for Biden! More and more military people are coming out to state they warned Biden of what would happen if they pulled out! And he says he "can't recall" anyone warning him?

Plus where is the vice president? She sitll continues to refuse to talk about the Afghanistan situation.

There are still 15000 Americans still in Afghanistan according to NBC news not to mention other nationalities, what's the plan to get them out? Secretly pay off the Taliban neanderthals and hope they will release their citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, Biden had the mid-term elections in mind when he announced the withdrawal of American military personnel from Afghanistan. But isn't abandoning Afghan women and girls to Taliban rule going to have an impact on American women's voting preferences, i.e. the sisterhood, girls sticking together?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Biden must be politically stupid. The longer this evacuation drags on, the longer it's on the news, the more the American public are reminded of the fiasco, every.single.day!!

This is going to drag on weeks and weeks and with every day presenting a new danger to people on the ground. All it will take is a few bombs here and there, with westerners or Americans dying and the clusterfuck is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think actually the last couple of days have probably lessened the noise of people calling it a failure.

There wasn't mass attacks immediately as the Taliban took power. There wasn't pictures of Americans trying to escape and being stopped and killed while doing so.

The Taliban at least attempted to appear somewhat non-radical in their earliest statements.

Control of the Airport in Kabul was re-established.

And none of this is to say that the Americans/Biden should be proud of how they handled it. They should have done it in a staged manner and at least attempted to facilitate passage for those who would be in the most danger and who had worked with them while they were there. I'd hold Biden more to account for not having advocated immediately in Obama's second term, after Bin Laden had been killed, that America should leave then.

Afghanistan unfortunately is likely to be in the news for the wrong reasons over the next several years and my heart genuinely does go out to anyone there who is likely to be repressed by the Taliban, Biden seems to understand the need for action to try to help those who need support going by his comments below, but it remains to be seen just how this might be done, and what role America will play in it. If I was in Afghanistan and worried about my future, this wouldn't give me a whole lot of comfort.

It is interesting to watch Right wing America tie itself in knots with accusing Biden of doing something that they lauded Trump for doing. That clown called for Biden to resign in disgrace when Biden did exactly what Trump said should be done. And Niki Haley's comments about dealing with the Taliban showed their hypocrisy in bright lights once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The modern, so called, "right" in America are nothing but a bunch of liars and frauds. They'll never offer an honest appraisal of anything. Old style Conservativism is dead and it's been replaced by FOX style faux "conservatism", which is basically just disingenuous cunts taking pot shots at anything they can, while desperately trying to cover up the last thing the said before it's thrown in their faces.

Nobody cares what they think, because nothing they say or think is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I don't often quote The Guardian commentary pieces but this I thought was a well written point. On the Trump supporters, yes it's hypocritical but the signal the manner this was done sends a Trumpish message to American allies and possible allies

Shadi Hamid: ‘Biden saw Afghanistan as a nuisance’

Joe Biden was dealt a bad hand on Afghanistan. But instead of modifying the withdrawal timeline or ensuring close military-to-military coordination with the Afghan government, he saw Afghanistan as a nuisance to be done away with as soon as possible. After all, he had been complaining about American involvement since Barack Obama’s first term, when as vice-president he favored a near exclusive focus on counter-terrorism operations against al-Qaida.

Advertisement

It is little surprise, then, that Biden and his top aides seemed indifferent as the Taliban marched toward Kabul. This wasn’t their fight. Indifference is one thing. Cruelty is another. In his speech on Monday, Biden showed his trademark stubbornness, refusing to admit fault or responsibility. Moreover, he blamed Afghans for lacking the will to fight for their own future, despite over 60,000 Afghan military and security forces having perished in precisely that fight over 20 years.

It may be tempting to dismiss this as an unfortunate but understandable logistical failure. If only. Optics matter. Narratives matter. Is this how America treats its friends and allies when it grows tired of them? This is the question on minds of officials in foreign capitals everywhere. As Politico Europe reported, “Even those who cheered Biden’s election and believed he could ease the recent tensions in the transatlantic relationship said they regarded the withdrawal from Afghanistan as nothing short of a mistake of historic magnitude.” Even if this isn’t how European officials and others should interpret Biden’s nonchalance, they are perceiving it nonetheless. And perceptions – or misperceptions – have a way of creating new, darker realities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

I got flak three months ago for writing that Biden is the weakest American President in modern times. I suspect a lot of people are coming around to this viewpoint.

Domestically, he is in the pocket of his party’s left-wing, backing huge spending that he never proposed before he got to the White House. Internationally, Afghanistan has exposed his many weaknesses. I was very struck by his interview with ABC the other night. He was harried by the interviewer until he said American forces would stay beyond 31 August if necessary to get their citizens out.

Could it be that he hadn’t considered this issue? Or did he have second thoughts during the interview and realise that he couldn’t withdraw until all American citizens are out? He seemed to make it up as he was going along (which may be their motto now).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Biden had no way of winning here. He, literally, was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. If he'd torn up Trump's plan, he'd have been called a "warmonger". If he goes ahead with it, it looks bad as well, because there was no plan b and the disastrous groundwork had already been laid by the previous admin.

I suspect, though, that in a year nobody will really care. Most of America wanted out. They're now out. The Republicans might try to make capital out of this, but they can shut the fuck up. It was their plan that was carried out and the exact same thing would have happened if they went ahead in May. They know this, which is why they've been relatively quiet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And this is the real legacy of Trump. One can argue all day about policy, but Trump has so lowered the level of performance that even when Biden is painfully doing the wrong thing, it is met with the retort that Trump was even worse.

And it is not surprising. Trump, and his supporters, spent all their time attacking others rather than being up front, so it is not a surprise that others now feel that it a workable way to react to events.

It is laughable to claim Biden is the weakest American President in modern times. After 7 months! He has taken a very strong decision in Afghanistan, one many people disagree with and certainly how it was handled, but the weaker approach would have been to buckle to international calls, for domestic calls to stay there. Once can certainly argue with the decision, but in his mind (I assume) it is the right decision and he is prepared to take the flak.

Is it weak that Biden got bi-partisan support for his infrastructure plans? Or it is better to be a cry baby and do what Trump did, simply sulk off when you don't get your way?

Yeah, whoever that poster was who suggested that Biden is a "weak president" because of what he decided to do with regards Afghanistan certainly has an interesting outlook on things. You could argue that a complete withdrawal of troops was the right or wrong thing to do, but Biden pulling the trigger on what previous presidents said they would do and doing what the majority of Americans wanted him to do makes him "weak" is certainly an interesting take on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So what is he supposed to do? Abandon the airport right now and leave remaining Westerners to their fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I doubt it, getting out of Afghanistan is popular, getting it done so soon into the presidency is smart, less sons going off to a dangerous unpopular GOP war is nothing but a win.

I'm not sure doing what he said he would do is in any way weak, the previous administration screwed the pooch here, releasing and negotiating with the Taliban and pulling troops out early meaning either another invasion level of troops would need to be sent in or get out, the latter was the only real decision to be made here.

But it would be good to see what you define as a "strong president" to see who it matches and if a preening draft dodger fits that criteria somehow.

Weeks and weeks in the first year of presidency is fine, it's already dropping down the news feeds and almost seems to be an orderly disorderly exit with most realizing that there was very few options here. The fact that this was trump's plan and has been carried out relatively proficiently so far makes it very hard to blame Biden (the purist part of the DNC may complain but there's 1-3 years to get them energetic enough to get out and vote and they're not going to switch to the GOP).

what is this administrations plan for the border?

How about you Google that, find out what the plan is and then tell us why it's wrong rather than asking us to copy and paste Biden's policies for you? You might learn a thing or two all by yourself.

Offer some leadership perhaps?

The buck stops with him... apparently, and the next minute he throws everyone else under the bus.

He has said on numerous occasions that no one saw the fall of Kabul coming, yet we have reports of many people inside, saying Biden ignored all warnings and pleas from those in the know.

The guy is turning out to be a fraud.

"Weeks and weeks in the first year of presidency is fine, it's already dropping down the news feeds and almost seems to be an orderly disorderly exit with most realizing that there was very few options here. The fact that this was trump's plan and has been carried out relatively proficiently so far makes it very hard to blame Biden (the purist part of the DNC may complain but there's 1-3 years to get them energetic enough to get out and vote and they're not going to switch to the GOP)."

You call what is going on in Kabul 'relatively proficiently'?

As the other poster above said, if this isn't failure what is?

Also, I note there is a strong, sure lets blame Trump for this, thing going on. Trump isnt the president, Biden is. If the Trump plan was so bad, why did Biden go along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

To be honest, any reports I've seen regarding reports of Kabul falling quickly gave come from people inside Afghanistan, who give their info to someone, who passed it on to someone else, etc who gives it then to the POTUS for a decision to make.

To me it seems like the people giving the briefings Did not consider some of this info relevant, or didn't agree, and didn't pass on the info.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

You are asking posters to copy and paste readily available material for you rather than asking for the opinions of posters. We are not your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You're implying there's something he could do now, or could have done once it became clear the Taliban takeover was happening way quicker than anticipated. "Offer some leadership" is a bit vague.

Edit: duplicate post.

• Advertisement

"It is important to note that encounters refer to events, not people, and that some migrants are encountered more than once. In fact, a growing proportion of encounters in recent months have involved repeat border crossers. As a result, the overall number of encounters reported in a given month may overstate the number of distinct individuals involved."

"In July, 27% of border encounters involved migrants with at least one previous encounter within the past year, according to CBP statistics. That was up from an average of 14% between the 2014 and 2019 fiscal years, before Title 42 took effect."

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/13/migrant-encounters-at-u-s-mexico-border-are-at-a-21-year-high/?amp=1

In summary, no.

Advertisement