Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

After part 2 of OTA update I notice that the road sign recognition is back to pre part 1 levels. ie, only speed limit signs and no overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I have a question about this road sign recognition, is there a front facing visual camera on the car? if so can it act as a dash cam, or is it the driving map has locations and limits built in and the dash just displays what it assumes should be the limit based on the map info?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There is a camera yes, built into the rear-view-mirror housing so it is reading road signs as it sees them. It cannot be used as a dash cam though!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Question..Ordered ID3 in early July..Deal done with trade in. Deposit paid. Now assuming it will not be delivered until Jan 22..Should I assume the dealer will honour the deal agreed, or will the price inflate in Jan due to the usual price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Id assume the deal will be honoured.

• Advertisement

I'm the same time frame, deal honored. I wrote an email of my contemporaneous account of the deal/meeting and he replied all was good. It was mentioned the the budget could upset things as my dealership cc'd me the letter to say the dealership got the government discount (they ordered this batch of cars late July) and this was valid till november 29th - the greens are in goverment, EV's are not going anywhere and the world is dying so I think the grant will not get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

So I read somewhere that you’re as well to use air con rather than drive around with the window down as the range loss is about the same given the impact on aerodynamics of rolling down the window. Have been driving around windows up and air con on since I got the car (usually set to 21).

Decided to test the theory the other day - window down, air con on. My range has almost doubled. Previously driving 20km would knock 40km off the GOM. Now it pretty much matches distance drives to the nearest km.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Did you mean that, for your experiment you drove with the AC off and the windows down and got better range?

What speed ? Where you drafting behind anything, head/tail winds ?

Yep. Pretty much. It wasn’t the most scientific experiment that’s ever been conducted to be fair.

I’ve been doing it for a few days now using the same route over and back to work, same speeds as I usually do. Weather has been broadly similar. And I’m seeing a huge difference in range. I’m actually getting what the GOM predicts instead of significantly less.

Could be a quirk to my particular car but I’m definitely going to leave the AC off for the next while to see if it makes a consistent difference or if it’s just a weird anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I would imagine a lot would depend on how wide open the windows were. If you only need to open them a small amount (which, given the current weather, seems probable), the effect on the aerodynamics is likely not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I hope you're just doing it for the science/fun-factor and not planning on making it your normal mode of driving! 😲

Air-con doesnt use much. <2kW, usually less than 1kW if its not too hot outside. Thats a fairly small amount.

To put it into context, if its running at 1kW for an hour thats 1kWh of your 58kWh battery to just maintain your cabin comfort for an hours worth of driving.... thats tiny in real terms.

Cabin heating is a different story though.... that can, and does, take closer to 10kW when its running.

You would also have a disproportionate amount of energy used for cabin heating/cooling if you are doing alot of short journeys as the system has to run at max for a while as soon as you get in to get it to temp and then it will level off for the rest of the journey so that would also play a large part in your experiment if its all short journeys you are doing.

Don't think I have ever seen the cabin heating using 10kW, more like 2 to 4kW, but I don't keep the car too hot, just a comfortable level.

Now, the battery heating, that's a different story, on a freezing morning a total of 10kW is well possible for a while.

Ah yea, I'm talking about the total being used on a cold morning when you sit in. It doesnt break it down to battery vs cabin so its hard to tell exactly how much is for each.

I've seen it use 9kW+ on those cold mornings and my point is that that is where you will see your range being affected, not by having A/C on which uses a fraction of the same power.

Obviously it needs to be rather cold outside for it to use 9kW+

True, aircon doesn't use very much, not worth worrying about. Particularly if you keep it at an achievable level.

I had a six speed diesel in a previous life. I remember when you turned on the ac there was a noticeable drop in revs and there were certain gentle hills that the car would not pull 6th gear any more. Thankfully the ID's ac is a bit more efficient.🙂

""We currently expect supply of chips in the third quarter to be very volatile and tight," VW said in answer to a request for comment by Reuters on Thursday. "We can't rule out further changes to production."

VW said it expects the situation to improve by the end of the year and aims to make up for production shortfalls in the second half as far as possible."

The dates being offered to people on here seems to tally up with that... delay after delay... 2022 more likely for alot of the deliveries I'd say.

just playing around to be honest. My GOM seems to be way off when I use the AC but much more accurate when it’s off.

also, when I say windows down I don’t mean fully down, just enough to get a bit of fresh air.

we are picking up ours this afternoon. It won’t look shiny for long in this weather!

Good luck👍️.

Plenty of good weather next week, don't forget to take some pics..

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I just can't understand why mine might not be here until 2022!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealer says it's like a lottery now which car gets delivered and typical for me I'll probably be the one waiting until 2022.

Yes its definitely strange when you ordered before us. I guess they make batches of the same spec together. hopefully yours will be on next ship. Is VIN number up yet?

Yeah the vin is up weeks ago.

It's like a lottery now, dealer said that cars ordered weeks after others are getting them weeks before and it makes no sense.

It would be a pain in the ass getting a my21 in 2022.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Road sign recognition has to be the most dangerous option to add to any car.

I've noticed on the Athlone bypsss where the road goes under the N55 road to Ballymahon / Cavan road - car slows from 100kph to 50kph, does it read the sign on the slip road?

I was in Dublin recently and near Rochfortbridge I think, ACC set to 110kph, all of a sudden the anchors comes on and reduces to 50kph, scared the life out of us as we were not expecting it. Thankfully no cars / trucks coming behind me. Didn't happen on the way home.

It also happens coming into Athlone from the old Galway road and its 80kph and it keeps trying to reduce to 60kph even though the signs are 80kph.

Am very tempted to keep turning it off now as i don't trust it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The YouTuber Volkswizard has a Mk 8 Golf with similar weird issues.

I think in his case in the UK - the VW software is reading the UK mph signs as km/hr.

Might be worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

So got in to the car at lunchtime and the driver side seatbelt is jammed tight. Can’t retract it to put it on. Have tried pulling it super slowly but no joy. Have tried reversing a bit then driving forwards to see if it’s a software thing that will suddenly wake up and fix itself. Tried locking and unlocking the car a few times. Anyone had a similar experience/ got any bright ideas?

Probably could not sure I fancy my21 car as 2022. It's just insane, if I had thought it was going to take so long I simply wouldn't have bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

I know I feel the exact same. I’ve ordered an ID 4 and it feels like I’ll never get to see it. Could be end of November or into December to which stage I’ll be insisting on a 221 Plate. I’ll even hand over the trade in if they want in Dec.

Advertisement