Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords selling up - Rents rising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I think business is business is appropriate to this situation because the landlord took a calculated risk - by all means a business decision - and if the tenant finds out about it, it's backfired.

The hypothetical landlord here knew the potential negative consequences of their actions, weighed it against the potential gains, and decided it was the best course of action. They're not some poor unfortunate getting screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Perfect, good to have cleared that up. No legal requirement for a seller to provide but due diligence on the part of a prospective investment buyer to enquire after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It seems from reading the RTA legislation and articles on the RTB website that the regulations are heavily biased towards tenants no matter what some politicians say.

What would be the number one thing that landlords would like that is not there now? Would it be the ability to charge the market rent for a new tenant (ie any increase restrictions apply to sitting tenants only) or, the ability to terminate a tenancy with 14/28/35 days notice for rent arrears?

Would either or both those things attract more landlords into the private rental sector or has that ship sailed at this stage and we are left with the REITs and large scale landlords.

I am actually strongly in agreement with strengthening measures to deal with non-paying or anti-social tenants.

Entitlement would be flouting the RPZs and then feeling somehow hard done by when eventually facing the consequences of those actions.

This is hardly a radical point of view is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

For me the ability to terminate a tenancy, not just for rent arrears, but for anti-social behaviour and damage to the property also.

• Advertisement

Why should any landlord be told what rent they can charge in the first place, how would you like to be told what type of car you can buy, and the max you can pay for it.

Well, whether RPZs are fair or achieve what they set up to in the first place is a separate argument.

The reality is they exist and landlords should obey them and if they choose not to and get caught, they're not deserving of any sympathy if their tenants find out and take them to the cleaners.

Many landlords have been screwed by them, why should other landlords who knowingly ignore them not be penalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

so in the real world you are wrong gald you agree and understand now

So you have no empathy which is psychotic beaviour, nice and clear

It's psychotic behaviour to not feel sorry for a landlord breaking the law having to face the consequences of those actions?

I think I'm done with this thread now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The problem now is that if they changes the legislation to allow those two things you mention.

Then they might change it again next year to undo them. Then a landlord has bought a house for an investment and been screwed over by legislation.

Certainly not a chance I would take with new legislation popping up every few months.

Investments in the likes of property are supposed to be long term, and short term changes, or the threat of short term changes are not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It is simply not nice knowingly to watch somebody get in debt without telling them. The claim was it was nothing out of vengeance or hate but what your saying proves otherwise. You never answered how you would feel if somebody did similar to you.

Plenty of politicians break laws but they seem to get away with it, I have no problem with laws once they work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Revenue do it all the time.

They will let people get away with something they know about for years.

And then go for it in a big way collecting millions in taxes and penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

rates you pay to a local authority for the property

rents you pay for property such as ground rents

insurance premiums against fire and public liability

maintenance of your property such as cleaning, painting and decorating

property fees before you first rent out your property such as management, advertising, legal or accountancy fees

cost of any service or goods you provide that are not repaid by your tenant (such as electricity, central heating, telephone, service charges, water and refuse collection).

certain mortgage protection policy premiums

expenses in between renting out the property in certain circumstances

capital allowances

repairs, such as rot treatment, mending windows, doors or machines

certain pre-letting expenses on vacant residential property

the cost of registering with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Because the sale price of the property is back up to the highest height that the market was ever at.

so for those who bought at the peak around 2008 they can now get their initial investment back, something that didnt look likely for a long time pre covid, these can be reluctant landlords who might put the small bit of equity off their PPR.

Others see the market as being at a peak or on the upward and want to cash in before a drop, Some of those might be exiting the market for good and some might be selling in the hope of a downturn to reinvest or to reinvest elsewhere.

The staggering thing is that the level of rise in rents is not keeping people in the market. Rental income can have increased anywhere from 1k-6k annually in the last 24 months and thats a significant amount on an assets that isnt costing any extra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Wouldn't this be more like the car dealer being told the max he can charge a customer for a car.

Most renters would love to be told the dealer can't charge them more than X for a car... Sorry not actually agreeing or disagreeing with someone dictating rents, just the analogy seemed way off....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yeah there is a lack of logic where people are saying small LL forced out when they are making more now than they could ever have done before..

Just doesn't mathematically compute. Some LL's in Dublin renting Apt's will be getting 50+% more than in the tiger. How can one be losing now, especially if they still have a tracker.

Then again I look at the rented property as a long term investment opportunity that will pay for itself and rent is a handy way to help cover the mortgage in the meantime. Long term killing financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One of my close friends split up with his wife, they owned a house together. She bought him out, he then bought a house that a private landlord sold up. One less house is now available for rental. Not that delightful for people looking to rent.

• Advertisement

Okay, I'll try and put it another way, why is there not a max per unit on electric or gas prices per year, they have gone through roof the last few years.

The insurance companies can charge what they like with their cosy little cartels, no restrictions on them either, do you see where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Isn't that the very point you are arguing against? If the level of rent rises are 'staggering' and they are still leaving....something must be rotten.

As for accidental landlords, the vast majority of those have sold up and out by now and I doubt they ever made 10% of the landlord population 10 years ago.

For your 2nd point of them selling, and waiting for a crash. But none of the market fundamentals are pointing to a crash, no one think we are due one besides the 'we are at an all time high therefore crash' brigade. Landlords go into the business to be landlords not property speculators (and selling now and waiting for a crash would be nothing more than speculation) so that argument rings pretty hollow to me.

often rental property doesn't pay for itself.

When you take the mortgage and costs from the rent there can often be nothing left so people are paying the 50%-ish year on year taxation from elswhere, but everyone is different, small LL’s might have no mortgage or they might be interest only because of the financial pressure or even worse.

The Local Property Tax is not a deductible expense.

Neither is loss of rent between rental lettings.

And in my case who does 95% of repairs and maintenance around a property, I can't claim for my time which could be anything from a weeks work to a month between lets.

No, the point is that small or accidental LL’s have very different financial situations which can range from huge debts to wealthy.

I know one guy who has an apartment that was in negative equity since 2009, managed to buy elswhere went interest only on the apartment and has now seperated, so covering the costs associated with the apartment, maintenance for kids and renting a room elswhere, apartment is sale agreed and he wont come away with a penny from it just needs to wash his hands.

On the other end i know a person earning c120k, and their partner is earning a good bit more. Overpaying by €400 per month on their PPR and a 4 bed detatched house rented out with a value of close to 500k. They wont ever be stuck.

So small LL’s come from a large variation of financial situations and some far from pretty

as for the market fundamentals and people not thinking one is coming its safe to say that none of the commentators know whats around the corner and they have been terribly wrong before on many occasions.

LPT is incorporated in the rent. You increased the rent to cover for it.

There is no loss due to "loss of rent".

The maintenance is your own choice.

I will make this simple for you.

LPT is not deductible,

I can't claim for loss of rent when the house is vacant between lets,

And you think it's okay for a landlord not to be able to claim for his own time.

You can't claim for loss of rent, because it is not a loss. It leaves you with no tax liability for that period. Are you looking to double claim it?

Not allowing landlords to claim for their own time is a valid antifraud measure.

People seem to forget that the government gets half of any profit made after tax from the small landlord.

But the big REIT,s don't pay any tax at all, Try and figure that one out.

• Advertisement

You said you could claim in your original post along with LPT, you brought it up, not me, I'm just correcting you.

How do you make out it's a valid antifraud measure, plenty of other businesses can claim for their time, including the clowns that come up with these rules.

Advertisement