Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭PommieBast

General impression I get is that people would like to be back in the office, but they do not want to go back to spending 5-10 hours a week commuting. Based on what I was seeing just before I left, commuting into Dublin is going to be even worse post-Covid than it was pre-Covid, so any premium for having people onsite 5 days a week is going to rise.

Dublin's commercial space was a glut even before Covid, in part due to supposed preparation for a Brexit relocation bonanza that never really materialised. And it is not just estate agents who are wishfully thinking of a return to the old normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Some old news, from May 2021. Only now see it myself

"The Minister for Finance, Paschal Donohoe TD, will bring a Financial Resolution to the Dáil tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, which will impose a stamp duty charge of 10% on the multiple purchase of 10 or more residential houses"

If I get it right, Funds/Reits are basically out from the "House" market, and only viable option is Apartments. I remember I saw someone posting that Funds buying developments of "Houses", I'm curious if it happened any case after the announcement of Stamp Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

While there may be some WFH there will be for the next 5 years or so a hybrid approach most companies will keep an office/HQ also the major cities around the globe have benefited with vastly more money spent on infrastructure and housing as apposed to other cities in the same country. Case in Point Dublin vs Leitrim or New York Vs Alabama or London vs Newcastle. So while you may see some clear out these big city hubs will remain a place people want to live. It may be the chicken or egg came first story but companies setting up in say Dublin or London must of set up there for a reason first off, same goes people living in these areas there must of been some advantage or attraction to move there. It will be interesting to see if the WFH model takes off and becomes the new norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Didnt stop DCC buying up 3 entire apartment blocks in Cherrywood the other day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The key word is houses. It doesn't apply to apartments which is just plain stupid. There is also an exemption if the properties are going to be let to the council which is also very stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Perinternet having city offices to bring the workforce together made sense. But early adaptors have being subcontracting for Irish companies while living abroad for years now. Management culture can stagnate until an external shock forces change, and the pandemic has revealed massive cost savings that's shaking up the entire corporate landscape.

The internet has become mainstreet for shopping and downtown for business.

From the few team gigs I've done that required 9-5 presenteeism my entire workload could be completed in a few hours and the rest of the time was merely looking busy.

As comment above. It's Apartments in Cherrywood, not Houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot of London offices look like they may never be re-occupied again as they don't meet the new energy rules.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/16/10percent-london-offices-at-risk-of-becoming-obsolete-under-new-energy-rules.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So anyone interested in buying an apartment continues to get screwed

It seems so at least for the new builds, not sure about second hand apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Exactly.

Funneling all he people who wopuld have bought apartments into the housing market to cause more competition there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Shoreline Partnership has put a price tag of €46.4 million on 122 apartments it is proposing to sell to Fingal County Council for social housing.

That is according to planning documents lodged with Shoreline’s Strategic Housing Development (SHD) for the €464 million, 1,221 unit apartment scheme it is planning for Baldoyle in north Dublin.

The developers have put a €554,842 price tag on the three-bed apartments and a €427,887 cost on the two-bed apartments it is planning to sell to the council.

The cost of one-bed apartments to the council is to be €282,323. 

The Shoreline Partnership is owned by Avestus, which has directors with some dubious NAMA dealings, as highlighted by Mick Wallace under privilege in 2018; but I'm sure this Baldoyle apartment deal represents a good deal for the State and in no way did the institutional investors have any involvement in shaping the policies which have lead to the State purchasing properties from these same institutional investors.

Speaking under privilege, Mr Wallace said the company Avestus took over Quinlan Private in 2010.

"The three principal directors, Olan Cremin, Thomas Dowd and Peter Donnelly, had borrowed heavily during the boom, mainly from Anglo Irish Bank, and owed €489m when the crash came,” he said.

The €489m went across to NAMA and NAMA assembled a portfolio with €352m of this debt, naming it Project Nantes. The three boys went off to America to find someone to put up the money and found a company called Clairvue. They then set up a shell company in Luxembourg called Clairvue Nantes and installed another director of Avestus, Mark Donnelly, as a director of the Luxembourg company. He had been a director of Avestus since 2010 and became a director of Clairvue in 2012,” he said.

“The company bought Project Nantes for €26.6m, with a discount bringing the price to under 10% of the original value. This sale is in breach of the NAMA Act for multiple reasons. It was off-market, at a knock-down price and, worst of all, the purchaser was connected to the debtor which is illegal under section 172 of the NAMA Act,” he concluded.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

Sentiments changing:

"70% of Irish consumers expect house prices to rise over the next three years, according to a new survey by KBC Bank Ireland. Just 12% said they expect to see prices drop, while 5% see prices being broadly flat"

I'm afraid this may create a Bubble in coming years.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0818/1241558-most-consumers-expect-house-prices-to-continue-rising/

The bubble is already here and this is exactly the type of survey which backs up my current position that feelings have trumped data and fundamentals among the property market participants. Buyers want to buy now to avoid missing out on higher prices and sellers think they could hold off another couple years, especially if it seems like prices will keep rising. Like inflation, price rises are then self-fulfilling. It would appear that, right now, "no one can see it coming" (it being prices falling).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tigger123

I genuinely don't understand the line of thinking that says we're in a bubble. How are we in a bubble? Or how is a crash on the horizon?

Demand for housing is far outstripping the supply side, and has done for years.

What turn of events would lead to a crash in prices?

3 miracles in a row.

Some people believe in miracles.

If demand actually followed supply like it does in a properly functioning market, I would expect lower prices.

You have that backwards; supply needs to follow demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Prices are nowhere near bubble territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This really is not true.

You've convinced yourself it is as a potential future buyer.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with you, but we haven't had a properly function housing market for years at this stage, and won't have one for a long time either.

Logic by some convinced crashers in here.

If people think the property prices will fall, like in 2020. That means Crash is coming.

If people think opposite like in the recent article. That means Crash is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Government are spending money like water at the minute. They are the main player in the housing market according to the taoiseach.

They are more or less the rental market these days. And if you've been outbid on a house there's a fair chance it was government money that outbid you. With changes to corporation tax coming will the money keep rolling in? Ireland has very high debt pre covid any change of sentiment and our interest bill won't be long rising.

Any house I bid on in recent years (and I bid on a lot), while I may have been bidding against the Government, I was also bidding against a lot of FTBs, just like me. So even removing the Government from the market, there is still very strong demand for housing. And its a demand that far outstrips supply. While it is a player, I don't believe the Government is propping up the housing market.

What does it mean "main player"? if in the sense how much properties it controls, it's always was the case. This is the case for most of the countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the market is stabilizing price wise. Supply is the issue. Because of income multiple limits set by the Central Bank builders have found resistance to price increases. It's the same down the country and is slightly noticeable in one off builds. Builders were pricing with increased labour and material costs and are finding that people planning to build cannot afford it.

In the first half of the year all the exemptions to the income multiples were used up. This I believe was as much of an issue in price increases as savings and extra funds from parents. At the end of the year the reducing of the tax back from 10-5% will prevent any increases prices. If the market stabilises the panic to buy should slow down and stabilise the market further

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭This is it

By tax back from 10 to 5% are you referring to help to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

yes the HTB tax relief is being reset in December to 5%

Slava Ukrainii

Oops yes. Meant supply ramping up to match demand but things got flipped in my mind.. 😅

That is more or less why I have now left Ireland. I've ended up spending a good portion of the last 18 months stuck overseas and like many other non-Irish this sort of dysfunction is something I did not want as part of my post-Covid life.

• Advertisement

Firstly, if that was the case then you would also claim that Celtic Tiger prices/rents were not bubble prices/rents.

Quite simply, strip away QE, low interest rates and State sponsored rentals (approximately one third of rentals in the State receive some form of State assistance is the recent statistic in the media) and the housing market would falter or even crash. Even just extracting half of the current State-sponsored tenants in the private market and putting them in State-built and owned housing would have a noticeable impact.

However, the main point is that, if everything was so stable in the economy and the housing market, why is there such a gigantic QE programme and sustained low interest rate environment as well as the State needing to go in and buy up/take on the entire leasehold of developments in direct competition with individual buyers? We have had low levels of unemployment for years and consistent, strong GDP, so why is the State helping so many people to put a roof over their head and why are QE and low interest rates still necessary? Our economic prosperity of the 10s is almost a con and I feel strongly about that, that is like in the soviet union or 1984 where the serfs are told they have never had it so good. As such, the only way for property to remain as expensive as it is (rents in particular, but the bubble which arose in the rental market has also spilled into the purchasing market), is for the State to prop the whole thing up with continued supports.

Importantly, we are not out of the covid dead-cat bounce/euphoria as of yet and will not be for some time. So of course so long as the music is playing and the State/central banks are throwing money at the problems, there is less likely to be a crash. As such, we need to see the last of the covid supports withdrawn and restrictions eased before a fallout or a correction will occur. The latest guidance would indicate that we will still have some form of restrictions until spring 2022 so I don't think things will change other than to maybe get a bit worse before then.

That's not even to touch on some other things like the impact of Housing For All which may result in the delivery of 30000+ homes per year from the next couple of years onwards; SF/Labour/PBP government in 4 years and the impact this would have on the property market (I would suspect plenty of sellers will fear a drop in their home values so may look to sell before SF do damage to the market); necessity for increased property taxes; increases in interest rates (e.g. to combat inflation); Brexit; the predictions for tougher growth conditions for the big tech employers in the State; or even the impact of losing the €2bn in corporate tax per year (together with the accompanying loss in employment taxes and demand for rentals which would follow the corporate tax losses).

Advertisement