Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Plenty of people in need of heart replacements would be advised not to take the vaccine - as the risk of heart complications is much higher and has much worse outcomes.

This policy basically just states that the HSEs own infection controls in hospitals are not up to scratch, as they have no confidence of keeping transplant patients safe from infection post-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If that's the case then clearly people waiting on heart transplants are not going to be removed from the list. It's not like this stuff operates in a vacuum. The doctors who care for these patients, perform transplant surgery and manage clinical guidelines for waiting recipients are all part of the same small group. They're not going to advise patients against the vaccine and then remove them from the list for not getting it.

The letter posted above relates to kidney transplants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Any indications yet of what type of flu season is expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If restrictions continue until next year I assume they will be looking to extend emergency powers past November

A lot here were sure it wouldn't be extended

“We will always have concerns about the winter because it can bring on new variants and it can bring on new viruses. It can pose significant challenges to the health service and that’s why planning is already underway for a winter initiative,” he added.

The Taoiseach said Covid cases have a “disproportionate impact” on the health service and hospitals compared to non-Covid cases.

“We have to be mindful of the impact on the health services so that will always be a metric – we cannot ignore that because it impacts treatment of heart, cancer. You get a lot of delays so that’s a key metric,” he said.

We can never go back again to putting the huge imposition on frontline staff which happened in January and February. There will be constant monitoring.”

Extremely disturbing words from our Taoiseach and I'm surprised there is not a much bigger reaction. Doesn't sound like a leader who wants to remove restrictions.

Soon everyone who wants a vaccine will have been offered one and restrictions will still last into Spring 2022 at least. At what point do we accept that some of these will become permanent in Ireland? We were apparently a few weeks behind the UK. But will be almost a year behind in terms of removing restrictions.

Will we reach a stage were people have to leave the country if they want to enjoy some freedom in their lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Simply not true. A quick Google tells me people awaiting transplants are advised to get vaccines. The risk of covid complications far outweighing any risks from the vaccine itself.

Please dont make up false medical advice off the top of your head.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2021/03/05/14/38/quick-tips-and-considerations-for-covid-19-vaccination-in-heart-failure-and-transplant-patients

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

We can never go back again to putting the huge imposition on frontline staff which happened in January and February. There will be constant monitoring.”

unlike the imposition on frontline staff of not sorting out the health service before covid ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The flu has all but been eradicated due to the current regime of sanitization and restrictions , so like last year there will be little to no affect from the flu in regards to hospitalizations

Honest question, if you are one of the pro restrictions posters that were saying a few weeks ago that we just needed "Another few weeks" to get some more vaccinated, how do you feel today hearing the Taoiseach more or less confirm restrictions into next Spring?

Will you still support restrictions with almost everybody vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

As transplant recipients were not included in the large vaccine trials, there is currently little data on efficacy, safety or durability in this population. 

Current recommendations suggest transplant recipients should wait at least one month after transplant surgery to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, keeping in line with recommendations for other vaccines. This allows for routine reduction of immunosuppression after transplantation to hopefully allow for improved efficacy of the vaccine. However, COVID-19 vaccination should be postponed for three to six months following T-cell or B-cell depleting therapies (such as anti-thymocyte globulin, rituximab, etc.), whether given for induction immunosuppression or as treatment for rejection

Also states that of those who did get the vaccine pre-transplant, less than 50% even developed anti-spike antibodies. That recommendation is an ass-covering exercise by a US organisation - your own cardiologist will say different. Cocoon yourself until the transplant is ready, then its up to the hospital to adhere to strict infection controls, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I was never pro restrictions, but was always clinging onto "just a tiny bit longer". That's gone out the window now I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

You stated that the vaccine risked heart complications. Your support for this is there is little safety data. If there is little safety data how can you so confidently state that there is a risk of heart complications?

Your statement is reckless and you should retract it until a safety risk is actually known. Based on other vaccines and how we understand the COVID vaccines work there is little to suggest the risk you are implying exists outweighs the benefits of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

So it's impossible for J&J vac to kill someone and the family are lieing about it because they are anti-vaxxers?

Is that your position?

If your son got sick an hour after taking a vaccine and died a few days later would you have the same position?

@[Deleted User] wrote:

how do you feel today hearing the Taoiseach more or less confirm restrictions into next Spring?

What restrictions were confirmed to still be in place into next Spring?

All I see is a lot of people reading way more into a conversation and into journalists' opinions, declaring what is definitely going to happen without a roadmap.

In fact, I just rewatched the interview, and it's clear that Martin is going to great pains to avoid making any "teaser" suggestions that could be taken up the wrong way.

Nothing in the interview suggests the continuation of restrictions past Xmas, never mind into Spring. The roadmap "may" also go into next year. Virtually all closed areas will be open before Xmas - "many considerably before", according to Martin.

On masks and distancing, what he actually said was, "there will always be a need for social distancing & mask wearing in certain scenarios". One can choose to think that he's talking about pubs and shops here, but a more rational read is that he's talking about hospitals, nursing homes and other scenarios where vulnerable people may be present.

If he was saying that masks would be widespread, he would have said, "In most scenarios". "Certain scenarios" makes it clear that masks will only be required in specific settings.

The flu was heavily suppressed by masks and social distancing. Once countries start relaxing these measures, influenza and other communicable diseases will start making a resurgence. That's why it's really important to know what kind of influenza season is expected. I have no idea how you are concluding influenza won't impact hospitals. It may, it may not.

No it's not impossible. However, can you prove this person wouldn't have died anyway in the same way if they didn't get the vaccine?

J&J has an associated risk to a very specific clotting disorder and the 23 year old shouldn't have got this vaccine imo if they had no underlying risk to COVID. That said, this clotting disorder should be distinguishable in a post mortem. At that point there would be an indication as to whether or not the individual died by a condition associated with the vaccine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's just one possibility and it could also be other possibilities. A post mortem will provide much better details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The Taoiseach said Covid cases have a “disproportionate impact” on the health service and hospitals compared to non-Covid cases.

It took them several months to allow staff to wear masks who were asking to be let wear them, long after the outbreak. I know staff that were told to remove masks before this guidance was issued: New guidance extends use of face masks among healthcare workers (thejournal.ie)

Secondly, staff weren't vaccinated in the period the Taoiseach mentions. Now essentially everybody is masked and vaccinated.

Extremely disturbing words from our Taoiseach and I'm surprised there is not a much bigger reaction. Doesn't sound like a leader who wants to remove restrictions.

I agree

• Advertisement

I can't see any reason why masks should ever be removed in the healthcare settings especially for staff. It's such a cost effective infection prevention measure.

'flu requires seeding in the same way that any infection does really. It's considerably less infectious than covid, which suggests that in normal circumstances a flu' season which becomes visible in October and peaks around late December, is initially seeded from August-September.

So I expect this year for 'flu to remain quite considerably suppressed because the opportunity for it to be seeded is reduced and there are still some measures in place.

We may see it peak much later and much shallower, perhaps Feb/March instead of December.

I don't think any of the experts are saying anything specific about it though except, "Let's assume it'll be a normal 'flu season and prepare accordingly". Which is the most prudent thing to do.

Agree with that reasoning to a point. Last year restrictions globally were comparatively more strict than they are now. This year things, even in Ireland, are considerably more relaxed. Influenza will have a much better opportunity to spread. The question is whether it's infectious enough to overcome the lighter restrictions that are now in place and to what extent. I'm not quite convinced it will be suppressed to the point of being negligible which is seemingly what some are claiming. Last year most of Europe had stringent lockdowns. This year we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is just more of the same that we heard when the kites were flying for the delay to indoor dining, I remember being told that we were reading far too much into those conversations and opinions also.

Call it a rational read all you want but its hard not to think of the conspiracy theorists "boiled frog" description.

I think that come springtime we will still be reading justifications like this.

Comments associated with the unfortunate death of the footballer would not want to jump to conclusions. From information shared on social media it has been suggested that the illness that caused the death followed 1 hour after vaccination. This would strike me as being an unbelievable coincidence if the information is accurate. However the major clots associated with the AZ and J&J vaccines have been observed 4 days after vaccination. They are caused by the immune response which does not happen within an hour.

Severe immediate reaction is more likely down to allergic reaction or incorrect injection technique.

The other thing is coincidences happen every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Are restrictions that much less than last year?It seems quite similar to last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It all just boils down to poor planning and communication Seamus. We wouldn't all be speculating if they just released the plan now instead of waiting another week and half. It's a daft approach and one that makes zero sense. His comments will be read differently depending on the person reading them. What you say makes sense but it's equal valid to suggest SD and masks will be prevalent for indoor settings such as pubs, restaurants, music events, until the spring. As they say, nature abhores a vacuum.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Flu season typically runs from October to May. (Peak usually being December to Feb.) For most of this season last year Europe had stringent restrictions in place. I don't think the same level of restrictions will be in place for the coming flu season.

@JRant wrote:

It all just boils down to poor planning and communication Seamus. We wouldn't all be speculating if they just released the plan now instead of waiting another week and half.

Ah look, I'm with you on that. "We'll have a plan at the end of the month" smacks of, "We know we're not making any changes before September, so we don't need to do any work on it". I was as irritated by them saying it at the start of this month as I am now.

I can appreciate that in the spirit of not wanting to roll back any restrictions, they wanted to see how August panned out before providing a roadmap. But they should have produced something. Even if it was littered with asterisks about infection levels and vaccination rates, it would answer the very simple questions like, "Will we see live indoor gigs this side of Xmas", "Will outdoor events like Xmas markets and Octoberfest be open", "Can I have a kids' birthday party at a play centre in October".

The answer doesn't have to be "definitely, 100% yes". People will be happy with, "Yes, that is absolutely the plan".

If they'd had the foresight to do this, then the likes of the Dublin Marathon could have pressed ahead instead of just abandoning because nobody could give them any semblance of an answer as to whether an event could be held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It sets a very dangerous precedent for other measures imo, when the jury is still out on whether the vaccines are even that effective or not, Israel data is eye opening in how ineffective the 2 doses are to vulnerable and I am far from convinced by the vaccines effectiveness myself

If I was unvaccinated right now, I would be very scared I would not be treated fairly in a hospital and scared I would be discriminated and sneered at for refusing a vaccine that's still only improved for emergency use.

A look at this eejit here who refused a vaccine, let him suffer for that dumb decision and believe me many health care people think like that. Morons exist in every walk of life.

I was in specsavers 2 weeks ago, getting my eyes tested and an optician there says, sure you are all vaccinated to us sitting in the seating area, I nodded yes ( didn't appreciate the question, makes no difference if I was or not a stupid question ) and a woman about 30 years old, says sorry I am not.

The optician lost it, told her to leave and wait in the car until called, you could have infected us all she said 🤣

The poor young woman was mortified, she got an apology off the manager when she returned as it was ridiculous.

My point is absolute morons exist everywhere

Doctors in North Texas considered taking COVID-19 patients vaccination status into account when determining who got ICU beds until they were set straight.

Advertisement