Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Well obviously I watched Suarez every chance I could when he played for us but that was because he played for us, I wouldve watched us anyway so doesnt really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Massive game for us this weekend,

We got beat in this fixtures last year and if we are to be contenders we need the full 3 this time , We haven't beat them in a few years at home as it was 1-1 the season before that,

With Chelsea up the following week a game which we could easily lose it makes this weekend even more important ,

I expect us to go out fired up and after a frantic first half we will grind them down to win by a couple in the second, Mane & MO to score also a sneaky feeling VVD will score a header

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Seen a Gerrard v Lampard v Scholes debate for the 10,000th time and obviously Stevie is the best in my eyes but I can at least admit the two were absolutely superb players. I find it absolutely mental how dismissive (mainly United fans tbh) are of Gerrard.

• Advertisement

Lampad was a great goal scorer but to me the debate is only Scholes v Gerrard ,

I think Scholes seems to become better with fans every extra season he is retired, Don't forget Fergie once singed Veron to replace him, he also wanted to sign Gerrard

Both lads played at the same time and Scholes played in a better team but Gerrard was the one picking up every individual award you could think off,

Scholes was a great player no question and became a more important player late on in his time ,

Gerrard was an absolute force of nature he would blow top teams away on his own , absolute remarkable footballer,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Fabinho’s father passed away. May put him out of contention for tomorrow.

Keita - Hendo - Thiago

I seen that hope he can travel to the funeral ,

I reckon Milner starts as 6 again ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tough on Fab, hard time being away.

Not important in that context, but he'd be a huge loss tomorrow, defensive headers etc. Bobby must play if Fab is missing for that reason alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rafa signs his first former Liverpool player for Everton, Andy Lonergan.

• Advertisement

Very under whelming transfers window for us ,

Can't believe we haven't replaced Gini & still have Origi & Takki as our back up forwards,

I know people will talk about lads getting new contract and VVD back but its very disappointing ,

The talk of anyone coming in has all but died looks like we are done for this summer ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Those games were with no fans so lets see what it will be like with fans back in the ground, and with Liverpool not playing midfielders in defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our issue is who could we sign that makes the team? Who gets in, and who are we dropping. City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal all need first teamers. I guess we could do with a decent benchwarmer, but that's about it.

If Shaq, leaves then Minamino takes his place and won't go out on loan, also Elliott to compete for that bench spot. I can understand why we haven't signed anyone else.

We need better back up than Origi & Taki , Mane was shocking for a long time and we had no adequate replacement,

Gini started most games last season be necessity & he has left ,

If last season thought us anything its that a better squad is needed ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm enjoying the fact nobody yet seems to expect Liverpool to challenge for the League.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I'm delighted we are been overlooked to be honest. Given the quality of the first XI and our manager its a bit ridiculous that all of a sudden just Chelsea and United are been talked about as City challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

17 years ago today...

...i have so many happy memories of watching those two play. Xabi's right up there with my favourite past players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree, always nice to go slightly under the radar. Chelsea were very good after Tuchel came in, and Lukaku will make a big difference to them, will be close. I genuinely think we'll finish ahead of United, but they've made some big transfers so it's easy to see why the attention is on them

Utd will be interesting, as Ole now has absolutely nowhere to hide. the only thing he can actually complain about is not having a world class DM. but that's so small compared to what he's been given.

Chelsea are a funny one for me. undoubtedly Tuchel has been brilliant, but I think that team is more likely to trip up against the crap of the league than the rest of the top 4, but more likely to beat the other big teams. just a gut feeling. but Lukaku could change that as he is the quintessential flat track bully.

City are City. when you're a wall of money, you always have options, so they're the team to beat.

I just think Liverpool have the most reliable defence if they stay fit, and the best goalscorer in that top 4 if Kane doesn't go to City. and Fabinho the best DM. and a track record with that team of putting together a ridiculous run of results.

i think we're being slept on a little, but I completely understand why, and genuinely have absolutely no issue with it. it's nice after all the hype around the team for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We were top until start of Jan 2021,

We also topped the table for the games Feb to May, we had a blip of a few games, losing 6 in a row at home was it?

And City were so poor last season, points total wise, and lost already this season.

I think we walk to the title this season, naa we stroll to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is it bad that I think we’re favourites? At least I fancy Liverpool’s chances. Quietly confident of a very strong start to this season.

Ole's problem will be when his whole squad is fit,

Pogba just played his best game for them from left wing, he won't start there when everyone fit, and the Pogba "problem " will start again ,

We've a few too many question-marks for me to get bullish about things. IMO we're 3rd favourites right now, with Chelsea first and City second. That swaps if City get a proper striker/focal point in though.

We'll know in a month or so how our returning players are doing, and if our poor-performers last season have stepped up a gear.

Chelsea for me will draw to many games,

SO i can't see them wining it unless its a bad year for everyone else,

Prior to getting Lukaku i'd have agreed, but I think Lukaku will turn a lot of those draws into wins. He brings a totally different dimension to their game that they didn't have before, especially against those stubborn defensive teams.

i'm not so sure , i think Big Rom may slow them down a tad bit ,i'm not convinced that he has turned into something different or even that much better,

Remember in the last 2 season in Italy Immobile out scored him by about 9 league goals & he's hardly stellar , I'm not convinced ,

The one thing he's never struggled with is being a battering ram against poorer teams, which is exactly what Chelsea need for those potential drawn games you mentioned. Totally different type of player to Immobile, and a much better fit for their squad. He's also a much better finisher than Werner, which by default adds a hell of a lot more goals to their game. Not to mention that I very much doubt he'll be used the way Jose used him at Utd, as a back to goal player dropping deep and having to hold the ball and try to create something without a tactical plan. He'll be 20 yards closer to goal for Chelsea, and will play more like he does for Belgium I'm sure.

You said you reckoned they'd draw too many. Chelsea draw games when they have loads of possession in the final third, but can't force the issue and make something happen. Very few CFs in the world disrupt an opponent in the box like Romelu Lukaku does. His colossal presence alone in those moments will cause the bit of chaos needed to open things up. Think he's ideal for them tbh, moreso than he might be for other teams (like ourselves).

I could see City suffering from the 'too many draws' thing if they don't get a forward in alright though.

City and Chelsea have to be favorites simply down to squad depth they have that depth to survive injuries and Covid outbreaks and any other form of attrition that will effect the other teams in the league.

Liverpool need to have a near prefect injury free season to give them a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Good news for #LFC. Andy Robertson back in full training after ankle injury. Tomorrow likely to come too soon but should start v Chelsea next weekend. 

Mr James Pearce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't think they should be rushing Robbo back myself to be honest have him rehab the injury till after the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

We need a new reason to have a massive open-top bus celebration in the city next May…….. let the journey begin!

Klopp is such a great orator and to think English is his second language.

Klopp really just has that aura and charisma about him if he wasn't in football you could see him running a billion dollar company or running a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Agree, let him rest for a bit for once and I thought Tsimikas played really well against Norwich. But I had a look at who the Scots are playing, all three games are WC qualifiers so I'm sure Robbo is eyeing them up, they'll make or break their qualifying and we know he'll play every minute if he can. We can rest him but the Scots won't.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they'll at least rest him for the middle one against Moldova... will definitely start against Denmark and Austria, and 3 games is an awful lot for a lad coming back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

I was just having this conversation the other day with some friends, I'm not all that worried about Chelsea tbh but the way I put it was that whoever finishes above us will win the league. I mean if I'm being honest I reckon we would have won the league last year had just Virgil managed to stay fit out of all our centre backs, never mind a second one or all of them. Our midfield is definitely weaker for losing Wijnaldum, especially cos of his sheer dependability in terms of fitness but having said that Thiago only played 10-15 league games last season through injuries that were impact injuries so it's not like he is injury prone. He also missed games due to contracting Corona, so I'm hoping he can fill most of the void left by Gini.

Elsewhere I know it's only 1 game but Mane looked sharper against Norwich than he has for 15-18 months which is very exciting as a fully fit and firing Mane makes such a huge difference to everything. Basically last season was an anomoly for many many reasons. Apart from last season Liverpool and City pushed the points benchmark to win the title up to about 100 points over the last few seasons which has basically never been done in the premier league era so to assume Chelsea can do it is quite the leap for me, we know ourselves and city can. That feat is as much mental as it is physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Great to see so many are positive about our chances as opposed to the "we didn't sign anybody" doom and gloom merchants. I too am very bullish about the new season. We are essentially back to the squad that won 26 out of their first 27 games the season before last, swapping Gini for Thiago. As Toby has pointed out it was a terrible 2 month spell last season that messed us up, otherwise we were on track for number 20.

City are City, they realistically can't get any better than the machine that won 100 and then 98 points even with Kane and we were right with them for the 98 season then got 99. Chelsea are obviously better but still have to prove they can go at that sort of pace and United have a very good squad but a weakness in the managers office. Shame they don't have tough game until mid October but the season is long and we all play the same teams twice.

Us Optimists might all be proven wrong but if you can't have (sometimes deluded😁) hope as a footy fan what's the point of it all.

Klopp has confirmed that new contract talks are under way with Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

"Liverpool are hoping to tie Mo Salah down to a two-year extension, keeping him at Anfield until 2025 and making him the highest-paid player in the club’s history, earning around £250,000 a week. Sources are confident he will agree an extension."

They'll be doing well if they get him for £250,000

• Advertisement

Would have to be 250k base, with a whooole bunch of scoring/achievement bonuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah Liverpool are known for having a relatively low base salary with absolutely mad bonuses so I can only imagine the eye watering ancillaries that come with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If it drives Mo to score a bagful of goals and assists, they can give him all the bonuses in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is Jota expected to start today or anywhere to get a reliable early team leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Waking up on a Saturday morning with a fresh head knowing that the Mighty Reds are playing at home with fans in the ground with KO in less than 2 hours.

Unreal

Any hint of a reliable team yet?

Bobby or Jota is the biggest decision really. I think I would go with Jota from the start for his quick bursts into space over 2 or 3 yards, and also his ability to move from wide to central areas.

Seen a rumour saying Harvey Elliot starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Henderson and Elliott come in for Milner and Ox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Wow, Elliott starts because Milner has a knock. Looking forward to seeing him play. Actually you could say he replaces Ox either. Ox not even on the bench, is he injured (again) I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1429028030484205568?s=20

• Advertisement
Advertisement