Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's nothing like a deal. Wouldn't pay anything over 15k for a 2017 ioniq now. That's what mine was with with 69k km 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Asking prices are certainly strong.

But are sellers actually getting those prices....

That's the vital question.

In other news.....

These are lovely cars to actually drive and use.

That really surprised me tbh.

And I still haven't used sport mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I traded in my ioniq for a preregistered 21 Soul. It cost me 13,500 + the ioniq (2018 premium se with ~90,000 on clock)

When I say "pre-registered" soul, it was registered by the dealer on the Monday and I bought it on the Thursday. There is 13km (13 not 13,000) on the clock. The new cost of the Soul is €37.5k (ex delivery). I've no idea how much the preregistration "devalued" the car.

If we assume no devaluation due to preregistration I got €24000 for trade in

If we assume devaluation of €3000 (€1k per day depreciation seems excessive !) I still got €21000

Whatever way it's calculated it looks like there is still plenty of demand for the classic ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I got 16.5k for a white 171 with 95k up.

Car was advertised by dealer for 18k.

It was gone within the week.

I have to assume the dealer at least got his 16.5k back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

So my wife has just been told the 12V battery replacement will be 240 euro - do these dealers think we print money?

It is 'just' a 12v battery. I had mine out in 3mins. Surely any generic 12v can go back into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Any can go in, and most would be better than the standard issue Hyundai one as it's not powerful enough.

Paid €80 at Motorway for an exact fit one. Why you'd waste your time asking a dealer for a car battery I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Halfords have two in stock for the Classic Ioniq, when we change will probably go for the Yuasa. Probably can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/?isVrnSearch=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

That's Robbery , ask for the dealer (for the craic to itemise the breakdown, ie how tmuch for the battery, what make etc and how long its take to fit)

Im not sure customers should pay for a replacement for possible software/firmware issue , that's leads to failing batteries

Just to put things in perspective, my previous car an Alfa, had a battery that latest 12 /14 years , never had a non start

Im open to correction a battery costs about 90 e retail, any garage would buy these at 50e wholesale

240e minus 50 = 190 for labour , for five minutes work

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a hope to get even a high miler for €14-15k

All second hand cars are keeping their value well. Pure EVs better than any other type. On a different note, I spotted a Blazing Yellow Ioniq right here in Lucan a couple of days ago. I wonder was it that £13999 on AutoTrader UK that I posted about several times in the bargains thread. If so respect to the new owner in Ireland, they got themselves a smashing deal on a great car.

@irishgrover - you got yourself a sweet deal on the eSoul 😎

Yesterday's mini drama.

While charging i pressed the power button to show someone something.

But the car then would not shut down properly until I first got the charger disconnected.

Not a huge problem on a wider level.

But it raises the question - can you safely* power up the car to run heating and radio while sat at a rapid in Winter.

*12 volt issues

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can but make sure the car symbol on the dash is green and not orange, if it's green the car is "on" and the traction battery is engaged if it's orange then it is using the 12 volt. If I am pulling in somewhere to charge and want to sit in the car I just don't turn it off before I plug in.

you should be able to shut down the car by pressing the power button without unplugging though, you might need to press it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Never had any issues with turning my EV's on while rapid charging. It is totally allowed/acceptable to do that. I dont have an Ioniq though.

It clearly shouldnt go into drive while plugged in, so there are no safety concerns.

Strange one. Noticed this morning that one of the "boot clasps" (4x in the car) in the car has sheared off completely. Anyone know where I'd pick up a replacement / can I even replace it?

Not sure it's essential, but I think I'd find some use in having the luggage net in the boot (example - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Floor-Style-Trunk-Cargo-Hyundai/dp/B07MX2RMCH ) but in current situation can't as only 3 clasps remaining in situ!

Yeah I had that too. Dealer didn't really want to know, they had none in stock and a quick google I did myself did not come up with anything. That was a good few years ago though, you might have better luck this time.

On a really short 3 km drive - is it normal for consumption to be higher then on a longer drive....

Hi All

smart cruise control question

You engage smart cruise control

for example of the slow lane of a motorway, you set your speed to 100kmh

There is one car in front of you doing 80, so the Ioniq does 80

The car in front leaves the MWay

Ioniq speeds up to 100kmh, (perhaps speeds up too quickly, not gradual)

To your right in the middle lane, imagine we have several cars doing 90

The effect is you rapidly underpass these cars

Is there a way to slow down the auto acceleration, so its more gradual

• Advertisement

yup - as likely you don't cruise as long, and also potential that your HVAC was on which is a big energy user to get the cabin to the setting you want.

Basically "getting up to a speed" and "getting the cabin acclimatised" are the two biggest electricity users. On longer journeys you generally average out this 'cost' over far more miles / kilometres, meaning it can even 'get lost' in the consumption stats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shorts drives suffer what we call “departure tax”, lots of short drives will consume a lot more energy than a single trip of same distance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Was phoned by the dealer where I bought my 172, mad keen to discuss options.

Paying fir a new car will kill me though. I bought this car based on diesel savings & road tax savings allowing for a repayment on an equivalent diesel.

With the low hanging fruit gone, I'm just into a change for the sake of it.

Where have those who departed ioniq land gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

ID.4 1st. Ioniq is/was great, but it's size didn't suit us. The range was ok for us, but tbh the extra range of the ID.4 is great. Much less planning ahead required, and much more scope for taking an extended drive somewhere. You're right about the "low hanging fruit" being gone. The ID.4 is/was a big chunk of change to upgrade to, and traditionally i'd never have gone new, but there was nothing electric out there that was good enough 2nd hand. Reverting to petrol/diesel was very much on the cards given the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ioniq 28 >> soul 64

Went for Soul because it has the best specs for the money.

Have it 4 months and 10,000km. Very happy with it.

Several of the forum regulars (myself included) have gone from Ioniq to Tesla Model S. A natural choice. Ioniq is an excellent car, Tesla Model S is more of the same. Bigger, faster, more range, more advanced. The ultimate family car. Room for 5 (or even 7) plus a load of luggage and faster than a Ferrari if you go for Performance models.

I test drove the Ioniq 5 this week. A superb EV, most likely the best in its class. In my mind was trading in my Model S for the Ioniq 5 early next year as my car will be out of full warranty by then. You can see my review of the Ioniq 5 (or look at any of the well known professional car journalists review of the car if you don't believe me). It is excellent, the best there is. Apart from the Teslas, which are simply many years ahead. Although not nearly as well made as VW cars, never mind up to Hyundai / Kia standards.

Hi Unkel, can you add a link to your review, please

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id say if you went for the savings on diesel and covid has negated that. Then there is zero reason to change ..other than a phone call from a salesman that puts you in more debt.

Keep the car assume it suits your needs it's an ideal EV. You'd be mad to change.

• Advertisement

It's in the last few pages of the Ioniq 5 thread:

Make sure to watch the review from "Nobby on cars" though. It is far more comprehensive than mine. And he is a pro. Also look up the review from "the late brake show"

Advertisement