Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah bless , some people have real problems too you know .

No its not peachy but it isn't as bad as some here would have you believe .

We are almost as fully vaccinated as we can be and hospital cases while rising are manageable.

While that is the case it can't be used as an excuse to keep restrictions other than maskwearing and reduced capacity indoors past Setember early October.

I don't believe in conspiracies against us so would wholeheartedly agree with outrage and rebellion if we were kept locked down in that scenario.

But if the numbers change and start to become unmanageable I would be the first to agree with keeping restrictions unfortunately, as it would directly affect me , where I work and in my family .

And I do understand that restrictions as they are affect many people adversely . We all have issues to deal , sad but true .

But this constant negativity on here is soul destroying , worse than any restrictions

This is not debate or discussion.

You want to see how that goes, head over to the Vaccine Megathread.

This is just one major Whingefest !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not good enough. They had a range of scenarios available to them and could have linked reopening to certain scenarios. If we exceeded those then we then we don't move to the next phase.

Schools going back is not an easing of restrictions and seems to now be worded as such "hey, schools are back open, aren't we great, more easing to come, just hold firm for a few more weeks".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

No every time I responded he misinterpreted it .

They have?

I must have completely imagined the full houses at both Bledisloe cup games recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

1.5-2% is the current CHR ( case hospitilisation rate ) for all people, I am presuming vaccinated are doing better than non vaccinated, but I was wrong, they are doing worse

Last I saw 10% of cases are fully vaccinated people

2000 cases a day

200 = fully vaccinated

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-wave-5500144-Jul2021/

45% of hospital admissions are fully vaccinated Tony said yesterday

We get 40 admissions on average for 2000 cases now

45% of 40 = 18

200/18 = 9% CHR ( case hospitilisation rate ) for fully vaccinated

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/covid-19-ireland-how-many-24802687

• Advertisement

I hear the slums in Mumbai are quite lovely this time of year as well.

So prove it then.

It's pretty simple to prove

Take the daily cases per day, pick any day you want, find out how many cases in that total were fully vaccinated and find out how many of them were hospitalised

You've got your CHR for fully vaccinated

They'd want to start acting like it then. Early July was the last easing of restrictions and we are likely into mid September before anything else. How does that correlate to a government that believes vaccines work and are a way out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You've misinterpreted my posts and now his too - 😆

Are you for real ?

I work in ICU !

I don't need statistics although I appreciate you and others do .

I never said it was totally all Covid and nothing else.

However I repeat for the 4th time , those with Covid or tested positive for Covid in ICU . whether that be their main complaint or not , where I work, are very, very sick people with multi organ failure and disease , not because of their primary condition, or even their underlying conditions , but because of Covid .

There are a myriad of degrees of illness in the Covid patients outside of ICU , ranging from A FEW ASYMPTOMATIC isolated because tested positive but being treated for something else , to SOME SYMPTOMATIC who are unwell enough not to be discharged as Covid has flared their underlying conditions , and some who are deteriorating DUE TO COVID and will be admitted to ICU if they don't improve.

I can't explain it any more than that , but your simplistic view of Covid in hospital is embarrassing at this stage .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This proof would be severely flawed. If 100% of the population is vaccinated. 100% of all hospital cases would be vaccinated. It would be unreasonable to conclude from this the vaccines don't work.

Instead, consideration must be given to the disease incidence and age profile. Compare those with the corresponding profiles when there was no vaccine and see how the situation compares.

IF you consider many people are in hospital with conditions or for therapy that prohibit them from being vaccinated (let say an autoimmune disease).

So they could be sitting there and get swabbed every 24 hours. day 3 and they pop positive but are completely asymptomatic . Technically they are a covid case in hospital and unvaccinated too boot. The report is laid out on the news as if these folks are antivaxxers turning up gasping and collapsing in ambulance bays!

it goes back once more to simple classification, you'd swear it was required in Linnaean taxonomy classification FFS!

It's framed a such, and many other things are too. People can only digest and assimilate what they are fed everyday. only outliers will seek healthier greener pastures, media reports are poison at present.

COVID ICU occupancy cases have risen from about 10 to 50 in a few weeks. No restrictions have been reimposed as of yet. The government likely has confidence that the vaccines have helped suppressed the rate of growth of ICU cases.

You havent refuted anything I've said which is that the total number of patients in hospital with covid =/= the total number of patients admitted for covid

A person with broken bones, who happens to test positive will be recorded as a patient in hospital with covid. It's dishonest reporting - we know that at least 11% are totally asymptomatic, the other 89% can range from a cough or cold to needing oxygen or mechanical ventilation - but its very likely they are not all very sick (because majority aren't in ICU)

A good number are and are very sick also on the Covid wards regardless whether Covid was their admitting complaint or not .

They gave the asymptomatic figures versus the symptomatic but still not good enough for you .

Do you want to read their files as well ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Schools are going back and, by the look of things we are going back into a lockdown to suppress the virus again.

The data re young people leaving, em, I know at least twenty graduates of class of 2021 who are going, why on earth would they stay here, they couldnt even get into McDonalds in July because of the health system in this country. They are free to live and work in any European country so they are off to Spain, France, Germany, The Netherlands, the Uk, they will put their third level education to good use and will be welcome wherever they go.

I think its fantastic to see them making plans to go, I wouldnt wish the winter we are going to have on anyone, so sick of Paul Reid tweeting about vaccinations, why isnt he being pinned down on what has been done since March 2020 re beds and staff, where are the Doctors and nurses who came home, wete they all employed on permanent contracts or will it be a case of taking over private hospitals again.😢

We are going to be locked down again by October, vaccines wont protect the very vulnerable so young people are going to give up another year of their lives for nursing home residents.

As for suicides, am aware of eight people who died by suicide, mostly young adults but figures also includes adults who were left with care of physically snd mentally disabled adult children, children literally turfed out of residential care with a few days notice and families left with no support.

I really dont know what bubble you are living in,anorexia figures have ballooned too, young people with no control of anything in their lives except what they eat, stuck in bedrooms with no school or college, no peer support, abused by elderly people for spreading the virus.

You quite clearly arent a parent and havent much contact with young people, your sneering is beyond pathetic, I dont know if you are paid to belittle problems other people have experienced because of covid but you seriously need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement

All of these patients are immunosupressed.

Nobody can get a transplant with a cough or a sniffle as they would inevitably become seriously ill and could compromise not only ther health but every other patient in the transplant unit .

All of these patients know this and have been on medications for so long and dialysis and would do anything to get their lives back to normal.

I would very much doubt that any who want a transplant or their families , would subscribe to the type of rant being spouted on that video .

" Tyranny " and " freedom " . Indeed .

We all know who is behind that and she is the biggest conspiracy loon in the country !

Buddy on WhatsApp who's a second cousin once removed to a guard.

They don't give us that data to compare, they tell us **** all only case numbers daily, no demographic breakdown, no vaccinated breakdown, one headline figure like they are talking to 5 year olds.

All I know is 4.5% of cases went to hospital in Nov 2020 pre vaccines, 2% of cases go to hospital now with 85% fully vaccinated adult pop and 45% of those cases are fully vaccianted.

Is that a huge improvement

Not really imo, I expected better

2% of flu cases don't go to hospital and I expected vaccine's to turn covid into flu lethality.

Too many cases are going to hospital, too much transmission, hence continued restrictions till Spring/Summer 2022

Vaccines didnt finish this.

Yup. They gave us 11% asymptomatic, no breakdown of severity of symptoms in the other 89%. Very unlikely that the entire other 90% are all in hospital for their covid symptoms - much more likely that some are in for covid, some are in for other stuff and just happen to have mild covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's a fair cherrypicking of data there, given that the "10% of cases" figure was a month ago.

The reality is that without knowing the age profile of those in hospital, all of your calculations are wrong because they're based on assumptions:

1. Vaccination is evenly spread across all age groups.
    2. Hospital admissions are evenly spread across all age groups.
    3. Everyone admitted to hospital is admitted for severe covid

Which we know are wrong assumptions.

That is, someone in the 70+ age group who develops symptomatic covid while vaccinated is at a considerably higher risk of requiring hospitalisation than a 26 year old in the same scenario. The CHR is about 3-4% amongst the whole population, but it's 20-35% for people over 65.

Which means that even among the vaccinated older cohorts, we will see a higher incidence of hospitalisations. If it's only 9% for them, then that would be amazing.

But unfortunately we've had no age profile of hospital cases since May, so we're stuck.

I may be missing something here but how does the continued use of restrictions with over 80% of the population vaccinated show that the government believe vaccines are the way out of this?

I mean, not reimposing restrictions isn't exactly something to celebrate when other countries around Europe are dropping all restrictions soon (or at least plan too).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@taxiperson wrote:

The data re young people leaving, em, I know at least twenty graduates of class of 2021 who are going

OK so. Rock solid data there. I'd say Paschal is sh1tting himself.

I understand Seamus

It is wrong and cherrypicked, but they don't give us that data to do it correctly.

They tell us nothing and it's very frustrating like you said, why they are hiding it I don't know.

They surely know by now the max cases we can have per day to not overwhelm hospital system.

When we had no vaccine's and no data in March 2020 they had many models predicting this and that and now nothing, 85% fully vaccinated and they can't predict anything.

Just wait for Tony to come out of shadow again. Last year it has not happened well when he returned a day earlier.

• Advertisement

Last year wet pubs did not get a chance to open up despite the fact that they were given a date...same thing gonna happen to entertainment industry this year.

We'll be lucky if by this Christmas we'll still have our outdoors dining open...never mind indoors

Advertisement