Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My apologies for answering your question with numbers and facts. Let me try to respond Republican style.

"of course it's a failure lol kamala hasn't even walked the entire border".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The collapse of South Vietnam didn't hurt America's relationship with its allies in both Europe and the Pacific. So I don't see how it's reasonable to believe that the fall of Kabul affects America's willingness to defend Poland or the Baltic states or any other European country that is in NATO in the event of Russian military aggression. Biden has never made a disparaging comment about NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it is too early to tell. Certainly this year has seen an increase, but does the US have a better capacity to deal with the increase? Have they put in place the needed resources. Trump's policy failed, there is no doubt about that. He said he would stop it, said he would build a wall. Even as we came close to the 2020 election he was still saying it would get done.

So I don't think it unreasonable to see the longer term outcomes of the new policies.

But I think that the issue is not as big as it is made out. The US has plenty of capacity, and need, for these immigrants. Trump made it a big issue, but for the vast amount of Americans it isn't even a thing. Those living close to the border, of course, but are people in NY really worried about it? Trump did a great job in making it almost the No1 issue facing the US. Way more important than education, healthcare etc.

Time will tell. IT takes a long time to see progress in these very complex issues. Trump took the simple approach, simply lock the doors, but that doesn't deal witht he underlying issues and eventually the issue will resurface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Celticfire

"In July, 27% of border encounters involved migrants with at least one previous encounter within the past year, according to CBP statistics. That was up from an average of 14% between the 2014 and 2019 fiscal years, before Title 42 took effect."

Talk about cherry-picking data. Why is one month compared with the average of 45 months data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

Because July was the highest month in the last 21 years, and the question was being asked about why it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Well it stands to reason that if an average number is 14 then over 45 months there will have been numbers both higher and lower than that. What was the highest percentage over those 45 months? 15, 20 ,30 %. It doesn't really matter as the overall numbers are still at a 21 year high. If you're house is broken into by the same guy 4 times in a year would you consider it a single break in?

The numbers are freely available for each month. You can tell us if the average for any of those months in that period was over 27%, how many times that was the case and if the wrong conclusion was therefore drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure border crossings really compare very well with burglaries. The border is just trying to claim a minor issue is one of the biggest in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But you've offered no strategies on what a "strong" president looks like, or different strategies that should have been used in the evacuation of Afghanistan in the face of dwindling numbers of ground troops.

Unless your strategy is to commit more troops to Afghanistan and try and re-arrest the Taliban that were released last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Bidens policies on everything since coming to power has been if Trump put the plans in place it must be cancelled be it the southern border Afghanistan the gas pipeline etc. Very petty by the Biden administration

I'd say Kamela has been told by party strategists to keep well away from commenting on Afghanistan as it would tarnish her image and any hope of becoming the next president

Pettiness has nothing to do with it. They were dumb plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is exactly the problem.

America wanted out of Afghanistan and rightly so , they should never have been there. Or at least they should never have been there for very long. They should have gone with overwhelming force , taken out Bin Laden and then left. Instead they tried to "Nation build" again and once again failed miserably.

The US/NATO leaving Afghanistan was always going to be ugly , the Taliban were always going to retake control and do some **** things while doing it.

Trump announced a good idea , but then chickened out of actually doing it before the Election.

Biden at least had the courage to eat the turd sandwich that it was always going to be. Could he have done it better? Perhaps , but in fairly short order the US will move on and Afghanistan will fade away from the front page.

The average American now has what they wanted , their Sons and Daughters will no longer be fighting and dying in another countries battles 10,000 miles away. They really don't care a whole lot after that.

Once the dust settles , the GOP won't want to talk about it , because the only possible answer to the question "What would you have done?" would be "Well, we would have stayed there until the Taliban met all the conditions" , which would actually mean never leaving.

As I said earlier , barring a major terrorist event funded or staged out of Afghanistan over the next year or so , this will be a non-issue for the Elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

People in US are disgusted on both sides of the political line. and you think what Biden did took "courage". the true meaning of courage includes mental and moral strength to face fear in the event of adversity. He certainly was not facing adversity and is not showing mental or moral strength. Quite the opposite. It was arrogance and apathy towards the effects of the decision, and it was certainly self interested. Courage is what the afghanistans will need now. It will certainly not be a non-issue for elections - it will be front line and center of opposition political campaigns in the future. and as far as this event fading into the background - social media and media will see that it doesnt. I certainly will not forget the sight of babies being handed to soldiers over barbed wires and I'm sure most people won't either. Its our responsibility in the "west" to remember this. and for those who choose to forget...sure being in a bubble may be nice but its not reality.

I think Brian Kemp poked the bear.

And good job to Stacey Abrams and all the Georgia State Democrats: 95% of all eligible voters are registered to vote in Georgia.

Can't wait to see what excuse is used to purge the rolls now.

They better hurry along though: the midterms are 15 months away. Do you think they will purge them before midsummer 2022? The **** they will. They will put as many of these voters as they can into a scramble to get re-registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

Disable your ad blocker or create a free account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

this will be a non-issue for the Elections.

it will be front line and center of opposition political campaigns in the future.

I think it'll be somewhere in between, but nearer the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats par for the course, the level of disengenuouness from those posters is stratospheric.

Its beyond a joke at this stage.

Good analysis by Andrew Neill last night.

He said its the biggest setback for American Foreign policy since the second world war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So Biden actually continued and completed a Trump policy.

I know the world looks on in horror at what is happening but do americans? They have a history of this after all (Vietnam).

I just wonder will the line "I ended our involvement and brought our boys home" be stronger than anyone complaining about it.

First time I have paid attention to American politics since trumps demise, Biden is no craic.

In fairness to the US - 20 years on and the afghans made no attempt to save themselves. Reality is its on a nations people to dictate the path of said nation.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How can we be disingenuous when you and others literally make zero points and just post in sound bites?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What's your analysis, what should this and the last administration have done differently?

Was Neil back presenting on the channel he setup?#

Edit: actually watched the "analysis", Neil a guest on the show he should be presenting, a long waffle about US's place in the world that didn't go anywhere and then Farage trying to imply Biden wasn't able to be president, embarrassed for anyone who would take that seriously, I mean, there is low bars for journalism and there is GBNews on it's own not even registering.

Post edited by astrofool on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not the people where I am in the US, sure, there are some, but by no means universal disgust such as you suggest.

Afghanistan got less than an hours coverage across a number of News channels, over the past 5 years, this will be long forgotten by the midterms. Sad and all as that is for the Afghans.

And any conservative who wants it to remain in the news will only be drawing attention to the fact that the Trump admin released the current leader of the Taliban, negotiated with them to allow this withdrawal to happen and blamed Biden for not withdrawing sooner.

I hope the whole experience will be remembered in the sense that next time US military representatives and weapons industry lobbyists are advocating for the US to attack somewhere else that they will be told that that has been proven repeatedly to not be the solution. Let the US cut it's bloated military budget and put that money towards making health and education more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Biden will be addressing the nation soon.

Advertisement