Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What games do you think this happened in out of interest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

RE: Beirne, 2nd row is where he’s played the vast majority of his rugby over the last 3 season (he’s only started 2 games at 6 for Munster) and it’s also where Farrell has selected him most frequently. I’d argue Beirne’s strongest games during the 6 Nations (where he and Henshaw were our best players) came from the 2nd row. In fact, haven’t the majority of his coaches started him in the 2nd row most frequently?

Given his form, James Ryan’s down-turn in form, and the array of options in the back-row, I can certainly see the case for a 2nd row of Henderson/Beirne. I think it’s what I would’ve favoured if there had been a Summer tour.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

I meant Burns specifically, not Ulster.

Billy Burns was not the reason Ulster lost to Gloucester, he played well in that game and scored a try. They were missing basically their entire forward pack and were winning when he went off.

He missed the Toulouse game last season and went off after 16 minutes in the Toulouse 1/4 final.

So you're basically criticising Burns with 2 games he didn't even play in.

He was also good in the Challenge cup, scored tries v Quins and Leicester and set up the winner v Northampton, and was not the reason Ulster lost to Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

POM wasn't really getting much criticism until his form dipped in 2019. And then like others he was getting a fair bit. Murray and Sexton were fairly hammered by people over that period too let's not forget. But unlike Murray and Sexton there were and are clear alternatives. And that drives things even more.

And it shouldn't matter that Munster lose to Leinster regularly. Top class players should be able to perform even when they are losing. In many of those interpro games POM was a non-entity.

I do agree that the criticism has remained despite improved performances last Autumn, but he wouldn't be the first player that has been the case for. Far from it. Many players suffer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Beirne is just back from the Lions tour, very successful for him personally and he didn't play a minute in the second row.

He made his name at the Scarlets and they also used him as a 6 or 8.

In the 6N this year, his MOTM displays were in the back row IIRC.

Munster are the only team who seem to see him as a second row so I hope that changes tbh. If Snyman ever plays you'd imagine it will

As for Ryan, well, his form definitely needs to improve but I'm optimistic it will. Not going on the Lions might turn out to be the best thing for him.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id argue you plucked that statement out of your arse though to be honest. POM's lineout work alone would win him MOTM/POTM in some games

without going into deep research, id say hes probably played closed to half and half of his games split between 2nd and back-row, probably tipping in the favour overall of 2nd row

He played in the 2nd row a lot for the Scarlets as well to be fair.

I definitely think he's best at 6. I like my locks to be a bit more abrasive anyway.

I think now that there's a vacancy in Munster's back row, and with Snyman back and Jenkins coming in, he'll be playing 6 for Munster

He got MOTM vs Scotland from 6 but he was excellent from the 2nd row against Wales and France. (We lost both those games so he was never going to get MOTM).

It’s also worth pointing out that both Farrell and Schmidt have both played him more often in the 2nd row than at 6, so I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Munster are the only team to see him as a 2nd row.

I’d also absolutely back James Ryan to get back to his best, and if he was, Henderson/Ryan 2nd row with Beirne at 6 looks excellent to me and probably our first choice selection. Was just making the point that, given the form over last season and our options in the back row, Henderson and Beirne in the row would’ve made a lot of sense, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, up to now, Ireland have seen him primarily as the guy who plays wherever the first choice guy is injured.

I think Beirne’s best chance at being a genuine first choice for Ireland is at six.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, that'd be a pretty big back row, Beirne 6, Coombes 8, and PoM at 7 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's worth remembering that James Ryan was playing well in the 6 nations. He was badly concussed and wasn't near the level we expect when he returned. The biggest worry for me is, can he survive without getting more concussions? Healthy and getting a run of games, he's our best lock.

For me Beirne should be at 6. He's a beast! I see him as massive advantage over opposing players at 6. For openside, I think VDF is our best option. His play has evolved and he carries the ball really well.

Conan and Doris will be battling for the no. 8 shirt. Coombes will be in the mix too.

I think Doak will be in the mix soon. He's the best prospect at 9 that I've seen. He's a complete player. I would say that Murray will get the nod for the next 6nations, but only based on reputation. Casey is nibbling at his heels and Blade could push past him this year. Murray is nowhere near world class and I think he's on the downside of his career.

At 10 we're fecked. Sexton is still the best option. The others are seriously deficient. Carberry is woeful defensively, RB is slow and a non threat with the ball in hand and Burns is no better than a back up.

HB is unproven and probably over rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Truth is we don't know about Harry Byrne. But anytime I've watched him he has looked to have time on the ball even when playing really flat. Hopefully he has injury free season and we'll see how he goes. Leinster fans will have seen a lot more, but I think there is a very good player in the making.

And that’s no longer the case as his form this season now means that even if everyone was fit, Beirne would still almost certainly be included in the starting 15, imo. Whether that be 2nd row or 6 would come down to the form of others, and I go back to my point about James Ryan there.

Medium-term, you could well be right about him at 6, but we don’t really have the strength of options in the 2nd row that we do in the back-row.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The joker is Baird! He could force his way into the reckoning. He looks to have the talent. But, he's another lad that I believe is over hyped. He looks good against the pro 14 teams, Dragons etc, but I think he's a little bit away from being top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I'm curious of Coombes' true dimensions. He's down as 6'6", 110kg on the Ireland and Munster sites. If he is really 6'6", there's no way he's only 110kg, certainly 115kg+.

Dave Kilcoyne said in an interview with the 42 when talking about the no.8s he's played with over the years: https://www.the42.ie/dave-kilcoyne-gavin-coombes-ireland-5481534-Jul2021/

"Gav is naturally the biggest I have seen. He can be anywhere from 114 to 119kg depending on what breakfast he has in the morning."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, he's a different type of animal alright. I'd lean more towards the 6'5 and 115kg myself. We don't produce those type of physical specimens too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

Connors has all of 7 caps at international level. You write up one big tackling performance like it was world class. What did he put in 24 tackles in the Scotland game? He’s big and puts himself in the way of opposition and therefore can stop big men - does that make him better than O Mahoney at his best ? Nowhere near yet. O Mahoney has done it all. Connors still has a way to go. He has the ability to change big games but he hasn’t been picked in any crucial matches yet. O Mahoney has won several games of that kind at international level with game changing performances. Having said that O Mahoney is probably past his best and Connors has usurped him. But both in their hay day there is only one player in the conversation.

This is exactly what I mean. You can't say anything about POM that isn't utter praise or certain people are up in arms and defensive.

POM is a bloody legend. I love the man. But when was the last time he put in a game changing performance (other than Wales in this year's 6N).

Your claim that Connors hasn't started any crucial matches is just false. He started away in Paris last year with a title on the line and he started a must-win game in Murrayfield this year.

You even admit that Connors has usurped him. How can you claim one is better in their hay day when one hasn't even had his hay day yet. You even said yourself Connors has a way to go, so you contradict yourself.

Connors will 100% be a better 7 than POM ever was, because POM was never a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

It’s all opinion. Anyone can interpret stats in different ways. Likewise a players performance.

What you say about Connors not having hit his hay day yet is correct.

And it is only one mans opinion that he won’t equal O Mahoney as a player.

For me Connors is a one trick pony. He tackles. For me that is never enough to become a top player doing one job.

He might well add skills to his bow but at the moment O Mahoney at his top was a game changing back row.

What that means is up for dispute and can be interpreted differently.

Connors can argue he changes the tide of games with 24 tackles.

But for me OMahony at the top of his game offered much more at the breakdown and in key exchanges that mark him out as a highly intelligent player.

Connors for me doesn’t have that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That one trick is better than what POM managed during the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VDF is the incumbent now anyway. He's one of the more experienced players in the squad but is still adding new elements to his game.

Developed a strong carrying game last season. He really accelerates onto the pass and pushes tacklers backwards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 38,255 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the All Blacks travel in November ?

Hard to believe the world cup is only 2 years away

Bloody covid has really messed a lot up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Impossible to say it this point, but the approach NZ is taking means the All Black's are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wouldn't count on NZ travelling here in November at all.

It could be costly for the NZRFU though if the ARU's approach catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭PMC83

I suspect we will see a few teams pull out and end up with another 6 nations + 2 comp. Like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bring back Joe!

Would actually love him to take on the role of Nucifora

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Any thoughts on likely candidates to take over the role of Performance Director? - Conor O'Shea is suitably blazered in the ERFU role.

Need someone with a handle on how contracts work / long term planning etc & someone who cares about the club game would be great.

Easterby or Leo type would be good.

Advertisement