Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i2i Machine Control Course- August 2021

Options
  • 03-08-2021 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I know there was a previous post regarding this but cannot locate same by searching or checking previous posts.

Anyhow, just wanted to see if anyone is attending and if someone has been previously, have you any tips on what to bring, expect etc?

Looking forward to it, booked in for 1 & 2 on Tuesday18th/Wednesday 19th, hoping for the good weather! 🤗🤗

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Bring what youd normally bring on any spin, plus a bit of grub and water. I did it last month. Not gonna tell ya what to expect, cos thats part of the fun. Tips??? Keep your mind and ears open and you WILL learn. Tom is a brilliant teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Cheers, thanks for that.

Maybe a few from this forum attending!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Took me a little while to find the old thread that I think you are talking about.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058000555/machine-control-slow-speed-kneedown-training#latest

I'll be up there with myself and my son taking part on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Attended MC1 & MC2 Tuesday and Wednesday. I really enjoyed both days. More theory on MC1 but yesterday it was mainly out on the bike on the track. Whiteriver is a karting track but really enjoyable blasting around it and technical.

A lot of information and I even went to taking notes on my phone. 🤓 It really all clicked into place after lunch yesterday. Feel like I have been let into a secret on how to do things and everything feels easier when you do the couple of key things the lads have suggested. Think I have caught the track bug as well, really enjoyable and hopefully something to explore in the future.

I really cannot suggest this more to anyone looking to improve their riding, safety and craft. I'll hopefully look at MC3 next time their back which they have advised will be back in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Did MC2 yesterday and MC3 today after doing MC1 last year. Got the knee down a few times on MC3 today. Great craic and learned loads again. Hanging off the bike and way more lean than I've ever attempted before. Wouldn't mind a bash at MC4 in future. Will probably do MC2 again next year anyway.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed MC2. What bike were you on?

Was a real 'education'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I was crawling around on a back and red sv650 in the MC2

Great training and a great friendly bunch of bikers. I was on the TDM900 and my son was on the DT125. Looking forward to their next visit and hopefully doing MC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

TurboD - interesting to see a 125 on it, do you get all the same benefit would you say on a 125? I've a 125 (GSX-S) and future bike more likely an adventure type bike, so neither "ideal" bikes for this type of thing, but would consider doing it on the 125 if worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

there's no such thing as the 'ideal' bike for the course, that's the whole point: it's not the bike that's limiting, its, the rider.

When I did it, a few years ago now, there was (from memory) ST1300, R1, GS12's, ZZR, SV1000, GoldWing, K1600, and I used my H-D Road King, so I'd actually venture so far as to say it's particularly those kind of bikes that benefit most because they are large, imposing, and few people are so comfortable with them that they'd feel confident to do i2i on them. That's the raison d'etre of the course I'd have thought.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I agree with what you're saying that the large & imposing could benefit most, was just wondering if the flip side holds, is a 125 too small to really experience what they are doing and you'd be better off waiting until on something bigger.*

*of course all training is good and never a waste.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I wouldn't wait to change my bike to do the training. No training is ever wasted, so no point in putting it off tbh.

You can always do it again later on a bigger bike (and the concepts will be easier then as you'll have experience).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

If you take anything from this course, its that its not about the bike.

I wouldn't worry so much about the bike. Yes you might feel a sense of "I'm only on a 125" as most will be on larger bikes, but quite often riders on the larger bikes are returning to biking after raising a family, or have not gotten a huge amount of miles under their belts. I've been pretty much a city commuter so it was great to get some more reinforcement and confidence under my belt. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement