Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Post edited .before you jumped on . Nothing to say to you . Replying to CS .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JEC

I'll take it then that the answer to my question is no. Point made. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

This reads a bit like "I'm allowed present hypothetical medical scenarios but anyone else who does it is an AnTiVaXxEr"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I see MM says the Government re-opening plan will be "comprehensive". So it will likely include details of closing down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Neither Paschal nor anyone else involved in government gives a hoot about the future or those who will try to build a life in it. That's the point you miss

• Advertisement

Edit away all you want, missus. You can't take back the fact that you have shown the disgusting attitude you have towards people.

No . I said that if the cause of death is unknown ,( not going to mention the case again ) then there is a postmortem . Most people know this , why do you ask ?

You want me to say " we don't need a post mortem for Covid cases " , do you ?

We do , if the cause of death has to be explained .

What friend who lost his vision ? What are you going on about accusing me of now ?

You know I am not responsible for everything bad that has happened to you or yours ?

It is genuinely getting a bit creepy the way you are popping up out of the blue with sxxt like that .

And as for empathy , I save that for my family , friends and my patients and colleagues. not for internet dwellers who keep posting accusations and personal attacks .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

MM says a lot of things, none of which ever translate into anything comprehensive. He loves a good word salad does aul MM.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

No that would ge reserved for some people ...

That poster that I was replying to first @CruelSummer is a decent poster that I often agree or disagree with but who does not troll for the sake of it like you and others .

I respect his/ her opinion and revisited my post , and deleted the one which was insensitive . It is probably less insensitive than others today but it doesn't come up to my standards for myself .

I do not need to apologise but I did , out of respect and I also do not need to justify my actions to you or any other person here but I am because you don't get to have the last word , and be uncivil and nasty to me .

COVID has been listed on death certs as the primary cause of death even when the person was asymptomatic and terminally ill with other causes. No post mortem. Can you explain why Covid is always assumed to be the cause without conformation? Did you ever question this? The coroner in Mayo questioned this practice in April.

I will pop up out of the blue whenever i choose to comment on any comments I feel like commenting on. The joys of free speech! You are free to ignore me.

Empathy is a trait, you will find most genuinely empathetic people don't have a switch they can turn on and off.

• Advertisement

Are you talking to me ???

I see you are replying but somehow not .

It's what happens when you are on ignore

I hope you continue to use your right to free speech

Mind you I won't notice .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not a coroner, but I find it hard to imagine them listing Covid as the primary cause of death and not say, pneumonia as the primary cause of death, due to Covid etc...

A disease wouldn't be the primary cause of death, it would be the effects of the disease being the primary cause of death (pneumonia, heart failure etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ok I see things have gotten heated in here this evening. I think the issue with the Beaumont situation is - it’s a big call made by the hospital board, with little explanation to the public as to its reasoning. It’s giving the impression that people are going to be denied medical treatment if they are unvaccinated. If this had been explained & reasoned out. It may not have even been an issue. The idea that healthcare being denied by the unvaccinated not that outlandish a possibility either as France have recently introduced a vaccine pass which has curbs on ‘non-urgent medical care’.

As for the young man who lost his life, it’s tragic. I’m concerned this will be used by certain groups due to the cover up in the mainstream media. It should be more openly discussed. Vaccines are not without risk.

You're already aware of my view that in younger groups, I think the benefits do not outweigh the risks of getting vaccinated, especially when reading the clickbait articles out this week stating ‘Covid vaccine’s wane after 3 months’, Delta can be transmitted as easily from either vaccinated or unvaccinated. I’m unsure if this is just media hyperbole or if this is peer reviewed research as I didn’t even click on the articles. Perhaps more data will come in to change my mind, but we need to be very careful with the turn this is all taking re undermining the efficacy and effectiveness of the vaccines & maintaining the reopening society going forward.

"I think the benefits do not outweigh the risks of getting vaccinated, especially when reading the clickbait articles out this week stating ‘Covid vaccine’s wane after 3 months’, Delta can be transmitted as easily from either vaccinated or unvaccinated. I’m unsure if this is just media hyperbole or if this is peer reviewed research as I didn’t even click on the articles"

Did you read the headlines or the article? Cause it sounds like you read the clickbait articles, but didn't read past the clickbait headline???. The fact you know it's clickbait, but unsure if it's true is a little unsettling.

Yes you are correct. I should have clarified that Covid is listed as the primary underlying cause of death simply because there was a positive PCR test even when the deceased suffered from other terminal illnesses.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mayo-coroner-questions-nphets-figures-for-covid-deaths-40326117.html

He says 'may' 5 times in the article.

He could pretty much write anything after the word may and people would take notice.

Icecream may cause brain disease in kids.

Smoking may be the leading cause of global warming.

Beer may boost brain cells

Beer may cause a drop in IQ

People may get away with false statements using the word may!

Someone with a terminal illness can die of other causes other than said terminal illness.

I'm not saying our death's have been 100% accurate, but going by what you say, a terminally ill patient driving to the hospital for treatment dies in a car accident, the cause of death.... should be? You say the terminal illness, I say the car accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm not sure how that article relates to covid as a cause of death?

Or do you think any public spokesperson has said restrictions WILL lift at X time and has never been wrong? I'm sure they include a lot of if/buts/may etc...

Completely different story if someone is pushing an agenda. for example: "Second mRNA shot may cause autism in boys aged 12-15 who have had the MMR jab. More data needed to be conclusive"

Complete **** I made up, but I included a 'may' (to cover my arse) and 'more data needed' to make me not look like an antivaxer etc...

Unfortunately people need to have common sense. If the CMO say restrictions may be reinstated or restrictions may be lifted, the status quo remains. But people will latch on to both sides to bitch and moan.

He believes that the recorded figures for COVID deaths 'do not have a scientific basis'. He is concerned the number of reported Covid deaths 'may be inaccurate'. He is highlighting his concerns and questioning practices as any concerned professional should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Believes, concerns, maybe...... yeah without evidence I wouldn't take him seriously.

He's a coroner, maybe he's done an autopsy and concluded the case of death was sexual asphyxiation but he was overruled and it was covid (can coroners be overruled?)

Then he has mountains of paperwork and can easily prove it, there's no need for him to say 'may' and 'possible' and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I disagree with you. A press statement like this will be very carefully worded.

11% asymptomatic vs 89% with symptoms and 'being treated'. That is answering the question while not answering the question. Its a 'Sir Humphrey' answer.

The question is how many are in hospital because of covid and how many are in hospital because of something and just happen to test positiv. And that does include ICU. And I think that question is well justified since we learned at some point last year that a sizeable percentage of patients actually acquired the virus in hospital never mind not being real covid patients.

I'm simply sick of this fogging up the facts bullsh1t. Its has been happening from day one and from day one it smelled like embellishment. Just in case the plebs might think this isn't really serious enough to justify all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That poster is not the only one questioning the suppositions and motivations of the actors in this. If a PM points to these conclusions then it becomes more factual, until then it's pure guesswork or in some cases wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Are we really naive enough to think a person in ICU for "some reason" that gets COVID-19 isn't serious?

I recall reading earlier in this thread that someone who has major surgery and develops COVID-19 shouldn't be considered either. They're in hospital for the surgery the Covids probably just sniffles.

I really wish people would stop and think. Please just think. Covid or any infection brings potential for complications and further infection to vulnerable patients. A person isn't going to be kept in hospital if there's no medical need to be there. An ICU case with Covid or any other infection is a very serious issue and should not be dismissed as anything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think the clarification in interpreting that information probably needs to be...patients who were taking an ICU bed before they ever got Covid.Obviously if they are in ICU at all they are very vulnerable, and Covid will only add to that but I guess what people are trying to understand is, who walked in off the street with covid, and then ended up in ICU that would not have otherwise vs patients that were in ICU anyway, and happened to test positive.

We aren't going to get that level of detail, but if our ICU beds are so few that we feel we NEED that level of detail, to clarify how congested the ICUs might get then.....at this stage in game....there should be a very strong, fast movement being towards major, permanent improvements in ICU capacity (and everything else of course too ) instead of this patchwork approach.

But sure pigs might fly too.

I also wish people would stop and think about why we still treat COVID as if it's outside of what a hospital is made to treat. It should be treated the same way we treat other contagious diseases and stop acting like it is some sort of standalone issue. We don't get a breakdown of any other disease in this way, apart from bad flu seasons and even then it's not plastered all over the daily news. Vaccinations now have it at completely manageable levels and treatments seem to be improving outcomes for those that do need to be admitted.

We also had a big issue with "bed blockers" (a term I always hated), where usually elderly people are left in wards far longer than they need be because stepdown facitilies are as rare as hens teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I think when people see ICU they assume that the patient has deteriorated enough with pneumonia type symptoms to warrant a stay in the ICU and are treated accordingly for these symptoms, but if they’re in ICU for a farming accident and test positive is the issue.

Yes it’s a serious issue, nobody is downplaying that but it’s hard to get a true picture of what this virus is doing to patients in ICU.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

It suits some people to leave elderly people bed blocking, no work involved, just feed and change the elderly people.

If hundreds of these elderly people were released almost overnight to nursing homes then they were ready to be discharged, this is a huge problem, in one Dublin hospital a person who works in elderly care told me a third of the beds were occupied by elderly people, some had families who wouldnt move them to nursing homes because of the cost, this can go on for months,in some cases families even get whats called a transitional payment,ie approximately six weeks of the nursing home fees paid for by the State.

Empty the beds and then you have space to take people off waiting lists,you have actual data on how many procedures are being done per day, wouldnt this be great, you could compare whats being done in the public hospitals to whats happening in the private,only people with a vested interest in not reforming the health service would have a problem with this.

The vast majority of people in ICU will be the elderly, immune compromised and the obese,vaccinations arent going to help these people,they will catch covid because even with vaccinations their immune system is too weak to protect them.

What do we do now,do we tell young people they can never get back to normal because we dont have enough iCU beds or staff, its not the money, we are one of the highest spenders in the OECD on health and yet we have the lowest number of ICU beds, is throwing billions more euro at the HSE going to help, how do we solve the problem.

• Advertisement

But but but, he's only an advisor. Why is he making statements like this?

Advertisement