Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus tables conditional pay offer of 12%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Seen on various news outlets today reporting a demonstration of 20ish drivers outside the Dept. of Transport. Not a great showing if 97% voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

It wasn't a demonstration it was to hand in a letter on behalf of drivers to the minister for transport!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dublin Bus management, and seemingly the WRC and initially the unions, all seemed to think originally that if reforms were not made then Dublin Bus may risk not fulfilling it's contract which could mean routes are put out to tender or they could lose routes in 2024, which would mean job losses.

I have to say this article in the Journal the organiser did say something that appear to be a little muddled

“We didn’t go to look for extra money. The company put that in because they wanted to push these procedures. And we’re not accepting that, we’re not going to work longer hours, and if you are working longer hours, where’s the pay increase?

Also it appears that the loss of seniority and someone else telling you what route you have to drive is a big issue.

“Most of us here are senior drivers. We pick these routes because they suited us and our family life. I’ve done 30 years service and I’m going back to a junior status, which I think is totally wrong and most of the guys do too.”

At the end of the day, despite the clear attempt at political point scoring over the Government by some on the left, this is a dispute between employees and their employer. If the staff do not like the reforms proposed by Dublin Bus they should take it up with Dublin Bus.

If Dublin Bus say they are required because of the contract then staff should ask why their employer signed such contract, although it may well be that Dublin Bus would turn around and they said if they didn't, then staff may already have lost their employment with Dublin Bus.

I'm still not sure that drivers fundamentally understand the core reasons that the company is proposing these transformations and why the unions recommended it initially. I strongly believe that both DB and the unions were fearful of the impact rejection might have on DB's ability to win and retain PSO contract and the job losses that it might result in further down the line. The fact that the unions are switching tack to get politicians involved suggests that they know a political intervention is their only other card available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

It was a complete rejection, 97.6% against, spare drivers just as disgusted as marked in drivers by the proposals, the new work shifts the NTA want are shocking, no other job in the land would even consider these shifts, never mind a safety critical job.

Not hyperbole to say the proposals would put drivers in an early grave, working crazy hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The proposals were not put forward by the NTA, they were put forward by Dublin Bus in relation to a WRC case to comply with an NTA contract that Dublin Bus decided to sign and committed to adhering to.

If drivers are unhappy, they should be asking why senior management in Dublin Bus signed up to a binding contract that would require significant work practice changes that was unacceptable to staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

Here is the run down on whats happened

Its a NTA deal 100%

DB management doing the bidding of NTA

DB is a semi-state, this is the key

A semi-state will not go to the wall

Option 1, closed it down, big redundancy payment to staff, this option will never happen, Dublin needs a bus service.

So option 2 is it is sold of to private sector, and we know from previous sales that the staff will get shares in the new company

Who would want to take over DB when the driver would have a vote at the AGM?

So we are back to option 1, and this wont happen we all know this.

So most likely outcome is that the tender is awarded to someone else and the DB sign outside the Depot is removed and replaced with another companies one, only thing that changes is the DB managers are out of a job and replaced by different ones, drivers still in the same job with different managers.

The deal offered is so bad it was totally rejected by drivers, any new operator will know this, they would have to be idiotic to push through the same deal knowing it would lead to a strike on day 1 of their operation. So the deal would have to be better than that currently offered.

Now you know what is going on, you can see the drivers have the whip hand, DB management and NTA in a bind.

As for why unions where for this deal, keep a eye out for new faces at the NTA , you might see a few names you recognise from the unions now working there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Some wide ranging, slanderous allegation there bring a National Authority and a large Company into disrepute. Care to provide some evidence where DB is doing the bidding of the NTA?

Semi states can be wound up and their workers can be made redundant, look at Irish Sugar and Bond na Mona as examples.

If the proposed shifts are so dangerous, why is it not mentioned in the press? Are drivers being asked to work more than 39 hours per week? Are drivers being forced to break regulations on driving limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hardly slanderous in fairness.

untrue perhapse but slanderous is a bit hyperbole in fairness.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What specifically was the decent quality of life change that I'm missing ?

And tbh I find it absolutely bizarre that drivers are allowed pick and choose their own routes that stuff is incredible. How you run an operation efficiently with that sort of madness in place .

The route identity thing is crazy. All drivers came into the job spare and worked every route in the garages. if overtime is on offer then 97% of drivers will know any route in the garage. marking in and knowing your roster will still exist.

I've read about all staff having to do Split shifts because of the deal but reading the document and talking to some drivers I know still working for DB say that's not true and they've only been given sample rosters so nobody knows what the "New" shifts will be as they haven't been drafted.

One thing is certain, DB management have done an awful job communicating with their staff.

Someone thinks if DB lose routes to another company and drivers are TUPE to the organization that management will be left unemployed or out of pocket ? you're kidding yourself there.

Perhaps a staff buy out of DB would an option? see n it in the UK multiple times and very successful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Dublin bus won’t be wound up and the drivers let go, cost a fortune in redundancy for a start and there would be chaos in Dublin with that many buses not running, its wishful thinking from the DB haters.

What could happen is that DB lose the contracts to run certain routes and another company wins them, look at the LUAS for what will happen, I believe it’s now on its third operator, the managers have changed but the drivers have remained the same.

Can you see any new operator of DB routes pushing this deal knowing it will result in a strike?

I won’t go into great detail as there is a ton of issues but here’s the gist on the new rosters.

You seem to think the press report everything that’s happening correctly, they all say it was rejected by over 90%, why have they not given the correct total of 97.6%. That would show just how complete the rejection was from all drivers new and old, and now spare drivers outnumber senior marked in drivers, that should tell you a lot about the new rosters where everyone is marked in.

The new duties are what are know as “animals” or “pigs” I will give some examples.

Early duties that start at 04:00 in depot and finish at 14:00 in city centre, so tack on an extra 30 minutes to travel back to depot and get in car and head home. Now what time would you have to get up at to get to the nearest depot to you for 4am and at what time would you get home after work?

Then we get on to Bogies, only some drivers like them as they live near the depot and city centre and can go home when they have their long break, not worth a curse to any driver commuting up to Dublin 1 hour+, and DB drivers are no different to many here who have had to move from Dublin to be able to afford a house.

These bogies are savage, 12 hour+ days excluding the time get to & from work, yet again at what time would your day start if you had to be in the depot for 06:00 and finished in city centre at 18:00? 

The lates are no better, 15:00 to 02:00, how long would you be away from home doing this shift?

All these duties are 8 hours pay with the rest unpaid breaks, now can you give examples of any other jobs in the land with these conditions?

Driver new and old are not a bit happy with this, the pay rise is a red herring, you will probably see plenty of NTA PR about the pay rise, ignore it, its all about the new rosters.

The new rosters get rid of marking in and spare, every driver is on a super roster comprising of every single duty in the depot.

What happened to the LUAS drivers when the operators changed?....................nothing, they carried on as normal.

Look across the water to the UK, what happens when an operator loses a tender?................... the logo outside the depot changes and there is zero disruption to the service, management changes but the drivers carry on working.

8 hour days with 2 hours additional unpaid breaks and 30 mins travel on top to get back to base.

This all seems a bit made up ?

I don't mean to question your detail but it doesn't read right tbh with you. External to that what are the benefits to the longer shifts ? 3 days off or what does it look like . You seem to be entirely focusing on negative shade on the deal . What's the positives

I'm not making anything up, other drivers that regularly post her can confirm or deny what i wrote, if they say i lie you know to disregard anything i posted. These are 5 day shifts.

Its is a exactly as i posted, you are on a bogey., you start at 06:00 in the depot, you work until 10:00 then go on a 4 hour break in city centre and come back at 14:00 and work until 18:00 where you finish in city centre and make your way back to the depot to collect car and head home. Thats 8 hours paid work and 4 hours unpaid break, tack on the unpaid 30 minutes getting back to depot, then you add on the time getting to work and getting home, looooooong day don't you think?

04:00 start in depot work until 08:00 go on 2 hour break come back at 10:00 and finish at 14:00 in city centre and make your way back to depot to get in car and go home, 8 hours paid work and 2 hours unpaid break.

The total rejection of the proposals is 100% about the rosters, who can say hand don heart they see so problem with these shifts?

Would you be happy starting work at one location and finishing at another and having to make your way back to where you started at your own expense?

Any talk in the press about greedy drivers wanting more money is a red herring, if the news story does not mention the rosters it's a BS story not worth paying any heed to.

Imagine you are on that 06:00 to 18:00 bogey for the week, now add on travel time to work and home, (don't forget the 30 minutes from CC to depot) now add on 8 hours of sleep (wishfull thinking) how would you rate your work life balance?

I don't know it sounds to me like inefficient scheduling tbh, is this done to get around peoples ownership of routes due to seniority ?

Because it makes no sense to have to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Luas "third operator" is the same operator with two/three name changes. Same entity has won the tenders each time.

Connex -> Veoila -> Veoila Transdev -> Transdev.

The delusion of the DB drivers is going to be the death of DB.

Round back in a few years, DB will not be able to compete for route after route and will end up shedding drivers like crazy.

Personally I won't feel an ounce of pity for a 97% of them. Signed their own pink slips with that vote

Users here think spare drivers want to scrap marking in, this was their opportunity as spare drivers out number marked in drivers, and it was totally rejected.

Marking in was you know it would be finished with these changes, every duty in the depot would be put on one giant roster and every driver would work every duty on this giant roster.

An example of the type of shift drivers would do for 5 weeks, these rosters would continue through every single duty in the depot

Week1, 1st bogey 46a 06:00 depot to 18:00 city center

Week 2, 15th 7 15:00 city center to 01:00 depot

Week 3, 2nd 15 04:00 depot to 14:00 city center

Week 4, 10th 145 13:00 depot to 23:00 depot

Week 5, 3rd bogey 14 07:00 depot to 19:00 city center

Week 6, ???

Week 7, ?? on it would go until all duties have been driven by driver and then back to Week 1

The new proposed duties are 10+ hours, work life balance gone.

Imagine you are a driver commuting up to the depot from Carlow, Mullingar or Gorey, now imagine doing one of these shifts, does that sound good to you?

I get that some around here hate DB with a passion, now think only of yourselves, do these shifts sound like a recipe for safe driving, would you be happy getting on a bus at 17:00 knowing the driver is on the 06:00 to 18:00 bogey and is up since 04:30 and getting home at 20:00 for the last few days?

These are the rosters and shifts that these proposals will implement city wide, who would be happy with these in their job?

It really is that simple as to why it was rejected by drivers, now wait and see there will be NTA PR about greedy drivers, you wont here a word about the rosters and hours worked, but now you know the truth as to why it was rejected.

Well you are saying these rosters exist today. And the proposal is they will continue to exist. Why not work into the new proposal that there are no senior drivers picking routes and a more sensible working day scheduled is operated also that doesn't mean long midday breaks ? Which incorporates driving hours rules .

Seems like there isn't much rationale going on here rather than a big fat no . ?

Its a lot more complex but the gist is as follows, DB Drivers cant be TUPED over to another operator also very few know this but pre Dublin Bus drivers legally are CIE employees on loan to DB, so you are opening a huge can of legal worms if you want to let drivers go , in other words the redundancy payment will be high to let drivers go

• Advertisement

There will be no senior or junior drivers.

All duties in a depot will be put on one huge roster and all drivers will do every single duty in the depot.

The long break are a serious issue, totally unnecessary , adds at least 1 hour onto your work day, so it was rejected

Draft rosters where posted in depots for drivers to view.

The type of duties i posted about are indicative of what the new Busconnects roster would be like.

Now is there any part of what i have posted that is still not clear, let me know and i will try to clear it up for you.

there is no delusion of the DB drivers.

they won't be responsible for the death of dublin bus if that was to happen, nor would they be responsible for dublin bus not winning tenders for which there is absolutely no valid reason for them not to win given they are and always will be competitive being a non-profit state operator.

There would be very few letters of comfort floating around these days. Apart from that plenty of drivers, inspectors, maintenance and managers can be tuped to new operator.

Are drivers opposed to having to drive all routes and using the new shift/hours to exasperate the situation ? What I mean is, if they divide the bogey rosters and shift duties meaning that only those that opt for bogeys, and there are plenty of them who volunteered for them now, would that fix one problem? or will route identity still be an issue ?

Will they still have work outs? Aren't they a breach of the work time act also? 6 hours no break?

That was 30+ years ago, there's unlikely to be more than 100-200 affected by that CIE transfer.

I'd love to know what the drivers plans are for once DB loses the routes they are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Drivers in other countries somehow manage to do such (and even longer) hours, but Irish drivers seem to be too lazy and wanting to get the gold pay for just steering the wheel all day.

Drivers should ignore the unpaid break hours but focus to their total weekly/monthly wage. Which is good enough.

If they don't like the job, why don't they find somewhere else to work? I hope Dublin Bus will loose a good fair of routes during Tendering and the DB drivers will realise that they should put the effort in work, not in whining.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

To be fair, if what was mentioned above about breaks is true, I can see the drivers point of view.

Very unusual schedule having such long breaks in the middle of a shift. Depends on how much time off is given to compensate being away from home so long I suppose.

because drivers in other countries may be willing to put up with certain conditions does not mean irish drivers should, ultimately it is the irish drivers who are correct and the ones in other countries either need to join a union or get themselves a better union to represent them.

drivers in db do the job they are paid to do, and after that have no other obligations, as it should be.

you hoping the company loses routes for no good reason presumably because you are bitter at the drivers being able to stand up for themselves says more about you then it ever could or would about db or it's staff.

and in some good news, even if db do lose routes, the drivers at the new operator won't put up with any old thing either, so people with your ideals thankfully lose either way and workers rights continue to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

From a hypothetical pov; If Dublin Bus lost the tender to GAI in 2024; How many drivers from Dublin Bus would actually opt-in to join them?

Would any DB driver at that point go on strike again if that sort of decision was offered to them? Apart from the loss of CIE protection in their employment status; there isn't really any much loss in them switching over to new t&c's offered by GAI.

If GAI were officially appointed by the NTA to be the new incumbent in taking over the tender for 90% of the Dublin Bus routes; they could gain all of their garages by switching the names of them to GAI. However; they also will have the extra advantage of having their depot in Ballymount being added into the mix too mainly to operate the new BusConnects routes based in West Dublin/Kildare namely the local & orbital routes.

But I do understand that there will be will be elements of confusion involved in how that service is going to be offered at first to passengers if GAI were to take over these depots & routes from Dublin Bus. Even though all of the buses will be into the same Hybrid livery over from their 1st very day with GAI; these vehicles will need to get their DB logos changed over to GAI quite quickly & get the new seat moqueitte installed in each bus in advance so that would look the same as the new ADL hybrid's. If GAI were to draw up a plan in place to transfer bus routes from one depot to the other if they want to begin on routes that were closer to it; they may in future need to talk to their drivers & other staff as to how that plan could be worked out in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It not unusual to have a 12 hour shift for public transport drivers in Europe. But I'd support the 4 work days week, meaning a 12 hours shift but 3 days off per week. Currently offered 12 hrs and 5 days a week sounds a bit stretched.

I have worked a 14 hours shift with only 10 mins break every 90 mins. No lunch or any other longer than 10 mins break was scheduled so we just made that ourselves by going ahead the timetable, especially in the end of the route where there aren't passengers waiting. That was possible as it wasn't purely city routes, more like local short intercity.

Worked for a few years and survived. I until this moment know people who still does these shifts 5 days a week! That's a 60 hours of work per week (excluding these breaks), or 70 hours a week with breaks. Again, that's in Europe (Eastern).

When Irish bus drivers are crying for a work life balance, higher wages, shorter hours, exceptional privileges to choose routes... All of it makes me laugh. These kind of needy drivers back there used to be put down very quickly by cutting the wages or asking a few guys to explain it with physical actions.

Advertisement