Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Random thought but am I the only one who hears Ian Drury when I read the thread title?

Exactly 4 months from now (Dec 17th) I'll be finishing up work for the year... taking a longer break at Christmas again this year as I've enjoyed the longer break the last few years, and I'm hopeful this year will be slightly more normal in the build up and not as quiet as last year so we'll be able to do some bits in the run up too... in some ways 4 months sounds miles away but the reality is that the time will fly by, especially with work being so busy.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

When you say it like that doesn't seem far away at all. 4 seems such a small number!!

On a half day AL, heading to my sister's place in Wicklow for the weekend. Will probably take the opportunity to have a 'digital break' from screens.

Have a great weekend folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Mum has a fire pit and my six year old stayed up for his first sing song last night. Even sang a solo he learnt in school. I was so proud!

hopefully we get to have our family celebration this year in early December and the tunes will have to come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

That beautiful post is definitely a reason to be cheerful 🙂

I’m getting my hair done for a family get together. Haven’t seen two of my siblings in nearly two years so I’m really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

so is that, that will be a fabulous get together!!

Enjoy! We have my Wifes sisters family over from the UK next weekend (they haven't seen one another since Christmas 2019) so this weekend is a deep clean of the house... I've already been allocated the bathrooms... oh the joys!!🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

We are having a family get together later on for our nephew who has cerebral palsy and was the big 16 during the week.

His parents are putting on a big do for him as he had an operation on both of his legs a couple of months ago.

He's such a great kid and always in good form and is a lesson to us all to be thankful and cheerful for our health and the health of our families.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. I swear you cannot be in bad form when your with him because if you think you have problems or want to have a moan then he will snap you right out of it and you realize how easy you have it.

I hear you. Met my cousin when were we were away and her youngest boy is 6 1/2 however mentally is about half that age. He has had issues since birth and prone to fits of aggressiveness and then is a nicest boy you can meet. I can't imagine how hard it is for my cousin and her husband (and his older brother) and as you said keeps things in perspective.

Post edited by TRS30 on

Thanks for the comments above guys. Absolute disaster as we got a phone call on Saturday afternoon to say the party had to be cancelled.

My nephews older brother who is 22 was a close contact of a friend of his who got a positive Covid test.

Why the pair of them hadn't gotten themselves vaccinated yet is beyond me 😡

Felt so sorry for the young lad and also my wife's brother has he had a marque payed for and decorated with lights etc, he also had a keg bought and set up.

They are going to have it again in a few weeks all going well.

Damn Covid.

Ah no. Disaster.

Don't start me on people avoiding getting vaccinated... its the back door for this thing dragging on & on... so sick of it all now.

Sorry to hear that. Always annoying when things have to get cancelled due to something that could have been avoided.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah no, that's disappointing, LH.

We're lucky that we live in country with such a high uptake that the anti vaxxers/unvaccinated are rare enough. Some countries have had very low uptake, and of course some like Aus/NZ rightly messed up the vaccine programme leaving very few people vaccinated. We have over 3 million here now fully vaccinated, which I did not see happening back around April when they started the first lot on the HSE portal!! 😯

Not sure if its a reason to be cheerful, but our two are currently getting ready for their first day back in school, which means heads are now turned & pointing firmly towards the most wonderful time of the year... we're 3 weeks from double digit day on the countdown (& we all know how that goes) so hold on folks, the Christmas train is in motion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Put the brakes on this year please. I need to baby proof EVERYTHING!!

• Advertisement

Be grand, they won't be crawling the minute you get them home. 😂

Are you and Mrs Loughc finding out if it's a boy or girl, or leaving it as a surprise? 🙂

I know it's a very personal thing however there are little surprises in life (good ones!) so we decided to wait.

As we were expecting twins we wanted to know as the planning for 2 was unreal. We knwe the first was a boy but through all the scans they couldn't identify the gender of the 2nd due to the way they were positioned in the womb. So it was only on the day they were born we knew we were having a little girl as well. So in the end we had a surprise after all.

yep. An instant 'gentlemans' family... or so I was told by the midwife 😃 hard to believe that was almost 11 years ago now. The time goes by so quickly.

Anyway, coming to that time of the week, wrapping up some work bits, sun is out (and to stay for the next week or so allegedly) & have a couple of social gatherings this weekend (about to crack open a beer in c. 1 hour or so!!) so it'll be nice to make the most of the last weekend in August. Its the BER months from Wednesday and that when all the fun & games start.

Have a good weekend y'all!!

Same to you mate. Hope to finish up myself soon and get out to enjoy some the evening sun.

Have a good one guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Day spent at the beach 🏖 🥰 Definitely feels like my summer holidays 🍦

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement

Even more exciting run up to Christmas for the forum this year. 😁

Advertisement