Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had my weigh in this morning, down again, by the sum total of half a pound... this is killing me... 2 gym sessions now over the weekend and a stricter diet underway so hopefully a better next week.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

@Jude13 I’ll be joining the pints and naughty food train later on 😆

@DvB are you fairly close to your goal/ideal weight? Could this be why it’s a struggle to get over the line?

I'm at 12st 1lb at the moment, was aiming for 11 st 10lbs as that was my prime 'running' weight as I called it... truth be told I'm not really that overweight, fitness is generally more important to me, but I'm noticing the love handles around the middle and really want to lose them whilst keeping my aerobic fitness up and increasing my core strength. From talking to the PT and from personal experience I know you can't really target an area specifically so need to lose general body fat to trim them down, hence monitoring the weight atm. I'm meeting the PT later today so will chat to.him about it at some stage.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Happy days. Not a million miles away really. One thing I’ve found as I’ve gotten older is that I’m far less naturally active so if I don’t go out of my way to get some exercise in then I have to closely watch my food intake or the weight piles on. Losing weight is all about food really as we all know but if you’re only 5lbs off those handles could be attacked with weight and cardio training. Best of luck with the PT. Tell him to swivel if he/she mentions burpees

Yeah, not a fan of burpees either. Not with my knees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hate burpees. Every single trainer in my gym are obsessed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Burpee butt buster even more special🥵

Yeah my PT mentioned them in our first session and I told him out straight 'not gonna happen' i

It's like a hive mind or something for PT's

Burpees are just pure torture, I reckon they should be called pukees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Feel the same about burpees but still struggle through them.

I have not had the chance to hit the gym, which is a lie straight out, I have been too lazy/tired/guilty to go to the gym. I see the youngest for 5-10 mins in the morning, then the same at night, when I actually get home before bed. That's been like that for the last 9 days. I am hoping to get some down time near the end of next week.

I still cannot run due to an ankle/metatarsal injury, i tired the bike and cross trainer but its aching after that. I am wearing a proper work shirt today and the buttons are about to pop. Weight in tomorrow. I would say I'm a kg up.

• Advertisement

That’s rough Jude. I know plenty in similar positions due to work commitments. Makes me grateful sometimes that work for me is just a J.O.B. Out of there at 3 most days and 12 on Fridays. It never enters my head again until I’m back in there. I did try to advance in there before but everybody was just completely stressed out and it was a horrible environment to work in so I high tailed it out of there 😆

Early closing times on Saturdays in the gym are such a pain!!! We went to a pet farm with the kids and with all the organising and time spent there I couldn’t get to the gym 😩 I had been 5 days in a row but I wanted to go again. Brought the dog out for a walk so that made up for it somewhat. Apparently I burned more active calories yesterday between the pet farm and the walk than I did everyday except one last week! Wasn’t expecting that at all

I went out for dinner and drinks with friends last night. Very enjoyable and I’m not absolutely dying today so I haven’t done too much damage hopefully

Post edited by L'prof on

Avoided the alcohol yesterday, despite craving a couple of beers terribly after a heavy gym and house cleaning session and heading to the gym again in a few minutes... have cut my eating down to brekkie, lunch and dinner with nothing in between other than fresh fruit so hoping it'll all start helping that last big push. We've stuff on the next 3 weekends in a row that will involve food and drinks so need to have my head in a positive place going in to that or it'll be too easy to give in to a 3 week binge on junk food...

Sunday gym. I hate you!!! 🤬😆 Mine’s closed on Sunday so I’ll have to get another dog walk in today

Just back, having a coffee... pushed really hard today and already feeling it. I'll be buzzing after a shower though...

I went back to bed for a nap 😆

Do any of you guys wear activity trackers in the gym? Just curious what kinda burn people are getting per session. For myself the Apple Watch says that I burn 450+ active calories in 35 minutes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wear a Fitbit and track the exercises. I usually get somewhere between 450-550 calories burnt for a 45 minute class.

Yep, fitbit here too, I average about 750-800 calories cardio a session. Then there's the weights on top of that so not sure what they do in terms of calories burnt. My PT reckons it's c.1000 calories a session. I reckon it's less though.

I wear a fitbit but only use it for steps as the cal tracking is way off on mine. It over estimates for me massively.

No gym for me until the day after tomorrow. Late night at work planned, have a break between meetings now, so wont see the little one this evening. I have a submission by the end of the day tomorrow and then want to spend time with the wee one so the gym will have to wait until Tuesday.

Post edited by Jude13 on

Just do what you have to do Jude, the work will ease up and you'll have more time for family and yourself and you can start working at the weight/fitness them... thats one thing I've learned as I've gotten older, pick your battles and stick to one at a time otherwise you just lose them all. Limit the damage if you can but worry about what's in front of you at the moment and the rest will be there for you in time.

Jaysus, that’s some going. I’ll have to up my game 😲

• Advertisement

To be fair I've been training all my life (the odd slob spell aside) so tend to push myself alot. Go big or go home type of vibe. It's just my competitive background I suppose, it's hard to lose so push hard, problem is as I got older is the body is less willing, legacy injuries galore have taken their toll and I like a beer or two and fruitcake 😀

DvB is a MACHINE. After a late one at work I got home to find my OH working. She is a legend and said it would be good for me to go to the gym. Did upper body weights. My foot is goosed. Even with Shrugs my foot aches. More time needed

@Jude13 can you use the cycling or cross trainers? They might be easier on an injured foot as there's no stepping so to speak? Can burn some serious calories on both.

With respect to that first line, I wish!! There isn't a day that my body doesn't ache, exercise or not. Funnily enough though it aches less when I train hard, so that's motivation in itself.

I find the same, my back/hip really get at me when I am not lifting.

I need to get back in to the DvB machine frame of mind.

Made me laugh. 2 days without gym and I feel like an old man. Looking forward to getting back in this evening

Planning on heading down myself again this evening after work, though I find Mondays the hardest day to motivate myself to get to the gym as I tend to go twice over the weekend. Kudos to anyone who can do 5 days in a row or suchlike... my BIL is one of them, he goes the gym 6 or 7 times a week... have no idea how he manages it, I simply wouldn't have the energy levels to maintain anything like that without it seriously affecting my work.

The kids are back training this week also, and will have matches on Saturdays so my time will be squeezed from here on, that means less gym time so I'll simply have to get my act together on my diet, it really is my achilles heel... If I don't it'll all have been in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So my weekend away was eating and no exercise (kid pace walks are not real exercise no matter how many times I tell myself they are!). At least didn't drink much so damage could have been worse. Had a lie in this morning (7am) so will try to get something done at lunchtime or most likely later when kids in bed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement