Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Some huge rumbles the last 15/20 mins outside Drumlish Co.Longford

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some big showers building now and a few sparking. Satellite showing convection growing ( Gifs not working yet on the forum!! )

EDIT: A good few strikes NE of Tuam now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I might just take a few screenshots from the video instead. My hands are too shaky to be a good cameraman lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann might have to shift there warning a bit more West 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No thunder heard but about 20 mm of rain in half an hour Roscrea. Deluge, max rate according to the Vue 235.2 mm/hr

Seven Worlds will Collide

Met Éireann just included Galway now in the warning.

Fair play meteorite you are always spot on with your warnings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Lightning reported earlier in North Galway around Dunmore and Glenamaddy areas around 3pm, and also in parts of Co.Roscommon

Didnt see any sparks from my area but heard afew loud rumbles.

Heavy showers on and off since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Moving north east of roscommon now

Can see off in the west more building coming towards me from mayo galway side will pop up photos later some funnels as well

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see the cloud tops of showers in Cavan and Meath here in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭zisdead

Looking due south from Clondalkin at 7.15 at cells over Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭zisdead

And west at the Cell over West Meath at 7.30

And I can see a double rainbow here in Arklow 🙂

Current sky,looking north and then looking at a tower to the SW

• Advertisement

Same tower,now decaying

Finally some elevated precipitation just now

Probably hail

The thunderstorms didn't last long in Galway after the warning was issued though , some big storms around Cavan, Fermanagh, Westmeath afterwards.

Seems there was a lot of funnels seen today, maybe a couple on the ground too.

Netweather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of funnels were seen around today. Seen one trying to develop myself (ahead of a shower) late this afternoon but it didn't quite make it.

New Moon

Short video to start, the funnel is extending from the cloud down behind that tree - This is the only video I will publish because of the shakiness and I'll spare you from my cringe commentary also. i was enjoying this a bit too much lol.

Plus, I'm trying to show the kids who are not tall enough to see over that hedge in front of me 😁 - I stopped the video after the 9 seconds to pick one of them up to look at it. My young fella spent the rest of the day looking at every single cloud for tornadoes just as I did when I was a young fella on the way home from Tullamore cinema after going to see Twister for the first time lol 🤣

Few screenshots showing how it moved across the sky

• Advertisement

Great capture Rikand

👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Typed up a full report with colour glossy pictures and circles and arrows and everything but because I neglected to put in a latitude and longitude, it gave me an error and when I clicked back, my report was wiped.... so I might just leave it lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A year ago today when that pretty serious derecho event ran through eastern Iowa.

Interestingly enough, that same region is under severe thunderstorm warnings today!

I might move there! 😍

New Moon

Some thunderstorms possible in the NW, N today in the afternoon during peak diurnal heating, Cold air aloft giving modest CAPE over the sea and moving over land , LLS and DLS giving decent Lapse Rates, good parameters for funnels with a touchdown possible.

Some activity around Derry this afternoon and another storm stayed well off the North coast into the Isle of Islay on the Scottish coast but in all not too much happening.

Saturday some interest mainly for the Southern half of the country from advancing fronts with high theta E readings, modest diurnal temperatures but high Dp's with loads of lower and deep layer shear available giving ok lapse rates, I think if there is activity it might be from elevated storms, nothing guaranteed, will see what it looks like tomorrow. Good thing the triple point is staying well off the Kerry coast on Saturday! Met Eireann did mention still some uncertainty with rainfall amounts.

Less potential with lower CAPE for tomorrow since earlier runs, if lightning occurs it could stay over the sea off the SW or along the coast but looks low enough risk.

Small bit of interest to see if there is the odd thundery burst overnight and into tomorrow. Might see some sferics show up over the sea, weather coming from the SW with high Theta E readings might just get a bit of orographic lift and with some forcing as the front passes over land might just spark off a few isolated thunderstorms. Looks like the SW with the best chance or up along the W coast. Marginal so low chance . Could be a few heavy convective showers embedded in the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Question if you don’t mind. In the countryside here near Kinsale, it is a very cloudy night. But I’ve just noticed several minutes of noiseless flashes in the sky, behind the clouds, seemingly lighting up the whole sky. Google tells me that this could be heat lightning. Does this make sense to you? If it doesn’t, I may need to talk to my doctor about getting a head scan...

Well heat lightning is definitely a thing. I was in majorca a few years back and i was treated to an amazing lightning storm directly overhead for an hour or more at night and never heard a single rumble of thunder. Just flash after flash every few seconds for ages. I think I may have posted about it at the time on whichever convective/thunderstorn discussion thread was going at that time (roughly 7ish years ago)

• Advertisement

There was some sferics picked tonight out to sea perhaps around 200km/h from W Cork. Seeing Flashes but hearing no thunder would often indicate elevated storms ie. they are so high you can see the flashes from long distances away, especially if you are on some high ground yourself. Some of the posters here have reported seeing lightning from great distances in the past , I would think 100 km + . Not too aware of the term heat lightning, googled it and came up with a good explanation below

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm and Rain warning for Leinster, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Scattered heavy showers with localised thundery downpours will give a risk of spot flooding.
    • Valid: 12:00 Saturday 21/08/2021 to 20:00 Saturday 21/08/2021
    • Issued: 11:13 Friday 20/08/2021

Interesting day ahead Pad especially for your neck of the woods, Thunderstorm Alley !

Could see thunderstorms outside of the warning area also , /ECM showing loads of CAPE in Munster also from early but storms and heavy rain will probably peak in the afternoon during peak diurnal heating in the warning areas, wouldn't be surprised to see parts of Munster added to the warning. Looks like a negatively tilted trough passing over the country so giving it a bit more umph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hopefully I get some in omagh I'm up till Monday bring it on 🌩️⛈️⛈️

From Dan Holley of Convective Weather :

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 21 Aug 2021 - 05:59 UTC Sun 22 Aug 2021

ISSUED 21:08 UTC Fri 20 Aug 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

Trough disruption will occur over the North Atlantic on Saturday, with a resultant cut-off upper low drifting gradually eastwards across southern Ireland during the day, and then southern Britain during the evening/night hours. Outbreaks of rain will affect many parts of the UK and Ireland at some stage during Saturday, lifting erratically northeastwards. Forecast profiles suggest some weak elevated convection is possible embedded with this frontal rain, particularly in the 600-850mb layer, but given rather moist profiles the risk of lightning is relatively low in any one location - but a few sporadic lightning strikes may be possible. In particular, the southern North Sea could exhibit some active thunderstorm activity during the late afternoon/evening hours as unstable air advects northwards from the Low Countries ahead of this front. 

The main focus for lightning, however, will be associated with the post-frontal environment as cool air aloft overspreads a moist low-level airmass with dewpoints typically 15-17C widely. The coldest mid-level air will be associated with the upper low, over Ireland during the day, and swinging across southern Britain during the evening/night. Modest surface heating is likely to yield 500-900 J/kg CAPE, with the potential for scattered showers and a few thunderstorms to develop - especially aided by low-level convergence and orographic forcing, but also PVA lobes within the base/forward side of the upper low. Speed shear is a little weak below 500mb, but some increasingly strong flow aloft will yield reasonable cloud-layer shear, especially when coupled with backed low-level winds. Overall, the environment may be conducive for some cell organisation and hence longevity, and there may be scope for an isolated supercell in the West Country in particular (e.g. Somerset / Dorset / Wiltshire). If an organised thunderstorm can develop it could pose the risk of some marginally-severe hail and perhaps an isolated tornado. Otherwise, the main hazard, aside from lightning, is the risk of local surface water flooding.

The forecast evolution in Northern Ireland is less clear, with the potential for frontal rain to potentially linger and limit instability. However this will be monitored and an additional SLGT could be issued if confidence increases. Elsewhere, while instability will gradually reduce during the mid/late evening onwards due to nocturnal cooling of the boundary layer, forcing aloft and residual humid airmass will still pose the risk of some showers and the odd thunderstorm overnight as the main upper low shifts eastwards across southern Britain.

Hi meteorite any chance of storms in the West

Looks a bit out of the firing line tomorrow, if there was some activity maybe East Galway with the best chance i reckon , where is showing up as maybe being fairly active on latest AROME run is the SE and up to to around mid Leinster but as ever can be notoriously difficult to pinpoint Lightning especially Ireland. Spot flooding possible under some of the bigger convection and would imagine some tricky road conditions in the warning counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking forward to hopefully a storm in the Dublin area later. 😎⛈⚡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Things may be kicking off in Laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, getting very dark (SW Laois), just starting to rain lightly now...spoke too soon, hammering down now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin TAF mentions a chance of Thunderstorms this afternoon

TAF

PROB30 TEMPO 2115/2118 2500 +TSRA BKN007 

The main area of precipitation looks to be becoming more organised into a line.

Additionally, winds are forecast to be literally all over the place in the mid afternoon in the East so depending on how the line of precipitation further develops as it moves towards the East, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some funnels or even a few tornados.

Convergence zones will only help. I'd be confident enough of seeing some torrential rain late afternoon/evening and hopefully some lightning to go with it. Small cells but enough for localised flash flooding.

Cells developing in South Dublin. Looking very good too in parts of Kildare.

South Dublin activity is brushing past near me. No thunder or lightning as of yet from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Lashing in Dublin 22 now. It's not that dark, though.

Heavens have opened in Kildare with very angry skies

Thundery shower in North Kildare. Two strikes to my south with rumbles about 15 seconds later.

Couple of flashes of lightning in Kildare now

Interesting radar signature in North Kildare in the past few frames. Possibly an indication of rotation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement