Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

don't know if it's just me or the system, but I could only do the practice test once. I logged in under different email and took screenshots of the numerical tests so I can somewhat work on them at my leisure

Is this happening to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

Anyone from last year’s competition if online tests are by the same provider or have they changed this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

Think you may need to register on the shl website as well. Best to use same email address as PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sparkswife

Hi there, does anyone know if you should get a result from the situational judgement questions on the practice site please?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Don't believe so. I never received any feedback on the practice STJ tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

no it says on the SHL website: "Please note there is no feedback report provided after completion of this practice test."

Does anyone know how many questions there are for the STJ? And are there any personality based questions as well as work scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Carmona83

Remembered my password, had an account from 2020 competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Carmona83

100 all work scenarios. But I guess your answers will reflect your personality to an extent

That's a lot to answer. I read on the booklet that you can pause and go back to it another time or even another day, not sure if that's the case. Don't really want to chance that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

They really don't take that long to answer at all usually as 5 or 6 at a time are about one situation or scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KR65

Does any know the answer to this ? I was interested myself in knowing if for a question to be marked correct you have to have all 5 actions correctly ranked or are there partial marks awarded for individual correct rankings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

I would think that each question should be scored separately, as they (in the past) were individually numbered (1-100). However, PAS never disclose the way the answers are scored, especially with regard to situational judgment questions.

Does anyone know whether the current numerical test requires a lot of calculations or is it more reading the graphs/tables, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I've not seen this year's, but from memory of previous competitions, there's a combination. So you'll get a situation, such as "The performance of Acme company", tabs with different relevant graphs and tables - e.g,, a tab with a graph of sales, costs, and profit across three divisions from three years; another tab with a chart of the breakdown of costs in the three divisions, etc. Some of the questions require no work at all - "Is the growth in profit from Shirts between 2019 and 2020 greater than the growth in profit from Shoes from 2017 to 2018" and you see the data in the graph doesn't cover 2017 at all, so the answer is "Cannot say" (maybe it was just me last time I did one of these, but I got a lot of "Cannot say" answers.

Others might require you to add up the total sales of Shirts over three years to compare to total sales of Trousers over the same period. Some of those calculation ones need a calculator (where the difference between the multiple choice answers is small); some you don't need an exact answer, you just need to be able to eliminate the obviously wrong ones, so you can do the calculation in your head.

For the situational judgement, there is generally no definitively correct answer. I was told previously that all the answers carry a mark, and the closer you match your answers to the preferred sequence of answers, the higher your score will be. Dunno how accurate that was or is, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hello, I read that the verbal and numerical have to be completed in one go. Is this correct? I've set up my account and the tests look to be three different boxes with three different start buttons. Basically I want to just to the numerical today. is that possible? thanks

Yes it is. I just finished the SJT today, and will tackle the other two tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bittiebottom2002

Hi there, does anyone have a link to sample numerical assessments, I really need to practice !

Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Does anyone have any tips on answering the practice SJT? Even the one-question practice example in the pre-test booklet is causing me to be unsure.

I mean take Option (1) for example. I scored this as highly desirable as, although it was reputedly successfully run in the past, there is always room for improvement, right? However, another boss might consider it as undesirable - as it was well run in the past, you are wasting your time and should be networking etc.

Also, regarding workplace cultures, which vary from place to place and country to country, asking staff how I can improve could be seen as a weakness. Nevertheless, I view it personally as desirable. Also, the final option, networking would be seen as good but taking on an interdepartmental report might jeopradize work - desirable/undesirable??

How did ye rate them?

Does PAS give any idea on what they want from this exercise. I fail it all the time and never get any feed back.

I finished all the tests, numerical was disastrous, had to guess the majority of them, I was too time conscious to spend sufficient time doing the calculations. It's safe to say I'm out of it. Also running out of time for Verbal, don't know what I was thinking, kept an eye on the clock, I was doing well up till the last few scenarios and then dwelled upon a few which I shouldn't have.

Best of luck to anyone yet to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭The Student

Same here found both numerical and verbal difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I just did the practise verbal and numerical. Verbal was about the same as I always find it. Numerical though is much more difficult. Consistently for CO, EO, and HEO comps, I've always done better in the numerical so I'm really surprised at the jump. Having to do 5+ calculations for one question causes the time to just eat away.

I'm quite confident, that even before the real exam, I will not be going any further in this comp 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

I am normally not too bothered the Numerical as I aim to do "just enough to pass" but I have my severe doubts this time around. Was spending way too long on certain questions, only to find that the answer I had come up with was not one of the options so felt like I lost a good few valuable minutes!

I was the opposite, I gave up after 20 seconds at it, and sometimes after reading the question I just wildly guessed. Should have got more right rather than pushing through to finishing. Accuracy is more important for the numerical, my guess has always been really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Funnily enough I actually found the numerical to be one of the easier one's I've done. Found I actually had enough time to do some calculations for all the questions, usually I'd be guessing the last few questions with a minute to spare. Maybe from doing so many of them at this stage I've just learned to manage my time a bit better.

Verbal was ok, I've always passed them so not worried from that point of view, although I'm never particularly high on the OOM so probably just a middling score.

The situational assesment is probably a bit of a lottery anyways, some are prob obvious how you rank them but there's many you could argue, so just have to hope I gave the answers they were looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

See my post from further up the page. On the last AP numerical test I did (and passed), I reckon 15% to 20% of my answers were "Not able to say", because data for a year was not given, or they asked you to compare apples and pears but only gave apples and oranges, or similar. Spot those ones quickly, quick your "Can't say" option, and you've doubled your time for the next question where you have to add three columns of figures...

My only tip for this is just go with your gut instinct, don't try to second guess yourself, or what they're looking for.

You'll either get the pass mark, or you won't, and as they won't give proper feedback, there is no point worrying about it as it's not something you can "learn" how to pass. I've easily passed the situational awareness on a few occasions. I've also failed it, and couldn't tell you what I did differently! One year, a colleague and I noted down some of the practice questions from one and gave them to senior staff to answer, and they all answered differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 marley83

Exactly the same happened to me on the Verbal. Felt I was doing alright at the start, then hit a wall with some really tough scenarios and suddenly lost all the time I had gained and ended up guessing the last few. Very annoyed at myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kenrach

Hi late to the party..... In the link to the assessment, can you complete the practice without commencing the actual assessment? Apologies if this has been asked already

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Meadow1013

Yes, practice is available for numerical and verbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maelenn

Hi everyone,

Was just doing the situational judgment and it showed me 16 questions with around 5 options each. However, before starting the test, it had said it would be 100 questions. Are they considering each option as a question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

yes, each statement is numbered and there are 100 of them. Some situations may have 5-8 statements underneath.

I found both verbal and numerical tough. I was not expecting numerical to be so hard, it threw me out.

I will be pleasantly surprised if I passed all the tests.... as I do not hold much hope at this stage.

Best of luck to all.

Advertisement